ADVERTISEMENT

2018-2019 Basketball Predictions

I think MSU and UM are the clear two best teams in the conference. If I had to categorize the B10 into tiers

Tier 1
MSU
UM

Tier 2---and these teams could flop position by the night next year and teams I see making the tournament and/or firmly on the bubble
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Maryland
Indiana
Purdue
Ohio State

Tier 3
Iowa
Penn State
Minnesota

Tier 4
Illinois
Northwestern
Rutgers

I agree with this. Tier 2 has a bunch of teams that the order is hard to predict and we won't know until the season starts.

I would probably flip Minny up to Tier 2 and OSU down to Tier 3, but that is splitting hairs. OSU has much better coach, but the talent is still there at Minny if Coffee is healthy. Plus, Jordan Murphy is too good of a returning talent to write off IMO.

Being down on OSU is also a little wishful thinking since I want them to suck for a year before Holtman starts bringing in the 5 stars consistently.

Michigan ended up going 1-2 during their Euro trip. Maybe they aren't quite as good as most of us have predicted.

Michigan ended up going 1-2 during their Euro trip. Maybe they aren't quite as good as most of us have predicted.

Yeah people were saying the same thing about them last year when they lost to LSU in Maui or wherever.

Beilein(who didnt coach them on the trip) always finds a way to lull the casuals into thinking they arent good.

Btw, the professional team they played today recently signed Dakota Mathias.

Yeah people were saying the same thing about them last year when they lost to LSU in Maui or wherever.

Beilein(who didnt coach them on the trip) always finds a way to lull the casuals into thinking they arent good.

Btw, the professional team they played today recently signed Dakota Mathias.
Their assist to turnover numbers are the most concerning thing for them. They were horrendous in that department during their trip. Their defense was awful during the trip as well.

Their assist to turnover numbers are the most concerning thing for them. They were horrendous in that department during their trip. Their defense was awful during the trip as well.

There are no concerns from me about their defense. It will round into form once they settle on a real rotation in-season with Zavier Simpson, Charles Mathews, and Jon Teske all returning.

The turnover problem, however, could rear its ugly head at some point. They were fourth in the nation last year in limiting turnovers and MAAR and Duncan Robinson were tops in that category so replacing their minutes with players who cant figure that out could hurt the offense some.

At some point though

Zavier Simpson
Jordan Poole
Charles Mathews
Isiah Livers
Jon Teske

6th man: IGNAS

Is going to become one of the conferences best lineups. Just a matter of when, not if.

There are no concerns from me about their defense. It will round into form once they settle on a real rotation in-season with Zavier Simpson, Charles Mathews, and Jon Teske all returning.

The turnover problem, however, could rear its ugly head at some point. They were fourth in the nation last year in limiting turnovers and MAAR and Duncan Robinson were tops in that category so replacing their minutes with players who cant figure that out could hurt the offense some.

At some point though

Zavier Simpson
Jordan Poole
Charles Mathews
Isiah Livers
Jon Teske

6th man: IGNAS

Is going to become one of the conferences best lineups. Just a matter of when, not if.
I agree. Michigan is going to be one of the best teams in the BIG this year. No surprise since every swinging d--k has them in the top two in the conference. The interesting part is who will be challenging them.

Reactions: Mgkcbb
Alright...Going to toss my BIG predictions out there....(as of August 26, 2018):

1. Michigan (16-4)
2. Michigan State (15-5)
3. Purdue (14-6)
4. IU (13-7)
5. Nebraska (12-8)
6. Maryland (12-8)
7. Penn State (11-9)
8. Wisconsin (10-10)
9. Ohio State (8-12)
10. Iowa (8-12)
11. Illinois (7-13)
12. Minnesota (6-14)
13. Northwestern (6-14)
14. Rutgers (2-18)

BTT Champion: Purdue

Top 6 regular season teams to the NCAA's.

Reactions: mathboy
I agree with this. Tier 2 has a bunch of teams that the order is hard to predict and we won't know until the season starts.

I would probably flip Minny up to Tier 2 and OSU down to Tier 3, but that is splitting hairs. OSU has much better coach, but the talent is still there at Minny if Coffee is healthy. Plus, Jordan Murphy is too good of a returning talent to write off IMO.

Being down on OSU is also a little wishful thinking since I want them to suck for a year before Holtman starts bringing in the 5 stars consistently.
I'd for sure flip the Illini and Iowa. And no way does Maryland finish in the top 5 or 6. My guess, IU comes in at number 7....with an outside shot at 6th.

I'd for sure flip the Illini and Iowa. And no way does Maryland finish in the top 5 or 6. My guess, IU comes in at number 7....with an outside shot at 6th.

Why do you feel that way about Maryland? I understand Turge kind of sucks as a coach but theyre clearly one of the most talented teams, if not the most talented, in the conference?

Seems like that alone should be worth a top 5 finish if they remain healthy.

Why do you feel that way about Maryland? I understand Turge kind of sucks as a coach but theyre clearly one of the most talented teams, if not the most talented, in the conference?

Seems like that alone should be worth a top 5 finish if they remain healthy.
I used to like Turgeon, but I've seen enough of his players out of control and really believe he's lost the team. Talent doesn't always win. Honestly, I think this will be his last year.

Reactions: Mgkcbb
I used to like Turgeon, but I've seen enough of his players out of control and really believe he's lost the team. Talent doesn't always win. Honestly, I think this will be his last year.

Yeah if he doesnt make the tournament you'd think his time will be up. I do believe in the talent on that team though.

Maryland has finished top 3 in the conference every year since they joined the B1G besides this past season. Despite tournament failures, they certainly tend to take care of business during conference play. With one of the most talented rosters in the B1G this year, I think a top 5 or 6 finish is very likely.

Reactions: Schnelk
Maryland has finished top 3 in the conference every year since they joined the B1G besides this past season. Despite tournament failures, they certainly tend to take care of business during conference play. With one of the most talented rosters in the B1G this year, I think a top 5 or 6 finish is very likely.

Agreed and Maryland was a top 25 team last year before Jackson got hurt. Maryland likely has the most talented roster in the B10 next year. If Fernando makes a big freshman to sophomore jump they could easily win the B10. My money is still on MSU because they return 3 experienced starting upperclassmen, but Maryland has the talent to overcome Sparty.

I just look at

Trent Frazier 35% from 3
Aaron Jordan 46%
Kipper Nichols 38%

Andres Feliz shot 42% from 3 at his previous stop. Ive seen video of him and he is awesome. His handle is so tight and controlled and he can get to wherever hes trying to get because hes so quick. Had 207 assists to only 76 turnovers. Averaged 20 points per game.

You surround him with

Frazier
Ayo
Kipper Nichols

Have Aaron Jordan as the first sub off the bench since Ayo Dosunmu, Trent Frazier, and Andres Feliz can all play point.

That lineup is going to be a matchup nightmare for teams when they are on defenseand create a ton of turnovers against opposing offenses.

If you go look at the numbers, Leron Black and Michael Finke especially were terrible defensively for them last season. Kipper Nichols was their best defender and he showed a ton of promise on offense so an increased role for him is a very good thing going into his junior year.

Ayo is regarded as a defensive terror and will fit Underwoods high pressure system like a glove.

Theres a lot to love about Illinois if they can stay healthy. The center position is obviously a hige question mark for them with the Adobis de whatever and this Samba w
kane mystery box, but I like that Nichols had such a good rebound % since it will allow Illinois to play small.

Looking at them offensively last year, they just turned it over way too much, voiding out all the turnovers they forced themselves defensively and allowed other teams easy points.

I think this Feliz guy, along with their freshman phenom Ayo(who played very well during his time with USA basketball according to reports) is going to remedy that and youre going to see a very efficient offense that can shoot the 3 from 4 positions but also get to the rim with multiple guys and a team that forces a tonof turnovers again.

They arent deep so this is all predicated on them staying healthy, but theres a lot to love about Illinois this season.

They for sure have not just better guards than Michigan State, they have guards who are vastly superior to the Spartans guards by a country mile.

I know I’m stirring the pot here, but Illinois has stayed healthy (they even got that Kent St grad transfer back really eary) and at 1-4 so far in non-con, they truly and completely stink. Ayo and Feliz are in their first year in D1, play for a train wreck defensive coach, and are so very much plain old not as good as Winston and Josh Langford.

No surprise, Michigan State is quite good, as usual.

A nice lesson in the art of a poster cherry picking stats to justify utter nonsense.

Last edited:
I know I’m stirring the pot here, but Illinois has stayed healthy (they even got that Kent St grad transfer back really eary) and at 1-4 so far in non-con, they truly and completely stink. Ayo and Feliz are in their first year in D1, play for a train wreck defensive coach, and are so very much plain old not as good as Winston and Josh Langford.

No surprise, Michigan State is quite good, as usual.

A nice lesson in the art of a poster cherry picking stats to justify utter nonsense.

I haven’t watched them much yet, so I can’t say. But I did watch the Georgetown game, and Ayo is the real deal. That kid is good. I haven’t even looked at his stats for the season, maybe they’re terrible. But watching him play just for 10 minutes or so....he’s good. If he’s not one of the top 5 fresh in the BIG by year's end, I would be surprised.

Devonte Green chucked up a ton of shots despite being wildly inefficient. Nojels stats also resemble that of a power forward, that's a good number of rebounds per 100 possessions. Nojel was a much more efficient player at 104. O rating compared to 96.6 for Green (96.6 is just laughably bad) There's 2 differences
1. Nojel Easterrn was a true frosh while Devonte Green was playing in his second season
2. Nojel Eastern was elite defensively while Green was terrible on defense as well, as evidenced by their net ratings.

Green is nowhere close to the caliber of player of Nojel Easter .

So, we're about 1/3 through the season, which quasi-point guard do you like Mgkcbb?
  • PLAYER 'A': 21.3 mpg, 7.8 ppg, 1.4 Assist/Turnover ratio, 3.3 rpg, 1.5 steals pg, 40% fg, 75% ft, 39% 3pt
  • PLAYER 'B': 27.6 mpg, 5.2 ppg, 1.3 Assist/Turnover ratio, 4.7 rpg, 1.4 steals pg, 56% fg, 25% ft, 0 % 3pt
Both are above average defenders. I'll take 'A'.

Last edited:
So, we're about 1/3 through the season, which quasi-point guard do you like Mgkcbb?
  • PLAYER 'A': 21.3 mpg, 7.8 ppg, 1.4 Assist/Turnover ratio, 3.3 rpg, 1.5 steals pg, 40% fg, 75% ft, 39% 3pt
  • PLAYER 'B': 27.6 mpg, 5.2 ppg, 1.3 Assist/Turnover ratio, 4.7 rpg, 1.4 steals pg, 56% fg, 25% ft, 0 % 3pt

More of Mgkcbb's idiotic predictions coming back to bite them in the ass? What a shocker! I still remember when Mgk said Illinois would be better than MSU. Dude's a total joke.

Well, obviously, Im taking the elite defender who also is 56% from the field offensively over the wildly inefficient offensive player who doubles as a really poor defender. That prediction could not have been more accurate both in how superior of a player Nojel is and also describing what type of player each player is going forward.

But dont let any of that distract from how elite my Romeo Langford prediction was. He is now 9 of 44 from 3 for a putrid 20% shooting from beyond the arc. I tried telling everyone the boys shot was broken and he would have to pad his stats against low majors to make up for it. And what do you know? He absolutely can not male a jump shot to save his life which has really hurt him against high major defenders, namely Duke.

Reactions: Schnelk
Well, obviously, Im taking the elite defender who also is 56% from the field offensively over the wildly inefficient offensive player who doubles as a really poor defender. That prediction could not have been more accurate both in how superior of a player Nojel is and also describing what type of player each player is going forward.

But dont let any of that distract from how elite my Romeo Langford prediction was. He is now 9 of 44 from 3 for a putrid 20% shooting from beyond the arc. I tried telling everyone the boys shot was broken and he would have to pad his stats against low majors to make up for it. And what do you know? He absolutely can not male a jump shot to save his life which has really hurt him against high major defenders, namely Duke.

Lol he hasn’t padded his stats against low majors. Yes, the Duke game was very bad. And yes, he is not a great 3pt shooter. But during the broadcast last night they mentioned that Romeo was averaging about 18ppg, and that with many players you see that average drop against tougher opponents. But in his case, he has still averaged 18ppg against all Power 5 teams this season, it’s not just padding from mid majors.

His jump shot is not broken, he shoots it quite well from midrange and has a nice looking shot. What he needs to work on is shooting from a set shot. When he’s on the dribble, in rhythym, he shoots quite well. However, most of his 3pt attempts this year have been off kickouts where it’s an open set shot. He doesn’t shoot those well at all, maybe because he rarely got open shots like that in high school due to constant double teams. He had to shoot everything off the dribble, so he became very good at it. He probably won’t have a great 3pt% this year, and that’s fine because he scores in so many other ways. But I have no doubt that his stroke isn’t broken, and that he’ll be a successful 3pt shooter down the line in his career.

For starters, Greens Drtg is 84.4 while Nojel's is 101.7. You are an advanced stats guy. The advanced stats say Green is far and away the better defender.

As for Romeo, you were correct in predicting he would struggle from 3. You were dead wrong (and based on this post you still are wrong) about Romeo's scoring ability at the collegiate level. He's an elite scorer even without a jumpshot.

You tried to say he is only scoring well against poor competition, but that's laughable considering his top 5 scoring performances this season have come against Marquette, Arkansas, UC-Davis, Northwestern, and Louisville.

You said he would be around 12 pts/gm on very inefficient shooting. He is averaging 18 pts/gm while shooting 50% from the field (61% from 2). His career low is 13 points, which is still above what you predicted he would average.

LOL...
  • PLAYER 'C': 33.1 mpg, 17.8 ppg, 1.2 Assist/Turnover ratio at SG, 5.9 rpg, 49% fg, 69% ft, 21% 3pt, and....6.8 fouls drawn per game (!)
And he's a good defender too (I assume that you'd agree that the guy who is playing the most minutes is just a little bit responsible for IU currently being in the top 20 for team defense?)

Those "low majors he's padded his stats" against? He's averaging 18.3 ppg against Butler, Louisville, Duke, Marquette, Arkansas, Penn St, and Northwestern. In other words, he's scoring more against the Power 5 teams he's played, even including the Duke egg-laying game.

That 3pt % hurting him has equated to a higher ppg average against high-majors; if a weak 3pt % is the formula for success, then Player 'B listed above should be destroying good teams on offense ;)

BUT MY FAVORITE PART OF YOUR RESPONSE? You still prefer Nojel Eastern to Romeo Langford (oops, I mean, you prefer Player 'B' to Player 'C')

Langford Defensive Rating 89.3
Eastern Defensive Rating 100.5

Green (the "really poor defender") Defensive Rating 84.4, which if it continued (unlikely) would put him with the 31st best defensive rating of any player in college basketball in the last ten years.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/leaders/def-rtg-player-season.html

So, I stand corrected, this is my favorite part of your posts.

Last edited:
Reactions: MGC_07
More of Mgkcbb's idiotic predictions coming back to bite them in the ass? What a shocker! I still remember when Mgk said Illinois would be better than MSU. Dude's a total joke.

More than 1 joke post in this thread...

B-WestyAll-American
Gold Member

"1. Michigan
2. Michigan State
3. Purdue
4. Maryland
5. Nebraska
6. Indiana
7. Wisconsin
8. Ohio State
9. Penn State
10. Minnesota
11. Northwestern
12. Iowa
13. Rutgers
14. Illinois

IU will be overrated all year. They have no shooters and will play a slow, plodding style of offense that won't allow Romeo to display his full skill set (he's overrated too BTW). Morgan will be good but other than that I think they'll be a pretty similar team to last year and Purdue will sweep them."

B-WestyAll-American
Gold Member

"1. Michigan
2. Michigan State
3. Purdue
4. Maryland
5. Nebraska
6. Indiana
7. Wisconsin
8. Ohio State
9. Penn State
10. Minnesota
11. Northwestern
12. Iowa
13. Rutgers
14. Illinois

IU will be overrated all year. They have no shooters and will play a slow, plodding style of offense that won't allow Romeo to display his full skill set (he's overrated too BTW). Morgan will be good but other than that I think they'll be a pretty similar team to last year and Purdue will sweep them."
Care to share your prediction?

1. Michigan
2. Michigan State
3. Purdue
4. Maryland
5. Nebraska
6. Indiana
7. Wisconsin
8. Ohio State
9. Penn State
10. Minnesota
11. Northwestern
12. Iowa
13. Rutgers
14. Illinois

IU will be overrated all year. They have no shooters and will play a slow, plodding style of offense that won't allow Romeo to display his full skill set (he's overrated too BTW). Morgan will be good but other than that I think they'll be a pretty similar team to last year and Purdue will sweep them.
I mean, this prediction was pretty good guys. I defintiely pegged IU too high, though.

Romeo Langford update:

Conference play

44.5% field goal
25% 3 point
78% free throw
15 assists / 20 turnovers

Offensive rating 108.8
Defensive rating 108.1

Net rating +0.7

Ryan Cline in conference play

44.2% field goal
47% 3 point
75% FT

27 assists / 11 turnovers

Offensive rating 127.0
Defensive rating 109.5

Net rating +17.5

Win shares:

Romeo Langford 0.9
Ryan Cline 1.0

Hilarious to think how many IU fans had a hissy fit when I told them Ryan Cline is a superior player months ago and here he is - performed vastly superior to Romeo Langford in conference play.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
3 teams I like as much as any

Tier 1
Michigan, Purdue, Nebraska

Nebraska top 4 players are either the best or 2nd best in the conference
Michigan returns great defenders in Zavier Simpson, Charles Mathews, and Teske. So they should be able to build yet another great defense to go along with a Beilein offense
Purdue returns 3 of their top 4 defenders according to the numbers in Carsen, Nojel, and HAARMS. Carsen was one of the best / mosy efficient PnR players in the nation last year so the offense should be good with him

Tier 2
Most talented team in the conference is Maryland but I do question their coaching so going to just stick them at 4 knowing full well they could win the conference. I think their frosh are going to be great. Wiggins is my guess for Frosh of the year, especially now with him getting Huerters minutes.

Still,
BRUNO
Jalen Smith
Wiggins
Ayala
Cowan

Is a talented starting 5 with Morsell able to slot in at a spot or come off the bench as well. Had Huerter returned, I think you'e
talking about a top 10 team in the nation

Wisconsin And Iowa should both be much improved and be strong teams to compete for tournament bids. Iowa has so much offensive talent but Fran really needs to figure out defense.

But at the end of the day, Iowa boasts talents in

Tyler Cook
Jordan Bohannon
Luka Garza

They bring in a talented scorer in Wieskamp. They have do everything Nicholas Baer again. I mean, the talent suggests they should challenge for the league crown this year. If Fran has a healthy team all year and still doesn't make the tournament this year, I think I'm ready to permanently write him off as a coach.

Ethan Happ will probably lead Wisconsin in every major statistical category again, but he needs some of the guards to step up and hit those open 3s he generates so often for teammates. They have potential to come out of nowhere and have an elite offense ala Purdue this year if guys can simply shoot 3s around Happ because you can't really guard him one on one or he will punish you.

At the end of the day, the conference champion should come from my first 6 teams
Maryland/Michigan/Purdue/Nebraska/Wisconsin/Iowa. If someone else ends up winning it, it will be a surprise on the level of Ohio State going 15-3 this season.

Tier 3

Who knows what to do with Ohio State? Ohio State has a solid team and a good coach, so really don't want to drop them too far. Bring in a nice frosh SG who should add shooting to a lineup that has a good point guard and efficient post scorer.

Northwestern was set to be a potential tournament team until they lost their pointguard a coupleof weeks ago. They have talented and versatile wings with a good big in Pardon, and they lose inefficient on offense/bad at defense players in Bryant Mcintosh and Scottie Lindsey which should help on both sides of the ball, but they have no lead guard so hard to be too optimistic about them.

Indiana should be better than last season, whether that translates to a tournament bid or not remains to be seen. If they can shoot decent or better from 3, they have a chance here but it's hard to find where that shooting will come from on that roster considering most of their returners range from bad to awful in 3 point % and their two frosh guards shot 35% in their hs career from behind the arc.

Michigan State projects to start 4 bad defenders so their ceiling defensively is basically decent defense with a range out to terrible defensively. If Izzo has talented frosh and he replaces Langford and Mcquaid altogether, they could move up this list. Hard to see them being anywhere above middle of the pack if Langford and Mcquaid play huge minutes though. Cassius and Nick Ward are as talented an offensive duo this league has though. They really need to figure out a way to get them more shots and Langford less shots. Langford was second on the team last year in field goal attempts. On a team with 4 offensive dynamos like Miles Bridges, JJJ, Ward, and Cassius, that is just inexcusable from Izzo and this team doesn't have the talent to survive a mistake as costly as that this year unless he runs insanely hot from those midrange 2 point jumpers he fell in love with (nearly 50% of his attempts were 2 point jumpers!)

Minnesota returns some really good players but I can't figure out whether they'll be in the tournament or bottom of the barrel. Their sophomore guard Isiah Washington is a legitimate dark horse contender for all conference if he can improve decision making, I think. Ultimately, I don't know though. Hard to peg them. Could have a double dye in the B1G tournament or could be bottom 4 and playing on the first day.

Illinois may outscore some teams with their guards but have no frontcourt options as of right now so will probably get killed on the boards and defensively. I do expect them to have a top 30 offense though that will win some games for them that nobody expects them to win.

Penn State is on the brink of losing their rim protector and board man at center in Mike Watkins so I have no clue where to slot them besides towards the bottom

Nobody took a smaller % of their attempts from behind the 3 point line last year than Rutgers. One of the reasons they were so bad is because they're still lagging behind while everyone else is attempting more 3s. Hard to be optimistic about a coach whose offense is so poorly executed so I'm going to stick Rutgers dead last and not think twice about it.

Just read back to my predictions preseason.

Lets just say its a tough scene out here for me, especially my write up on MSU.

Probably not 3 teams in the nation better than MSU and I had them in the third tier in the B1G alone.

Looking back, I like my prediction on 25 June. anybody who doesn't can just " STICK" IT !

I do pretty well for an old guy who doesn't know a lot or follow high school basketball very much and is not an English major.

This was extremely accurate.

B-WestyAll-American
Gold Member

"1. Michigan
2. Michigan State
3. Purdue
4. Maryland
5. Nebraska
6. Indiana
7. Wisconsin
8. Ohio State
9. Penn State
10. Minnesota
11. Northwestern
12. Iowa
13. Rutgers
14. Illinois

@cosmickid ??? Hello??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT