ADVERTISEMENT

According to IU fans

Courtsense in particular believes that chanting "IU sucks" is the equal to "F..K you Haarms".

Must be a different culture than I grew up in.

Approve or disapprove?
I definitely wouldn’t approve if it happened at Mackey, but I expect nothing less from the denizens of Assembly Hole. The chant was a perfect representation of their fan base, on full display for the ESPN audience. Classy bunch!

Courtsense in particular believes that chanting "IU sucks" is the equal to "F..K you Haarms".

Approve or disapprove?
Stay classy, Uncle Courtsense/ Love4beer! He always gets everything wrong, but he has to “win” every encounter. Usually, he just declares victory, though, while being soundly defeated with the facts.

I was pretty shocked that they would go to that extreme. Definitely disapprove and I would certaintly hope we never see our fans in Mackey go down to their level. That was over the top and unsportsman like. Besides, the refs screwed Haarms all game long so I don't know why the fans were shouting that in the first place. They got the benefit of the doubt at Haarms expense all game long just about. Poetic justice that Haarms got the game winning tip-in! The refs gifted Indiana at least 8 points if not more. Would have been a 10 point win by us otherwise.

All you need to do is understand the mentality of a Hoosier. They only care about one thing and one thing only. Bragging about banners and selling their soul for more of them. That's why Knights classless behavior was always overlooked and accepted. He hung banners. When he stopped, suddenly it was unacceptable. They really don't even hide it .

I definitely wouldn’t approve if it happened at Mackey, but I expect nothing less from the denizens of Assembly Hole. The chant was a perfect representation of their fan base, on full display for the ESPN audience. Classy bunch!
The best people.

I was pretty shocked that they would go to that extreme. Definitely disapprove and I would certaintly hope we never see our fans in Mackey go down to their level. That was over the top and unsportsman like. Besides, the refs screwed Haarms all game long so I don't know why the fans were shouting that in the first place. They got the benefit of the doubt at Haarms expense all game long just about. Poetic justice that Haarms got the game winning tip-in! The refs gifted Indiana at least 8 points if not more. Would have been a 10 point win by us otherwise.
..and the sister of Haas....Keady's wife, Kramer's mother????? This is the school of Kinsey, the pedophile that played with little boys...that brought in whores for study and sticking the bristle end of a toothbrush up his penis. Imagine had it been a brush for teeth instead of a tooth? Kinsey, in a research institution fabricated data to grow his stature. He was the face of IU for so long. That has passed and today they are the face of Jim Jones and Jared.

The school used to do really well when people scheduled teams for them to play in the tourney even though they struggled in "direct" and "more direct" comparisons with Purdue. Sadly, there are graduates that are fine people, but they don't represent so much of the school and fan base.

You could hear the Haarms chant on tv, even though I am convinced ESPN turned down the crowd noise as they did not want to get fined by the FCC. It was embarrassing. I was expecting Miller to say something to the crowd but he missed a chance to look good. I have to believe that the Admin and big money folks are not happy with the student display.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
Look at it this way. Television shows can say “suck” on regular programs, you cannot say f###k.

Approve or disapprove?
The individual chants are a bit much. Maryland’s “You are ug-ly” chant at Isaac a couple years ago was brutal.

Doyel has written in the IndyStar that it was a poor display. We know that the fanbase are morons and have gor years. But when media starts to talk/write about it steps get taken. It made IU look very unclassy, i.e. true to form.

You could hear the Haarms chant on tv, even though I am convinced ESPN turned down the crowd noise as they did not want to get fined by the FCC. It was embarrassing. I was expecting Miller to say something to the crowd but he missed a chance to look good. I have to believe that the Admin and big money folks are not happy with the student display.
Perhaps Miller was concerned that if he said something the court would have been rushed and he would have literally been run out of town.

Few things could top the high irony of Bob Knight commandeering the PA system to scold the hilljacks for throwing objects on the floor at Assembly Hall by saying "I don't care what the quality of the officiating is, you don't throw anything in here!"

Last edited:
You could hear the Haarms chant on tv, even though I am convinced ESPN turned down the crowd noise as they did not want to get fined by the FCC.

Do FCC rules about cusswords apply to subscription-only services? I thought that was reserved only for OTA stations.

ESPN wouldn't want that sort of thing to sneak through continuously anyway.

Last edited:
FCC is more sensitive during certain hours and programming. 7 PM is early and BB game has kids watching. They care a lot about cursing in those situations.

I was expecting Miller to say something to the crowd but he missed a chance to look good.
I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure you can't do that anymore. I don't know exactly what the rule is, but I'm pretty sure there would be consequences for a coach who grabbed the mic and lectured the fans. Whether the consequences would be purely financial or have a potential impact on the outcome of the game (i.e. a technical and free throws for the opponent), I have no idea.

Bottom line, I don't fault Archie Miller. He seems to have enough trouble getting five guys to play together. Trying to get several thousand animals from their student section to behave with any dignity? Good luck.

I saw the NC State coach do it last week. There was no problem and the refs were happy that it happened. K at Duke did it recently as well. They told the crowd to stop.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure you can't do that anymore. I don't know exactly what the rule is, but I'm pretty sure there would be consequences for a coach who grabbed the mic and lectured the fans. Whether the consequences would be purely financial or have a potential impact on the outcome of the game (i.e. a technical and free throws for the opponent), I have no idea.

Bottom line, I don't fault Archie Miller. He seems to have enough trouble getting five guys to play together. Trying to get several thousand animals from their student section to behave with any dignity? Good luck.
They either need to get a hold of Purdue's vet students or just start some
Electroconvulsivetherapy (ECT), formerly known as electroshocktherapy, and often referred to as shock treatment, is a psychiatric treatment in which seizures are electrically induced in patients to provide relief from mental disorders.

They’re both dumb and should stop. Just because the F-U one was worse, doesn’t mean IU Sucks is OK
Purdue chant once or twice a game, directed at rival school...silly. IU all game long, profane word, directed at one player. Classless. Listen to Alan Henderson and other former players- embarrassed, angry.

Reactions: BoilerGal74
Purdue chant once or twice a game, directed at rival school...silly. IU all game long, profane word, directed at one player. Classless. Listen to Alan Henderson and other former players- embarrassed, angry.

Assaulting someone isn’t ok just because it’s less than murdering someone. That’s essentially the argument you’re making here by saying IU’s chant is worse.

You’re one of the most successful B1G programs over the past decade, yet you chant about a school you’re not even playing. It’s dumb and should be beneath you.

I don't even put it on Miller to say it. But someone from the IU administration should have done something given it kept happening throughout the game.

It was clear as day on TV. And it's gotten a lot of attention today. Alan Henderson tweeted early this AM how embarrassed he was.

IU put out a statement late this afternoon finally: https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...es-purdue-cursing-basketball-fans/2927847002/

I don't even put it on Miller to say it. But someone from the IU administration should have done something given it kept happening throughout the game.

It was clear as day on TV. And it's gotten a lot of attention today. Alan Henderson tweeted early this AM how embarrassed he was.

IU put out a statement late this afternoon finally: https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...es-purdue-cursing-basketball-fans/2927847002/
So, as the head coach, it should have been Archie stopping it....and maybe he did try to. It's just that he's too short to see where the PA announcer was sitting.

They’re both dumb and should stop. Just because the F-U one was worse, doesn’t mean IU Sucks is OK

I wouldn't be surprised to see that phase out now. It's certainly not vulgar, but also not in great taste - and almost comes across as a university endorsed thing since it happens every game.

Assaulting someone isn’t ok just because it’s less than murdering someone. That’s essentially the argument you’re making here by saying IU’s chant is worse.

You’re one of the most successful B1G programs over the past decade, yet you chant about a school you’re not even playing. It’s dumb and should be beneath you.

Or its a great rivalry jabb that everyone in the B1G understands except the school it is aimed at. Ask Michigan and OSU, rivalries are not about a game once or twice a year...It’s a way of life.:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Purdue85

IU fans have to stop bitching about the Purdue chant. That SHOULD be beneath IU fans, but it's not. It's a rivalry. Students will do things like that.

There is ZERO connection to IU fans targeting a player with vulgarity. ZERO. It was wrong and should NOT be tolerated. But, it was tolerated by IU.

That stands alone. There is no connection to a Purdue chant. NONE.

IU fans have to stop bitching about the Purdue chant. That SHOULD be beneath IU fans, but it's not. It's a rivalry. Students will do things like that.

There is ZERO connection to IU fans targeting a player with vulgarity. ZERO. It was wrong and should NOT be tolerated. But, it was tolerated by IU.

That stands alone. There is no connection to a Purdue chant. NONE.

I agree - singling out a player with the F word is an extreme.

I've heard the Purdue student section starting things like "F IU" in years past - not as a whole student sectioin, but in pockets when I was a student. And while I certainly didn't agree with that, it's still not the same as singling out an individual player with a vulgarity - and the F word is the most vulgar of them all.

Reactions: BoilerAbroad
I agree - singling out a player with the F word is an extreme.

I've heard the Purdue student section starting things like "F IU" in years past - not as a whole student sectioin, but in pockets when I was a student. And while I certainly didn't agree with that, it's still not the same as singling out an individual player with a vulgarity - and the F word is the most vulgar of them all.

I've heard a few others that would take the cake (try a "c" word...).

What's more, I'm surprised how common the "f word" is on social media, like twitter. Otherwise rational, thinking adults, using it like it's commonplace....

Iu sucks is awesome, Classic and should never go away.
When I’m 85 and go to a game at Mackey, I’ll be disappointed if I dont hear the iu sucks cheer from the student section.

Reactions: Purdue85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT