ADVERTISEMENT

‘20 class winding down

StickPurdue

Junior
Sep 17, 2016
Indianapolis
They are currently about 4 over what I expected them to take. Couple that with the fact they are still hard recruiting several other ‘20 targets. You would think Brohm would be wrapping up and happy with his current haul, but he is out there trying to get the best possible recruits.

I love that he is targeting Ford and Crawford. Two fantastic OL out of Texas with some crazy good offers. Brohm has some very good OL prospects, but Crawford and Ford both look ready to go now. Obviously, if those two targets pick Purdue, Purdue would would have a ridiculous OL class. Would also cause some movement of current commits.

Brohm is still heavy on Ox, who appears to be down to Kentucky, Tennessee, and Purdue. Just visited and he has to see he could plug right in and be a player like Neal to anchor that middle. It is literally the perfect fit when you pair him with GK. Not many teams have a true freshman like him. Also, Purdue has Austin, which would be a very good compliment.

Last, but not least is Hornsby. Dual threat with top end speed. Can completely change an offense and if you look how successful Purdue was with Plummer using his feet, this makes sense. Opposing teams have to commit a spy to him or he can burn them. Ya... a lot to like about this dude. Absolute athlete. I like the current QB commit, but Brohm like competition and Hornsby brings something nobody else has on the roster. Not to mention, Purdue is thin with Sipe leaving. Freed up a nice landing spot for Hornsby. The LN Junior is probably the only thing that would keep Brohm taking Hornsby. Think it might be a “whoever commits first” kinda thing.

Personally, I think all 3 of those guys are must take guys. I think it would cause some of the linebackers or safety recruits to look elsewhere. The trenches are priority number one. If Purdue can land Ford, Crawford, and Ox I think they address the most pressing needs and fill in some of the ‘19 holes with guys ready to contribute out the gate. Just one of those guys would be amazing, 2 of the 4 would be nothing short of incredible, 3/4 would make Purdue perennial contenders in the West (especially if it’s Ford, Crawford, and Ox), and all 4 would get us to the playoffs (think this could also go for if Purdue misses, but can land McCulley in ‘21). Ok, that might be a bit extreme, but Purdue’s biggest weakness is in the trenches. And when you can add guys like Gus, Ford, and Crawford you can lineup with the big boys and win. And Ox replaces Neal. And it can’t be undersold what losing Neal did to that defense. He would instantly make Purdue better. Love that. And Hornsby just adds another dimension/weapon for Brohm’s offense. A perfect compliment for Alaimo, a pure pocket passer.

Anyway, I rambled. Point of the post is that Purdue should be winding down here. A few folks may have to decomit if Purdue wants to land all of the 4 I mentioned, but I like that Brohm is being aggressive and still trying to improve.

They are currently about 4 over what I expected them to take. Couple that with the fact they are still hard recruiting several other ‘20 targets. You would think Brohm would be wrapping up and happy with his current haul, but he is out there trying to get the best possible recruits.

I love that he is targeting Ford and Crawford. Two fantastic OL out of Texas with some crazy good offers. Brohm has some very good OL prospects, but Crawford and Ford both look ready to go now. Obviously, if those two targets pick Purdue, Purdue would would have a ridiculous OL class. Would also cause some movement of current commits.

Brohm is still heavy on Ox, who appears to be down to Kentucky, Tennessee, and Purdue. Just visited and he has to see he could plug right in and be a player like Neal to anchor that middle. It is literally the perfect fit when you pair him with GK. Not many teams have a true freshman like him. Also, Purdue has Austin, which would be a very good compliment.

Last, but not least is Hornsby. Dual threat with top end speed. Can completely change an offense and if you look how successful Purdue was with Plummer using his feet, this makes sense. Opposing teams have to commit a spy to him or he can burn them. Ya... a lot to like about this dude. Absolute athlete. I like the current QB commit, but Brohm like competition and Hornsby brings something nobody else has on the roster. Not to mention, Purdue is thin with Sipe leaving. Freed up a nice landing spot for Hornsby. The LN Junior is probably the only thing that would keep Brohm taking Hornsby. Think it might be a “whoever commits first” kinda thing.

Personally, I think all 3 of those guys are must take guys. I think it would cause some of the linebackers or safety recruits to look elsewhere. The trenches are priority number one. If Purdue can land Ford, Crawford, and Ox I think they address the most pressing needs and fill in some of the ‘19 holes with guys ready to contribute out the gate. Just one of those guys would be amazing, 2 of the 4 would be nothing short of incredible, 3/4 would make Purdue perennial contenders in the West (especially if it’s Ford, Crawford, and Ox), and all 4 would get us to the playoffs (think this could also go for if Purdue misses, but can land McCulley in ‘21). Ok, that might be a bit extreme, but Purdue’s biggest weakness is in the trenches. And when you can add guys like Gus, Ford, and Crawford you can lineup with the big boys and win. And Ox replaces Neal. And it can’t be undersold what losing Neal did to that defense. He would instantly make Purdue better. Love that. And Hornsby just adds another dimension/weapon for Brohm’s offense. A perfect compliment for Alaimo, a pure pocket passer.

Anyway, I rambled. Point of the post is that Purdue should be winding down here. A few folks may have to decomit if Purdue wants to land all of the 4 I mentioned, but I like that Brohm is being aggressive and still trying to improve.
Great write up!

if it amazing how much better our OL potential could be next year, if one or both OL would commit. Also, Hartwig is a HS AA. He is a big addition too in going to improve our OL play next year.

As far as DL, Ox has the ability to start from day one. With Austin, you have a nice young foundation to pair with Karlaftis on the inside and don’t forget Hudgins on the other end. I think if we would lose out on Ox that we still would go after Watkins. Of course, we are pursuing a Juco LB too to help in the middle.

I know Brohm thinks highly of 2021 McCulley, but I think we have to take
Hornsby if he will commit. Hornsby allows us to do things in the offense that no current QB can do on our roster. We also need to take 2 QBs in this class with depleted numbers. Sipe is retired. Sindelar should retire. Our numbers at QB went from too many to a little low. I think Alaimo could be a good one, but a dual threat just gives us another dimension for Brohm to use in his offensive schemes.

The interesting thing about finishing this 2020 class is how we are going to hit the 85 man limit, which means the coaches probably have some ideas of who might go into the transfer portal.

Reactions: 72Boiler

Good analysis. Don't forget that Oxendine would add to what is a pretty strong group of underclass defensive lineman. Deen, Johnson and Sullivan have had their moments and will just continue to get better (looking especially forward to seeing Sullivan in a couple years). Also have 4☆ recruit Faucheux redshirting this year and I look for him to be a difference maker at some point, possibly starting next season. Oxendine would compliment what Purdue already has and not have to carry the load on his own.

Great write up!

if it amazing how much better our OL potential could be next year, if one or both OL would commit. Also, Hartwig is a HS AA. He is a big addition too in going to improve our OL play next year.

As far as DL, Ox has the ability to start from day one. With Austin, you have a nice young foundation to pair with Karlaftis on the inside and don’t forget Hudgins on the other end. I think if we would lose out on Ox that we still would go after Watkins. Of course, we are pursuing a Juco LB too to help in the middle.

I know Brohm thinks highly of 2021 McCulley, but I think we have to take
Hornsby if he will commit. Hornsby allows us to do things in the offense that no current QB can do on our roster. We also need to take 2 QBs in this class with depleted numbers. Sipe is retired. Sindelar should retire. Our numbers at QB went from too many to a little low. I think Alaimo could be a good one, but a dual threat just gives us another dimension for Brohm to use in his offensive schemes.

The interesting thing about finishing this 2020 class is how we are going to hit the 85 man limit, which means the coaches probably have some ideas of who might go into the transfer portal.
Don’t under estimate FR Steven Foucheaux who has not played at DT this year

He is going to be very good. One of my business partners is Close to his family. He is very good, he had a Family health situation this year which I think caused him quite a bit of stress and a little bit of a learning curve as he was green. But he is big, he is strong and was highly rated out of high school.

Don’t under estimate FR Steven Foucheaux who has not played at DT this year

He is going to be very good. One of my business partners is Close to his family. He is very good, he had a Family health situation this year which I think caused him quite a bit of stress and a little bit of a learning curve as he was green. But he is big, he is strong and was highly rated out of high school.
I know he was a 4 star recruit. I was wondering why we had not heard more about him this year. Sorry to hear about his family health situation. I hope that has improved.

Do you think he will get into a game or two this year before the season ends?

I know he was a 4 star recruit. I was wondering why we had not heard more about him this year. Sorry to hear about his family health situation. I hope that has improved.

On top of the family thing, he had a leg injury last year, which are difficult for interior linemen to recover from.

Good question on that about getting any playing time this year. I know he is very coachable and needs to work on his footwork quite a bit. But the talent level is there and he comes from a good family

On top of the family thing, he had a leg injury last year, which are difficult for interior linemen to recover from.

9 month max recovery for any leg injury to a DL otherwise you quit on your teammates

9 month max recovery for any leg injury to a DL otherwise you quit on your teammates

Are you REALLY suggesting that Faucheux has quit on his teammates!!?!! That would be one of the most absolutely asinine comments I've seen on this board in months, even years(and that, amazingly, includes some of the inane crap from wolegib and even the iu trolls).

Are you REALLY suggesting that Faucheux has quit on his teammates!!?!! That would be one of the most absolutely asinine comments I've seen on this board in months, even years(and that, amazingly, includes some of the inane crap from wolegib and even the iu trolls).

I think the poster meant that Facheux would be doing his teammates a disservice by coming back too early from the injury.

I think the poster meant that Facheux would be doing his teammates a disservice by coming back too early from the injury.
Holdover from the premie board. He's is making fun of posters who think Neal quit on this teammates.

Reactions: Nukeboiler
Holdover from the premie board. He's is making fun of posters who think Neal quit on this teammates.

So why do so in a stream of comments about Faucheux. If a misplaced comment - dumb place for it. If an honest assessment - completely asinine.

I thought it was funny.

Okay. Would've made a hell of a lot more sense had he added "like Neal" or "as we've seen with another DL". Otherwise without benefit of seeing his posts on premium board it appears to be a shot at Faucheux. Thanks for your input though.

Okay. Would've made a hell of a lot more sense had he added "like Neal" or "as we've seen with another DL". Otherwise without benefit of seeing his posts on premium board it appears to be a shot at Faucheux. Thanks for your input though.

Where is the fun in that?

Does any of us Knucklehead posters know if Purdue extended PWO to Charlie Spegal? Serious question.
Link below seems that his recruitment is amping up.
A Cathedral / USC RB Markese Stepp gives him a great prop response. Aside from Coach Kyle Ralph vouching for Charlie, this should open some additional eyes.
https://twitter.com/charliespegal32?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

I personally believe Purdue is missing the boat on this player. Strength, speed & agility to take a hit and keep moving forward. Some of the very things we all complained about early in the season when we needed it most. Tirek might solve all those problems, however, you can never have enough talented guys securing the rock!

Reactions: SKYDOG
Does any of us Knucklehead posters know if Purdue extended PWO to Charlie Spegal? Serious question.
A Cathedral / USC RB Markese Stepp gives him a great prop response. Aside from Coach Kyle Ralph vouching for Charlie, this should open some additional eyes.
https://twitter.com/charliespegal32?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

I personally believe Purdue is missing the boat on this player. Strength, speed & agility to take a hit and keep moving forward. Some of the very things we all complained about early in the season when we needed it most. Tirek might solve all those problems, however, you can never have enough talented guys securing the rock!
He got a lot of likes on Twitter from some of the staff.. they are aware of him at least for you spegal enthusiasts.

Reactions: MilwaukeeBoilerFan

Serious question: Are you related to him or associated with some sort of grass roots promotional effort out of New Pal? This is way beyond obsession if you are just an average Purdue fan.

I think you've mentioned that before...maybe once...ugh

Serious question: Are you related to him or associated with some sort of grass roots promotional effort out of New Pal? This is way beyond obsession if you are just an average Purdue fan.
Stop with your obsession bullshit. No, I’m not related either. I see talent that you don’t. Somebody will get a gem that is more than a diamond in the rough. I’ve said Alstott / Markell Jones before and I meant every word of it. If you haven’t seen a game or even his highlights, then I can’t help you understand it any more clearly. Get of my ass!!! This is a forum for football and possible recruit candidate. Let me ask you, if Schiano were to flip Tirek Murphy for Rutgers would you still be downplaying this young man?

Oh, btw, not an average Purdue fan. Been a great fan since Jim Everett days.

Reactions: IABoiler
Stop with your obsession bullshit. No, I’m not related either. I see talent that you don’t. Somebody will get a gem that is more than a diamond in the rough. I’ve said Alstott / Markell Jones before and I meant every word of it. If you haven’t seen a game or even his highlights, then I can’t help you understand it any more clearly. Get of my ass!!! This is a forum for football and possible recruit candidate. Let me ask you, if Schiano were to flip Tirek Murphy for Rutgers would you still be downplaying this young man?
I watched the championship game versus Valpo. He was ok, probably not D1 running back top end speed or any shake to his running style. Fullback all the way, which isn’t really a feature in Brohm’s offense. If he’s a PWO fine, if not no big loss.

You have a very clear focus on this one particular player though. There has to be some kind of bias going on here. Even if we all agreed he is a P5 talent (which I don’t) you practically worship him. Have you started his fan club yet?

Reactions: pboiler18

Good gawd, he's no Alstott or Jones. And if(IF) Murphy decided to go somewhere else(again, IF) there are many, many better prospects with which to replace him than the one with which you are obsessed.

Reactions: BlkGoldHoops
You have a very clear focus on this one particular player though. There has to be some kind of bias going on here. Even if we all agreed he is a P5 talent (which I don’t) you practically worship him. Have you started his fan club yet?
Haha. I’ll let you champion that.

Good gawd, he's no Alstott or Jones. And if(IF) Murphy decided to go somewhere else(again, IF) there are many, many better prospects with which to replace him than the one with which you are obsessed.
I don’t think so. Good gawd you are such a hater.

I watched the championship game versus Valpo. He was ok, probably not D1 running back top end speed or any shake to his running style. Fullback all the way, which isn’t really a feature in Brohm’s offense. If he’s a PWO fine, if not no big loss.
Ok, breaks a tackle, switched the field and clear all players for an 80 yard TD. Yeah, just ok.

Ok, breaks a tackle, switched the field and clear all players for an 80 yard TD. Yeah, just ok.
None of that translates to the D1 level. That broken tackle might happen. Might. But he’s not running away from Big Ten linebackers much less safeties.

None of that translates to the D1 level. That broken tackle might happen. Might. But he’s not running away from Big Ten linebackers much less safeties.
Tell me ... how do you know? Seriously, how do YOU know? Truth is you know about as much as me. We are armchair coaches so don’t try to b.s. me or any others professing he couldn’t outrun Big Ten LB’s. His COACH (Kyle Ralph) says he runs a track timed 4.53 sec 40 from his track team that he runs for. I suspect they have timing devices that know better than both of us. That time will outpace a lot of Big Ten LB’s and allow him to face a secondary CB whom he’ll pound punishing hits and take some too.
For reference sake, I checked Markell Jones 40 time at NFL Pro Scout day was 4.65 and DJ Knox 40 time google search only showed high 4.5’s.
They both performed well for Purdue. Only linking Markell Jones time.
http://draftcountdown.com/player/markell-jones/

Last edited:
Saw that USC is going to retain their coach. Would believe that he opens next year with a hot seat. Wonder if that impacts the decision of Courtland Ford. He's got a December visit to Minnesota per 247.

Tell me ... how do you know? Seriously, how do YOU know? Truth is you know about as much as me. We are armchair coaches so don’t try to b.s. me or any others professing he couldn’t outrun Big Ten LB’s. His COACH (Kyle Ralph) says he runs a track timed 4.53 sec 40 from his track team that he runs for. I suspect they have timing devices that know better than both of us. That time will outpace a lot of Big Ten LB’s and allow him to face a secondary CB whom he’ll pound punishing hits and take some too.
For reference sake, I checked Markell Jones 40 time at NFL Pro Scout day was 4.65 and DJ Knox 40 time google search only showed high 4.5’s.
They both performed well for Purdue. Only linking Markell Jones time.
http://draftcountdown.com/player/markell-jones/

I will never believe the time that his coach timed him at when no one else was looking.

Reactions: FirstDownB

People thought the same about Jerry Rice when a kid used to playing in a lower division times in the high 4.6 range... ;)

Reactions: SKYDOG
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT