ADVERTISEMENT

Are the starting five a lock?

northside100

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 11, 2001
It seems to me that Vince, IH and DM if healthy will start every game and I'd be shocked if PJ doesn't as well given his experience and the way he takes care of the ball. I think that Cline plays a bunch of minutes but as long as CE is playing team defense I don't see how CE isn't the fifth starter . Am I missing something? Does anyone else have a chance to start barring injury?

It seems to me that Vince, IH and DM if healthy will start every game and I'd be shocked if PJ doesn't as well given his experience and the way he takes care of the ball. I think that Cline plays a bunch of minutes but as long as CE is playing team defense I don't see how CE isn't the fifth starter . Am I missing something? Does anyone else have a chance to start barring injury?

Those 5 seem to be a lock due to their experience.

However, if the team hits a slump, Coach Painter has historically shown he will start whoever is playing well off the bench to shake things up. So guys like Eastern, Cline, Wheeler, etc might have a chance to start at some point in the season.

Reactions: TC4THREE
As I recall, every year there are surprises - both good and bad. We can make predictions based on last year (and this year we get summer games!!!!), but I expect some surprises before Christmas.

Not at all.

The four seniors and Carsen would seem to be the front runners. But Cline was a starter late last year and none of us really know what the new guys and Jacquil (sp?) Taylor can do.

It's good to have guys fighting for time.

I think it depends if we play big or small. Who plays the 3? Do we start Vince at the 3 with Ewing as PF, or Do we play small and have mathias the 3 and Ce as the 2. I also think Eastern will start some games.

I think it depends if we play big or small. Who plays the 3? Do we start Vince at the 3 with Ewing as PF, or Do we play small and have mathias the 3 and Ce as the 2. I also think Eastern will start some games.

Eastern has size that has really bothered PJ in practice. At his size, Eastern is extremely likely to get a starting bid quickly. PJ is the most likely to come out of the starting lineup. I think Vince and Dakota are locks as starters. Haas is probably a lock as well if he doesn't struggle early in the season. Carsen has got to be a starter. He has been so good. PJ off the bench is actually a very good thing. Personally I think Carsen should see more minutes with somebody other than Haas. Eastern, Taylor, and Haarms can stretch out of the paint and be affective. Haas clogs the lane, which will lead to him getting blocked when he drives. I don't think who starts necessarily matters. It is who plays when and with whom. It will be in flux but I think the two outside of the 4 seniors and Carsen would Ewing and Eastern. If Vince struggles like he did last year at times, I wouldn't be surprised if Wheeler sneaks into the lineup.

I would love to see Eastern, Carsen, Mathias, Wheeler, and Ewing getting the big minutes with a second unit of PJ, Cline, Vince, Haas. The fourth can be one of the other reserves or starters. Haas goes well with PJ, Cline, and Vince because they are such great shooters and don't need to drive. Mathias sprinkled in pretty much gives you last years team. Eastern, Carsen, Mathias, Wheeler, and Ewing give extreme athleticism with the ability to shoot. I really hope those 5 get atleast 10 minutes a game at the same time. It is a completely different look and could really cause problems and make adjustments more difficult

Eastern has size that has really bothered PJ in practice. At his size, Eastern is extremely likely to get a starting bid quickly. PJ is the most likely to come out of the starting lineup. I think Vince and Dakota are locks as starters. Haas is probably a lock as well if he doesn't struggle early in the season. Carsen has got to be a starter. He has been so good. PJ off the bench is actually a very good thing. Personally I think Carsen should see more minutes with somebody other than Haas. Eastern, Taylor, and Haarms can stretch out of the paint and be affective. Haas clogs the lane, which will lead to him getting blocked when he drives. I don't think who starts necessarily matters. It is who plays when and with whom. It will be in flux but I think the two outside of the 4 seniors and Carsen would Ewing and Eastern. If Vince struggles like he did last year at times, I wouldn't be surprised if Wheeler sneaks into the lineup.

I would love to see Eastern, Carsen, Mathias, Wheeler, and Ewing getting the big minutes with a second unit of PJ, Cline, Vince, Haas. The fourth can be one of the other reserves or starters. Haas goes well with PJ, Cline, and Vince because they are such great shooters and don't need to drive. Mathias sprinkled in pretty much gives you last years team. Eastern, Carsen, Mathias, Wheeler, and Ewing give extreme athleticism with the ability to shoot. I really hope those 5 get atleast 10 minutes a game at the same time. It is a completely different look and could really cause problems and make adjustments more difficult
I have many similar thoughts. Out of the box, but make a lot of sense. Very strategic and aggressive in my opinion.

Reactions: boiler800

So three guys that we've never seen play in front of three seniors, two of which are first team all B1G candidates. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Three-word answer to the original post: I hope not.

I love the five guys you've mentioned and assume they'll win starting roles. But they must EARN them. No entitlements.

If another player outperforms them, heis the one who should play.

Reactions: nagemj02
Last season suggests that Carsen Edwards (So.), P.J. Thompson (Sr.), Dakota Mathias (Sr.), Vince Edwards (Sr.), and Isaac Haas (Sr.) will be the five players that have the most starts this coming season. There certainly could be games where Ryan Cline (Jr.), Nojel Eastern (Fr.), and Aaron Wheeler (Fr.) crack the starting lineup. I don't anticipate many starts from the remaining players but as is often stated on here, it's about who finishes rather than who starts.

Boiler Up

So three guys that we've never seen play in front of three seniors, two of which are first team all B1G candidates. Yeah, that's the ticket.

I would remind you that you are not the coach, and I doubt Coach Painter cares if he starts players the fans have seen play or not. Just because you have not seen Eastern play, does not mean he will not start.

I encourage you to re-read an earlier post made in this thread. The poster said Eastern is beating PJ in practice. I have to believe Painter will make his decisions to start based on performance of n practice verses who the fans want to start.

In Davis' senior year, he came off the bench. To get Hammons motivated and out of foul trouble, he also came off the bench his senior year. C Edwards started last year until Painter decided he couldn't live with his mistakes.

This is Haas senior year. He didn't really make any big steps to a new level last year. He could be beaten out by Taylor or Ewing.

I have confidence that Painter will put the best team on the floor. And if he doesn't, his players and recruits will see right through him. The players of the recent class would never have signed with Purdue if they didn't believe they couldn't beat out the incumbent.

The same is true in bands. You usually have a first chair. But that doesn't mean a freshman. Can't beat out that person.

I'd love to see Eastern, Taylor, and Ewing and Edwards starting. And that would mean they are as great as we believe they are. It would also mean we have the best bench in college basketball.

Reactions: Zaphod_B

It shouldn't matter if they played last year or not. The best players deserve the most minutes and the rotations that play best together should. Whether Eastern, Wheeler, Ewing start or not doesn't mean I wouldn't want to see them with Carsen and Mathias for atleast 10 minutes a game. That is by far the most dynamic lineup. Very few teams in the nation have the pieces to match up if they click and learn the defense and the system. Eastern has incredible length and the athleticism to play/defend the guard position. My expectation of him is much like Valentine from MSU. Wheeler reminds me so much of JJ with his length, body frame, and athleticism. He may not start this year, but we haven't had a player like him since JJ. As for Ewing, he is a 20 year old man, not an 18 year old that hasn't played at the next level yet. I don't think he would be better than Haas, but I certainly think that he would do better in certain matchups and in certain rotations. He can play outside of the post and be affective, meaning free cutting lanes for Carsen, Eastern, and Wheeler who will punish teams that let them get to the hoop. Mathias outside to keep teams from cheating in and helping. What is not to love about the lineup? Don't look at last year, look at what is best for this year. I won't be upset if it's Carsen and 4 seniors starting. I expect that initially, but if the newcomers show they can ball, get them the minutes they need. If the goal is the championship, my idea has the most potential. I wouldn't force it either. If it doesn't click, go with what we know works, but it would be absolutely crazy not to try it out. Teams that space out, run some ISO/pick-n-roll is appealing to some recruits. I think Carsen/Mathis/Vince should each go for 20+ points in atleast five games next year. 7 players in double figures is nice, but showing that a player can ball out in a single game multiple times helps with recruiting. I would also like to see Haas go 20/10 atleast 3 times. Continue to show we are Big Man U. That will help with Jackson-Davis who has us high on the list, but IU is all in on him. Purdue has proven what it can do. Time to let him pick the right fit, and just hope if it isn't Purdue it isn't MSU or IU.

Reactions: punaj and nagemj02
I would remind you that you are not the coach, and I doubt Coach Painter cares if he starts players the fans have seen play or not. Just because you have not seen Eastern play, does not mean he will not start.

I encourage you to re-read an earlier post made in this thread. The poster said Eastern is beating PJ in practice. I have to believe Painter will make his decisions to start based on performance of n practice verses who the fans want to start.

In Davis' senior year, he came off the bench. To get Hammons motivated and out of foul trouble, he also came off the bench his senior year. C Edwards started last year until Painter decided he couldn't live with his mistakes.

This is Haas senior year. He didn't really make any big steps to a new level last year. He could be beaten out by Taylor or Ewing.

I have confidence that Painter will put the best team on the floor. And if he doesn't, his players and recruits will see right through him. The players of the recent class would never have signed with Purdue if they didn't believe they couldn't beat out the incumbent.

The same is true in bands. You usually have a first chair. But that doesn't mean a freshman. Can't beat out that person.

I'd love to see Eastern, Taylor, and Ewing and Edwards starting. And that would mean they are as great as we believe they are. It would also mean we have the best bench in college basketball.
So a poster said that Eastern is beating PJ in practice? Well then I stand corrected. I had no idea there was such overwhelming evidence to support your position. Come on dude, use some common sense. Eastern and the other fresh going to play plenty of minutes but Painter will lean on his seniors primarily.

So a poster said that Eastern is beating PJ in practice? Well then I stand corrected. I had no idea there was such overwhelming evidence to support your position. Come on dude, use some common sense. Eastern and the other fresh going to play plenty of minutes but Painter will lean on his seniors primarily.

its not even that. Just an article saying Eastern got 2 steals off PJ. And people jump to conclusions

However, I do think Eastern and Ewing are the most likely contributors. The core from last season will be our floor (and a pretty high floor too ~ top 3 BIG and 2nd round NCAA), and how we utilize the new additions will be our ceiling

its not even that. Just an article saying Eastern got 2 steals off PJ. And people jump to conclusions

However, I do think Eastern and Ewing are the most likely contributors. The core from last season will be our floor (and a pretty high floor too ~ top 3 BIG and 2nd round NCAA), and how we utilize the new additions will be our ceiling

Don't count out Wheeler.

I see Eastern cracking the five first given his size and strength tho his shooting needs to be improved. If he has no problem secure the ball he be there. And if Haas can't play consistently I will see Painter benching him sometimes, our goal is winning. We'll know more about Taylor after August, hope he'll be a stud and be effective in the paint. C and PG are the two positions we extremely need help, especially at center. We're sure that Haas will improve given his experience but refs might think the other way, and Haas sometimes needs someone to get him angry before some games. We haven't seen Taylor played for a while and certainly have some questions regarding how are his feet going. But he's made progress in the weight room what he needs is to prove himself at WUG. Haarms still needs some weight even tho he's close to 250 but he's still thin to me to play a 5. We shall see more later next month.

Reactions: SnowLeopard
As I said, last year is last year. Each year is different. Davis was projected as a starter by most fans, but he was beaten out in practice. c Edwards won a starting job as a freshman and then lost it. I have confidence Painter will select the best players regardless of their experience. Swanigan won a job as a freshman. Many others before him have won jobs as freshmen. We shall see.

As I said, last year is last year. Each year is different. Davis was projected as a starter by most fans, but he was beaten out in practice. c Edwards won a starting job as a freshman and then lost it. I have confidence Painter will select the best players regardless of their experience. Swanigan won a job as a freshman. Many others before him have won jobs as freshmen. We shall see.

I can't believe that know one is calling you on this garbage. Davis played the most minutes on the team and started most games despite struggling with injuries. Caleb and Carsen both took advantage of roster gaps to start as freshman, neither beat out someone who had a ton of starting experience.

You are correct in that Matt will play and start whoever is best for the team, but you are severely underestimating how difficult it is to displace a returning starter. I'm no sure whether that's by design to further an agenda or just to troll.

Reactions: atmafola

I don't know what is going to happen, but I'm pretty sure Matt wants the subs to maintain the same flow and so he has to have the right mix when he subs as well...THAT could dictate a surprise. Look forward to August and China to see some pieces at play

This is crazy for sure, I'm not sure we will see Haarms at the 5 ever, some variation of a 4.
Painter will fill the 5, with a Juco or another recruit. Call me Crazy, I've been identified as sucho_O
Thoughts?

Reactions: Dakota Girl
Carsen Edwards (So.), P.J. Thompson (Sr.), Dakota Mathias (Sr.), Vince Edwards (Sr.), and Isaac Haas (Sr.).
I think you could see Eastern replace PJ is Eastern can consistently hit the open 3 (giving you 4 good 3 pt shooters on the court). Wouldn't be surprised to see IH come off the bench at some point.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
Carsen Edwards (So.), P.J. Thompson (Sr.), Dakota Mathias (Sr.), Vince Edwards (Sr.), and Isaac Haas (Sr.).
I think you could see Eastern replace PJ is Eastern can consistently hit the open 3 (giving you 4 good 3 pt shooters on the court). Wouldn't be surprised to see IH come off the bench at some point.
Agreed. As long as Eastern doesn't play much Matador defense, I think he will see the floor, especially against a team with really tall guards, and a team that might put on a 3/4 or full court press. His ability to see over and his decision making will go along ways in any playing time.
Eastern and Wheeler have such a great future at PU, throw in a couple very good recruits, who knows what these young men can accomplish!! Boiler Up!

I was wrong.

Davis started 31 games as a senior. he missed 4 games due to injury. he also played fewer minutes in the first 10 games as C Edwards was given a chance to show what he could do. I was confused by a statement made that if C Edwards really made an impact., that Davis would play less and could come off the bench if needed.

yes, it's very hard to displace a senior. but it has happened. Hammons didn't start 13 games to open his senior year and came off the bench .

Reactions: northside100
I was wrong.

Davis started 31 games as a senior. he missed 4 games due to injury. he also played fewer minutes in the first 10 games as C Edwards was given a chance to show what he could do. I was confused by a statement made that if C Edwards really made an impact., that Davis would play less and could come off the bench if needed.

yes, it's very hard to displace a senior. but it has happened. Hammons didn't start 13 games to open his senior year and came off the bench .
Hammons also was suspended to start the season, IIRC. Painter was doing what he had to to get AJ's attention. I don't anticipate that being necessary for any of this year's seniors.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
I was wrong.

Ray Davis and Carsen Edwards did not play on the same team.

ok, now I'm confused. Ray didn't play last year.

Using purduesports.com as a reference it says:

C Edwards started 21 games.
PJ started 35 games
Dakota started 35 games
V Edwards started 27 games
Haas started 15
Cline started 7
Swanigan started 35 games.

too much stress? not enough sleep? too old? I'm losing it.

I'm sorry.

I see some line-ups on here this thread that make me shake my head. Thanks for bringing sanity back. You hit it on the head. Starter or not, our key minutes this year will go to the 5 you listed. The other players' minutes will be situational.
- We need to defend a big guard that's bullying PJ, we give Eastern more minutes
- We need more shooting on the floor, we get more Cline
- Haas struggling or in foul trouble, we get more Ewing /Wheeler
But by far and large, the most minutes will go to these 3 players: Carsen, Mathias, Vince

Reactions: Roeder
I was wrong.

Wolegib. Hammons situation is different. That was just a personal motivation tool that Painter was using to get Hammons up and going. Hammons still got all the key minutes at the 5 his senior year. For all practical purpose, he was indeed the starter at the 5 position.

I see some line-ups on here this thread that make me shake my head. Thanks for bringing sanity back. You hit it on the head. Starter or not, our key minutes this year will go to the 5 you listed. The other players' minutes will be situational.
- We need to defend a big guard that's bullying PJ, we give Eastern more minutes
But by far and large, the most minutes will go to these 3 players: Carsen, Mathias, Vince

I think Cline is the one that will struggle the most to find minutes this year. He's not as consistent from 3 as he should be (yet) and if he's not hitting 3s, he's not adding anything.
I'll be interested to see what Taylor and Haarms can contribute. I think Wheeler and Ewing will get their minutes, especially if we're having trouble rebounding or getting beat in the paint.

I agree they are in two separate classes, but I will pose what ifs.

if JJJ signed with us, and there was actually a very good chance that he would, so this isn't some wild speculation. I ask, would he start? And if he did start for us, who would come off the bench? Would JJJ move Haas to the bench? Would JJJ move V Edwards to Sf and Dakota to Sg and either PJ or C Edwards to the bench? I would expect JJJ to start as a freshman. but that would probably mean a senior - most likely Haas would come off the bench.

looking at next year. If Langford signed with Purdue, would he start as a freshman? I think the consensus would be yes. Then who would be benched? or would Eastern move to SF and Wheeler move to PF ?

I believe it's safe to say that this year's four seniors have the edge to start. But depending on the year and the incoming recruits, I don't believe that will always be true.

it will be interesting to watch Mathias and PJ battle it out with Eastern and Edwards. it will also be interesting to see Ewing, Taylor, Haarms and Haas battle it out. I believe both Ewing and Taylor are a lot better than we give them credit for. Ewing was the #1 rated juco PF. Taylor was a 4/5 star recruit in high school before his injury. Haarms shooting from the perimeter is a total mismatch. I think it will be interesting to watch how it all plays out.

Reactions: punaj
"Starter or not, our key minutes this year will go to the 5 you listed. The other players' minutes will be situational."

Wheeler could start (and play the first four minutes), if for nothing else, to help the Boilermakers win the opening tip.

"Starter or not, our key minutes this year will go to the 5 you listed. The other players' minutes will be situational."

Wheeler could start (and play the first four minutes), if for nothing else, to help the Boilermakers win the opening tip.
You want to bench a senior starter for the first 4 minutes just so we can win the tip?
Are you sure you mean what I just typed?

Reactions: Roeder
I think part of AJ coming off the bench was to avoid that early foul he always seemed to pick up in the first few min. I started to notic that Painter would leave IH in until he picked up a foul and AJ would always jump up off the bench. To me it felt like every min that IH could play gave AJ some cushion from a foul perspective.

I think part of AJ coming off the bench was to avoid that early foul he always seemed to pick up in the first few min. I started to notic that Painter would leave IH in until he picked up a foul and AJ would always jump up off the bench. To me it felt like every min that IH could play gave AJ some cushion from a foul perspective.
"more often than not"...every player comes out after each foul unless really needed and we are in crunch time and he has a few to spare

You want to bench a senior starter for the first 4 minutes just so we can win the tip?
Are you sure you mean what I just typed?

It was tic. Also, how do you know for sure that Wheeler would be replacing a senior starter? It could be C. Edwards, Cline, or Eastern that he would supplant in the starting lineup. Remember, CMP says it's not about who starts but who finishes.

I know that Painter generally doesn't care that much about who wins the tips but if he did, putting Wheeler in for them would be the Boilers' best bet.

Last edited:
Simple answer .....No.

If the seniors do what they have been coached to do and add Boogie that is who I could see starting.

The best scoring line-up is Boogie, Dakota, V. Edwards, Ewing and Haas.

The best defensive line-up is PJ, Eastern, Dakota, V. Edwards and Haas.

Because of that, IMO Dakota, V. Edwards and Haas are most likely to get the nod to start this year.

That all being said we have lots of talent and all will play and all will help this team win and do great things!

Boiler Up!

To build on this post, one other comment. I like having PJ start if Isaac is starting. They complement each other. Isaac will work best surrounded by four shooters and PJ will benefit the most from open looks created by Isaac's presence in the post. You will see Eastern with Isaac, but I think CMP will find the above scenario works best.

Reactions: nagemj02 and Roeder
I could see Wheeler doing the tip if he were to actually start a game. I can't see him starting and playing 2 mins just so Purdue could win the tip. I could see a scenario if both Wheeler and Haas were in the game at the same time, Wheeler would be asked to do the jump ball, much like in a technical foul, you have your best ft shooter take the shot.

Reactions: nagemj02
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT