ADVERTISEMENT

#4 in the AP

A ton of fluidity. I'd say we are a fringe 1-seed at the moment. We are the 2nd 2-seed on the Matrix right now, but none of them have been updated since Friday. Kansas and Baylor are still 1s.

As POTFHBTFU stated, the tiers are just as important as the ranking itself, if not more. Also since we don't have the raw numbers, we have no idea how close 8 is to, say 5, vs 11. All we have is the ranking itself.

For those that care, Bruce Pascoe from an Arizona paper is the voter who is most sour on Purdue. Has us #11 today, with no one all that crazy ahead of us. Weird thing is that he kept us at 2 after the Rutgers loss for a couple weeks, but then dropped us to 10 after the Wisconsin loss, and has kept us down since. That's where I wonder how many writers actually do their own poll each week, which lends one to easily dismiss the poll as a whole.

I think we are seeing the benefit of what it means to be ranked very high early in the season, similarly to what the Duke’s and Kansas teams enjoy annually. We may step on it in a game we shouldn’t, and I may (and maybe a few others here) feel as though we are closer to 20 than top 5 at times, we still continue to hang around the top of the polls week after week. Much easier to stay there when you start there, whether THAT was accurate or not.

I think we are seeing the benefit of what it means to be ranked very high early in the season, similarly to what the Duke’s and Kansas teams enjoy annually. We may step on it in a game we shouldn’t, and I may (and maybe a few others here) feel as though we are closer to 20 than top 5 at times, we still continue to hang around the top of the polls week after week. Much easier to stay there when you start there, whether THAT was accurate or not.
I was actually thinking the same.

Supposedly except when we are high in NET in past years we still got crewed because of our schedule. We have some marquee wins this time around.
Essentially, I have come to know that there is a "Purdue factor" as well...whatever metric is most important, it was the one that worked against Purdue previously, but, now matters.

Purdue played a quality non-conference schedule...is in the midst of a great conference scheduled...has road wins...has quality wins...for that matter, picked up two quality wins this past week...and dropped.

Just win...control what you can control.

Purdue has a really, really good team...they have as good a chance as they ever have to win a National Championship...work on some things that they need to fix or improve...stay healthy...and then see what happens.

For those that care, Bruce Pascoe from an Arizona paper is the voter who is most sour on Purdue. Has us #11 today, with no one all that crazy ahead of us. Weird thing is that he kept us at 2 after the Rutgers loss for a couple weeks, but then dropped us to 10 after the Wisconsin loss, and has kept us down since. That's where I wonder how many writers actually do their own poll each week, which lends one to easily dismiss the poll as a whole.
The poll is so subjective...which, is why it is indeed easy to dismiss.

Bruce Pascoe likely knows next to nothing about Purdue...probably has not even watched them play a game...same is true of a ton of other voters.

Let's say Purdue loses yesterday's game...they obviosuly don't get ranked 3/4 today...but, they are the exact same team. So, if they lose and are ranked 9th, they are the same team that won and is ranked 3rd/4th.

'Zona looked absolutely awful against UCLA on Thursday...horrible...but I am guessing Bruce did not drop them to like 15 (which would have been generous even based on how bad they looked). I won't be surprised at all if they turn around and beat UCLA this week...at which point Bruce will likely put them in his top 5 again (if he does not already have them there). Same team...looked like garbage last week, could be world beaters this week.

There is not dominant or great team this year...there are some really good teams...Purdue is one of them...Purdue is not flashy ala some other schools...despite the success that they have had for years, they still don't garner the respect that they should...is what it is...no longer matters to me, as, I know guys like Decourcy or Pascoe are not nearly as in tune as they like to think they are...and, they won't admit that they don't care to be.

Bruce Pascoe likely knows next to nothing about Purdue...probably has not even watched them play a game...same is true of a ton of other voters.

Let's say Purdue loses yesterday's game...they obviosuly don't get ranked 3/4 today...but, they are the exact same team. So, if they lose and are ranked 9th, they are the same team that won and is ranked 3rd/4th.

'Zona looked absolutely awful against UCLA on Thursday...horrible...but I am guessing Bruce did not drop them to like 15 (which would have been generous even based on how bad they looked). I won't be surprised at all if they turn around and beat UCLA this week...at which point Bruce will likely put them in his top 5 again (if he does not already have them there). Same team...looked like garbage last week, could be world beaters this week.

There is not dominant or great team this year...there are some really good teams...Purdue is one of them...Purdue is not flashy ala some other schools...despite the success that they have had for years, they still don't garner the respect that they should...is what it is...no longer matters to me, as, I know guys like Decourcy or Pascoe are not nearly as in tune as they like to think they are...and, they won't admit that they don't care to be.
My son asked me how Purdue keeps narrowly escaping 'upsets' so often. My only explanation is this is a superbly talented team but it's a bit sloppy (high number of turnovers, poor free throw shooting at times, less than typical Purdue defense). It is a bit comforting to know other tier 1 teams have their own issues this year, as well.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
My son asked me how Purdue keeps narrowly escaping 'upsets' so often. My only explanation is this is a superbly talented team but it's a bit sloppy (high number of turnovers, poor free throw shooting at times, less than typical Purdue defense). It is a bit comforting to know other tier 1 teams have their own issues this year, as well.
Yes, good to know that this Purdue team can beat any team on any given day. Of course, …..

We have stayed top 10 all season. That's crazy

That 0-3 record in games below 70 seems concerning to me. Purdue has to win some February grinders to have a chance at the B1G title --- or a deep run in March.
Unless a team really slows it down or is just crazy good defensively, not easy to keep Purdue under 70, and, the record is only better if they score 80 or 90.

Past/other Purdue teams have been better defensively than this one, so, it could still win more of those games not in the 70s, but, this team scores more and more easily than past/other Purdue teams as well.

I am more concerned about getting past the FT matter and not having it truly become a problem...aside of Williams, Purdue does not really have anyone that would be considered "bad" from the line...they just need to start shooting as capable, or, at least more closely to it. If so, that makes them even more dangerous given the number of FTs they typically get (and will).

It's also a function of being a top 5 team, always with that target on your back.

I truly think the FT problem will improve as will our 3 point D. I feel like our D has improved some but letting Ohio State shoot a 3 up by 6 was just terrible. Ivey bailed us out big time. That’s why having pros on your roster always helps.

probably sour that Purdue owns Arizona in bball/football

Purdue has lost 3 games by a collective 10 points...with the schedule they have played, it would be incredibly crazy if they were not in the top 10 or stayed there.
Im just saying as far as Purdue goes in general. We shouldn't have been booted from the top 10. Just saying how crazy it is for Purdue

Unless a team really slows it down or is just crazy good defensively, not easy to keep Purdue under 70, and, the record is only better if they score 80 or 90.

Past/other Purdue teams have been better defensively than this one, so, it could still win more of those games not in the 70s, but, this team scores more and more easily than past/other Purdue teams as well.

I am more concerned about getting past the FT matter and not having it truly become a problem...aside of Williams, Purdue does not really have anyone that would be considered "bad" from the line...they just need to start shooting as capable, or, at least more closely to it. If so, that makes them even more dangerous given the number of FTs they typically get (and will).
Edey was doing really good from the line at the start of the year. He has dropped off a decent amount. Ivey should.be shooting better too.

Edey was doing really good from the line at the start of the year. He has dropped off a decent amount. Ivey should.be shooting better too.
Entirely a mental thing with Edey, and, Ivey's struggles are almost strictly a matter of concentration or focus (as are other things that he struggles at/with).

Edey is a solid shooter with a nice touch...just needs to go back to shooting without overthinking it...he will make more than he misses (just as he had).

Im just saying as far as Purdue goes in general. We shouldn't have been booted from the top 10. Just saying how crazy it is for Purdue
Not many Purdue teams that have been good enough to stay in the top 10 for the duration of a season, or, close to it.

Like say, Purdue is like 3 buckets from being undefeated and consensus #1 (well, I say that, and, there are enough clowns like DeCourcy that they may not actually be #1).

While this Purdue team has some flaws/issues and has lost to some teams that it should not have, it is also has been as good as anyone...and, is capable of beating anyone.

GTFOH. What 19 teams are better than us? We have beat 3 top 20 teams including a road win and a neutral court win over the #12 team with our three losses by a combined 10 points or something like that. I’m not sure we beat Kentucky if we play them today but we are a top 5 team and if we started unranked we’d still be a top 5 team after we were one of only a handful of undefeated teams and took out nova.

GTFOH. What 19 teams are better than us? We have beat 3 top 20 teams including a road win and a neutral court win over the #12 team with our three losses by a combined 10 points or something like that. I’m not sure we beat Kentucky if we play them today but we are a top 5 team and if we started unranked we’d still be a top 5 team after we were one of only a handful of undefeated teams and took out nova.
This helped me as a teenager

If it was as easy to do, as it is to say, we’d all be a little more optimistic.

Reactions: Level 42
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT