ADVERTISEMENT

Advantages to playing first

Boiler_HD

True Freshman
Oct 26, 2011
San Diego, CA
This is just a random fill the wait thread, but I have been thinking about the potential advantages to playing prior your next round opponents. We had this happen in the prior round as well. I'm not so much interested in the recovery of a couple hours, but more along the lines of if you win then you sit down with your team and watch without distractions.

What are your thoughts on this?

That makes sense to me. I imagine that if you play second, you are not even watching the first game. You are getting ready for your game. Maybe your coaches watch I scout. Painter made the comment in the presser that he doesn’t pay attention to other games at all. He is just focused on who Purdues next opponent is and that’s it.

But if you are done playing that round, maybe you watch the other game to scout some. Even then it might just be the coaches who would watch, not the players.

Painter and other coaches would almost certainly watch the game live. I'm sure you pick up things that you don't see on film. I'm not sure about the players. I have seen players watching the second game before, but they are probably better off resting in our case.

I remember talking with Cuonzo Martin in Hawaii during the Maui Invitational in 2006. He and another assistant specifically scouted the potential next opponents, each one assigned to one of the teams. Their strategy was to just jot down the time of the game when something happened that they wanted to look at on the film in more detail later.

The teams themselves will come out and sit in the stands for a few minutes during the other game, but I highly doubt they're chatting about Xs and Os while they sit there. They're relaxing and probably eating while getting some TV time.

Reactions: Boiler_HD
IIRC i think we play better when it's later though... hope we are ready to rock and roll come 7pm Friday. This game scares me.

Willard left Seton Hall for Maryland. The local papers here have St. Peter's Holloway to SH as a done deal. I cannot believe that their coach with a foot out the door is a positive in preparation, and much more likely is a negative.

Will naturally be a home game for the underdog St. Peter's, although I'm hoping east coast and Midwest Boiler fans really show up. That said the later games tend to be more rowdy with more time to drink, so I think there would be lowder anti-Purdue cheers at the later game.

Reactions: clankhan
Willard left Seton Hall for Maryland. The local papers here have St. Peter's Holloway to SH as a done deal. I cannot believe that their coach with a foot out the door is a positive in preparation, and much more likely is a negative.

This was predictable, but I agree could be a distraction!

Will naturally be a home game for the underdog St. Peter's, although I'm hoping east coast and Midwest Boiler fans really show up. That said the later games tend to be more rowdy with more time to drink, so I think there would be lowder anti-Purdue cheers at the later game.
I have seen neutral crowds flip on a team quickly, if we can build a lead and put the crowd out of it early hopefully the UNC and UCLA fans will just sit there quietly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT