ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting

Jalen Washington returning from ACL. We are in a great position now with Furst and Kaufman-Renn. Not sure about the 2022 class with current players having an extra year of eligibility. Maybe the emphasis in recruiting will shift to 2023?

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Jalen Washington returning from ACL. We are in a great position now with Furst and Kaufman-Renn. Not sure about the 2022 class with current players having an extra year of eligibility. Maybe the emphasis in recruiting will shift to 2023?

Dang - Washington’s listed at 6’-9” and 225.

I’m sure CMP will stay after him, but there will be insane competition for PT in 2022-23.

Reactions: TX4GB
Heide looks solid another good IQ guy, showed some athleticism.

Obviously hard to tell in these clips.

Would love to get a high flyer somewhere in this from an athleticism perspective.

Reactions: TX4GB
Jameel Brown is another guy who's said a lot of good things about Painter and Purdue. Doesn't have a tremendous offer sheet so I think there's a good chance he wants to come here.

I think we'll go for a 4 man class because 2021 is only 2 guys (so far) and both have potential to leave before four years.

This class should be fun because we don't have any real needs based on the '19 and '20 classes. In my opinion, a solid center is the most important pickup for us because if Furst is more of a 4/5 mix and if Edey doesn't do as well as we expect, there is no one behind him.

I also think we would be a great fit for Bruce Thornton because we have Morton that can facilitate the offense, leaving a spot primed for a scoring little guy, Carsen style. Thornton could come in and be given a neon green light.

With that said, I think we'll get Loyer and Brown as wings/guards, a center (hopefully Iwuchukwu), and the last spot to be filled by either Thornton, or a bigger wing (Heide, a few others).

I like Jameel but I don't particularly want to add him if Fletcher signs because I think it would hurt our chances of landing McMillan or Thornton.

Do any of the old timers find it refreshing that we're routinely discussing 4☆ recruits as likely commits and no longer discounting 5☆ possibilities. A far cry from the teams made up completely of 2 and 3☆ players.

I'm concerned that I might be considered an "old timer" ... regardless, what years did we have where we had only 2 star and 3 star players?

Heide looks solid another good IQ guy, showed some athleticism.

Obviously hard to tell in these clips.

Would love to get a high flyer somewhere in this from an athleticism perspective.

uggggg. The dreaded “basketball IQ”....it doesn’t exist. It’s a term used to describe guys who are decent players but athletically challenged.

Do any of the old timers find it refreshing that we're routinely discussing 4☆ recruits as likely commits and no longer discounting 5☆ possibilities. A far cry from the teams made up completely of 2 and 3☆ players.

define “old timers”

If you've been a fan since the day Mackey was opened you're an oldtimer.
I sat with my back against the top wall watching us come within 2 against Alcindor et-al and Wooden following their undefeated season.

It could be argued the best game ever played in Purdue’s Mackey Arena was the first one — against UCLA in December of 1967. This story was published as Purdue was about to open its remodeled version of Mackey. Since then, I don’t believe any of the games at Mackey have topped the first one.

I do not personally think that Ronnie Johnson had a low basketball IQ. However, he could not shoot and I do not think he liked to play in CMPs system.

I do agree that he shot too much. Regardless, Terone and DJ Byrd were our "stars" that year and neither of them were very efficient. In reality they should have been nothing more than complementary players. Hammons was still turnover prone and had not developed into the player he would become.

I was happy to see Ronnie leave and I think the 2013-2014 season was the most recent "low" of Purdue basketball. However, I think people on here use Ronnie as a scapegoat for those down years. It is important to remember that Bryson and Basil both left after the following year as well and Kendall was not far behind them. I think we for whatever reason the mix of players we had did not fit our traditional culture. However, I think many are to blame for that tough stretch.

CMP has stated that he changed the type of players he recruited after those down years. And our program turned around overnight the moment that Vince, Haas, PJ, Mathias, Octeus, and Jacquil walked in the door.

uggggg. The dreaded “basketball IQ”....it doesn’t exist. It’s a term used to describe guys who are decent players but athletically challenged.

No.

I think Michael Jordan put it very well when commenting about Charles Barkley. In essence, MJ was critical of Barkley's teams and his individual performance because, while Barkley was incredibly talented, he didn't know how to make his teams better.

That was MJ's trademark. He had a high basketball IQ, and he used it to make his teams better, not just through his talent.

I don't believe any self-respecting sports fan would call MJ a "decent (player) but athletically challenged".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT