ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Basketball Thread

"Our wins are good because KenPom says they are but Purdue isnt better than us even though KenPom says they are."

A lot of wanting and spinning from the Indiana contingent on the board today.

But enough about those scrubs. Time to get my thread back on topic.

My all conference team so far

1st team
Cassius Winston
Carsen Edwards
James Palmer JR
Ethan Happ
Jon Teske

2nd team
Anthony Cowan
Dmitrik Trice
IGNAS
Tyler Cook
Nick Ward

Frosh of the year - IGNAS in a runaway landslide

Defensive player of the year - Jon Teske in a landslide

Player of the year - Ethan Happ over Carsen Edwards slightly

Oh ok, KenPom says Purdue is better than Indiana so keep that same energy and admit it then. Cant use KP to drive your narrative and then ignore the reality of it.
Yeah, just ignore the other 4-5 polls that say otherwise....Like, the AP, coaches poll, RPI, Net and BPI..

LMAO.....Purdue is rated higher in ONE poll...But its that ONE poll that's driving my narrative?

Sheesh.

Is Illinois still better? ANyways.....Langford is still averaging 16ppg.....4 rpg....2 apg. So, I mean, there is that. Lets revisit a month from now....Or a couple of weeks..... But so far, you are wrong.

Illinois is the worst team in the conference because Brad Underwood is the worst coach in the conference. Big Ten geeks do a great job of illustarting how dumb his defensive philosophy is. Hes terrible.

Josh Langford is rounding into form Borden. Just wait and see.

"Our wins are good because KenPom says they are but Purdue isnt better than us even though KenPom says they are."

My all conference team so far

1st team
Cassius Winston
Carsen Edwards
James Palmer JR
Ethan Happ
Jon Teske

2nd team
Anthony Cowan
Dmitrik Trice
IGNAS
Tyler Cook
Nick Ward

Frosh of the year - IGNAS in a runaway landslide

Defensive player of the year - Jon Teske in a landslide

Player of the year - Ethan Happ over Carsen Edwards slightly
My all conference team so far:

1st:

Happ
Cash
Morgan
Palmer
Ward

2nd:

Romeo
Ignas
Cook
Stevens
Cowan

Frosh: Romeo

Defensive: Happ

POY: Happ in a landslide

Reactions: Mgkcbb

LOL....Yeah nevermind IU being rated higher in the AP poll, , Coaches poll, BPI, Net ratings, RPI, etc, etc...Only reason Purdue is higher in Kenpom is b/c they started higher. Pretty simple. Biut that gap is closing; PU is 19, IU is 22nd.

ANd dude, you know Purdue isn't better.

Yeah, just ignore the other 4-5 polls that say otherwise....Like, the AP, coaches poll, RPI, Net and BPI..

LMAO.....Purdue is rated higher in ONE poll...But its that ONE poll that's driving my narrative?

Sheesh.

NET rankings have been roundly mocked and criticized. They wont be accurate until February. It would be embarrassing for most people to even use them right now, but I know youve been desperate to try and claim superiority over Purdue after Painters been dumptrucking Indiana the past couple years. 7 of the last 8 and 4 in a row iirc.

Barttorvik.com, KenPom, and ESPNs BPI all have Purdue higher than Indiana.

Even in a down year for Painter and Archies best year ever, Painter is still better than Archie. Tough scene.

Illinois is the worst team in the conference because Brad Underwood is the worst coach in the conference. Big Ten geeks do a great job of illustarting how dumb his defensive philosophy is. Hes terrible.

Josh Langford is rounding into form Borden. Just wait and see.
If Underwood is so bad, then why did you think Illinois would be better? Seems a basketball guru as yourself would have seen this???? Isn't there some type of stats for coaches too?

Facts are-----Illinois is awful. Tried to tell you. Romeo Langford is one of the best frosh in the Big 10. If not the best. Josh Langford is averaging 16ppg .Indiana has five Top 50 wins...All facts. A guy such as yourself, a facts guy, it surprises me why you deny all this. WHy?

NET rankings have been roundly mocked and criticized. They wont be accurate until February. It would be embarrassing for most people to even use them right now, but I know youve been desperate to try and claim superiority over Purdue after Painters been dumptrucking Indiana the past couple years. 7 of the last 8 and 4 in a row iirc.

Even in a down year for Painter and Archies best year ever, Painter is still better than Archie. Tough scene.
Millers been at IU for a year and a half.....His best is yet to come. And you know this. Its why you're so tore up. Even with a ton of injuries, he still has IU at 11-2,with 5 Top 50 wins, ranked 22nd. Purdue with Superman, is 7-5. And has your fan base calling for his head.

IU is rated higher in the AP poll, Coaches Poll, Net Ratings, RPI. So congrats on being a spot or two better in KenPom and the BPI. In time, as IU wins, and Purdue continues to struggle, that too will change.

If Underwood is so bad, then why did you think Illinois would be better? Seems a basketball guru as yourself would have seen this???? Isn't there some type of stats for coaches too?

Facts are-----Illinois is awful. Tried to tell you. Romeo Langford is one of the best frosh in the Big 10. If not the best. Josh Langford is averaging 16ppg .Indiana has five Top 50 wins...All facts. A guy such as yourself, a facts guy, it surprises me why you deny all this. WHy?

Ive always said Josh Langford kills it in non con when half of his ganes are against low majors, but whenever he faces conference opponents on a nightly basis and gets gameplanned against, he turns into the Josh Langford we see again now - 36% from the field in conference play. More turnovers than assists on the year.

Hes averaging 13 shot attempts per game in conference play already despite only connecting on 36% of them, so the casual fans like yourself will be tricked into thinking hes good since hes in double figures scoring. The rest of us will.know better though.

I was under the impression Underwood was a good coach. Kinda like how you used to argue Crean was a better coach than Beilein.

But then I saw the light this year.

Couldn't the same be said with KenPom? Not that reliable in the eearly season is what I;ve heard from you...Shall I post that quote? Talk about using someting to fit your agenda.

As for the past...Not concerned. Its meaningless. Purdue did own IU. That was under Crean. But even Crean had his stretch; I think 4-5 straight? Anyways....Thats changing, and well, you know this. Archie is locking the state up....You know this. First it was Romeo..then TJD....Soon to be Brooks. Went and stole Phinisee out of your kitchen. Times are changing McBoob. And you know this,

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
Millers been at IU for a year and a half.....His best is yet to come. And you know this. Its why you're so tore up. Even with a ton of injuries, he still has IU at 11-2,with 5 Top 50 wins, ranked 22nd. Purdue with Superman, is 7-5. And has your fan base calling for his head.

IU is rated higher in the AP poll, Coaches Poll, Net Ratings, RPI. So congrats on being a spot or two better in KenPom and the BPI. In time, as IU wins, and Purdue continues to struggle, that too will change.

Using net ratings and rpi as some sort of indicator of strength.

Lipscomb and San Fransisco are both rated higher than Villanova and Kentucky in NET rankings lol. Dont you ever get tired of looking like an idiot just to push a narrative nobody believes anyways Borden? I mean, do you even research the dumb things you argue before you say them?

Ohwow.jpg

Reactions: Schnelk
Ive always said Josh Langford kills it in non con when half of his ganes are against low majors, .
LOL....

Vs Kansas---- 18 points, 4 rebounds.
Vs Texas---29 points, 5 rebounds
Vs Lousiville, 15 points, 5 rebounds..

Did not realize KU, UT and UL were low majors...

Could it be he's better? And just like any other player going into conference play, has struggles? Conference play is different. Teams are familiar with you. SO its normal for numbers to go down. Doesn't mean you are regressing. Just means teams are better prepared for you. As I said, stats don't always tell the story. But mnan you love them dont' you?

Couldn't the same be said with KenPom? Not that reliable in the eearly season is what I;ve heard from you...Shall I post that quote? Talk about using someting to fit your agenda.

As for the past...Not concerned. Its meaningless. Purdue did own IU. That was under Crean. But even Crean had his stretch; I think 4-5 straight? Anyways....Thats changing, and well, you know this. Archie is locking the state up....You know this. First it was Romeo..then TJD....Soon to be Brooks. Went and stole Phinisee out of your kitchen. Times are changing McBoob. And you know this,

No doubt the shady recruitment of Romeo helped IU get a few others this year. Congratulations!

Using net ratings and rpi as some sort of indicator of strength.

Lipscomb and San Fransisco are both rated higher than Villanova and Kentucky in NET rankings lol. Dont you ever get tired of looking like an idiot just to push a narrative nobody believes anyways Borden? I mean, do you even research the dumb things you argue before you say them?

Ohwow.jpg
SOmeting tells me if I asked you what measure you were using for Purdue's Top 50 wins, you wouldn't be laughing. But hey, it fits your narrative.

So lets tick with Kenpom....YOu know the one where Purdue is rated higher? I am sure you'll have no issue with that. Indiana has five TOp 50 wins, via KenPom. ANd soon, IU will move ahead of Purdue. That's reality. Purdue just ins't very good. 7-5 don't lie.

LOL....

Vs Kansas---- 18 points, 4 rebounds.
Vs Texas---29 points, 5 rebounds
Vs Lousiville, 15 points, 5 rebounds..

Did not realize KU, UT and UL were low majors...

Could it be he's better? And just like any other player going into conference play, has struggles? Conference play is different. Teams are familiar with you. SO its normal for numbers to go down. Doesn't mean you are regressing. Just means teams are better prepared for you. As I said, stats don't always tell the story. But mnan you love them dont' you?

Josh Langford was a combined 10 of 25 from the field vs Louisville and Lansas combined. He had 6 turnovers to only 3 assists in those games.

In addition to that, the guy he guarded the entire game vs Kansas went off and was Kansas leading scorer that night in his first ever college basketball game.

Thanks for proving my point that you only look at point totals and dont understand basketball.

Once again, Kenpom, which is a proven reliable system, will have enough data to not use preseason in less than 30 days. It has a system built in that weights outliers and as each game is played, it relies less and less on preseason data. Do you know if the NET does this? No, it doesn’t as this is the first season using it and it there is zero data supporting its accuracy. It may be the best thing since sliced bread, but we don’t know that. If you want to claim “we’re back” after playing a less than stellar scheduled thus far, feel free. To do so here screams insecurity. That’s all I am saying.

Josh Langford was a combined 10 of 25 from the field vs Louisville and Lansas combined. He had 6 turnovers to only 3 assists in those games.

In addition to that, the guy he guarded the entire game vs Kansas went off and was Kansas leading scorer that night in his first ever college basketball game.

Thanks for proving my point that you only look at point totals and dont understand basketball.
I don't understand basketball? This coming from a guy who said Illinois would be better than MSU is gold...... Or that Romeo Langofrd wouldn't be among the better frosh in the conference....

Spin, spin, spin......You said he puts up numbers vs LOW majors. I showed you where he scored 18, 29 and 15 vs KU, UT and UL....So what do you do? Move onto another stat....Just golden.

1085760.gif

BTW, Phinisee signed before Romeo.....You know, that kid from WL that Painter whiffed on...

Is it really whiffing if Phinissee isnt very good? Hes averaging 7 points per game and has scored 3 points or less a third of his games. You can get that sort of production from nearly anyone.

Once again, Kenpom, which is a proven reliable system, will have enough data to not use preseason in less than 30 days. It has a system built in that weights outliers and as each game is played, it relies less and less on preseason data. Do you know if the NET does this? No, it doesn’t as this is the first season using it and it there is zero data supporting its accuracy. It may be the best thing since sliced bread, but we don’t know that. If you want to claim “we’re back” after playing a less than stellar scheduled thus far, feel free. To do so here screams insecurity. That’s all I am saying.
Insecurity? I was aksed what system(s) had IU with Top 50 wins. So I posted them. How is that being insecure?

Where have I claimed IU as "being back"? Please show me. I thought it was weird you said, "when IU beats somebody good, I'll give them credit". SO I showed you where they beat UL, Marquette, Butler; I'll leave out PSU and NW. Those are three, solid wins. I posted them as Top 50 wins. Was asked about it. Provided info asked for. Thats being insecure, and procliming IU as back?

Ok.

I don't understand basketball? This coming from a guy who said Illinois would be better than MSU is gold...... Or that Romeo Langofrd wouldn't be among the better frosh in the conference....

Spin, spin, spin......You said he puts up numbers vs LOW majors. I showed you where he scored 18, 29 and 15 vs KU, UT and UL....So what do you do? Move onto another stat....Just golden.

Borden, youre either really dumb or a deliberate troll.

Ive showed time and time again for the past year that he takes a lot of shots and shoots poorly from the field, but always tricks casual fans who dont understand basketball into thinking hes good because he ends up in double figures.

You turn around and prove this today by citing that he scored in double figures vs good teams. I show you that he did it ny chucking up a ton of shots and making very few of them while also turning it over double the amount of assists he genrates while also being a poor defender.

You somehow still get out of this that all that matters is that he scored in double figures, not that he went 10 of 25 from the field to do it. If a player goes 5 of 22 from the field and scores 10 points, he had a better game in your eyes than someone who went 4 of 4 and only scored 8. Crazy.

I can only hope youre trolling and not actually this dense. But, you are a referee, so its entirely possible this isnt all an act.

Is it really whiffing if Phinissee isnt very good? Hes averaging 7 points per game and has scored 3 points or less a third of his games. You can get that sort of production from nearly anyone.
MAn, you are bad. Phinisee would start immediately at Purdue. YOu guys have a thread some 900 pages long asking HOW Painter missed this kid,. He's averaging 7ppg, 3.5 apg...Has 42 assist to 20 turovers. SHoots 44% from three.

Your PG? Yeah.....5 ppg, 23 assists to 16 turnovers. His shooting? Yeah, ummm, we'll leave that alone.

So no---apparently youain't getting that type of production.

THis post is the epitome of you....Just terrible. You guys would take RP in a heart beat.

MAn, you are bad. Phinisee would start immediately at Purdue. YOu guys have a thread some 900 pages long asking HOW Painter missed this kid,. He's averaging 7ppg, 3.5 apg...Has 42 assist to 20 turovers. SHoots 44% from three.

Your PG? Yeah.....5 ppg, 23 assists to 16 turnovers. His shooting? Yeah, ummm, we'll leave that alone.

So no---apparently youain't getting that type of production.

THis post is the epitome of you....Just terrible. You guys would take RP in a heart beat.

Phinisee wouldnt start for Purdue. Purdues point guard is a first team all american and one of the nations leader in scoring.

Nojel Eastern is an elite defender and shooting 60% from the field.

Ryan Cline is averaging 14 points per game with a True Shooting % of .606 and a 18.3 PER. Hes one of the better guards in the entire conference.

Im not sure he would play at all at Purdue. Maybe he would take Eric Hunters minutes? Not sure he will even have minutes to take once Painter shortens the rotation.

Borden, youre either really dumb or a deliberate troll.

Ive showed time and time again for the past year that he takes a lot of shots and shoots poorly from the field, but always tricks casual fans who dont understand basketball into thinking hes good because he ends up in double figures.

You turn around and prove this today by citing that he scored in double figures vs good teams. I show you that he did it ny chucking up a ton of shots and making very few of them while also turning it over double the amount of assists he genrates while also being a poor defender.

You somehow still get out of this that all that matters is that he scored in double figures, not that he went 10 of 25 from the field to do it. If a player goes 5 of 22 from the field and scores 10 points, he had a better game in your eyes than someone who went 4 of 4 and only scored 8. Crazy.

I can only hope youre trolling and not actually this dense. But, you are a referee, so its entirely possible this isnt all an act.
I will say this, you are terrific at spinning things. You say he only scores versus LOW majors. I show you where he scored 18, 29 and 15 vs KU, UL and Texas...SO now you want to move onto, "well he took a lot of shots". Ok, that is fine...So lets talk about taking a lot of shots.

Carsen Edwards averages 20 shots a game. He averages 26ppg.
Josh Langford averages 12 shots a game.....He averages 16ppg.

SO is fair to say Carsen is just as much as a "chucker"? Edwards damn near averages more 3 point shot attempts per game(9.8) than Langford does overall fga(12). SO can I call Carsen a chucker? Or is 44% on 20 FGA per game, good enough to keep him out of "chucker" talk? If so, then why isn't 46% on 12 FGA per game?

Just asking.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
Phinisee wouldnt start for Purdue. Purdues point guard is a first team all american and one of the nations leader in scoring.

Nojel Eastern is an elite defender and shooting 60% from the field.

Ryan Cline is averaging 14 points per game with a True Shooting % of .606 and a 18.3 PER. Hes one of the better guards in the entire conference.

Im not sure he would play at all at Purdue. Maybe he would take Eric Hunters minutes? Not sure he will even have minutes to take once Painter shortens the rotation.
Talk about trolling.....:eek:

Eastern is shooting 60% on lay-ups, and 5-footers. Dudes a terrible shooter. But way to mask that with, "he's shooting 60% from the floor". ANd you talk about hiding behind numbers?

I did not know Carsen was Purdue's PG. But for all that he does, I'm not surprised. Hell it wouldn't surprise me if he drove the bus and flew the plane as well.

Pretty odd that a kid Purdue wanted badly, wouldn't play. Weird indeed. Man some of you are gawd awful homers...

Talk about trolling.....:eek:

Eastern is shooting 60% on lay-ups, and 5-footers. Dudes a terrible shooter. But way to mask that with, "he's shooting 60% from the floor". ANd you talk about hiding behind numbers?

I did not know Carsen was Purdue's PG. But for all that he does, I'm not surprised. Hell it wouldn't surprise me if he drove the bus and flew the plane as well.

Pretty odd that a kid Purdue wanted badly, wouldn't play. Weird indeed. Man some of you are gawd awful homers...
Wow! But who would be the bigger Homer? A guy spewing how great a #22 ranked team or goes to his rival board to ask for approval from a rival.

I will say this, you are terrific at spinning things. You say he only scores versus LOW majors. I show you where he scored 18, 29 and 15 vs KU, UL and Texas...SO now you want to move onto, "well he took a lot of shots". Ok, that is fine...So lets talk about taking a lot of shots.

Carsen Edwards averages 20 shots a game. He averages 26ppg.
Josh Langford averages 12 shots a game.....He averages 16ppg.

SO is fair to say Carsen is just as much as a "chucker"? Edwards damn near averages more 3 point shot attempts per game(9.8) than Langford does overall fga(12). SO can I call Carsen a chucker? Or is 44% on 20 FGA per game, good enough to keep him out of "chucker" talk? If so, then why isn't 46% on 12 FGA per game?

Just asking.

Do try to keep up. Ive always said Langford will kill it in non conference, but its the conference play that ends up doing him in when teams gameplan to bait him into taking those long contested 2 point jumpers he seems to love so much.

He was good in non con his first two seasons and then was a disaster in conference play both those years, last year especially. This year has been the same old song and dance for him going 9 of 25 in his first two games. One of those was against Iowa and we know how little tbey try on defense. And who knows Borden, maybe he will magically figure it out this year and finally be good in conference play, or maybe he will be terrible like he has been the first 2+ seasons of his career.

Do try to keep up. Ive always said Langford will kill it in non conference, but its the conference play that ends up doing him in when teams gameplan to bait him into taking those long contested 2 point jumpers he seems to love so much.

He was good in non con his first two seasons and then was a disaster in conference play both those years, last year especially. This year has been the same old song and dance for him going 9 of 25 in his first two games. One of those was against Iowa and we know how little tbey try on defense. And who knows Borden, maybe he will magically figure it out this year and finally be good in conference play, or maybe he will be terrible like he has been the first 2+ seasons of his career.
You didn't answer the question.... Edwards takes 20 shots a game....Averages 26ppg. Langford takes 12 shots a game....Averages 16ppg. You call Langford a "chucker". Just wanting to know if you consider Carsen one as well?

Is it not possible Langford can get better? Or are you are what you are as afresh/soph?

Wow! But who would be the bigger Homer? A guy spewing how great a #22 ranked team or goes to his rival board to ask for approval from a rival.
Where did I ask for approval? I mean asking a Purdue fan for approval , would be like asking approval on heart surgery from an eye doctor.

Spweing how great they are? Where have I done that? You guys are just insecure. I know it stinks that you will always be in Indiana's shadow. I get that. But thats no reason to fabricate stuff. I never said IU was great. Just better than Purdue. Don't need to be great to accomplish that.

Where did I ask for approval? I mean asking a Purdue fan for approval , would be like asking approval on heart surgery from an eye doctor.

Spweing how great they are? Where have I done that? You guys are just insecure. I know it stinks that you will always be in Indiana's shadow. I get that. But thats no reason to fabricate stuff. I never said IU was great. Just better than Purdue. Don't need to be great to accomplish that.
You're over here...says enough. Thanks for clarifying that for us.

You didn't answer the question.... Edwards takes 20 shots a game....Averages 26ppg. Langford takes 12 shots a game....Averages 16ppg. You call Langford a "chucker". Just wanting to know if you consider Carsen one as well?

Is it not possible Langford can get better? Or are you are what you are as afresh/soph?

Carsen Edwards is definitely a chucker. Anyone who takes a lot of shots is a chucker to me.

Obviously, almost all players get better every year. The problem with Langford is that he has such low basketball IQ.

On a team with Cassius Winston, Jaren Jackson JR, Miles Bridges, and Nick Ward, nobody should ever be taking double digit shots per game. I dont care who they are.

Langford took 10 shots per game in conference play last year playing on that team (of course he still only scored 10 points per game taking those 10 shots per game lol). Imagine having those 4 as teammates and being dumb enough to chuck up 10 shots per game. Shouldve probably only taken 3 shots per game, he somehow managed to take 10 per game despite only being 38% from the field.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Carsen Edwards is definitely a chucker. Anyone who takes a lot of shots is a chucker to me.

Obviously, almost all players get better every year. The problem with Langford is that he has such low basketball IQ.

On a team with Cassius Winston, Jaren Jackson JR, Miles Bridges, and Nick Ward, nobody should ever be taking double digit shots per game. I dont care who they are.

Langford took 10 shots per game in conference play last year playing on that team (of course he still only scored 10 points per game taking those 10 shots per game lol). Imagine having those 4 as teammates and being dumb enough to chuck up 10 shots per game. Shouldve probably only taken 3 shots per game, he somehow managed to take 10 per game despite only being 38% from the field.
Thanks for answering...Just didn't know what to think of a guy taking 20 shots a game, averaging 26 points; and damn near 10 three's(9.8). Opposed to a guy taking 12 shots, averaging 16.

You're over here...says enough. Thanks for clarifying that for us.
I know, weird..Talking basketball, on a basketball board. Amazing. I mean, who would have thought?

Talking basketball, on a basketball board, is asking for approval? So when I post about IU, on the national board, an I asking for national approval? Same thing for you guys....When your fans come over to the IU board---are they seeking approval also? When your fans post on the national board, are they too asking for national approval?

You see how childish your response is?

Thanks for answering...Just didn't know what to think of a guy taking 20 shots a game, averaging 26 points; and damn near 10 three's(9.8). Opposed to a guy taking 12 shots, averaging 16.

Carsen should be attempting even more 3s than he already does IMO. Whenever youre an elite shooter, the more 3s the better.

Basically, the only players who should attempt less 3s are the guys who cant shoot. Romeo Langford, Nojel Eastern, etc.

And Nojels already figured that out, which is why hes so efficient. 60% from the field.

I know, weird..Talking basketball, on a basketball board. Amazing. I mean, who would have thought?

Talking basketball, on a basketball board, is asking for approval? So when I post about IU, on the national board, an I asking for national approval? Same thing for you guys....When your fans come over to the IU board---are they seeking approval also? When your fans post on the national board, are they too asking for national approval?

You see how childish your response is?
Once again you try and spin things. This is.....a flipping Purdue board and you keep talking strictly about how great IU is or that they are superior of the rival board you're on. Man, kid you're truly lost.

Reactions: Mgkcbb
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT