ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Wheeler showing all of his skills (May 2018)

Purdue finished 5th in KenPom.

Should they petition for some type of trophy then? KenPom is important but typically it’s just a target to be in the top 25 of offensive and defensive efficiency...would Purdue be 5th if they played Virginia 3 times and a stacked ACC slate? No...this is just a sainter Trojan horse argument to convince people that recruiting doesn’t matter

News flash - we weren’t beatin Nova with or without Haas.

If you want to talk about “intellectual honesty” then you should have no problem admitting the hard evidence says a team with a McD AA wins the national title <95% of the time.

A reminder to keep to the facts. If you were able to accurately predict the outcomes of games, you'd be rich somewhere consumed with counting all your money, not trolling me on a message board.

A reminder to keep to the facts. If you were able to accurately predict the outcomes of games, you'd be rich somewhere consumed with counting all your money, not trolling me on a message board.
I believe someone challenged you to a bet because data shows that 38/39 times the team that wins the NCAA tournament has a McD AA on the roster.

If you are so confident in yourself you should take that bet.

Reactions: BoilerIron
We just going to ignore that kenpom #2 lost to a 16 seed? Or that kenpom #4 is composed of like 9 McDonald's AAs (5 of which were OAD)?

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Should they petition for some type of trophy then? KenPom is important but typically it’s just a target to be in the top 25 of offensive and defensive efficiency...would Purdue be 5th if they played Virginia 3 times and a stacked ACC slate? No...this is just a sainter Trojan horse argument to convince people that recruiting doesn’t matter

KenPom accounts for schedule strength so your hypothetical doesn't make sense.

Purdue was a top 5 team last year by their metric. And recruiting rankings don't matter, I've already illustrated that linking an article that did actual research on the topic and also by showing the best player in college basketball the past 6 years had never been ranked higher than 20th in his own class, and only once out of 6 years been a 5 star recruit (while being a 3 star recruit 50% of the time).

If you have something factual and relevant that you think will change my mind, I invite you to provide it. Otherwise, I'm not interested in reading another post that says "my opinion is that recruiting rankings definitely matter"

We just going to ignore that kenpom #2 lost to a 16 seed? Or that kenpom #4 is composed of like 9 McDonald's AAs (5 of which were OAD)?

Well first of all you're supposed to have me on ignore and promised youd quit posting in this thread.

But anyways - How is this post you made relevant at all to the discussion?

You're just blatantly trolling. I'm not interested in seeing who can out troll the other one. I'm interested in anything you have that could potentially change my mind about recruiting rankings.

KenPom accounts for schedule strength so your hypothetical doesn't make sense.

Purdue was a top 5 team last year by their metric. And recruiting rankings don't matter, I've already illustrated that linking an article that did actual research on the topic and also by showing the best player in college basketball the past 6 years had never been ranked higher than 20th in his own class, and only once out of 6 years been a 5 star recruit (while being a 3 star recruit 50% of the time).

If you have something factual and relevant that you think will change my mind, I invite you to provide it. Otherwise, I'm not interested in reading another post that says "my opinion is that recruiting rankings definitely matter"

KenPom uses a formula to adjust for SOS soooo that’s hypothetical like your argument that Purdue could beat nova with haas...

You cherry picked a small sample size and discounted using a 14 year period because players shoot more threes now (I think that was your “trend” argument...)

How about I randomly pick 5 top 40 kids from a class and you take 5 randomly chosen 3 stars in a class and your advanced statistics...my team will win 99/100 trials

KenPom uses a formula to adjust for SOS soooo that’s hypothetical like your argument that Purdue could beat nova with haas...

You cherry picked a small sample size and discounted using a 14 year period because players shoot more threes now (I think that was your “trend” argument...)

How about I randomly pick 5 top 40 kids from a class and you take 5 randomly chosen 3 stars in a class and your advanced statistics...my team will win 99/100 trials

Just so you're aware, I'm no longer responding to posts that are opinion driven. If you have facts or actual data you think will change my mind, then link it, but I'm not interested in reading you repeat the same opinion over and over that I've already told you I disagree with and shown why.

Just so you're aware, I'm no longer responding to posts that are opinion driven. If you have facts or actual data you think will change my mind, then link it, but I'm not interested in reading you repeat the same opinion over and over that I've already told you I disagree with and shown why.

I posted the last 14 wooden award winners and their rank going back as rivals is reliable...I don’t know what a fact is to you since you’ve only posted opinions as well...the only fact in the seasons is that Purdue lost in the sweet 16 of the tournament...everything else... KenPom...recruiting rankings...polls...are data that you use to form arguments and explain trends

Well first of all you're supposed to have me on ignore and promised youd quit posting in this thread.

But anyways - How is this post you made relevant at all to the discussion?

You're just blatantly trolling. I'm not interested in seeing who can out troll the other one. I'm interested in anything you have that could potentially change my mind about recruiting rankings.
1. I took you off ignore, because it creates huge gaps in the thread if you have someone on ignore.

2. I never promised to quit posting in this thread.

3. How is my post relevant? How can a team full of freshmen OADs have a higher Kenpom ranking than a senior laden team (I understand how, but according to your "facts" it shouldn't be possible)?

4. I know I can't change your mind on this. I doubt anyone can change your mind on anything. For me to be able to change your mind, you would have to understand what the discussion is (it's the correlation between McDonald's AAs and national championship teams btw). You don't seem to understand the point of the discussion, so of course I can't change your mind (even though you have been provided many examples of why McDonald's AAs are important to championship teams).

5. Have you noticed that no one is jumping in to defend your arguments, yet there are 4 or 5 people opposing your views? That should tell you something.

1. I took you off ignore, because it creates huge gaps in the thread if you have someone on ignore.

3. How is my post relevant? How can a team full of freshmen OADs have a higher Kenpom ranking than a senior laden team (I understand how, but according to your "facts" it shouldn't be possible)?

4. I know I can't change your mind on this. I doubt anyone can change your mind on anything. For me to be able to change your mind, you would have to understand what the discussion is (it's the correlation between McDonald's AAs and national championship teams btw). You don't seem to understand the point of the discussion, so of course I can't change your mind (even though you have been provided many examples of why McDonald's AAs are important to championship teams).

5. Have you noticed that no one is jumping in to defend your arguments, yet there are 4 or 5 people opposing your views? That should tell you something.

I'm guessing y'all have cleared out the room. I'm just sitting in the corner, sipping my cocktail, shaking my head. . . !

Iron, and I realize this is going to sound like trolling but it isnt, it's been my experience in the past that message board posters agreeing with you is a likely indicator it's the wrong view.

The vast majority of message board posters just have such a fundamental misunderstanding of college basketball. I mean someone just argued with me that Purdue wouldn't have been a top 5 KenPom team if they had to play Virginia 3 times. And those kind of things are said all the time.

That's why you keep reading posts from me asking people to start citing data or facts rather than continue giving their opinions.

In the least offensive way possible, I don't value any of your opinions on college basketball enough for them to matter to me.

And by the way, nor should anyone else value my opinions over facts and evidence - which is why I've taken the time to research and provides articles and examples of Wooden Award winners.

So whether anyone ends up agreeing with me or not, it will not have any impact on what I'e already found that rankings are too inaccurate to matter.

And I've sort of just now realized I don't actually care whether you or anyone else believe what I've found to be true so I guess that's a good enough reason to quit wasting my time on this thread.

Iron, and I realize this is going to sound like trolling but it isnt, it's been my experience in the past that message board posters agreeing with you is a likely indicator it's the wrong view.

The vast majority of message board posters just have such a fundamental misunderstanding of college basketball. I mean someone just argued with me that Purdue wouldn't have been a top 5 KenPom team if they had to play Virginia 3 times. And those kind of things are said all the time.

That's why you keep reading posts from me asking people to start citing data or facts rather than continue giving their opinions.

In the least offensive way possible, I don't value any of your opinions on college basketball enough for them to matter to me.

And by the way, nor should anyone else value my opinions over facts and evidence - which is why I've taken the time to research and provides articles and examples of Wooden Award winners.

So whether anyone ends up agreeing with me or not, it will not have any impact on what I'e already found that rankings are too inaccurate to matter.

And I've sort of just now realized I don't actually care whether you or anyone else believe what I've found to be true so I guess that's a good enough reason to quit wasting my time on this thread.

BRB I’m hanging your top 5 KenPom banner and entering it into the Hall of Facts. If you can’t at least see and acknowledge the other perspective on any of these arguments good luck

None of these reasons to shirt have to do with any expectations of a future fifth year. They tend to center on the first year issues and have almost no connection to what might happen in these kids' last year of school. Hence my position that the "fifth year" is not a factor in the decision to red shirt.

Your logic is quite faulty.

LOL! Now there's proof that your argument is correct.

"No one is defending you. 4 or 5 people disagree with you."

The intellectual power of that argument surely will shut down all other opinions. I wonder why Isaac Newton didn't think of that one. Brilliant!

Reactions: Purdue85
Will Wheeler have the green light to shoot open threes? He has a good stroke.

Aaron Wheeler and his teammates have quit practicing basketball altogether. Since none of them were selected as McDonald's All Americans years ago as high school players, it has been etched in stone as certainty they have no shot of winning any basketball games so they've made a smart decision and quit wasting their time after reading through this thread and being enlightened.

LOL! Now there's proof that your argument is correct.

"No one is defending you. 4 or 5 people disagree with you."

The intellectual power of that argument surely will shut down all other opinions. I wonder why Isaac Newton didn't think of that one. Brilliant!
If you have been reading this thread, then you know that wasnt my main argument. Just another point to back up the data I (and others) have presented to show that it's extremely likely that you need a McDonald's AA to win a championship.

If you have some facts (or even opinions) that counter that argument, I would like to hear them.

Your logic is quite faulty.
Cause = glut at the position
Effect = Player might get a fifth year

You confuse cause and effect in your argument here. The original question is why we might shirt a player. We shirt him because (one reason) there is a glut of players at his position and he would get no meaningful minutes. One effect of this decision is that the player gets a potential fifth year. However, I don't see this as an important point to argue beyond this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT