ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting

We are in the Final 4. He forgot Michigan State when he was listing the schools so probably not them 😀.

Everyone needs a PG to hit homers, steal bases, etc...
I honestly wasn't trolling. I was unfamiliar with the term referencing basketball players and was looking to understand. I guess I would define a 5 tool PG as follows:
  1. Able to read the defense and direct the offense with good passing skills.
  2. Able to break down the defense and drive to the basket to score or pass to the open teammate.
  3. Able to hit outside shots at a good percentage.
  4. Able to bring the ball up against the press with good ball-handling skills .
  5. High basketball IQ, understanding when to do all of the above. (May be a restatement of 1. above.)

I honestly wasn't trolling. I was unfamiliar with the term referencing basketball players and was looking to understand. I guess I would define a 5 tool PG as follows:
  1. Able to read the defense and direct the offense with good passing skills.
  2. Able to break down the defense and drive to the basket to score or pass to the open teammate.
  3. Able to hit outside shots at a good percentage.
  4. Able to bring the ball up against the press with good ball-handling skills .
  5. High basketball IQ, understanding when to do all of the above. (May be a restatement of 1. above.)

Maybe also include very good FT % as well?

Are they?

Even if that's correct, how many "NBA PGs" are in the college ranks right now? And, how many of those TRULY have all 5 skills? (Need to objectively define that one!)
I believe that the 5 tools that Bonefish was referring to are:
- Create a shot
- Defend a position
- Hit a jump shot
- Rebound
- Pass

As I see it, one can be a 5 tool player at a college level, but fall way short in some of the tools at an NBA level. I would say that Vincent Edwards was a five tool player at a college level, but certainly not at an NBA level.

IMO, it is very rare to find a true 5 tool player. Caleb Swanigan was a borderline 5 tool player in college, but could not really guard a position in the NBA.

Dakota Mathias excelled at jump shooting, passing, and guarding his position at the college level, but couldn’t really create his own shot and wasn’t a great rebounder. I think that’s fine. For the three perimeter positions, Dakota possessed the tools that I like to see in every player.

The rarest tool is creating one’s own shot. The 2019 elite 8 team had just two players who could create a shot: Carsen Edwards and Cline, but the other players did enough things well that that was a very effective team. It’s very hard to run an offense without this tool, but I don’t think it is necessary for a lot of players to have it. This year’s team will have Ivey, and Tre/Zach. I think that is enough, but they will be more effective if surrounded by players who can hit their jump shots and pass the ball.

Reactions: GregJM24
Ball handling (not turnover prone).
Passing and vision (instinct and setting up players to be successful).
Shooting FG% and FT%.
Quickness - lateral, shot creation and defensive pressure.
Athletic, vertical, wingspan (goes with defense , rebounding, and shot creation).
Mentally and physically tough.
Leadership skills… chemistry with teammates.

Lenny is definitely keen on ability to penetrate effectively.

giphy.gif

Are they?

Even if that's correct, how many "NBA PGs" are in the college ranks right now? And, how many of those TRULY have all 5 skills? (Need to objectively define that one!)
I don't watch enough NBA to know how many are/aren't, but I do think that an NBA team needs scoring/shooting out of all 5 positions.

I suppose we kinda knew he had cooled on us, but that’s kinda disappointing.

I am glad we have a coach that executes plan C beautifully, but I don’t think we have landed a plan A center since swanigan- unless Trevion was a plan A center.
Tre was a plan A. Painter was on him early and stayed on him thru the foot injury.

Essegian down to his top 7 schools. I was thinking we might jump in and then redshirt but we need the scholly for a potential big or 5 tool G, as our board scouts say 😉. Go for Hart or Parker F in 2023 as a shooter for that class.

• Love
Reactions: BoilerAndy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT