ADVERTISEMENT

Are the starting five a lock?

I believe Painter will start the year with his 4 seniors and C Edwards. However, because of their talent, I would not be shocked if Eastern, Wheeler, Ewing, or Taylor found a way and became a starter. I have a lot of confidence in our current bench players

I could see Wheeler doing the tip if he were to actually start a game. I can't see him starting and playing 2 mins just so Purdue could win the tip. I could see a scenario if both Wheeler and Haas were in the game at the same time, Wheeler would be asked to do the jump ball, much like in a technical foul, you have your best ft shooter take the shot.
FWIW...being a good jumper and being a good one to jump center are not always the same player. That said, I wouldn't think Matt would care who jumped the start of the game. i do think he might care in overtime though... :)

Simple answer .....No.

If the seniors do what they have been coached to do and add Boogie that is who I could see starting.

The best scoring line-up is Boogie, Dakota, V. Edwards, Ewing and Haas.

The best defensive line-up is PJ, Eastern, Dakota, V. Edwards and Haas.

Because of that, IMO Dakota, V. Edwards and Haas are most likely to get the nod to start this year.

That all being said we have lots of talent and all will play and all will help this team win and do great things!

Boiler Up!

Just curious, what makes you think that Ewing would be one of the five in a best scoring lineup scenario? Perhaps Eastern or Wheeler would fill a spot in that lineup just as well or better than Ewing. As someone else mentioned above, Thompson will probably get more open looks when Haas is in (assuming that IH passes well out of the paint) so he might also be just as or more effective than Ewing in that lineup.

I believe Painter will start the year with his 4 seniors and C Edwards. However, because of their talent, I would not be shocked if Eastern, Wheeler, Ewing, or Taylor found a way and became a starter. I have a lot of confidence in our current bench players

I would be a little bit surprised if Taylor played starter's minutes simply because we have not seen very much consistency or defensive poise from him when he has played and also, he just hasn't played all that much over the course of three seasons because of his injuries. I would be slightly surprised with Ewing in that scenario as well, but not as much as with Taylor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT