ADVERTISEMENT

The New Way of College Athletics and I Hate It!

ghostoffatjack

Sophomore
Jun 15, 2013
Most players today pick a school due to a Head Coach or a Position coach and with the liberal and easy way the Portal operates are gone in a New York minute when the 1) particular coach leaves and/or 2) can find money NIL money elsewhere and very few, not all, pick the school for the school. The movement now is worse than the professional leagues and I do not live or die figuratively when the players jump ship in the pros. Unfortunately it makes it tough when you are a fan or grad that figuratively dies when our school loses.

Just as with the pros I am tending to watching or attending more good matchup football and basketball games rather than watching Purdue due to the movement of players in and out. I will watch most of our early games due to the new coach and hopefully we will see that he knows what he is doing and brings the Boilers a well coached team.

On another note the Drums seem to be beating louder and louder that 1) the ACC has teams that want out and 2) the BIG want one or two from Florida and the other from the middle east coast to get to 16. Two of the three, North Carolina, Miami and Florida State would be a good add to put the B1G footprint in the southeast! Your thoughts...

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Given that I live half an hour from both UNC and NC State, I'd love for either of them to join the Big Ten+. With alumni across the state, the Big would also have large media markets in Charlotte, the Triangle, and the Triad.

I suspect that our reliance on the transfer market will fade a little as Coach Walters is able to recruit his own players, but it feels like we are getting a lot of talented players who can hopefully integrate quickly into our system.

Reactions: Inspector100
I’m watching less college sports now that the ncaa has trivialized the word “commitment “. I will still watch the Boilers because that’s what my engineering degree says and it’s something to do.

Reactions: gold67
Most players today pick a school due to a Head Coach or a Position coach and with the liberal and easy way the Portal operates are gone in a New York minute when the 1) particular coach leaves and/or 2) can find money NIL money elsewhere and very few, not all, pick the school for the school. The movement now is worse than the professional leagues and I do not live or die figuratively when the players jump ship in the pros. Unfortunately it makes it tough when you are a fan or grad that figuratively dies when our school loses.

Just as with the pros I am tending to watching or attending more good matchup football and basketball games rather than watching Purdue due to the movement of players in and out. I will watch most of our early games due to the new coach and hopefully we will see that he knows what he is doing and brings the Boilers a well coached team.

On another note the Drums seem to be beating louder and louder that 1) the ACC has teams that want out and 2) the BIG want one or two from Florida and the other from the middle east coast to get to 16. Two of the three, North Carolina, Miami and Florida State would be a good add to put the B1G footprint in the southeast! Your thoughts...
Should have paid them a set salary when they had the chance. At worst it would have prolonged getting to this moment. At best it would have been a permanent solution.

Those saying things like “well what about volleyball players” helped get us to this moment faster

Political elections became about money in 1974. Did you mean now it’s affecting you personally?
The biased voting along political lines along with the money and perks that politicians and SCJOTUS get directly from big money donors to influence them is more of a recent think in the past 10-12 years compared to 1974! Money talks in both college athletics and politics now more than ever!

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
The biased voting along political lines along with the money and perks that politicians and SCJOTUS get directly from big money donors to influence them is more of a recent think in the past 10-12 years compared to 1974! Money talks in both college athletics and politics now more than ever!
Buckley v valejo

That case made bribery legal and many others followed. The donor class had a bunch of terrible policies they wanted to push through under Reagan but he couldn’t get most of them done. It was Clinton who was able to push through the first rounds of policies that gave you a lot of the rot you see around you today

I agree on the when but it did not seem to color their decisions back then as they do now but I thought it was Bush that pushed through the bill?

don't know about FSU, doesn't the BIG10 also include being a good academic institution into the equation

Buckley v valejo

That case made bribery legal and many others followed. The donor class had a bunch of terrible policies they wanted to push through under Reagan but he couldn’t get most of them done. It was Clinton who was able to push through the first rounds of policies that gave you a lot of the rot you see around you today
I'm very much left-of-center politically, but I'll never forgive Clinton for passing some aspects of the 1996 Telecommunications Act. Meanwhile SCOTUS gutted campaign finance laws, and we have this toxic mess.

To bring things back to sports, I'd support some combination of a set stipend and allowing players to profit from endorsements but with some increased restrictions on transfers to reduce churn between schools.

I'm very much left-of-center politically, but I'll never forgive Clinton for passing some aspects of the 1996 Telecommunications Act. Meanwhile SCOTUS gutted campaign finance laws, and we have this toxic mess.

To bring things back to sports, I'd support some combination of a set stipend and allowing players to profit from endorsements but with some increased restrictions on transfers to reduce churn between schools.
Pandora’s box has been opened. We are never going back

Reactions: RDUBoiler
Pandora’s box has been opened. We are never going back
Only way it can is for the NCAA to adopt the IVY League rules on scholarships and return to Amateur Athletics...a person who engages in an activity, esp. a sport, as a pastime rather than professionally or for gain. 2 an athlete or sportsman. 3 a person unskilled in or having only a superficial knowledge of a subject or activity.

Will it, good question as college and university Presidents along with their boards, regents, etc. can do what they want! Many feel it with be up to the NCAA to set it up this way and let the rest become professional teams! Take away ALL their state and federal funding from the schools who choose not to!

Only way it can is for the NCAA to adopt the IVY League rules on scholarships and return to Amateur Athletics...a person who engages in an activity, esp. a sport, as a pastime rather than professionally or for gain. 2 an athlete or sportsman. 3 a person unskilled in or having only a superficial knowledge of a subject or activity.

Will it, good question as college and university Presidents along with their boards, regents, etc. can do what they want! Many feel it with be up to the NCAA to set it up this way and let the rest become professional teams! Take away ALL their state and federal funding from the schools who choose not to!
It won’t because that opposes big money and power

Taxpayers MAY think and act otherwise if they are supporting Professional Athletes. I can see lawsuits on the horizon as taxes continue to soar!

Taxpayers shouldn’t have been paying coaches what they were paying them before all of this.
If the Coaches fill their stadiums the schools easily make more than they need to cover the coaching salaries and then some and schools with winning records historically get a huge boost in donations from alum's and fans of the program

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT