ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Transfer Portal

50/50 on whether Edey comes back....downside to him he doesn't have a mid range shot....maybe he comes back to shore that aspect of his game....otherwise he goes to NBA and still signs a 3 yr 18 mill contract ..

Do you think he'd be better served developing that talent with NBA coaches and against NBA talent or dominating again at the college level?
Unless he magically starting hitting 3's at a 35% rate, there's not a ton left for him to show.
YES I think he's better served PLAYING college than sitting the bench WATCHING in the nba.
I believe that a normal short jumper would be a start that you don't mention before he starts shooting 3's. Getting more post moves down smoother to go against the much quicker nba guys would be a great start.
As would continuing to work on his pick and roll defense.
This is NOT a highly skilled, well developed (game)kid that has been playing for 15 years.
He is a huge kid with moderate skills that work when you have a huge size advantage.
Just this season (DURING THE SEASON!!) he's developed from a funky little "shot put" hook shot into a true, soft, hooker. That's a pretty f'ing BIG deal.
Look at the difference in the kid from 2 years ago and project that forward 2 more years.
We'll see what the NBA says but if he's a borderline 2nd round pick now versus being a lottery pick in another year then he can make himself a WHOLE LOT OF MONEY GOING BACK TO SCHOOL> ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Boiler Buck
50/50 on whether Edey comes back....downside to him he doesn't have a mid range shot....maybe he comes back to shore that aspect of his game....otherwise he goes to NBA and still signs a 3 yr 18 mill contract ..
His downside NBA-wise is more his PNR defense than anything to do with his offense.

NBA likes bigs who can hedge and switch.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
YES I think he's better served PLAYING college than sitting the bench WATCHING in the nba.
I believe that a normal short jumper would be a start that you don't mention before he starts shooting 3's. Getting more post moves down smoother to go against the much quicker nba guys would be a great start.
As would continuing to work on his pick and roll defense.
This is NOT a highly skilled, well developed (game)kid that has been playing for 15 years.
He is a huge kid with moderate skills that work when you have a huge size advantage.
Just this season (DURING THE SEASON!!) he's developed from a funky little "shot put" hook shot into a true, soft, hooker. That's a pretty f'ing BIG deal.
Look at the difference in the kid from 2 years ago and project that forward 2 more years.
We'll see what the NBA says but if he's a borderline 2nd round pick now versus being a lottery pick in another year then he can make himself a WHOLE LOT OF MONEY GOING BACK TO SCHOOL> ;)
That all may be true, but he also might not be the focus of the offense next year like he is this year. He could go from averaging 22/13 to 16/10. Still good numbers but repeat POTY numbers.
I think it's similar to Ivey's situation. Could another year of college helped him? Sure, but he was told to take the opportunity to be a lottery pick, don't risk injury and lock in the $.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
That all may be true, but he also might not be the focus of the offense next year like he is this year. He could go from averaging 22/13 to 16/10. Still good numbers but repeat POTY numbers.
I think it's similar to Ivey's situation. Could another year of college helped him? Sure, but he was told to take the opportunity to be a lottery pick, don't risk injury and lock in the $.
Unless we invented a time machine and it is 1992, Edey won't be a first round pick in the draft. If he gets enough feedback that he could be late first or early second, he should go. The risk of injury and lesser production will only hurt his future prospects.

Reactions: greenboiler
Unless his draft stock rises a bunch, he won't be getting that kind of contract.

Last years #30 pick got 4 years and 11mm

2nd round picks go way down from there.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
But he's not going to be a lottery pick or probably even close to that. HUGE difference.
As for the numbers dropping, that's fine if he's better at everything he does.
If he's back it's because the NBA said "work on this".
I gotta believe this kid would do the work. And the NBA would notice regardless of the numbers.
But his numbers won't drop. If anything they might stay the same on less usage.
Another year stronger and you think his rebounding might drop 3 per............ ???? ;)

Unless we invented a time machine and it is 1992, Edey won't be a first round pick in the draft. If he gets enough feedback that he could be late first or early second, he should go. The risk of injury and lesser production will only hurt his future prospects.
You can't really be blind to the development pace this kid has maintained since he got here?
He's at that place that lots of players have been, borderline 1st rounder. Come out? Or stay and try to become a lottery pick next year. The guys that come back and do that are BEASTS that year.
And Zach has got to be in the top % of development during their college career I think. Not sure i've ever seen a kid develop more DURING season play than this kid has every single year.
Lesser production? LOL

Last edited:
You can't really be blind to the development pace this kid has maintained since he got here?
He's at that place that lots of players have been, borderline 1st rounder. Come out? Or stay and try to become a lottery pick next year. The guys that come back and do that are BEASTS that year.
Lesser production? LOL
How much NBA do you watch?

All the talk about Edey maybe leaving - does it scare anyone that our backup 5 is in a boot right now? Also, he hasn’t played in college.
No need to be scared. Our bigs usually turn out to be pretty good - in fact, better than we expect (eg, Zach). Plus, I think Caleb and TKR can be an effective combo if Zach leaves and the offense opens up more.

Reactions: Poprudy
But he's not going to be a lottery pick or probably even close to that. HUGE difference.
As for the numbers dropping, that's fine if he's better at everything he does.
If he's back it's because the NBA said "work on this".
I gotta believe this kid would do the work. And the NBA would notice regardless of the numbers.
But his numbers won't drop. If anything they might stay the same on less usage.
Another year stronger and you think his rebounding might drop 3 per............ ???? ;)
I agree that he'll take the advice of the NBA people and Painter. Hell, maybe he develops a 15 foot jumper

Zach is on most of the draft boards now. Walker Kessler A 7'1 kid out of Auburn (Utah) has been killing it in the Northwest Division. Nuggets, Timberwolves, Thunder and the Trailblazers. All have fallen victim to his size and physicality. All are said to be considering Zach and have watched him play this year. Brad Stevens has watched him play multiple times. I like his chances!

if edey can get drafted he should go, he’s not adding a 3pt shot this off season and ...

Unless he magically starting hitting 3's at a 35% rate, there's not a ton left for him to show.

50/50 on whether Edey comes back....downside to him he doesn't have a mid range shot....maybe he comes back to shore that aspect of his game....

YES I think he's better served PLAYING college than sitting the bench WATCHING in the nba. I believe that a normal short jumper would be a start that you don't mention before he starts shooting 3's.

Check out what Morton and Carmin had to say about Zach Edey 3's, starting around 3:35-4:55. For a guy who's primary job is to rebound, clog up the paint and score down low, none of us should be expecting Seth Curry.

He doesn't shoot jumpers because Painter. He doesn't shoot 3's because of Painter. Look at his FT's, he has a nice touch. However, he outweighs people by 75 pounds and is 6"+ taller than most opponents, why would he shoot a lower % jump shot than something by the basket? It doesn't make sense what you're suggesting for Purdue. Painter plays the odds.

Reactions: dumpsterFyre
Zach is on most of the draft boards now. Walker Kessler A 7'1 kid out of Auburn (Utah) has been killing it in the Northwest Division. Nuggets, Timberwolves, Thunder and the Trailblazers. All have fallen victim to his size and physicality. All are said to be considering Zach and have watched him play this year. Brad Stevens has watched him play multiple times. I like his chances!
He has been on the 2nd round boards for a while. Have not seen any 1st round projections.

Kessler is 7'1" and 245 lbs. Much more athletic than Edey. He is springy and runs the floor much better than Zach. Other than both of them being 7 feet tall, I don't see the comparison. Kessler was a 1st round pick (#22) so not really a surprise his game translated to the NBA.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Like every other young man in the draft they are playing and training for their second contract. If Zach can improve with an nba staff, he should. If he wants to continue living college life, maybe he should do that. But it’s only ever an undesirable thing if your rookie contract is your best in the pro leagues.

I believe that second round draft picks aren’t necessarily given guaranteed contracts. First round picks get at least 2 years guaranteed, I think. If
you are a second round pick, a team could conceivably cut you before the first game and end your contract.
If this is true, it might be best for Edey to stay around another year; work on his game, go for back to back player of the year, make some NIL cash, win some more championships.

Reactions: Schnelk
I believe that second round draft picks aren’t necessarily given guaranteed contracts. First round picks get at least 2 years guaranteed, I think. If
you are a second round pick, a team could conceivably cut you before the first game and end your contract.
If this is true, it might be best for Edey to stay around another year; work on his game, go for back to back player of the year, make some NIL cash, win some more championships.
Yea not necessarily guaranteed. But you aren’t necessarily cut, lots signed to g league contracts and still an nba staff and training to help development for those skilled enough to take advantage of it.

Yea not necessarily guaranteed. But you aren’t necessarily cut, lots signed to g league contracts and still an nba staff and training to help development for those skilled enough to take advantage of it.
Should Biggie have gone NBA when he did? Ivey yes, I would say.

Speculate away; that's what boards are for.

Should Biggie have gone NBA when he did? Ivey yes, I would say.

Speculate away; that's what boards are for.
Absolutely. His stock would never be higher, and he wasn't getting any better at Purdue. He only flunked out of the NBA because of his personal issues.

If you are a guaranteed first rounder, go. Hire a bunch of tutors and finish your degree later. Projected in the second round or lower, consider waiting a year.

Reactions: MetMyWifeAtHarrys
And Zach has got to be in the top % of development during their college career I think. Not sure i've ever seen a kid develop more DURING season play than this kid has every single year.
Lesser production? LOL
If he can develop a mid range jump shot to go with his hook shot his offense will be nice he can already play defense at a pro level

Eh, he was a high first round pick and those knees were ticking time bombs. Get paid before they blow.
Pretty much agree. Selfishly back then, we wanted him to stay one more year. 6th pick in the draft back in, I believe, 1984. One year with the GSW and then played in Europe. Found and watched an interview with him on YouTube from about 2 years ago. Very good guy. I recommend checking it out.

I did a little research to see what happened to the second round draft choices from 2020. This would be the third year in the NBA for guys drafted that year. Of the 30 guys drafted, 11 are in the league. 3 of those 11 are bouncing back and fourth between the NBA and G -League, while not really contributing at the NBA level. I found 1 or 2 starters out of the 30 guys and only 2 of them average more than 10 points per game.

When I think of second round draft picks, I think about guys like CE, VE, Biggie, and Mathias. They have a shot but its far from a guarantee of any kind of extended stay in the NBA.

In my opinion Edey's draft stock won't change much between this year and next, so I can see it going either way.

Someone was commenting that they shouldn’t allow the portal to open for coaches to contact kids until the tourney is over. The premise is that it puts teams in the tourney at a disadvantage. Is Painter or his staff contacting kids when they are traveling, prepping for games, media etc? Perhaps this is why these kids end up at programs that don’t actually do better.

We don’t even know who will be on our team after the tourney so how could Painter tell kids what opportunity he has for them?

Reactions: SKYDOG
Someone was commenting that they shouldn’t allow the portal to open for coaches to contact kids until the tourney is over. The premise is that it puts teams in the tourney at a disadvantage. Is Painter or his staff contacting kids when they are traveling, prepping for games, media etc? Perhaps this is why these kids end up at programs that don’t actually do better.

We don’t even know who will be on our team after the tourney so how could Painter tell kids what opportunity he has for them?
Totally agree. I hope the coaches and players aren't having those "heart to heart" talks while preparing for tournament games. Could lead to some major disfunction.

Could you imagine. "Hey Trey, I think your great but with all the guys we have coming back, I don't see much playing time for you next year, so you might want to consider your options. Now go out there and kick some butt against Memphis!"

Check out what Morton and Carmin had to say about Zach Edey 3's, starting around 3:35-4:55. For a guy who's primary job is to rebound, clog up the paint and score down low, none of us should be expecting Seth Curry.

He doesn't shoot jumpers because Painter. He doesn't shoot 3's because of Painter. Look at his FT's, he has a nice touch. However, he outweighs people by 75 pounds and is 6"+ taller than most opponents, why would he shoot a lower % jump shot than something by the basket? It doesn't make sense what you're suggesting for Purdue. Painter plays the odds.

Following up with this.

I like Heide a lot, but he hasn't played a minute of college ball yet. He's got 4 years left. Bring in a scoring upperclassman wing who's already gone through the college battles and learning curve and will help from day 1.
My take is that all of the players on this team can bring the needed scoring, and next year they will have all gone through the wars.

I would like to see a quick, ball-handling PG. Being on a championship team will have to be more important to him than being the star.

My take is that all of the players on this team can bring the needed scoring, and next year they will have all gone through the wars.

I would like to see a quick, ball-handling PG. Being on a championship team will have to be more important to him than being the star.
You can still bring in an score first PG next year to play with Smith. Loyers starting spot is definitely not safe and a slashing, get-your-own shot, ball handing guard would complement Smith well. There's plenty of room for someone to avg 15ppg who's not on the team right now.

You can still bring in a score first PG next year to play with Smith. Loyers starting spot is definitely not safe and a slashing, get-your-own shot, ball handing guard would complement Smith well. There's plenty of room for someone to avg 15ppg who's not on the team right now.
I don’t know if Loyers spot is open but Painter would be wise to pick up a 5th year point guard. Someone who can score at all three levels and is solid defensively. We won’t have a true back up at PG next year and really didn’t this year since Jenkins is a SG.

Teams who have success recently in March now how to sprinkle in pieces from the portal to round out the team.

You can still bring in an score first PG next year to play with Smith. Loyers starting spot is definitely not safe and a slashing, get-your-own shot, ball handing guard would complement Smith well. There's plenty of room for someone to avg 15ppg who's not on the team right now.
I don’t know if Loyers spot is open but Painter would be wise to pick up a 5th year point guard. Someone who can score at all three levels and is solid defensively. We won’t have a true back up at PG next year and really didn’t this year since Jenkins is a SG.

Teams who have success recently in March now how to sprinkle in pieces from the portal to round out the team.
I agree. It's time to find a Jersey playground slasher/smasher. I know, it may not fit the Boiler culture, but most didn't think Jenkins would. We need that guard everyone in the BiG hates! And it'd just be for one year.

I agree. It's time to find a Jersey playground slasher/smasher. I know, it may not fit the Boiler culture, but most didn't think Jenkins would. We need that guard everyone in the BiG hates! And it'd just be for one year.
He could be a 25 a minute player/sixth man, 15 at PG, 10 playing alongside of Braden. He would really help having in when pressed, I would love that move.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I'm sure Edey will listen to the NBA evaluators but if he's the unanimous POTY, he can really only go one direction (down). He'll do what's best for him but that's probably to make his move at the peak.
If they don't make FF he's back, that's the kinda of guy / teammate he is....I know , weird in this day and age , but for him ....no.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT