ADVERTISEMENT

Another Serious Injury

There seemed to be a few IU fans on their board that found a little joy in Miller being hurt for the year.
I guess, since this was an IU transfer, that this was the case too in this situation?

There seemed to be a few IU fans on their board that found a little joy in Miller being hurt for the year.
I guess, since this was an IU transfer, that this was the case too in this situation?
There were not "a few" IU fans - there was one a$$wipe who was vilified. Regardless of how you feel about IU and it's fans, we do not celebrate when a kid gets injured whether he plays for Purdue or any other team. It is a fricking tragedy. I personally wish Miller and Lewis a quick and complete recovery.

There were not "a few" IU fans - there was one a$$wipe who was vilified. Regardless of how you feel about IU and it's fans, we do not celebrate when a kid gets injured whether he plays for Purdue or any other team. It is a fricking tragedy. I personally wish Miller and Lewis a quick and complete recovery.
I had surgery on a meniscus tear in my knee about 5 months ago. The tear came from officiating a soccer game. I am getting better, but still don't have the flexibility and speed that I had before the tear. The doctor said that it will come back over the next few months. With that being said, I sympathize with any athlete of any school that has to go through these types of things, including IU.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I had surgery on a meniscus tear in my knee about 5 months ago. The tear came from officiating a soccer game. I am getting better, but still don't have the flexibility and speed that I had before the tear. The doctor said that it will come back over the next few months. With that being said, I sympathize with any athlete of any school that has to go through these types of things, including IU.
I suffered a trimalleolar fracture in my ankle, a tibial dislocation, and tore multiple ligaments last November at work, which resulted in two surgeries. I had never broken a bone or had a surgery before my injury. It has been nine months and I still can't run or jump, plus I am only allowed to stand or walk for up to 30% of my 12 hour work day.

My surgeon told me that I might never be able to run again and that my expected full recovery will take at least a year post operation, if it ever happens. My current work restrictions don't even have an end date.

Before my injury, I had no idea how tough recovery actually is and I definitely sympathize for any athlete who suffers an injury, big or small.

Don't go easy on the rehab. I've recovered more than my former range of motion with one of my shoulders. Rehab doesn't really work unless it's hard and painful. I have a good friend that's suffered through recovering from multiple serious injuries several times (2 helicopter crashes and more). If he listened to some of the doctors he'd probably be semi-comatose on drugs in a wheel chair and not able to function completely drug-free as he does now. It's still a continuing process many years later. Another neighbor was recently told he'd never walk again by doctors after a severe injury on a drilling rig, but with his persistence and hard work over several years he can, albeit not anywhere near as good as before, but he can get about.

Anyone that goes through rehab for physical problems has my deepest respect.

Reactions: PurduePeteFan
Glad to see that the IU board has improved. Many here remember the celebration there when Hummel injured his knee.

I suffered a trimalleolar fracture in my ankle, a tibial dislocation, and tore multiple ligaments last November at work, which resulted in two surgeries. I had never broken a bone or had a surgery before my injury. It has been nine months and I still can't run or jump, plus I am only allowed to stand or walk for up to 30% of my 12 hour work day.

My surgeon told me that I might never be able to run again and that my expected full recovery will take at least a year post operation, if it ever happens. My current work restrictions don't even have an end date.

Before my injury, I had no idea how tough recovery actually is and I definitely sympathize for any athlete who suffers an injury, big or small.
It was at least 9 months before able to either run or jump (and, I am at an age where there is not great need for either admittedly). By 12-months, it was as healed as it ever will be, and, frankly, it is better than I had ever expected it to be, albeit not entirely "right" (and it never will be). Biggest issue is swelling...absent a compression sleeve of some sort, it ALWAYS swells, and, even with the sleeve, it swells (it is just controlled).

To your point on recovery...it flat sucked, but, at the same time, there was the motivation of being able to do things that I once had, and, to try to have things back to "normal".

It was at least 9 months before able to either run or jump (and, I am at an age where there is not great need for either admittedly). By 12-months, it was as healed as it ever will be, and, frankly, it is better than I had ever expected it to be, albeit not entirely "right" (and it never will be). Biggest issue is swelling...absent a compression sleeve of some sort, it ALWAYS swells, and, even with the sleeve, it swells (it is just controlled).

To your point on recovery...it flat sucked, but, at the same time, there was the motivation of being able to do things that I once had, and, to try to have things back to "normal".
I'm in law enforcement and my job depends on me to be able to run in order to further promote. It also doesn't help that I'm a diabetic and my sugar went from well controlled to out of control after surgeries.

Over the years, Purdue has suffered from what would appear to be a much greater number of injuries to key players than other schools at a similar level. I have to ask with the regularity of these injuries, are they totally non-related and unique? Or do they point to a greater potential problem- our strength and conditioning program for athletes?

I'm in law enforcement and my job depends on me to be able to run in order to further promote. It also doesn't help that I'm a diabetic and my sugar went from well controlled to out of control after surgeries.

Your body needs more insulin to combat illness or injury. If you take insulin you have to increase and adjust your dosages which can be difficult as you recover or not in an unknown manner. You need to monitor your sugar levels closely and your bodies reaction to the insulin. (Better yet, have a continuous glucose monitor.) That's not an easy matter, but if a person isn't using insulin, I don't know how difficult that would be, but I'm sure extremely hard. I can always tell that I'm sick or injured and the severity because I need more insulin. Sometimes I know I have a problem but can't figure out what it is because I have no obvious symptoms of anything. Then "magically" I'll get over whatever it was and insulin usage will become normal again.

Over the years, Purdue has suffered from what would appear to be a much greater number of injuries to key players than other schools at a similar level. I have to ask with the regularity of these injuries, are they totally non-related and unique? Or do they point to a greater potential problem- our strength and conditioning program for athletes?
Perhaps it's the honest constant competition for being a starter and having playing time. If someone isn't assured of being a starter and must prove himself constantly in practice that would expose him to much more potential injuries than a guaranteed starter who then doesn't work that hard in practice and then is less likely to injure themselves. But the competition improves the players, but perhaps at the expense of more injuries. I'm sure that the athletes at this level have adequate strength and conditioning.

Your body needs more insulin to combat illness or injury. If you take insulin you have to increase and adjust your dosages which can be difficult as you recover or not in an unknown manner. You need to monitor your sugar levels closely and your bodies reaction to the insulin. (Better yet, have a continuous glucose monitor.) That's not an easy matter, but if a person isn't using insulin, I don't know how difficult that would be, but I'm sure extremely hard. I can always tell that I'm sick or injured and the severity because I need more insulin. Sometimes I know I have a problem but can't figure out what it is because I have no obvious symptoms of anything. Then "magically" I'll get over whatever it was and insulin usage will become normal again.
Luckily I'm on the younger side and I'm not type 1. I'm only taking insulin because my diabetes was untreated for several years and by the time any doctors treated it two years ago, my A1C was 11. I follow a strict diet and my A1C is only 6-6.5 now. I went from 10 daily units pre-surgery to 20+ units post surgery, but now I only take 4 units.
I don't even want to know how high my glucose would have been had I been eating an unhealthy diet post-surgery.

Luckily I'm on the younger side and I'm not type 1. I'm only taking insulin because my diabetes was untreated for several years and by the time any doctors treated it two years ago, my A1C was 11. I follow a strict diet and my A1C is only 6-6.5 now. I went from 10 daily units pre-surgery to 20+ units post surgery, but now I only take 4 units.
I don't even want to know how high my glucose would have been had I been eating an unhealthy diet post-surgery.
did both injuries happen on the practice field?

Hate hearing about the injury itself, but, then the fact that it does indeed in your case have the additional impact that it has/does. I hope that you are able to make a full recovery, or, that the fullest recovery that you can/do make is sufficient so as to allow you to do your job and be in line for promotion...best of luck.

no, they haven't.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
I don't think that's true, it's just magnified because you're aware of it. I wouldn't be surprised if every B10 program doesn't lose 2-3 projected starters every year during fall camp.

I don't think that's true, it's just magnified because you're aware of it. I wouldn't be surprised if every B10 program doesn't lose 2-3 projected starters every year during fall camp.
I'm wondering if he was alluding to a lot of the unfortunate and freak injuries that Purdue stars have suffered over the years, often at the worst possible time, such as Glenn Robinson's back in the elite eight, Marve, Rondale, Sindelar, Hummel x2, Haas, Tario Fuller, and the list goes on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT