ADVERTISEMENT

#8 AP

You would never know from the negative comments on this message board that we are ranked #8 in the country. Yeah, we aren't playing the best basketball lately but several teams are in the same boat. Also, pretty tough to read today, especially the back and forth between a few select posters that add no value.

Let's go win in Madison tomorrow night (we will win) and salvage a first place tie for the Big Ten regular season title.

You would never know from the negative comments on this message board that we are ranked #8 in the country. Yeah, we aren't playing the best basketball lately but several teams are in the same boat. Also, pretty tough to read today, especially the back and forth between a few select posters that add no value.

Let's go win in Madison tomorrow night (we will win) and salvage a first place tie for the Big Ten regular season title.
Going to take the entire team to win. Defending against our outside game is the defense of choice now. We need more that Ivey, Eddy, and Williams scoring. Others have to step up.

Baylor makes the big jump from 10th to 3rd.

Big Ten (plus Four) - Purdue (8), Wisconsin (10), Illinois (20), Ohio State (23), Iowa (24)

Big XII (minus II) - Baylor (3), Kansas (6), Texas Tech (12), Texas (21)

Lots of recency bias in the polls this year. I thought they were moving away from that in favor of a "total body of work" model. Definitely not the case with so many late season swings in the poll numbers. Duke and Baylor are clearly benefiting.
That's why polls don't matter.

One little tidbit about this weeks votes. One voter had us 11 last week. She moved us up to 9 today. Why?

Grasping onto that last 2 seed.

Also can’t wait til The post Coach K Duke era…11 first place votes? Give me a flipping break.
Poll this week is complete garbage...but, it is merely a poll and has nothing to do with seeds.

The perception of Purdue though nationally is ridiculous, and, no further evidence than this week's poll.

It would be a shame if Purdue did not get at least a 2-seed given the position that they were in heading to East Lansing, but, I said it in another thread...they have played with fire any number of times and got burnt...they missed the goldenest of opportunities on Saturday...miss it again tomorrow night and it will really raise some questions around the season.

Last edited:
That's why polls don't matter.

One little tidbit about this weeks votes. One voter had us 11 last week. She moved us up to 9 today. Why?
True, but as you pointed out in another post, polls are fodder for conversation. I would rather talk about this than waste hours of time trashing our own players on one of the many dumpster fire posts on this board. :rolleyes:

Not implicating you in any of that nonsense, BTW...

Also can’t wait til The post Coach K Duke era…11 first place votes? Give me a flipping break.

I hate Duke too and the ACC is way way down, but they have 3-5 1st round picks (including 2 lottery) and have the highest ceiling I've seen this year when they are clicking IMO. How the young pups do in single elimination when the bright lights are on is always the big question though.

ratings might not mean anything, but our other factors matrix ratings are even lower than #8. We will be fortunate if we receive a #2 seed. and we'll have to actually earn it. We need to beat UW on the road and have a good showing in the BIG 10 tourney. maybe we could get a seed not in the same Quad as gonzaga is. because right now, we're predicted for their bracket.

ratings might not mean anything, but our other factors matrix ratings are even lower than #8. We will be fortunate if we receive a #2 seed. and we'll have to actually earn it. We need to beat UW on the road and have a good showing in the BIG 10 tourney. maybe we could get a seed not in the same Quad as gonzaga is. because right now, we're predicted for their bracket.
I bet if you look at another prediction we're not.

You do know a tie is like kissing your dog on the lips, don't you. Ties suck.

Reactions: GemstateBoiler
And who are our wonderful refs tomorrow? I see Davidson and Boroski were going at each other in last week's WI game.
They will be lousy regardless as the B1G just does not have good/quality officials.

I will be very disappointed if it is Carstensen yet again.

I would love to know if Purdue has had either him or Boroski more than other teams.

Bo is bad at a level only he can reach, but, Carstensen is bad in that he goes out of his way to consciously be bad if doing a Purdue game...he purposely is bad when it comes to Purdue, and, Edey specifically.

I have a feeling, Wisky finishes us off tomorrow night. I hope I'm wrong, but if we have to rely on 3 players for all the scoring, this is the last week in the top 10.

I have a feeling, Wisky finishes us off tomorrow night. I hope I'm wrong, but if we have to rely on 3 players for all the scoring, this is the last week in the top 10.
It would be disappointing if it were to happen, but, given what just happened on Saturday...not unexpected.

They will be lousy regardless as the B1G just does not have good/quality officials.

I would love to know if Purdue has had either him or Boroski more than other teams.

Bo is bad at a level only he can reach, but, Carstensen is bad in that he goes out of his way to consciously be bad if doing a Purdue game...he purposely is bad when it comes to Purdue, and, Edey specifically.

For you quantitative analysis junkies. :)

In Purdue's five conference losses:

@ Rutgers (Don Daily, D.J. Carstensen, Courtney Green)

Wisconsin (Don Daily, Donnie Eppley, Larry Scirotto)

@ Indiana (Keith Kimble, Paul Szelc, Courtney Green)

@ Michigan (Terry Oglesby, Brian Dorsey, Courtney Green)

@ Michigan State (Larry Scirotto, D.J. Carstensen, Robert Riley)

In Purdue's 13 conference victories:

Iowa (Larry Scirotto, Robert Riley, Kelly Pfeifer)

@ Penn State (Terry Oglesby, Robert Riley, Steve McJunkins)

Nebraska (Chris Beaver, Terry Oglesby, Lewis Garrison)

@ Illinois (D.J. Carstensen, Brian Dorsey, Bo Boroski)

Northwestern (Donnie Eppley, Larry Scirotto, Kelly Pfeifer)

@ Iowa (Chris Beaver, Terry Oglesby, Brian Dorsey)

Ohio State (D.J. Carstensen, Paul Szelc, Bo Boroski)

@ Minnesota (Bill Ek, D.J. Carstensen, Rob Kueneman)

Michigan (Larry Scirotto, Keith Kimble, Robert Riley)

Illinois (Bill Ek, D.J. Carstensen, Paul Szelc)

Maryland (Paul Szelc, Roger Ayers, Bo Boroski)

@ Northwestern (Don Daily, Robert Riley, Edwin Young)

Rutgers (Bill Ek, Bert Smith, Keith Kimble)

Totals (with Purdue record):

Carstensen 6 - (4-2)
Riley 5 - (4-1)
Szelc 4 - (3-1)
Scirotto 4 - (2-2)
Oglesby 4 (3-1)
Boroski 3 - (3-0)
Green 3 - (0-3)
Daily 3 - (1-2)
Ek 3 - (3-0)
Dorsey 3 (2-1)
Kimble 3 (2-1)
Eppley 2 (1-1)
Beaver 2 (2-0)
Pfeifer 2 (2-0)
Kimble 2 (2-0)
McJunkins 1 (1-0)
Garrison 1 (1-0)
Kueneman 1 (1-0)
Smith 1 (1-0)
Young 1 (1-0)

That’s the way I’m feeling as well. Seems, at least to me, Badgers better at taking care of the ball, defense, and consistency game to game. Their stars seem more grounded/consistent game to game as well. Boilers are better when firing on all cylinders but lately those game are few and far between. Need a game with Sasha hitting a reasonable %, Jaden under control and making good decisions, Hunter having just a solid game, Trevion back to mid-season form. Zach and Mason I feel will show up most games.

Carstensen 6 - (4-2)
Riley 5 - (4-1)
Szelc 4 - (3-1)
Scirotto 4 - (2-2)
Oglesby 4 (3-1)
Boroski 3 - (3-0)
Green 3 - (0-3)
Daily 3 - (1-2)
Ek 3 - (3-0)
Dorsey 3 (2-1)
Kimble 3 (2-1)
Eppley 2 (1-1)
Beaver 2 (2-0)
Pfeifer 2 (2-0)
Kimble 2 (2-0)
McJunkins 1 (1-0)
Garrison 1 (1-0)
Kueneman 1 (1-0)
Smith 1 (1-0)
Young 1 (1-0)
Shocking to see Purdue is 0-3 in games Green worked given his awful display this year, including calls on back-to-back nights that were wrong AND decided the outcome of the game.

Not surprised that DJ has worked the most, as, it seems like they have had him a lot, and, more so recently. He was horrible in the Illinois game also...Purdue was able to overcome his incompetence in that one, but, it had to work to do so as it was another case where he singlehandedly took a guy out of the game (Edey). I wonder if anyone else has had the pleasure of having DJ work their games 6 times already.

Maybe this team is indeed better than it is getting credit for having somehow won all 3 games that the world's worst official worked!!

Now that you have shared, I fully anticipate seeing DJ, Green and Scirotto tomorrow night...

• Angry
Reactions: Do Dah Day
That’s the way I’m feeling as well. Seems, at least to me, Badgers better at taking care of the ball, defense, and consistency game to game. Their stars seem more grounded/consistent game to game as well. Boilers are better when firing on all cylinders but lately those game are few and far between. Need a game with Sasha hitting a reasonable %, Jaden under control and making good decisions, Hunter having just a solid game, Trevion back to mid-season form. Zach and Mason I feel will show up most games.
One thing Purdue might have in its favor is that Ivey was dominated in the first matchup by Davis...if that is productive from a motivation standpoint, bonus for Purdue...more so in that aside of Saturday, Ivey has generally been at his best in Purdue's biggest games...but, in the first matchup, it became a case of him wanting to outdo Davis to some extent and was not productive, and, if it turns into that again tomorrow, that will not bode well.

He was in foul trouble in the first matchup too...he went to (too) great lengths to avoid that on Saturday and some other recent games...I expect the same tomorrow, but, hope that it is not as extreme in terms of his defense as it was.

FML

Reactions: DAG10

Carstensen 6 - (4-2)
Riley 5 - (4-1)
Szelc 4 - (3-1)
Scirotto 4 - (2-2)
Oglesby 4 (3-1)
Boroski 3 - (3-0)
Green 3 - (0-3)
Daily 3 - (1-2)
Ek 3 - (3-0)
Dorsey 3 (2-1)
Kimble 3 (2-1)
Eppley 2 (1-1)
Beaver 2 (2-0)
Pfeifer 2 (2-0)
Kimble 2 (2-0)
McJunkins 1 (1-0)
Garrison 1 (1-0)
Kueneman 1 (1-0)
Smith 1 (1-0)
Young 1 (1-0)
Clearly Green is the ass hat

Carstensen is from Milwaukee and his family are Wisconsin fans. How he is allowed to do any Wisky games is a definite conflict of interest. If he is one of the refs for your game tomorrow night pay close attention to the calls he makes.

Carstensen is from Milwaukee and his family are Wisconsin fans. How he is allowed to do any Wisky games is a definite conflict of interest. If he is one of the refs for your game tomorrow night pay close attention to the calls he makes.
His calls against us on Saturday directly benefited UW. Especially the fireable one on edey with a minute left.

Bo is from the area and his family are Purdue fans...he is so bad, it does not matter...I would be more than ok if someone deemed it a conflict of interest and banned him from Purdue games.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Bo is from the area and his family are Purdue fans...he is so bad, it does not matter...I would be more than ok if someone deemed it a conflict of interest and banned him from Purdue games.
Is it like Eric Harmon used to do ... make sure he never looked like he was favoring PU, so he made calls against them all the time.

Is it like Eric Harmon used to do ... make sure he never looked like he was favoring PU, so he made calls against them all the time.

Mission Accomplished.

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT