ADVERTISEMENT

3 items we need to fix to have a special season

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
It would be great to win another BT championship, but Purdue fans really want a run to the Final Four and NC. Purdue has had too many good teams to not have reached a FF since 1980.

We have the talent to do it. The biggest question is whether we can do it or not. We have 3 major items that we have to fix to accomplish this.

The biggest problem we have right now is PG play. We had this last year also. We don't have a PG that can lead our offense the way that it needs to be lead. IT started last night. IT can hit shots and do some things on offense. However, he is a match up problem with any team that has physical guards. He just does not have the body to compete with those types of teams. Unfortunately, that is most teams now. Hunter has regressed over the last 2 years. I am not sure what else to say on that, but wondering why. Morton has the best physical make up to compete at PG, but I am not sure Painter has the confidence in him yet. All of our PG telegraph their passes, stop their dribble too quickly and way too far from the basket, and make poor decisions. This is going to be the hardest to completely fix this year, because it is a personnel issue.

Along with our PG play, our 3 point defense is terrible. How many teams have had their guards have season highs in shooting 3s. while playing and shooting poorly against our teams? It is not a coincidence. We are not making the right defensive switches, slow to get to wide open 3 point looks, etc. Teams, and not good teams, are exploiting our 3 point defense, because they know that they cannot beat us by post play with Williams and Edey in the middle.

The last one you would think would be the easiest thing to correct, but this again was a problem last year. We have to hit our FTs, especially at the end of the game. We should have lost that Illinois game and a couple of others with poor FT shooting, especially at the end of the game. In the NCAA tournament, we are going to definitely have close games, and our FT shooting, especially at the end could decide those games.

Just my opinions.

I still don't know why we don't have Ivey bring the ball up in crunch time. We were great when Carsen realized he could get our shooters in great spots or create his own shot. Ivey is still learning and needs some maturity, but still think he gets gun shy. He and Zach are the best matchup problems we have.

I still don't know why we don't have Ivey bring the ball up in crunch time. We were great when Carsen realized he could get our shooters in great spots or create his own shot. Ivey is still learning and needs some maturity, but still think he gets gun shy. He and Zach are the best matchup problems we have.
Carsen rarely if ever brought ball up court.

Reactions: johnboiler123
Carsen rarely if ever brought ball up court.
Go back and watch the tournament. Just watched the Tennessee game and he was bringing the ball up a ton. When he did, it fast and he wouldn't let the defense settle in position. Watching the Virginia game now and he was doing the very same and we were great. Kept the defense on their toes

It would be great to win another BT championship, but Purdue fans really want a run to the Final Four and NC. Purdue has had too many good teams to not have reached a FF since 1980.

We have the talent to do it. The biggest question is whether we can do it or not. We have 3 major items that we have to fix to accomplish this.

The biggest problem we have right now is PG play. We had this last year also. We don't have a PG that can lead our offense the way that it needs to be lead. IT started last night. IT can hit shots and do some things on offense. However, he is a match up problem with any team that has physical guards. He just does not have the body to compete with those types of teams. Unfortunately, that is most teams now. Hunter has regressed over the last 2 years. I am not sure what else to say on that, but wondering why. Morton has the best physical make up to compete at PG, but I am not sure Painter has the confidence in him yet. All of our PG telegraph their passes, stop their dribble too quickly and way too far from the basket, and make poor decisions. This is going to be the hardest to completely fix this year, because it is a personnel issue.

Along with our PG play, our 3 point defense is terrible. How many teams have had their guards have season highs in shooting 3s. while playing and shooting poorly against our teams? It is not a coincidence. We are not making the right defensive switches, slow to get to wide open 3 point looks, etc. Teams, and not good teams, are exploiting our 3 point defense, because they know that they cannot beat us by post play with Williams and Edey in the middle.

The last one you would think would be the easiest thing to correct, but this again was a problem last year. We have to hit our FTs, especially at the end of the game. We should have lost that Illinois game and a couple of others with poor FT shooting, especially at the end of the game. In the NCAA tournament, we are going to definitely have close games, and our FT shooting, especially at the end could decide those games.

Just my opinions.
Those are 3 problems, you are right...but there are other problems as well...namely, a complete lack of leadership from anybody.

An inability to stop teams from scoring...

Very poor decision making in general a lot of the time...

Another problem is that 1 of Purdue's best 3 players is ALWAYS on the bench in that 2 of them play the same position or can't play together, and, there is a pretty significant drop-off from those 3 to anyone else.

The first problem that you outlined is just one that plagued Purdue a year ago, has this year and will again next year unfortunately...probably even more so a year from now for that matter, unless it adds someone from the Portal to address it. It is not fixable is the bigger issue this year...the only way to fix it is to change who is playing, and, that has not happened to this point and sure seems unlikely that it will going forward.

The second issue goes to Purdue's principles and philosophies that it strictly adheres to...not going to change unfortunately...that is why it has been an issue at times, for years.

Final one/FTs...no consequences for not being able to make them...many have pointed out already that Williams is the guy that generally closes games...despite the fact that for 4 years he has been a very poor FT shooter...never has kept him off the floor...always just been accepted...no individual motivation to fix or address it. Sasha missed 4 the other day...Ivey missed only one I believe, but, it was the front end of a one-and-one and hitting both may have sealed the game...I mean, Cline is in the basketball HOF for FTs and missed one that would have put Purdue in a FF...it has been a LONG time seemingly since FTs were a strength for Purdue.

Reactions: Poprudy
The perimeter defense is also hampered because we like to play big. The bigs are slower and we struggle to defend the high pick and roll. Probably always will. I don't see any Chris Kramers on the way to fight through picks so we just get destroyed on the switches. Also wouldn't hurt to deny the hot hand or pressure in back court to disrupt things but that is not what Purdue does.

Reactions: SKYDOG
PG is the biggest issue on this team for offense and defense. Opposing B1G guards have to love playing Purdue. Im really surprised more teams don't apply greater pressure on a consistent basis.

Reactions: rjmpu82 and SKYDOG
been saying this all year and a bunch of apologists here get bent all out of shape about it. This deficiency was very evident last year and should have been addressed.

Painters biggest mistake was not using the portal to upgrade the PG position. It’s what will be the difference in a S16 team and a FF team.

Reactions: seminolesboilers
I know some people think Smith is the answer, and I hope he is, but a 5’11, 165#, not highly recruited PG is exactly what IT is/was. I hope he can compete physically.
I saw Smith play in person a week ago. Athletically and toughness-wise, he'll be a significant upgrade over IT. Perhaps not as a freshman, but in time he should be a team leader.

Just my opinions.
This person knows basketball!

I know some people think Smith is the answer, and I hope he is, but a 5’11, 165#, not highly recruited PG is exactly what IT is/was. I hope he can compete physically.
FWIW Smith looks more stout than IT now and I would imagine will put on some good weight by the time the season starts. I haven't seen a ton of Smith, but he appears to be pretty explosive.

Painter seemed to be searching for answers all night. He bares most of the blame but some guys just didn’t show up.

Everyone seemed apathetic out there. Maybe one or two didn’t but for the most part everyone was apathetic. Feel since Iowa that has been the underlying theme.

Painter seemed to be searching for answers all night. He bares most of the blame but some guys just didn’t show up.

Everyone seemed apathetic out there. Maybe one or two didn’t but for the most part everyone was apathetic. Feel since Iowa that has been the underlying theme.
I think the Illinois game took a lot out of them.

Reactions: BBG
Right, if it were the reverse and we played IU first, we might have won by double digits. Glad we won the Illini game though since it proved we can beat a top 20 team on the road.

As in physically or mentally?

I don’t buy into 20 year old kids being tired on 2 days rest. They’re in the best shape they’ll ever be in their entire lives.

The bigger problem was iu dictated the tempo and physicality of the game with being physical and getting into the head of Tre leading to Tre and SS forcing everything.

all that being said, had Purdue executed in the half court in the last 1:30, they win.

Reactions: DrEss
Carsen would take the inbounds pass and dribble up court at the end of a game and to the basket if we were behind...@Penn State (scored and we won) and Sweet 16 against Tennessee (blocked by Williams out of bounds)...are two instances that I can recall his last year at Purdue.

Last edited:
I like the way that the defense is trending. Some things are not going to change. Teams are going to try to make Purdue pay for playing a 7’4” monster with ball screens. The Purdue guards are going to need help with a hedge and it’s going to be a team effort not to break down once that happens. But, giving up 3 pointers is not as big an issue as it appears, as Purdue is giving up 32.8% overall and 34% in conference games from 3 for the year, pretty average numbers for a Big Ten team. Purdue, by design, is not going to force a lot of turnovers, but does a great job of not sending opponents to the line (IU game being the exception) or giving up second chance points (again, Phinisee’s game winning 3 was an exception, but Purdue just fumbled that rebound).

Purdue is not going to be a perfect team. It’s built to space the court and pound the ball inside and when the inside game isn’t working, it’s going to be a lot tougher to win. Fortunately, every other team in the country is flawed as well. I prefer just to appreciate the guys who are on the team and not worry about guys that decided to go elsewhere.

Reactions: BBG
Carsen would take the inbounds pass and dribble up court at the end of a game and to the basket if we were behind...@Penn State (scored and we won) and Sweet 16 against Tennessee (blocked by Williams out of bounds)...are two instances that I can recall his last year at Purdue.
don't forget his Frosh year vs a tough Terps team, he hit 2 game winning FT's at the end of the game. After that I knew we had someone special

I don’t buy into 20 year old kids being tired on 2 days rest. They’re in the best shape they’ll ever be in their entire lives.

The bigger problem was iu dictated the tempo and physicality of the game with being physical and getting into the head of Tre leading to Tre and SS forcing everything.

all that being said, had Purdue executed in the half court in the last 1:30, they win.
don't buy into the Ill game taking alot out of the team. They are young, deep team, and the travel to iu was a short ride. If Tre just had an average game we win it (and I'm not blaming it all on him neither)

Emotionally, mentally, and a little bit physically.

Just my opinions.
This is my opinion.This team lacks a killer instinct when they get a lead.They relax and start doing something different that got them the lead.The game gets close and then either team has a chance to win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT