ADVERTISEMENT

Any New News on How Carsen is Leaning?

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
We are getting close to the NBA decision deadline. Has there been any new word or updates on how Carsen is leaning, back to school or the NBA?

I never worried about Vince or some of the others going. At first, I thought he was just trying to get valuable feedback. However, I really think Carsen is very strongly considering jumping to the NBA. I hope not. However, I thought I read an article somewhere within the last week that he was considering it if he felt that he would be a early second round pick. With him being a National POY candidate for next year, if he would stay, it seems like he would want to wait another year where he would be a first round pick.

Reactions: Purdue11
How special does a player need to be to be < or = 6ft with shoes and be drafted 1st round? It must not happen often. There aren't that many guys even active in the league of that stature - 2-3 dozen maybe?

I think he's a mid-to-late second rounder based on his performance at the combine and his size. He's special, but he's undersized and his athleticism isn't top-of-the-heap elite. Carson seems like the kind of person who might be dissatisfied with his athletic stats at the combine, and I could see him deciding to come back one more year to A) elevate his status (target: all American or even POTY) further in the NCAA and B) get some time specifically at point guard (whatever that means in Purdue's system), and C) double down on physical conditioning like never before so his performance improves at next year's combine.

I sense (could be dead wrong) Carson has always just "had it" physically, not that he hasn't worked out hard, but has he challenged himself to jump up to an even higher physical/athletic level than he is naturally at? It'll be interesting to see what happens if he tries to level up.

I look at all the things that could happen for him next year if he were to stay in college. However, very little of that will effect or change his draft status. look at where the las t two players of the year were drafted or projected to be drafted - late second round. Look at how many players under 6'3 have been first round draft picks in the last 3 years - zero. Coming back to Purdue, everything will be placed o n his shoulders, if he doesn't produce, will he be viewed like Maryland's Trimble who went from potential lottery pick his freshman year to not being drafted . the same happened to UW's player who went from first round to not being drafted.

I really can't see anything he will accomplish next year helping or elevating his draft stock. is he going to play more PG? and Nojel will be our SG? Carsen already won the Jerry West Award. I can't see being an All American or player of the year elevated his draft stock.

I see much the same things about Carsen's draft status as I saw in Biggie. And with Biggie, I said, there is nothing more he can prove by returning to Purdue. he received assurances he'd be drafted, and he went for it. if biggie returned for another year, he'd probably still be drafted in the same slot. As it was, he was the second pf drafted by Portland in the first round. They also drafted some guy from Duke.

the odds of Purdue making the Final 4 next year are slim. I say if you've caught an NBA team's eye and they provide assurances, go for it.

the question I always ask, what did you go to college for? to get a degree? or to get a degree because it was required to get a job? if you're an engineer, and an engineering firm offers you a job at the going rate, without a degree, you take the job and get your degree later.

What did Carsen come to Purdue to do? make the fans happy? or to get a job in the NBA? his degree can wait much like BIG Dog.

I read the boards from several different schools. I am always amazed at how many fans think their players are good enough to leave early. IU fans thought at one point they would be lucky to get 2 years out of Yogi before he rocketed off to the NBA. I have been a Purdue fan since 1978. If my memory serves me correctly, only 2 players have left Purdue early for the NBA. One was the best college basketball player I have ever seen, Glen Robinson. The other, Caleb Swanigan, had the heart and desire few athletes can emulate. Carsen is a really, really good college player. Nojel has tons of potential. I hear these names mentioned frequently about leaving early. Both players would be wise to stay in school while at the same time consulting with NBA experts about how to become more league ready. Neither player is ready to play in the NBA right now.

Simple.

No way he doesn’t get drafted top 40 this year.

No way that if he comes back he isn’t a unanimous AA and BIG POTY.

Probably as tough a decision I can think of. If he goes this year, he’ll have to earn a big contract. Fully confident he will though. Kid can F’n Ball.

I read the boards from several different schools. I am always amazed at how many fans think their players are good enough to leave early. IU fans thought at one point they would be lucky to get 2 years out of Yogi before he rocketed off to the NBA. I have been a Purdue fan since 1978. If my memory serves me correctly, only 2 players have left Purdue early for the NBA. One was the best college basketball player I have ever seen, Glen Robinson. The other, Caleb Swanigan, had the heart and desire few athletes can emulate. Carsen is a really, really good college player. Nojel has tons of potential. I hear these names mentioned frequently about leaving early. Both players would be wise to stay in school while at the same time consulting with NBA experts about how to become more league ready. Neither player is ready to play in the NBA right now.
Pretty sure Russell Cross left early too back in the mid 80’s.

Interesting comment and observation

Reactions: rjmpu82
I look at all the things that could happen for him next year if he were to stay in college. However, very little of that will effect or change his draft status. look at where the las t two players of the year were drafted or projected to be drafted - late second round. Look at how many players under 6'3 have been first round draft picks in the last 3 years - zero. Coming back to Purdue, everything will be placed o n his shoulders, if he doesn't produce, will he be viewed like Maryland's Trimble who went from potential lottery pick his freshman year to not being drafted . the same happened to UW's player who went from first round to not being drafted.

I really can't see anything he will accomplish next year helping or elevating his draft stock. is he going to play more PG? and Nojel will be our SG? Carsen already won the Jerry West Award. I can't see being an All American or player of the year elevated his draft stock.

I see much the same things about Carsen's draft status as I saw in Biggie. And with Biggie, I said, there is nothing more he can prove by returning to Purdue. he received assurances he'd be drafted, and he went for it. if biggie returned for another year, he'd probably still be drafted in the same slot. As it was, he was the second pf drafted by Portland in the first round. They also drafted some guy from Duke.

the odds of Purdue making the Final 4 next year are slim. I say if you've caught an NBA team's eye and they provide assurances, go for it.

the question I always ask, what did you go to college for? to get a degree? or to get a degree because it was required to get a job? if you're an engineer, and an engineering firm offers you a job at the going rate, without a degree, you take the job and get your degree later.

What did Carsen come to Purdue to do? make the fans happy? or to get a job in the NBA? his degree can wait much like BIG Dog.
Trimble never seemed to developed after his freshman year; I don't see that happening with Carsen - no way. He has too much desire, heart and confidence to let that happen. I think he could still make some major improvements if he returns and elevate his draft status even further next year. I think the team around him will be solid and I don't think he will need to be carrying the team every night in order for us to win. I think his decision really depends on whether or not any teams gave him some sort of commitment. If not, I hope he decides to come back for another year.

Simple.

No way he doesn’t get drafted top 40 this year.

No way that if he comes back he isn’t a unanimous AA and BIG POTY.

Probably as tough a decision I can think of. If he goes this year, he’ll have to earn a big contract. Fully confident he will though. Kid can F’n Ball.
He isn’t on any mock drafts at all.

Trimble was never projected anywhere near the lottery. He was rarely even projected in to the first round. That’s shown here: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Melo-Trimble-7258/mock-draft-history/

As for Happ, I can not locate a single mock in the last three seasons that places him as a first round pick. One has him at #53 this season. He is a very good, athletic college big...but he still doesn’t do well outside of 7-9 feet.

Trimble was never projected anywhere near the lottery. He was rarely even projected in to the first round. That’s shown here: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Melo-Trimble-7258/mock-draft-history/

As for Happ, I can not locate a single mock in the last three seasons that places him as a first round pick. One has him at #53 this season. He is a very good, athletic college big...but he still doesn’t do well outside of 7-9 feet.

I was referring to UW's Hayes, not Happ. Trimble was at least projected as a first round pick and the n he came back and started resting on his laurels and his stock gradually decreased every subsequent year.

As for Carsen, I believe he will improve his overall game next year if he stays at Purdue. but with Nojel, and Painter's motion offense, I can't see him having an opportunity to showcase his PG skills. I also don't believe he's going to be able to overcome his greatest NBA stock weakness by staying at Purdue - his height.

I'm confident if Carsen returns, he'll have a tremendous year. But I just don't see that translating to elevating his draft stock. I see him being drafted early second round both years.

and if Carsen's goal is to play in the NBA, and a team shows interest, what's the point of coming back for another season at Purdue?

I was referring to UW's Hayes, not Happ. Trimble was at least projected as a first round pick and the n he came back and started resting on his laurels and his stock gradually decreased every subsequent year.

As for Carsen, I believe he will improve his overall game next year if he stays at Purdue. but with Nojel, and Painter's motion offense, I can't see him having an opportunity to showcase his PG skills. I also don't believe he's going to be able to overcome his greatest NBA stock weakness by staying at Purdue - his height.

I'm confident if Carsen returns, he'll have a tremendous year. But I just don't see that translating to elevating his draft stock. I see him being drafted early second round both years.

and if Carsen's goal is to play in the NBA, and a team shows interest, what's the point of coming back for another season at Purdue?
If he has a better year next season, perhaps even Big Ten POY or even National POY, I think he would definitely get drafted in the latter part of the first round in next year's draft. That would be a major money difference and I disagree he is stuck somewhere in the 2nd round in both drafts. Perhaps you are right, but with Carsen's desire and work ethic, I don't think so!

We are getting close to the NBA decision deadline. Has there been any new word or updates on how Carsen is leaning, back to school or the NBA?

I never worried about Vince or some of the others going. At first, I thought he was just trying to get valuable feedback. However, I really think Carsen is very strongly considering jumping to the NBA. I hope not. However, I thought I read an article somewhere within the last week that he was considering it if he felt that he would be a early second round pick. With him being a National POY candidate for next year, if he would stay, it seems like he would want to wait another year where he would be a first round pick.
I say he stays in the draft. There have been one or two PGs drop out, so his probality of getting drafted increases a little. Also think next yr there will be more PGs available.

That’s doesn’t mean squat.

There are mock draft sites that don’t even know who he is. That’s not a knock on him...but on the sites.
I wouldn’t discount all of them. A 17 point per game scorer on a team that was in the top 10 for most of the year is not going to be off the radar. Sites like DraftExpress are well aware of him.

I disagree about showcasing his point guard skills. Carsen is going to have the ball in his hands a lot this year as the focal point of the offense. If he can use that opportunity to create more shots for his teammates, I think he’ll help himself a lot.

I happen to agree that Carsen will improve his draft position by playing college ball another year. For example, he needs to be craftier handling the ball around the basket. The Texas Tech guards were able to predict and defend him fairly well. He still got his points, but not at the efficiency we needed.

Carsen also need to pad his defensive stats a bit to get drafted higher. One more year at Purdue, where he and his fellow guards are the major offensive and defensive focus, and he will get into that wealthy first round fraternity.

The only thing holding him back is his height. His wingspan and hands make up for a little of it.

There was a previous post that said nobody under 6'3 was drafted in the first round for the last 1-3 years. I guess Carsten could be the exception. But if true, no matter what he accomplishes next year, his height will be his detriment

Last edited:
I think he should return 1 more year. I think his stats will be off the charts and then he will be a 1st round draft pick. If he stays in the draft I think he will be playing in the D league or oversees for a year or 2

as for the mock drafts, I noticed that Diop went from undrafted to a first round pick after the combine.

The mock draft boards did adjust but still didn't include Carsten for either round this year or next year.

I find that very odd somebody Whois well known receives no mention.

as for the mock drafts, I noticed that Diop went from undrafted to a first round pick after the combine.

The mock draft boards did adjust but still didn't include Carsten for either round this year or next year.

Not surprised at all. Carsen had 4 established seniors around him. He is the epitome of ‘show me what you can do’ next season if he comes back. If he gets 20 a game and leads Purdue to 20+ wins, he’ll be drafted some where.

Bates-Diop has been listed as a first round pick in several pre-combine mock drafts. Mid-teens in fact.

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
Bates-Diop has been listed as a first round pick in several pre-combine mock drafts. Mid-teens in fact.

Well he definitely is now. His stock has skyrocketed. We all talked about JJJ going to be a lottery pick. He's a prime example of a player picked on ability verses performance. He definitely has all the tools.

Many NBA teams have been consistently picking players over the last several years based on ability or potential over performance. NBA teams hope that this potential will someday lead to the player they envision could happen to be the next superstar.

I believe Carsen could end up being like Brogden. Brogden was an early second round pick and on the right team became a starter and rookie of the year.

Reactions: oldboiler52
Looking back, based on this season for Purdue and the NBA, do people here believe Biggie made the right or wrong decision?

Looking back, based on this season for Purdue and the NBA, do people here believe Biggie made the right or wrong decision?
Clearly the right choice. Like Carsen, his big knock isnt something that coming back for a year will help. Both players are limited by their height. Very good possibility that biggie wouldn't have been a 1st round pick if he came back.

Reactions: oldboiler52
He isn’t on any mock drafts at all.
While that is true a big reason is because they don't think he is going pro.

Carsen pretty plainly gave what his requirements were for going pro or returning for school, If any individual ranker has him lower than the top of the 2nd there is no point in including him because he said he wouldn't come out in that situation.

Some mocks probably would of put him at the end of the second but since he has already said that he would return in that situation they leave him off

While that is true a big reason is because they don't think he is going pro.

Carsen pretty plainly gave what his requirements were for going pro or returning for school, If any individual ranker has him lower than the top of the 2nd there is no point in including him because he said he wouldn't come out in that situation.

Some mocks probably would of put him at the end of the second but since he has already said that he would return in that situation they leave him off

I think you could tell yourself this - but they never included him when other people's intents were up in the air as well.

There are obviously better mock drafts than others, but when he's not going on anyone's radars, if he truly would get drafted - they wouldn't not include him because "they have a hunch" he won't actually go pro. The hunch is he wouldn't be drafted.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Clearly the right choice. Like Carsen, his big knock isnt something that coming back for a year will help. Both players are limited by their height. Very good possibility that biggie wouldn't have been a 1st round pick if he came back.
I wouldn't go quite that far. I mean, I guess it is possible, but I am pretty sure he would have had an even more solid junior campaign and likely been in the top 20 following his junior year. Did he make the right choice to leave when he did? I believe he did (can't really argue with a 1st round selection). One question though... Would he be a better player today if he had stayed another year? I think so. A year of sitting on the bench for the Blazers (when not playing in the G league) versus a whole year being the focal point of the offense. I just think there is definitely some value in that ability to develop in that scenario. I do hope Biggie is able to continue his development and become a solid NBA player in the future.

I wouldn't go quite that far. I mean, I guess it is possible, but I am pretty sure he would have had an even more solid junior campaign and likely been in the top 20 following his junior year. Did he make the right choice to leave when he did? I believe he did (can't really argue with a 1st round selection). One question though... Would he be a better player today if he had stayed another year? I think so. A year of sitting on the bench for the Blazers (when not playing in the G league) versus a whole year being the focal point of the offense. I just think there is definitely some value in that ability to develop in that scenario. I do hope Biggie is able to continue his development and become a solid NBA player in the future.
You could be right. However, I don't think his numbers this year would have been any better than they were last year. The team had tons of scoring options this year. Also, his big knock wasn't his skill. It was his height and athleticism. Those are two things I don't see changing at this point in his career.

I follow the NBA pretty closely, and the draft even more so. I think he was pretty lucky to get drafted in the 1st round last year. The NBA almost always drafts players based on their potential, and I think due to physical limitations Biggie has almost reached his ceiling as a basketball player.

I could very well be wrong, and you could very easily be right. There is no way of knowing at this point. I wish we had him for another year though!

Reactions: DannyGranger
You could be right. However, I don't think his numbers this year would have been any better than they were last year. The team had tons of scoring options this year. Also, his big knock wasn't his skill. It was his height and athleticism. Those are two things I don't see changing at this point in his career.

I follow the NBA pretty closely, and the draft even more so. I think he was pretty lucky to get drafted in the 1st round last year. The NBA almost always drafts players based on their potential, and I think due to physical limitations Biggie has almost reached his ceiling as a basketball player.

I could very well be wrong, and you could very easily be right. There is no way of knowing at this point. I wish we had him for another year though!
Agree 100% with this post.

Reactions: BoilerIron

It's not necessarily about numbers. Drew Brees' numbers his senior year were the worst over his college career, for example. But he was a better overall player.

I think either situation was fine for Swanigan - and I think that's why you saw him struggle with the decision the way he did. Everyone keeps talking about how he hit his ceiling, etc. - well if that was the feedback he was actually getting, don't think it would have been so hard. I think he had plenty of room to improve and while I don't think he would have gotten into lottery pick zone, I very much think a what would have been a likely Final Four run, coupled with a very solid season and him improving defensively, would have landed him several spots better than where he was drafted. And it may not seem significant, but 5 spots is millions of dollars. Hindsight is 20/20, but if I were him looking back at the season Purdue had and the role he played this year in the NBA, I think I would have stayed another year. Knowing his age, outside of some career ending injury, I think he would have done quite well for himself regardless (and there's insurance for that).

It's not necessarily about numbers. Drew Brees' numbers his senior year were the worst over his college career, for example. But he was a better overall player.

I think either situation was fine for Swanigan - and I think that's why you saw him struggle with the decision the way he did. Everyone keeps talking about how he hit his ceiling, etc. - well if that was the feedback he was actually getting, don't think it would have been so hard. I think he had plenty of room to improve and while I don't think he would have gotten into lottery pick zone, I very much think a what would have been a likely Final Four run, coupled with a very solid season and him improving defensively, would have landed him several spots better than where he was drafted. And it may not seem significant, but 5 spots is millions of dollars. Hindsight is 20/20, but if I were him looking back at the season Purdue had and the role he played this year in the NBA, I think I would have stayed another year. Knowing his age, outside of some career ending injury, I think he would have done quite well for himself regardless (and there's insurance for that).
Again, I think he was lucky to find himself in the first round last season. I believe he absolutely made the right decision.

I don't know how much you follow the NBA, but do you envision him ever being more than just an average role player? I do not, strictly because of his physical attributes. He doesn't have the speed to guard NBA 4s, and he doesn't have the height to guard NBA 5s.

I hope I'm wrong, but I expect his NBA career to resemble the season he had this year (bouncing back and forth between G-league and NBA).

Last edited:
Reactions: jkd
Again, I think he was lucky to find himself in the first round last season. I believe he absolutely made the right decision.

I don't know how much you follow the NBA, but do you envision him ever being more than just an average roll player? I do not, strictly because of his physical attributes. He doesn't have the speed to guard NBA 4s, and he doesn't have the height to guard NBA 5s.

I hope I'm wrong, but I expect his NBA career to resemble the season he had this year (bouncing back and forth between G-league and NBA).
What are you trying to say with the term “roll player”? Is that a 420 reference their Cheech?

I don't know how much you follow the NBA, but do you envision him ever being more than just an average roll player? I do not, strictly because of his physical attributes. He doesn't have the speed to guard NBA 4s, and he doesn't have the height to guard NBA 5s.

Again, I certainly don't think he made the wrong decision. I think it made perfect sense. However, when I see him make the improvements he made from freshman to sophomore year....I would imagine he would have made even more improvements from sophomore to junior. For example, defensively. One thing I remember very vividly with E'Twaun is that many people pegged his ability to stay in the NBA because of his defense. Many people thought he was too slow too. But good (effort) defense goes a long ways.

I don't think he'll be some full time NBA starter, but I think he was set up to only improve his draft stock given the team we had returning. He was just exploding onto the scene as a sophomore - he would have been the talk all through the season and Purdue would have been more dominant than they were this year. The hype goes a long ways when it comes to drafts. Marketing is half the game when it comes to the NBA.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Again, I certainly don't think he made the wrong decision. I think it made perfect sense. However, when I see him make the improvements he made from freshman to sophomore year....I would imagine he would have made even more improvements from sophomore to junior. For example, defensively. One thing I remember very vividly with E'Twaun is that many people pegged his ability to stay in the NBA because of his defense. Many people thought he was too slow too. But good (effort) defense goes a long ways.

I don't think he'll be some full time NBA starter, but I think he was set up to only improve his draft stock given the team we had returning. He was just exploding onto the scene as a sophomore - he would have been the talk all through the season and Purdue would have been more dominant than they were this year. The hype goes a long ways when it comes to drafts. Marketing is half the game when it comes to the NBA.
Disagree on hype and marketing influence on draft position. NBA scouts and execs are about analytics/measurables more than ever now. That’s why NPOY Frank Mason fell out of the first round last year, and Michael Porter will go top 10 this year after playing in 3 college games.

Reactions: BoilerIron
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT