ADVERTISEMENT

Ahhh yes. One more time.

It wasn’t a foul. Loyer flops a lot. Belongs in soccer for his acting. Check out the 8:00 mark as well. I once counted Loyer falling 9 times to the floor in a game and getting legitimately fouled 1/9.

Reactions: bonefish1
It wasn’t a foul. Loyer flops a lot. Belongs in soccer for his acting. Check out the 8:00 mark as well. I once counted Loyer falling 9 times to the floor in a game and getting legitimately fouled 1/9.
I agree. He DOES get some fouls not called against him but he makes it harder on the refs to call those because he tends to sometimes overreact to any contact at all which builds a reputation and makes refs miss some actual fouls where he is roughed up.

Reactions: PaBoiler78
You are 100% incorrect. The TN kid goes by him and extends his arm, that's a foul. Does Fletch sell it by going to the ground? Absolutely and in that situation I'm fine with the no-call, but that in no way negates the fact that it's a foul.

You are 100% incorrect. The TN kid goes by him and extends his arm, that's a foul. Does Fletch sell it by going to the ground? Absolutely and in that situation I'm fine with the no-call, but that in no way negates the fact that it's a foul.

To me, the Loyer thing is incidental off the ball contact not worthy to be called a foul. Is it a foul per the rule book? I’m sure, but be careful what we wish for.

If you want to call that, I’ll show you Braden Smith extending his arm/pushing his defender. Offensive foul all day.

To me, the Loyer thing is incidental off the ball contact not worthy to be called a foul. Is it a foul per the rule book? I’m sure, but be careful what we wish for.

If you want to call that, I’ll show you Braden Smith extending his arm/pushing his defender. Offensive foul all day.
Right, so we agree that it's a foul.

• Haha
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
If you are dying to have that foul call, take it. I hope college basketball doesn’t get to be that unwatchable. That’s Harden-esqe years back. Everyone would be fouled out by the 10’ mark in the 1st half.

I can show you a bunch of stuff Purdue does that the refs let go that they “should” call to. My favorites are moving screens, feet way outside of a screeners base, and pushing with the off arm.

The Loyer thing is off the ball, insignificant and questionable that he completely overplayed. So Edey and Smith should be called for every one of those too? Fair is fair right? Right… Let it go.

If you are dying to have that foul call, take it. I hope college basketball doesn’t get to be that unwatchable. That’s Harden-esqe years back. Everyone would be fouled out by the 10’ mark in the 1st half.

I can show you a bunch of stuff Purdue does that the refs let go that they “should” call to. My favorites are moving screens, feet way outside of a screeners base, and pushing with the off arm.

The Loyer thing is off the ball, insignificant and questionable that he completely overplayed. So Edey and Smith should be called for every one of those too? Fair is fair right? Right… Let it go.
I’m just messing with you man, no offense. I said in my original post that I was fine with the no call. I was giving you a hard time because you said it wasn’t a foul, which it was, but I agree with pretty much everything else you said. Hope you had a good holiday weekend.

Reactions: Boiler Addict
I disagree it's a foul.
Just like in football, you can call holding on an offensive lineman on every single play. If you called every bump in basketball, you'd run out of players.
Loyer's flopping is on the verge of embarrassing sometimes.

I disagree it's a foul.
Just like in football, you can call holding on an offensive lineman on every single play. If you called every bump in basketball, you'd run out of players.
giphy.gif

I disagree it's a foul.
Nah, that was a pretty egregious push-off, can't be compared to an 'every play' type of occurrence. I don't think the ref saw it but in a regular-season game that gets called more often than not if the ref sees it.

If you're embarrassed by Loyer's flopping that's a you issue.

I disagree it's a foul.
Or... coaches would return to teaching players not to hold or foul. If teams start losing because their best players are on the bench, the coach will make changes to how he coaches and the players will change how they play.

Reactions: boilermaker75
Or... coaches would return to teaching players not to hold or foul. If teams start losing because their best players are on the bench, the coach will make changes to how he coaches and the players will change how they play.
But what's funny is that Purdue has always been known as a tough, physical defense that probably gets the benefit of the non-call more often than not. We're not as bad at Wisky or Rutgers, who turn games into wrestling matches, but Purdue does plenty of grabbing, holding, and bumping.

But what's funny is that Purdue has always been known as a tough, physical defense that probably gets the benefit of the non-call more often than not. We're not as bad at Wisky or Rutgers, who turn games into wrestling matches, but Purdue does plenty of grabbing, holding, and bumping.
Purdue WAS known for that. That changed when Kramer and Grant left and the rules changed to allow more freedom of movement. it was compounded when Purdue had very little perimeter skill with Ronnie, Bryson and Basil and Painter committed to always getting a shooter in every class. Purdue has been much more finesse defensively for almost a decade.

Lazy people don't realize the shift occurred but it did.

Last edited:
You appear to be stuck somewhere in history. No one else is currently describing Purdue that way.

Purdue WAS known for that. That changed when Kramer and Grant left and the rules changed to allow more freedom of movement. it was compounded when Purdue had very little perimeter skill with Ronnie, Bryson and Basil and Painter committed to always getting a shooter in every class. Purdue has been much more finesse defensively for almost a decade.

Yes - and why you saw problems with guards who could take advantage and get in the paint with the ball and why players like Nojel Eastern were so valuable defensively....add on the fact that Purdue gave up an inordinate number of and-ones the last couple of seasons.

Hopefully, some of the incoming players (especially Harris - maybe not this season but down the line) along with Heide and Colvin can start to change that balance on the perimeter and in the back-court. In a perfect world, Braden Smith could then really take advantage of his anticipation skills with steals. I will at least go out on a limb and say the Boilers will up their forced turnovers from last season. We shall see.

JMHO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT