ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Basketball Thread

This is comparing Purdue and IU, you realize that right? Carsen and Cline have usages that Exceed Romeo and Morgan. I said Romeo would average 17 and 6. Look what he is averaging.

Sasha has an 85 Ortg. Eric Hunter has a 1.4 box +/-. MAC level, right?

A lot of our offensive production will come from 1st year guys with TJD, Brooks, Hunter, and Thompson (out with concussion). We still have other offensive weapons in RP, Green, Durham, and Smith returning though. Those 4 average more ppg than anyone on Purdue outside of EB, and I know you hate EB.

Green and Smith take too many shots. Touting their ppg when they have sub 100 offensive ratings is silly. Devonte Green is shooting 39% from the field.

So if youre saying they will be major players for Indiana next year, that validates my opinion Indiana wont be any good next season. If theyre focal points, extremely unlikely Indiana makes the tournament..
Youre probably wrong though, will probably both transfer.

Green and Smith take too many shots. Touting their ppg when they have sub 100 offensive ratings is silly. Devonte Green is shooting 39% from the field.

So if youre saying they will be major players for Indiana next year, that validates my opinion Indiana wont be any good next season. If theyre focal points, extremely unlikely Indiana makes the tournament..
He keeps stating his opinion and backs it up with opinions. Nothing he says is factual. Could they be good...sure. We just don't know what they will be and as for Hunter he hasn't played because of a illness.

Smith is shooting 57% from the field. He has been highly efficient with the shots he has taken. Also, devonte has the beat Drtg on the team. I wouldn't mind if Green transferred, but Smith isnt going anywhere. I noticed you have continued to fail to make an argument that somehow Purdue will be better than IU next year. I realize it would be a hard argument for even you to make.

He keeps stating his opinion and backs it up with opinions. Nothing he says is factual. Could they be good...sure. We just don't know what they will be and as for Hunter he hasn't played because of a illness.
I've provided stats from the guys on the roster to back up their projections. Obviously there is no college data from the new guys, but 5*/top 50 players usually have a big immediate impact. I believe TJD will have numbers similar to Biggie's freshman season. Brooks will probably be around 10 and 4. We wont have 2 guys that dominate the scoring next year. We will have 5 or 6 guys around 10-12 ppg.

How on earth did this discussion end up talking about next year? The truth is, neither team has done anything to brag about yet this season. Both teams rely heavily on two players who will all be gone next season. The only issue I see here is the amount of insecurity and need for validation the IU fans show here, on a board of a rival team they claim to not care about. I am much more impressed with losses such as Northwestern at home to Michigan and Purdue at Florida State than any win IU has to date. Beating up on mid to lower level teams on your home floor isn’t impressive at all. Remember when IU beat North Carolina early in the season and we saw exactly what we see today and of course they missed the tourney.
Beat some good teams if you want to talk smack. As it stands, Iu fans are merely here seeking out approval that they didn’t lose to Indiana State this year.

Reactions: Schnelk
How on earth did this discussion end up talking about next year? The truth is, neither team has done anything to brag about yet this season. Both teams rely heavily on two players who will all be gone next season. The only issue I see here is the amount of insecurity and need for validation the IU fans show here, on a board of a rival team they claim to not care about. I am much more impressed with losses such as Northwestern at home to Michigan and Purdue at Florida State than any win IU has to date. Beating up on mid to lower level teams on your home floor isn’t impressive at all. Remember when IU beat North Carolina early in the season and we saw exactly what we see today and of course they missed the tourney.
Beat some good teams if you want to talk smack. As it stands, Iu fans are merely here seeking out approval that they didn’t lose to Indiana State this year.
Lol again, we've beat Marquette, Louisville, Butler, and @PSU. Those are really good wins. The only great win is the beatdown of Marquette though.

Smith is shooting 57% from the field. He has been highly efficient with the shots he has taken. Also, devonte has the beat Drtg on the team. I wouldn't mind if Green transferred, but Smith isnt going anywhere. I noticed you have continued to fail to make an argument that somehow Purdue will be better than IU next year. I realize it would be a hard argument for even you to make.

Justin Smith has a -0.8 offensive Box +/-. That is incredibly bad regardless of schedule, but shockingly bad considering the schedule IU has played. Theres really no way to spin him being a good player. He is a mid major guy stuck at a high major level.

I think Indiana will have 2 really good players next year - Armaan Franklin and Al JAMIN Durham. I either dont like or dont know enough about any of their frontcourt options. Although, I do think Keion Brooks is a JJJ level prospect so if they land him then maybe Indiana will be a tournament team.

I didnt realize I was supposed to be making an argument Purdue will be better than IU next year but they certainly will be. Matt Painter has won more B1G games the past 3 years than any other coach and he has another top 20 KenPom team again after losing 4 senior starters, so its safe to follow history and assume the train will continue rolling next year.

HAARMS
Tre Williams
Wheeler
Nojel

Newman most likely will not start but if you add hin to that then:

That core is probably a lock to be a top 20 defensive team. Apparently, Tre Williams has a massive wingspan so its looking like he can provide some rim protection on defense to go with his Happ like offensive scoring. He has a good block % and is blocking shots at a rate of 4 per 100 possessions so far so thats a good sign for him, I think, considering how well he moves.

Speaking of Williams, he looks like a future star to me. The way he moves for his size and the amount of skill he possesses is honestly amazing. Its kind of crazy he wasnt a 5 star prospect but lolrecruiting rankings anyways, amirite?

Tre Williams is Ethan Happs step brother. Hopefully he shoots FTs better than Happ.

Reactions: Schnelk
Justin Smith has a -0.8 offensive Box +/-. That is incredibly bad regardless of schedule, but shockingly bad considering the schedule IU has played. Theres really no way to spin him being a good player. He is a mid major guy stuck at a high major level.

I think Indiana will have 2 really good players next year - Armaan Franklin and Al JAMIN Durham. I either dont like or dont know enough about any of their frontcourt options. Although, I do think Keion Brooks is a JJJ level prospect so if they land him then maybe Indiana will be a tournament team.

I didnt realize I was supposed to be making an argument Purdue will be better than IU next year but they certainly will be. Matt Painter has won more B1G games the past 3 years than any other coach and he has another top 20 KenPom team again after losing 4 senior starters, so its safe to follow history and assume the train will continue rolling next year.

HAARMS
Tre Williams
Wheeler
Nojel

Newman most likely will not start but if you add hin to that then:

That core is probably a lock to be a top 20 defensive team. Apparently, Tre Williams has a massive wingspan so its looking like he can provide some rim protection on defense to go with his Happ like offensive scoring. He has a good block % and is blocking shots at a rate of 4 per 100 possessions so far so thats a good sign for him, I think, considering how well he moves.

Speaking of Williams, he looks like a future star to me. The way he moves for his size and the amount of skill he possesses is honestly amazing. Its kind of crazy he wasnt a 5 star prospect but lolrecruiting rankings anyways, amirite?

Tre Williams is Ethan Happs step brother. Hopefully he shoots FTs better than Happ.
Lol how is the Mid Major type player averaging 9 PPG on 57% shooting? Since you for whatever reason obsess over stupid things like Box +/-, would you agree that Eifert is your third beat offensive player? According to Box +/- he is. What about Haarms .9 Rating? What about Wheeler's .4 rating? Sasha's -.3?

For some reason, I think you would consider TJD a good player had he committed to Purdue. Jerome Hunter seems like a guy that you would normally like as well.

Really good wins? We see you Trojan, we see you.
Feel better?
I'm just trying to discuss basketball. You have an agenda to discredit all things IU. The fact of the matter is we've had a very good season so far and look like one of the 4 best teams in the conference.

Lol how is the Mid Major type player averaging 9 PPG on 57% shooting? Since you for whatever reason obsess over stupid things like Box +/-, would you agree that Eifert is your third beat offensive player? According to Box +/- he is. What about Haarms .9 Rating? What about Wheeler's .4 rating? Sasha's -.3?

For some reason, I think you would consider TJD a good player had he committed to Purdue. Jerome Hunter seems like a guy that you would normally like as well.

Just Smiths offensive rating is 98.6. He is a mac level player. The reason IU fans are so frustrated with him is that hes in over his head. He doesnt belong up here. Hes an undersized power forward with no offensive skill, which is why he turns it over so frequently without generating any assists.

Just Smiths offensive rating is 98.6. He is a mac level player. The reason IU fans are so frustrated with him is that hes in over his head. He doesnt belong up here. Hes an undersized power forward with no offensive skill, which is why he turns it over so frequently without generating any assists.
Lol the only thing wrong with him is that he turns it over too much. He's still a good scorer and rebounder. You refuse to look at anything other than what advanced stats tell you, and that leads to you saying dumb things (ie. Illinois > MSU, and Josh Langford sucks).

I'm just trying to discuss basketball. You have an agenda to discredit all things IU. The fact of the matter is we've had a very good season so far and look like one of the 4 best teams in the conference.
You are on a Purdue board and I have an agenda? You also use the same metrics to value a home Marquette win as you then say is faulty by ranking Purdue higher than any team you have beaten.
Your choice to use a brand new untested rating system to support your views is a great example of your lack of reasoning skills.
Beat somebody good and I’ll give IU credit. The only team Marquette has beaten that is good would be Wisconsin, an instate rival, in their home court. Hardly impressive.

You are on a Purdue board and I have an agenda? You also use the same metrics to value a home Marquette win as you then say is faulty by ranking Purdue higher than any team you have beaten.
Your choice to use a brand new untested rating system to support your views is a great example of your lack of reasoning skills.
Beat somebody good and I’ll give IU credit. The only team Marquette has beaten that is good would be Wisconsin, an instate rival, in their home court. Hardly impressive.
I'm simply using the metric that the committee uses and the metric that determines what quadrant a win is. Marquette has also beat Louisville and Buffalo.

Lol the only thing wrong with him is that he turns it over too much. He's still a good scorer and rebounder. You refuse to look at anything other than what advanced stats tell you, and that leads to you saying dumb things (ie. Illinois > MSU, and Josh Langford sucks).

Josh Langford did suck his first two years. He had a hot start to the year but hes slowly started getting back to his sucking ways again. Shouldnt be long before hes scoring 8 points on 12 shots against B1G level opponents.

I was actually spot on about Illinois talent. They have some really good offensive guards. They just simply run a defensive system predicated on rim protection without a single rim protector. Bo Ryan would have this team competing, Brad Underwood is instead sabotaging them. Big Ten geeks on twitter cover this regularly. Dave Revsine has covered it some. Etc etc.

IU has beaten Butler(29th), Marquette(30), UL(38), NW(45) and PSU(46). That's five Top 50 wins. As for Marquette, they have beaten Wisconsin, UL and Buffalo. Took Kansas to the wire.

WHo has Purdue beaten aside from Maryland at home?

You have it backwards.....Purdue had ONE good win. Indiana has 5.

IU has beaten Butler(29th), Marquette(30), UL(38), NW(45) and PSU(46). That's five Top 50 wins. As for Marquette, they have beaten Wisconsin, UL and Buffalo. Took Kansas to the wire.

Only one of those 5 teams are tournament teams at the end of the year and thats a maybe (Marquette) since they play in a terrible league and will need to win a lot of games.

Still possible Archie is 0-fer on beating tournament teams after the Duke demolition and going 0 for 9 in such games last year.

Im sure that wont stop IU fans from acting like IUis a final four team though. Theyre a fringe top 25 team and IU fans are talking about them as if theyre a national championship contender.

You guys even come to our board and post about it nonstop as if youre desperate to get our approval or something.

Since you called it at home. Who the heck has IU beaten on the road? PSU isn't that good and you know it. So what real road victory do you have? I guess that leaves PSU. Look at who they got beat by and who we played on the road vs you guys. No close is it? That's what I thought.

Only one of those 5 teams are tournament teams at the end of the year and thats a maybe (Marquette) since they play in a terrible league and will need to win a lot of games.

Still possible Archie is 0-fer on beating tournament teams after the Duke demolition and going 0 for 9 in such games last year.

Im sure that wont stop IU fans from acting like IUis a final four team though. Theyre a fringe top 25 team and IU fans are talking about them as if theyre a national championship contender.

You guys even come to our board and post about it nonstop as if youre desperate to get our approval or something.
It's just fun to try and watch you spin IU as a bad team and Purdue as a good team. Butler, Marquette, and Louisville are all tournament teams. Maryland and Davisdon might not be though...

Reactions: jace465555

You have beaten no one....Yet want to discredit that IU has 5 Top wins. I am pretty sure if it were the other way around, those wins would be viewed a lot differently. Fact is, IU is 11-2, with five Top 50 wins. Purdue is 7-5 , with ONE top 50 win. Those are the facts. But for some reason, a fact lover as you are, you want to disregard this....Why? Is it because its IU, and not Purdue?

Where has any IU fan talked about IU being a national title contender? I haven't seen such talk. You sre right-----IU is a fringe Top 25 team. No argument there. What is Purdue?

No one needs your, or any PU fans approval. Its hilarious you think that. Just discussing basketball here, Mr. Genius...I mean, Illinois is better than MSU...Romeo wont be among the Big 10 top frosh...So on and so on.. Yet you talk about others takes, and the need for approval...???

Gold.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
They are 4-8 after a beatdown by Missouri. YOu said they would be better than MSU. Ok. Sounds spot on to me...:rolleyes:

That was as wrong as you saying Romeo Langford could shoot.

It's just fun to try and watch you spin IU as a bad team and Purdue as a good team. Butler, Marquette, and Louisville are all tournament teams. Maryland and Davisdon might not be though...

I dont spin anything, I just tell it like it is. Speaking of spin, youre the one trying to tell us Justin Smith and Devonte Green are B1G level players because they shoot a lot.

You say alot of probables. Sounds like your opinion again

Since you called it at home. Who the heck has IU beaten on the road? PSU isn't that good and you know it. So what real road victory do you have? I guess that leaves PSU. Look at who they got beat by and who we played on the road vs you guys. No close is it? That's what I thought.
Oh, so now its home and away? Ok, fine. We have beaten two NCAA teams at home---UL and Marquette. Another possible NCAA team, Butler, in Indy. PSU isn't that good. But as of now, its a TOp 50 win. Probably will stay that way.

Point is---If it were Purdue with these wins---you would be touting just as IU fans are. But its not---SO you won't. I get it. A rivalry thing. Is what it is. But facts are, as of NOW, IU has five Top 50 wins. So to say they haven't beaten anyone is silly. Especially when Purdue has one such win.

I dont spin anything, I just tell it like it is. Speaking of spin, youre the one trying to tell us Justin Smith and Devonte Green are B1G level players because they shoot a lot.
I stick by Romeo can shoot. He's simply struggling from three. But hey, as of now---I am wrong. But c'mon, dude. ALmost everything you have said, has been wrong:

Illinois better than MSU.
Josh Langford....
Romeo Langford..

YUou have swung and missed on all of these. And its no surprise....You rely to much on stats.

You have beaten no one....Yet want to discredit that IU has 5 Top wins. I am pretty sure if it were the other way around, those wins would be viewed a lot differently. Fact is, IU is 11-2, with five Top 50 wins. Purdue is 7-5 , with ONE top 50 win. Those are the facts. But for some reason, a fact lover as you are, you want to disregard this....Why? Is it because its IU, and not Purdue?

Where has any IU fan talked about IU being a national title contender? I haven't seen such talk. You sre right-----IU is a fringe Top 25 team. No argument there. What is Purdue?

No one needs your, or any PU fans approval. Its hilarious you think that. Just discussing basketball here, Mr. Genius...I mean, Illinois is better than MSU...Romeo wont be among the Big 10 top frosh...So on and so on.. Yet you talk about others takes, and the need for approval...???

Gold.

When you call these wins "Top 50 wins" what exactly are you basing that on?

That doesnt make sense. Justin Smith doesnt shoot a lot as you are trying to imply. He shoots a very high percentage.

I stick by Romeo can shoot. He's simply struggling from three. But hey, as of now---I am wrong. But c'mon, dude. ALmost everything you have said, has been wrong:

Josh Langford....
Romeo Langford..

YUou have swung and missed on all of these. And its no surprise....You rely to much on stats.

Nobody has ever been more right about anything than I was about Romeo Langford. I tried telling you guys he couldnt shoot and used a ton of evidence that showed he couldnt. You didnt want to believe me, and youre so embarrassed how wrong you were that youre still saying dumb things like Romeo can shoot eveb though hes 22% from 3.

Hes a terrible shooter and an inefficient chucker.

Oh, so now its home and away? Ok, fine. We have beaten two NCAA teams at home---UL and Marquette. Another possible NCAA team, Butler, in Indy. PSU isn't that good. But as of now, its a TOp 50 win. Probably will stay that way.

Point is---If it were Purdue with these wins---you would be touting just as IU fans are. But its not---SO you won't. I get it. A rivalry thing. Is what it is. But facts are, as of NOW, IU has five Top 50 wins. So to say they haven't beaten anyone is silly. Especially when Purdue has one such win.
I simply implied the home statement that you made. When reversed it just doesn't sound that great. Good wins but not great. Last year when we were beating everyone I wasn't talking smack especially on a rival board and we were a top 5 team all year.

You say alot of probables. Sounds like your opinion again
We are halfway through the season. Marquette and Butler are tournament teams for sure, Louisville still has some work to do, but they have solid non con wins. Maryland hasnt beaten anyone, and have some bad losses. They look like a bottom half of the big ten team. That's not a tournament team. Davidson has no good wins, and has losses to Temple and wake forest. That doesnt sound like a tournament team either.

Gold.
We haven’t beaten anyone. Yet, we aren’t on your site seeking the approval y’all are seeking by coming here. If you didn’t care about our approval, you wouldn’t be here.
As for the wins you have, y’all are using an unproven ratings system that is lacking data just like the rest. Kenpom our performs Vegas oddsmakers year after year. This is why most reasonable fans use it over the NET that claimed OSU as #1 in the nation early on.

Since it’s clear IU fans are seeking our approval, come back on February 3rd and we can look at what the predictive rating systems look like when their data reflects only this season and has enough data where teams play real games and on the road instead of using IU winning games at home it should win.

I can tell you now that if IU can exceed .500 between now and Feb. 3rd, I’ll say they are good. As of now, just like you say we would feel differently if the wins records were switched, it’s clear the same goes for y’all. But, right this second, the most accurate predictive ratings system has Purdue higher than both IU and any team it has beaten.

Reactions: Chibooms
When you call these wins "Top 50 wins" what exactly are you basing that on?
KenPom is one.... All five are Top 50 wins

RPI is the other---UL, Marquette and Butler..

Net Ratings---UL, Marquette, Butler and NW..

BPI has four---Mar, UL, Butler and NW...

Anythiing else?

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
Nobody has ever been more right about anything than I was about Romeo Langford. I tried telling you guys he couldnt shoot and used a ton of evidence that showed he couldnt. You didnt want to believe me, and youre so embarrassed how wrong you were that youre still saying dumb things like Romeo can shoot eveb though hes 22% from 3.

Hes a terrible shooter and an inefficient chucker.
An inefficient checker that is shooting over 50% from the field. You cant be as dumb as you come off.

We haven’t beaten anyone. Yet, we aren’t on your site seeking the approval y’all are seeking by coming here. If you didn’t care about our approval, you wouldn’t be here.
As for the wins you have, y’all are using an unproven ratings system that is lacking data just like the rest. Kenpom our performs Vegas oddsmakers year after year. This is why most reasonable fans use it over the NET that claimed OSU as #1 in the nation early on.

Since it’s clear IU fans are seeking our approval, come back on February 3rd and we can look at what the predictive rating systems look like when their data reflects only this season and has enough data where teams play real games and on the road instead of using IU winning games at home it should win.

I can tell you now that if IU can exceed .500 between now and Feb. 3rd, I’ll say they are good. As of now, just like you say we would feel differently if the wins records were switched, it’s clear the same goes for y’all. But, right this second, the most accurate predictive ratings system has Purdue higher than both IU and any team it has beaten.
This approval thingy is funny....Dude I couldn't give two fcks what you think. Just trying to educate your ignorant $^%&....

Like i said...If this were vice versa, you'd be defending PU just as well. Bottom line is simple: YOu guys are 7-5 and reality is setting in. I get it....I really do.

Josh Langford....
Romeo Langford..

By the way, I always told people the real Josh Langford shows up every year once conference play hits.

He now has more turnovers than assists, which has been a staple of his game.

In MSUs two conference games, hes 9 of 25 from the field. He had a hot start early, but hes assuredly going to end up being terrible again once he has to face conference opponents night in and night out.

Hes 36% from the field in those games. His True Shooting % is .503 in the 2 conference games. Hes slowly but surely proving me right again.

KenPom is one.... All five are Top 50 wins

RPI is the other---UL, Marquette and Butler..

Net Ratings---UL, Marquette, Butler and NW..

BPI has four---Mar, UL, Butler and NW...

Anythiing else?

Oh ok, KenPom says Purdue is better than Indiana so keep that same energy and admit it then. Cant use KP to drive your narrative and then ignore the reality of it.

This approval thingy is funny....Dude I couldn't give two fcks what you think. Just trying to educate your ignorant $^%&....

Like i said...If this were vice versa, you'd be defending PU just as well. Bottom line is simple: YOu guys are 7-5 and reality is setting in. I get it....I really do.

Borden I dont go to Indiana boards to seek put your and Nc trojans opinion on things.

Youre quoting me in a thread I created on a Purdue board. That says it all, you two want my approval. When Indiana is actually good, you can come back and I'll give it to you. But since they arent yet, youll have to settle for nothing right now.

You obviously do because you replied and you may want to stop being a internet tough guy as well.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
By the way, I always told people the real Josh Langford shows up every year once conference play hits.

He now has more turnovers than assists, which has been a staple of his game.

In MSUs two conference games, hes 9 of 25 from the field. He had a hot start early, but hes assuredly going to end up being terrible again once he has to face conference opponents night in and night out.

Hes 36% from the field in those games. His True Shooting % is .503 in the 2 conference games. Hes slowly but surely proving me right again.
Is Illinois still better? ANyways.....Langford is still averaging 16ppg.....4 rpg....2 apg. So, I mean, there is that. Lets revisit a month from now....Or a couple of weeks..... But so far, you are wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT