ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Wheeler showing all of his skills (May 2018)

I found this video on Youtube. Aaron is #11 in the video.

Someone on the paid board at KHC posted it as well.

Aaron Wheeler's year off seems to be paying dividends!

Last edited:
This is current? He looked good when given the opportunity. Some good athletes around him. Any chance he can bring No. 14 back with him, lol.

Great outside shot and hops......lets hope he has the grit to get dirty and angry on the defensive end.

If he can play good defense not sure what stops him from starting at the 3 or 4 in some match ups.

Defense will be the key.

Excited to see him develop and glad he is a Boilermaker.

Reactions: Schnelk and Roeder
I found this video on Youtube. Aaron is #11 in the video.

Someone on the paid board at KHC posted it as well.

Aaron Wheeler's year off seems to be paying dividends!
not a lot of D except by the guards a couple of times..lots of reach and people getting to the rim with ease, but it does appear that Wheeler may handle the ball better and still has a soft shot while playing above the rim. One little guard shot well (lefty ?) and the 14 on the other side has a physical side to him as well. looking forward to seeing the new team and hope to see early D, team work and decent chemistry...

Reactions: Roeder
I sure hope wheeler knows the D on display in that clip is not going to cut it at PU. My guess is that buckling down and playing hard D in a game like that is going to cause problems. In fact the only type of D I saw was block and attempted blocks. Nice stroke from three.

Reactions: hoosierdog1
I sure hope wheeler knows the D on display in that clip is not going to cut it at PU. My guess is that buckling down and playing hard D in a game like that is going to cause problems. In fact the only type of D I saw was block and attempted blocks. Nice stroke from three.

Great outside shot and hops......lets hope he has the grit to get dirty and angry on the defensive end.

If he can play good defense not sure what stops him from starting at the 3 or 4 in some match ups.

Defense will be the key.

Excited to see him develop and glad he is a Boilermaker.

Yes.....Hope the kid has the mental tenacity to guard & deny B1G players, as he seems to have the offensive side down.....like to see this in the B1G this year for Purdue.....he will see so much more time for Painter if he can D it up.

Good grief he has grown taller and wider! I can’t wait to see what he can do this year. I’m very happy he redshirted rather than throwing him to the wolves.

This is current? He looked good when given the opportunity. Some good athletes around him. Any chance he can bring No. 14 back with him, lol.

Looked very smooth, and every bit of his listed 6'9". Not a lot of "pass first" fellas out there LOL...…….athletes for sure though. Wonder if Wheeler has a mean side when needed.

Reactions: Schnelk

Defense was definitely bad, but most of those guys including Wheeler were going at an effort level of 50% or less to prevent injury.

On offense Wheeler looks like he has skill to play the 3 which was encouraging.

I personally like the line up of Eastern, CE, Wheeler, EB, Haarms. Bring Cline and Hunter off bench for scoring. Sprinkle in some Thunder (Williams) and Lightning(Dowuonna) as post matchups dictate and we have a nice little rotation.

while the defense was pretty lax, i did like wheeler's stroke from outside. looks like he can hit inside and out. hopefully we will see him score bunches this next season

Defense was definitely bad, but most of those guys including Wheeler were going at an effort level of 50% or less to prevent injury.

I personally like the line up of Eastern, CE, Wheeler, EB, Haarms. Bring Cline and Hunter off bench for scoring. Sprinkle in some Thunder (Williams) and Lightning(Dowuonna) as post matchups dictate and we have a nice little rotation.
I also like this line-up. However, three guys coming off the bench are freshmen, with only Cline experienced. I like our starting 5 but we are going to be very thin on the bench.

I "think" I like that lineup, but unlike many I just don't really have a feel. I hope during the pickup games those returning demand some D being played and would like to sneak in and see a few pick up games. Otherwise, it wlll probably be August the 4 before we can see them and even then we might only get a feel for the abilities of each and not together as a team.

Reactions: PU pit bull
I also like this line-up. However, three guys coming off the bench are freshmen, with only Cline experienced. I like our starting 5 but we are going to be very thin on the bench.

Yeah, will definitely be some inexperience and there will be some growing pains early. I'm sure Eifert will get his share of PT too if the team needs to settle down since he has some experience.

For anyone who think Cline doesn’t start the whole season, you haven’t paid much attention to what CMP has said about Cline and how he has defaulted to older players unless the younger guys are head and shoulders better.

Cline started the last 7 games of the 2016-2017 season because CMP knows you can’t win a game in the first 4 minutes but you can sure put yourself in a hard position with bad shots and stupid passes. Cline doesn’t really do either of those things and that’s why he started instead if Carsen. Carsen obviously grew exponentially from that last season and it’s the reason why Cline starts opposite Nojel and Boogie as the 3 guards.

Nojel
Carsen
Cline
Wheeler
Haarms

Unless Wheeler can’t provide solid enough rebounding, I see that as being why Boudreaux would get the nod at some point to start. I just think Wheeler looks more like an upgraded Vince with his shooting, dribbling, and athleticism. Hard to keep that kind of package off the floor if it creates bad matchups for an opposing team.

For anyone who think Cline doesn’t start the whole season, you haven’t paid much attention to what CMP has said about Cline and how he has defaulted to older players unless the younger guys are head and shoulders better.

Cline started the last 7 games of the 2016-2017 season because CMP knows you can’t win a game in the first 4 minutes but you can sure put yourself in a hard position with bad shots and stupid passes. Cline doesn’t really do either of those things and that’s why he started instead if Carsen. Carsen obviously grew exponentially from that last season and it’s the reason why Cline starts opposite Nojel and Boogie as the 3 guards.

Nojel
Carsen
Cline
Wheeler
Haarms

Unless Wheeler can’t provide solid enough rebounding, I see that as being why Boudreaux would get the nod at some point to start. I just think Wheeler looks more like an upgraded Vince with his shooting, dribbling, and athleticism. Hard to keep that kind of package off the floor if it creates bad matchups for an opposing team.
That is definitely a viable option as well. As I was responding earlier in this thread I was thinking specifically about Cline. Cline will be a senior..what will be his mental outlook if he doesn't start his senior year...will it compensate for another whose ego is to only start...making him very valuable off the bench? There are soooooo many questions in how a team blends...and how you keep the train going when you substitute I have no idea. I don't know the true measure of the mental to physical, but it is quite often referenced as 4:1.

Could Williams and Dow surprise? I will be shocked if Hunter doesn't get meaningful minutes and score during those times. I hope Purdue can sneak by a few teams early and improve as each player finds himself individually and within the team. No matter who starts, only quick shots and turnovers should lead to getting behind early and a coach can handle that a bit. Now that doesn't mean that Purdue couldn't get behind with who starts, but it should not be a lot or quick if the team is disciplined...and that is the "IF"...

Be quick, don't hurry says Wooden. ;)

Eastern, Boogie, Cline, EB, Haarms……..

First off bench is Wheeler.

I think it will be an exciting year with CMP plugging and playing who is hot and who actually gets gritty on defense.

Excited to see what Dow brings...he looks Big Ten ready and can run and jump.

Wheeler is going to be a nightmare matchup on both ends.....can't wait to see him drain 3 but then dunk on everyone as well. (Snoop Doggy Dog Slam!)

Boiler Up!

Any chance Eastern doesn't start? Could really use an explosive slasher at that height off the bench.

How about:

CE
Cline
Wheeler
EB
Haarms

With Eastern getting around 25-30mpg still off the bench. He can fill in for any player 1-4 who is not playing well.

Excited to see what Dow brings...he looks Big Ten ready and can run and jump.
Funny thing is I figured Trevion would be more ready. Hearing that he came to campus hovering around 300 lbs. If he is going to be ready to play any meaningful minutes he is going to need to lose weight.

If it is true of him being that big, it is disappointing because one begins to wonder how much self control he has and how big of an adjustment college will be.

Funny thing is I figured Trevion would be more ready. Hearing that he came to campus hovering around 300 lbs. If he is going to be ready to play any meaningful minutes he is going to need to lose weight.

If it is true of him being that big, it is disappointing because one begins to wonder how much self control he has and how big of an adjustment college will be.
If true, that's very disappointing. We have been talking about his weight issues for the last 6 months. I was expecting him to drop around 20-30 lbs in that time. If he hasn't dropped any, then I'm skeptical that he will ever get down to playing weight.

If true, that's very disappointing. We have been talking about his weight issues for the last 6 months. I was expecting him to drop around 20-30 lbs in that time. If he hasn't dropped any, then I'm skeptical that he will ever get down to playing weight.

I would wait until he's at Purdue at least a year before worrying about his weight. It's a lot easier to reach a goal like that when surrounded by guys doing the same thing than when you are hanging with your high school buddies. I have worse self-control around my high school friends than others and I'm 35. This guy is 18.

Would be great to get swanigan to come back for a week over the summer to show him his workouts

I would wait until he's at Purdue at least a year before worrying about his weight. It's a lot easier to reach a goal like that when surrounded by guys doing the same thing than when you are hanging with your high school buddies. I have worse self-control around my high school friends than others and I'm 35. This guy is 18.

Would be great to get swanigan to come back for a week over the summer to show him his workouts
He has 5 months before the season starts... not a year.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
He has 5 months before the season starts... not a year.

I think you missed the point. There is a good chance that an incoming freshman may not be in Big Ten shape right away, but that doesn't mean he can't get there.
I know in 2018 not having everything immediately is a crisis but some things take time ... and that's OK

I hear what you are saying but it isn't like he got a letter on Tuesday telling him to be on campus on Wednesday. He has known the day he was reporting to campus for some time now.

If he can't find that motivation from within to drop the weight, I worry when he will find the motivation. Perhaps a redshirt year to get his weight and body ready will do him good.

I think you missed the point. There is a good chance that an incoming freshman may not be in Big Ten shape right away, but that doesn't mean he can't get there.
I know in 2018 not having everything immediately is a crisis but some things take time ... and that's OK
I got your point. From everything we have heard DOW is not ready to contribute at this point, and could redshirt. If Williams isn't ready to contribute day 1, then we are dangerously thin on the front line. You say it's easier to lose weight in college. I would argue it's the exact opposite. He will have unlimited access to "free food" almost 24/7.

I got your point. From everything we have heard DOW is not ready to contribute at this point, and could redshirt. If Williams isn't ready to contribute day 1, then we are dangerously thin on the front line. You say it's easier to lose weight in college. I would argue it's the exact opposite. He will have unlimited access to "free food" almost 24/7.

You are right, it could go that way. Or he could get around a lot of elite level athletes instead of high school players and he could get more focused on workouts. He might not have to eat less if other habits improve.

I'm with you, ideally it would have already happened, my main point was to not get too down on him that it hasn't. People mature at different rates and some need more pushing. As long as he's been working on his game, i wouldn't be too concerned yet. If he gained weight because he's playing video games and eating cheetos, that would be a concern.

You are right, it could go that way. Or he could get around a lot of elite level athletes instead of high school players and he could get more focused on workouts. He might not have to eat less if other habits improve.

I'm with you, ideally it would have already happened, my main point was to not get too down on him that it hasn't. People mature at different rates and some need more pushing. As long as he's been working on his game, i wouldn't be too concerned yet. If he gained weight because he's playing video games and eating cheetos, that would be a concern.
We will see how it plays out. It would be disappointing for him to not be able to go day 1. It would leave us in a very bad spot in the post.

Nojel
Carsen
Cline
Wheeler
Haarms

Exactly. No chance Wheeler comes off the bench this year and Cline definitely will start. If Boudreaux SPOT starts over anybody it's going to be Haarms in my opinion. I think there is a lot more you can do playing two 4's (Wheeler and Boudreaux) combined with Cline, Nojel and Carsen in terms of spreading teams out and bringing opposing big men out to guard the perimeter. Unless Haarms has developed a legit outside jumper, I foresee Painter employing Boudreaux as a 2nd four and putting teams without dominant bigs in binds with a lot of pick and pop action.

Having said that I do think Nojel, Carsen, Cline, Wheeler and Haarms start every game....but I don't think it's out of the question that Boudreaux subs in for Haarms ....depending on who we are playing. Sasha in for Cline . Hunter rotates in with Carsen and Nojel to get his 8 minutes/half. Boudreaux for Haarms for 4 minutes, then he slides over and replaces Wheeler for another 4....then starters back in to end the half. Dow and TW coming in depending on foul trouble and matchups.

It's important to remember Wheeler has spent a year at Purdue, practicing and learning Painters offensive and defensive systems. That may very well trump Bourdreax's two years spent at a low major(or it may not but worth noting).

Exactly. No chance Wheeler comes off the bench this year and Cline definitely will start. If Boudreaux SPOT starts over anybody it's going to be Haarms in my opinion. I think there is a lot more you can do playing two 4's (Wheeler and Boudreaux) combined with Cline, Nojel and Carsen in terms of spreading teams out and bringing opposing big men out to guard the perimeter. Unless Haarms has developed a legit outside jumper, I foresee Painter employing Boudreaux as a 2nd four and putting teams without dominant bigs in binds with a lot of pick and pop action.

Having said that I do think Nojel, Carsen, Cline, Wheeler and Haarms start every game....but I don't think it's out of the question that Boudreaux subs in for Haarms ....depending on who we are playing. Sasha in for Cline . Hunter rotates in with Carsen and Nojel to get his 8 minutes/half. Boudreaux for Haarms for 4 minutes, then he slides over and replaces Wheeler for another 4....then starters back in to end the half. Dow and TW coming in depending on foul trouble and matchups.
Wheeler might have a breakout season, but he’s never played an actual college game and he still has a lot to prove.

I’ll be very surprised if Boudreaux doesn’t start. I think that only one of Cline or Wheeler will start and the other will be the sixth man.

Wheeler might have a breakout season, but he’s never played an actual college game and he still has a lot to prove.

I’ll be very surprised if Boudreaux doesn’t start. I think that only one of Cline or Wheeler will start and the other will be the sixth man.
Evan has never played a game on a high level team. He was always a big fish in a little pond. Not saying he wont start, but I think he and Wheeler's question marks are pretty similar.

Reactions: Mgkcbb
Evan has never played a game on a high level team. He was always a big fish in a little pond. Not saying he wont start, but I think he and Wheeler's question marks are pretty similar.
true, but there is a history of grad transfers not just at Purdue that ended up playing at a higher lever than initially recruited due to experience at a previous location. Right now...I have nothing to suggest they couldn't be on the floor at the same time...lotta questions that need answered...

Reactions: Purdue85
true, but there is a history of grad transfers not just at Purdue that ended up playing at a higher lever than initially recruited due to experience at a previous location. Right now...I have nothing to suggest they couldn't be on the floor at the same time...lotta questions that need answered...
I definitely agree. As stated in the starting lineup thread, I could definitely see a starting lineup with both players in it.

I was just saying that while Wheeler has certain unknowns that Evan also has unknowns of his own.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT