ADVERTISEMENT

B1G 18, 20 or 24

ghostoffatjack

Sophomore
Jun 15, 2013
Where is the B1G headed now? The ACC has balked temporally on adding West Coast teams. Too many ACC Presidents don’t see the need and what they could add financially to the Conference! FSU, Clemson, North Carolina, Duke plus Stanford and Cal are out there! Your thoughts!

Where is the B1G headed now? The ACC has balked temporally on adding West Coast teams. Too many ACC Presidents don’t see the need and what they could add financially to the Conference! FSU, Clemson, North Carolina, Duke plus Stanford and Cal are out there! Your thoughts!
ACC teams are stuck until 2036 it seems.

Stanford and Cal are dead weight from an additional eyeballs standpoint.

I’d stay at 18 for now.

I think you take Stanford and California if they want to join.
Someone on the IU board had a great idea for two divisions:

Purdue
IU
Michigan
MSU
OSU
Ill
Wisky
Iowa
Northwestern
Minny

USC
UCLA
Oregon
Washington
Stanford
Cal
Nebraska
Rutgers
Maryland
PSU

East and west, play your division plus one or two from the other each year. And if NW drops sports, add ND to the west.

• Haha
Reactions: rezzerfly
Many say schools inside the acc and sec would never leave their respective conferences . Those same people said the same thing about Texas and Oklahoma and ucla and usc! Future revenue is the driving factor not the current buy out clause. Look at college coaches. Most of them also have huge buy out clauses as well. But they still negotiate their buy out clauses and leave! If the Big 10 wants a specific school, they will find the money. It’s kind of obvious the big 10 wasn’t that excited about adding cal and Stanford. Otherwise they would have already added them.

ACC teams are stuck until 2036 it seems.

Stanford and Cal are dead weight from an additional eyeballs standpoint.

I’d stay at 18 for now.
They have a buyout but is large and at least two, FSU and Clemson are fighting for a bigger cut of the pie due to what THEY bring to the TV networks or they will leave!

Purdue
IU
Michigan
MSU
OSU
Ill
Wisky
Iowa
Northwestern
Minny

USC
UCLA
Oregon
Washington
Stanford
Cal
Nebraska
Rutgers
Maryland
PSU

East and west, play your division plus one or two from the other each year. And if NW drops sports, add ND to the west.
Northwestern is not dropping sports.

They have a buyout but is large and at least two, FSU and Clemson are fighting for a bigger cut of the pie due to what THEY bring to the TV networks or they will leave!
That would appear to me that contracts are no longer binding and can be negotiated!

I just say add the remaining 4 Pac 12 schools. Personally I just want WSU added to be able to drive to a game and see Purdue play. Not knowing how all of this works, you'd think the Big has the ability for more of a pay to play at this point with those 4 schools being desperate not to fall behind in this arms race and paying a good amount to be able to join the conference. You could still have divisions on West and East to not have the travel be too crazy and wouldn't more schools mean more money overall anyway in the long run.

I just say add the remaining 4 Pac 12 schools. Personally I just want WSU added to be able to drive to a game and see Purdue play. Not knowing how all of this works, you'd think the Big has the ability for more of a pay to play at this point with those 4 schools being desperate not to fall behind in this arms race and paying a good amount to be able to join the conference. You could still have divisions on West and East to not have the travel be too crazy and wouldn't more schools mean more money overall anyway in the long run.
The biggest issue is the BIG 10 has the leverage and not the schools. And it appears the #1 criteria /factor is revenue and market share. rather than adding the 4 pac schools, they are probably waiting to see if Clemson, fsu and Miami can find a way to get out of their current conference contract

Reactions: New Pal Boiler

Purdue
IU
Michigan
MSU
OSU
Ill
Wisky
Iowa
Northwestern
Minny

USC
UCLA
Oregon
Washington
Stanford
Cal
Nebraska
Rutgers
Maryland
PSU

Really stretching the East West definition having Rutgers, Maryland and PSU being in the West! I would personally wait until FSU, Clemson, Miami and others figure out what they are going to do as they temporarily have blocked adding Cal and Stanford to the ACC. Adding two to four ACC teams to the B1G would establish a better coast to coast super power conference!

Really stretching the East West definition having Rutgers, Maryland and PSU being in the West! I would personally wait until FSU, Clemson, Miami and others figure out what they are going to do as they temporarily have blocked adding Cal and Stanford to the ACC. Adding two to four ACC teams to the B1G would establish a better coast to coast super power conference!
Interesting story. Those 3 schools seem like they are challenging the ACC and their contracts, which could lead to a negotiated buy out a lot sooner than planned. The question for the BIG 10 is would you rather have Stanford and Cal now or be willing to wait to add fsu, Miami or Clemson?

Interesting story. Those 3 schools seem like they are challenging the ACC and their contracts, which could lead to a negotiated buy out a lot sooner than planned. The question for the BIG 10 is would you rather have Stanford and Cal now or be willing to wait to add fsu, Miami or Clemson?
B1G/Fox won’t want Stanford and Cal ever.

They will only leave if they already were offered a guarantee to join the $EC or the B10 once they pony up. If 8 ACC teams are guaranteed joining B10 & $EC then they all can jump @ once & there would be no GOR to pay according to ACC by laws.

defending%20big%2012%20champs_zpsrnmqmswn.png

Reactions: Purdue80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT