ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Recruiting

The results may be similar but to you and NC both- I would strongly disagree these teams are similar in any basketball sense. As a matter of fact I would hold them up as teams who are very different. They score at the rim. We shoot threes like crazy. To date they are better defensively while we are more efficient offensively.
I'm not saying they play a similar style. I don't think he is saying that either. I think both of us are saying that both teams have the ability to beat the same teams and both teams have the ability to lose to the same teams. Basically these teams are evenly matched.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
The results may be similar but to you and NC both- I would strongly disagree these teams are similar in any basketball sense. As a matter of fact I would hold them up as teams who are very different. They score at the rim. We shoot threes like crazy. To date they are better defensively while we are more efficient offensively.
I never insinuated they played a similar style of basketball. They are almost complete opposites.

Reactions: BoilerIron
I never insinuated they played a similar style of basketball. They are almost complete opposites.
That’s cool I was just going by this statement you made earlier...

“The point of this entire discussion was that IU and Purdue have very similar teams this year”.

When I saw that I assumed the obvious. In this case the obvious was wrong. ;)

That’s cool I was just going by this statement you made earlier...

“The point of this entire discussion was that IU and Purdue have very similar teams this year”.

When I saw that I assumed the obvious. In this case the obvious was wrong. ;)
Similar teams from a potential perspective. I should have said evenly matched like Iron said.

Still no 2020 recruiting news, eh? :(

Yeah this went downhill fast.......

Kerwin Walton 6'5 2/3 from 2020 is on official visit. Know nothing about him other than he his a borderline 4 star. Plays on same HS team as Nnaji. In this video he looks like a shooter. Similar player to Newman with a slower release and maybe a little less explosive. Can't have enough length and scoring though. Should be a great environment to make an impression.

Reactions: SKYDOG and tenwest

Kerwin Walton 6'5 2/3 from 2020 is on official visit. Know nothing about him other than he his a borderline 4 star. Plays on same HS team as Nnaji. In this video he looks like a shooter. Similar player to Newman with a slower release and maybe a little less explosive. Can't have enough length and scoring though. Should be a great environment to make an impression.

Bump for any PURDUE recruiting news.

Reactions: Boilermaker24
IMO, basketball is moving away from the prototypical 2g/2f/1c lineup. Very rarely do you see teams with 2 "bigs" on the court together. It's more of a 1pg/3wing/1big setup. More athletes, more speed, more up-tempo and you keep 1 big for rebounding and blocks.

You are right. It has changed into that a long time ago.
Also, the 'weave' scares away quality athletes and quality PG's.

That kid should be a five star player. I watched the video and he never missed a shot.

So let's boil down 2019-2020.
At the 5: Tre Williams should be a starter. Bench: Haarms, Boudreaux, and Dow
At the 4: Wheeler, ?
At the 3: Newman, Sasha
At the 2: Sasha, Hunter
At the 1: Nojel, IT​

If I were king, I would work on making Haarms a power forward over the summer. He has a good touch shooting, and can handle the ball. Boudreaux might not see the floor unless he converts to a PF too. I could see him alternating with Wheeler at the 4-spot. That assumes Dow is able to contribute in a back up role.

I expect both Isaiah and Newman to contribute right away. Too bad Brooks is looking so hard at that dumpster fire down south. He could have immediate playing time here at either the 3 or 4 spot.
We have Mason Gillis as well, and he'll be a 4. In fact my gut says he's going to be a good one. Let's not forget Gillis.

At the 5: Williams, Haarms, Boudreaux, and Dow
At the 4: Wheeler, Gillis
At the 3: Newman and Brooks (Yes I think he comes to Purdue)
At the 1: Eastern, IT

*Note: King and Luce also but Luce is dropped from scholarship back to walk on unless both Boogie and Eastern go pro.

This offseason will be huge for Purdue to see if Boogie and Eastern go to the NBA...if they stay then huge for Purdue, if they go we are thin at PG.
*Note: Painter may have to have a late signee at guard for depth to give time for IT to get up to speed in weight room.

Boiler Up bitches!
PU Boiler I love your optimism I bet your glass is always running over.It makes no difference if I agree with your post because they always brighten my day and make every day mushroom season.

So let's boil down 2019-2020.
At the 5: Tre Williams should be a starter. Bench: Haarms, Boudreaux, and Dow
At the 4: Wheeler, ?
At the 3: Newman, Sasha
At the 1: Nojel, IT​

If I were king, I would work on making Haarms a power forward over the summer. He has a good touch shooting, and can handle the ball. Boudreaux might not see the floor unless he converts to a PF too. I could see him alternating with Wheeler at the 4-spot. That assumes Dow is able to contribute in a back up role.

I expect both Isaiah and Newman to contribute right away. Too bad Brooks is looking so hard at that dumpster fire down south. He could have immediate playing time here at either the 3 or 4 spot.

Brooks is heading farther south than Bloomington these days.....Hint - Blueteam on otherside of the RIver. Even cancelled his MSU visit...lol!

Reactions: Schnelk
Brooks is heading farther south than Bloomington these days.....Hint - Blueteam on otherside of the RIver. Even cancelled his MSU visit...lol!
I can understand this choice because that's where all the NBA wannabes go. I think he is probably making a mistake in that the coaching and experience, as well as the publicity are better for him at other places. If Painter thinks he is a two and done, if so, he will likely be over recruited and ride the bench with the blue & white boys.

Too bad. Think how he would look as a big man on campus at Purdue. He would get many more opportunities to shine, and get good developmental coaching. I still think Calipari takes very talented kids and throws them on the court, while they wait a year to join the pros. He does do much development of individual skills from what little I've observed. Don't quote how many pros he has put in the NBA. Most of those players could have gone directly to the league without any college. UK was just a quick stop off.

Read testimony from any Purdue fan who was there and Purdue by far and away had the largest fan contingency there and there wasn't a close second.

I was in the arena for the VT game and it was a home crowd for PU. The first half was an NCAA tourney game atmosphere. 75-25% PU fans.

I thought his camp was all about state allegiance...…….smh
Don't let the door hit ya...…..

Can you blame him from reevaluating heading to B’town? And like Romeo, I don’t think he wants to work that hard becoming a “team” player for CMP.....Sadly, for his sake.

Reactions: krs84
Can you blame him from reevaluating heading to B’town? And like Romeo, I don’t think he wants to work that hard becoming a “team” player for CMP.....Sadly, for his sake.
No I can't blame him, but since PU was never in the picture...….and Kentucky is...…….he is dead to me now. And as you said, "team" players are what PU is looking for, and doing quite well with. Good luck kid.

Here we go... right before Selection Sunday and during BTT. I saw David Bell liked the tweet. It’s a done deal, ha.

Here we go... right before Selection Sunday and during BTT. I saw David Bell liked the tweet. It’s a done deal, ha.

It's cool he's doing the announcement at his grade school. You know who else graduated from there? Ricky Hall. Hmmm, maybe bring Ricky back for the surprise Boiler announcement? Fun to dream but I agree with others that he's UK bound.

It's cool he's doing the announcement at his grade school. You know who else graduated from there? Ricky Hall. Hmmm, maybe bring Ricky back for the surprise Boiler announcement? Fun to dream but I agree with others that he's UK bound.
That would be cool if that happened with Hall. Looking back, that was a small back court of Hall and Steve Reid but they led the team to a Big 10 Championship in 84. Hope we get another one 35 years later. There was an Eifert on that team too.

Reactions: ChuckJr
I would have taken you for a Milwaukee Light/Pabst kind of drinker.:p And if the Porthole were still in business, a frequenter of that fine dining establishment.:rolleyes:
The Porthole closed long before I was 21 haha. On Thanksgiving Eve, I do go to The Elks or Sned's, though.

On February 9th, Tyler Beard (PG) and DJ Steward (CG) visited. They are both top 100 (according to 247) guards out of Illinois. They recently played against each other in a sectional game. @Boiler_ray said he was there and said Beard didn’t do much, but Steward lead his team to a W with somewhere in the 20 point range.

https://247sports.com/Player/DJ-Steward-46047999/
With a twitter of @swipasnipa

And

https://247sports.com/player/tyler-beard-46047367/

Neither one has an offer yet as far as I know, but they are definitely worth watching.

one would think eventually UK and MSU would run out of scholarships to offer to the people we're targeting/recruiting. one would also think they are slumming if they can't recruit their usual top 25 ranked 5* players anymore. What's happened to UK ?

Reactions: Boilermaker24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT