ADVERTISEMENT

‘20 class winding down

I do not think a 4.6 40 is required to do that.
There is the problem. You don’t think, therefore you don’t believe. My eyes saw it live in Championship game and I’ve seen the Cathedral highlights, hence, I believe. Those CB and FS players are not all slow players. A few had scholarships.

If he is a legit 4.53 then why didn’t he go to any camps this summer to prove that? New pal also claims to have kid that runs a 4.38 yet his 100 m time is 11.2. Those don’t exactly match up. I also believe Charlie Spegal is about to turn 20 , which means he may be at his ceiling.

If he is a legit 4.53 then why didn’t he go to any camps this summer to prove that? New pal also claims to have kid that runs a 4.38 yet his 100 m time is 11.2. Those don’t exactly match up. I also believe Charlie Spegal is about to turn 20 , which means he may be at his ceiling.

I have said all along they are trying to hide his actual speed. That is the only reason to not have any officially recorded times while simultaneously saying “the coach timed him at ...”

There is the problem. You don’t think, therefore you don’t believe. My eyes saw it live in Championship game and I’ve seen the Cathedral highlights, hence, I believe. Those CB and FS players are not all slow players. A few had scholarships.

You know I wasn’t gonna say this at the time because I thought it would seem like I was raining on his parade but I have seen several people say that Spegal is shown in the Cathedral highlight to pull away from every Cathedral player.

1) It was the 4th quarter of a game that was not close and I am betting many of the Cathedral players were feeling pretty defeated and not playing their quickest.

2) I actually do see a couple of Cathedral players in the video catching up to him and they run out of real estate.

This idea that Spegal is faster than every single Cathedral defender is not accurate.

Show me an official 40-time from an unbiased source. You can’t.

Tell me ... how do you know? Seriously, how do YOU know? Truth is you know about as much as me. We are armchair coaches so don’t try to b.s. me or any others professing he couldn’t outrun Big Ten LB’s. His COACH (Kyle Ralph) says he runs a track timed 4.53 sec 40 from his track team that he runs for. I suspect they have timing devices that know better than both of us. That time will outpace a lot of Big Ten LB’s and allow him to face a secondary CB whom he’ll pound punishing hits and take some too.
For reference sake, I checked Markell Jones 40 time at NFL Pro Scout day was 4.65 and DJ Knox 40 time google search only showed high 4.5’s.
They both performed well for Purdue. Only linking Markell Jones time.
http://draftcountdown.com/player/markell-jones/
You and New Pal have a serious sickness when it comes to this kid. How many posters do you want to tell you the same damn thing before you believe it? It’s 14 frickin’ days from signing day and he has no big offers. What the hell else do you need!???? Let it go Uncle Spegal and just have fun at the Ball State tailgates next year.

Reactions: IUhaterade
You and New Pal have a serious sickness when it comes to this kid. How many posters do you want to tell you the same damn thing before you believe it? It’s 14 frickin’ days from signing day and he has no big offers. What the hell else do you need!???? Let it go Uncle Spegal and just have fun at the Ball State tailgates next year.

No Ball State offer so far either.

Oxendine is 13 days away from his announcement - would like to see him pick Purdue, but he's supposedly still a Kentucky lean.

Reactions: JRowdy20
We’ll see...tick tock.

You know I wasn’t gonna say this at the time because I thought it would seem like I was raining on his parade but I have seen several people say that Spegal is shown in the Cathedral highlight to pull away from every Cathedral player.

1) It was the 4th quarter of a game that was not close and I am betting many of the Cathedral players were feeling pretty defeated and not playing their quickest.

2) I actually do see a couple of Cathedral players in the video catching up to him and they run out of real estate.

This idea that Spegal is faster than every single Cathedral defender is not accurate.

Show me an official 40-time from an unbiased source. You can’t.
Agree, Uncle Spegal here can’t show you an official 40 time.
To your other two points:
1) Jonathan Taylor racks up serious yardage in late 3rd and 4th qtrs the same way Charlie does. Teams are defeated and get sloppy in their defensive fundamental tackling.
2) They didn’t catch him either. Cathedral of all schools recruits talent since they are parochial allowing their talent base to come from a much larger radius that community schools. He plowed them. There is no denying it.
I’ve read that New Pal seems to have players moving in as well since Charlie is an import from Delta.

Last edited:
Does any of us Knucklehead posters know if Purdue extended PWO to Charlie Spegal? Serious question.
Link below seems that his recruitment is amping up.
A Cathedral / USC RB Markese Stepp gives him a great prop response. Aside from Coach Kyle Ralph vouching for Charlie, this should open some additional eyes.
https://twitter.com/charliespegal32?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

I personally believe Purdue is missing the boat on this player. Strength, speed & agility to take a hit and keep moving forward. Some of the very things we all complained about early in the season when we needed it most. Tirek might solve all those problems, however, you can never have enough talented guys securing the rock!

for the love of G-D I hope some school steps up and offers Spegal a scholarship.

*Please, Lord ... Please just make this crap go away.*

I know it will be tough to do, but I would love for Brohm to at least get Oxendine and Ford to give us immediate help where greatly needed. I know he and his staff are looking hard for contributors to step right in from day one to start or give us much needed depth. Let's just hope we can accomplish that while getting our returning players bigger and stronger.

Tell me ... how do you know? Seriously, how do YOU know? Truth is you know about as much as me. We are armchair coaches so don’t try to b.s. me or any others professing he couldn’t outrun Big Ten LB’s. His COACH (Kyle Ralph) says he runs a track timed 4.53 sec 40 from his track team that he runs for. I suspect they have timing devices that know better than both of us. That time will outpace a lot of Big Ten LB’s and allow him to face a secondary CB whom he’ll pound punishing hits and take some too.
For reference sake, I checked Markell Jones 40 time at NFL Pro Scout day was 4.65 and DJ Knox 40 time google search only showed high 4.5’s.
They both performed well for Purdue. Only linking Markell Jones time.
http://draftcountdown.com/player/markell-jones/

I don't get this.

This kid has been written about, has been all over the Friday night TV highlights, has video all over Algore's internet, has been scouted by the best (and all the rest), he is NOT a secret, yet nobody... but NOBODY (except Army and ISU) has offered the kid.

Milwaukee... maybe you've done this before and I've missed it in the endless sea of Charlie Spegal promos ... why do you think that is? I mean, aside from the really silly argument that all the recruiters and CFB head coaches see is a FB and not a RB or a LB (that's foolish). And, it's not because he hasn't been to camps.

You keep promoting him with posts like the last one, positioning him as the equivalent to an NFL RB candidate. You're like a dog with a bone: you won't let go. So, why isn't he getting the offers? He has the lowest rating a recruit can get (2 stars), is listed as the 45th ranked player in the state of Indiana (24/7Sports), yet, doesn't seem to be on the radar of programs in the Midwest that would seem to need him the most. They've ALL seen him. Over, and over, and over again. Yet... crickets. No offers.

Seriously... what are his deficiencies? The guys that get paid to evaluate players and offer (and they've ALL seen him and evaluated him) don't want to touch him. What is it about his skills and abilities that don't translate to the college game? Have I missed that?

When looking at 40 times you need to remember the significant difference between a hand held time and an automatic timing system. Hand held times always seem faster but are not accurate enough to use as an official time in recruiting.

When looking at 40 times you need to remember the significant difference between a hand held time and an automatic timing system. Hand held times always seem faster but are not accurate enough to use as an official time in recruiting.

Exactly- especially when the coach using the handheld device has an obvious bias and is probably consciously or unconsciously starting the time late. I have seen this exact thing happen many times in my lifetime so I do not want anyone telling me that a coach would never directly or indirectly falsify a time in order to attempt to help a player get recruited. It has and does happen. All it would take is one official time to shut all of is up, but they seemed to be afraid to do it... which can only mean he is slower than 4.6 or they at least fear that he will not show 4.6

Exactly- especially when the coach using the handheld device has an obvious bias and is probably consciously or unconsciously starting the time late. I have seen this exact thing happen many times in my lifetime so I do not want anyone telling me that a coach would never directly or indirectly falsify a time in order to attempt to help a player get recruited. It has and does happen. All it would take is one official time to shut all of is up, but they seemed to be afraid to do it... which can only mean he is slower than 4.6 or they at least fear that he will not show 4.6
Maybe it was a running start

Charlie Spegal is a special young man, and his parents are outstanding individuals! Met them at several 2019 spring practices in Mollenkopf and each time, Jeff Brohm or Chris Barclay always walked over at some point during the practices to speak with Charlie and his parents, so the coaching staff is aware of the family and appeared to be treating them respectfully.

I am reminded of Dan Dierking and his high school statistics. I was excited when he was recruited to Purdue, as he was "named Illinois Player of the Year by Gatorade and Chicago Sun-Times and Chicago Tribune Player of the Year as senior after rushing for 2,509 yards (8.1 average) and 37 touchdowns ... rushed for 141 yards and two touchdowns in state championship game victory over Mt. Carmel ... totaled 2,020 yards rushing and 35 touchdowns his junior year and 1,780 yards and 26 touchdowns as sophomore ... set school records for career rushing yards (6,309) and touchdowns (98)"

Dan was recruited as a legacy player; his father is Scott Dierking. Dan was a marvelous teammate for the Boilermakers finishing as a Co Captain his senior year because he played on every special team from his freshman year through his senior year, but only started 14 games as Boilermaker. I have no doubt that Charlie Spegal would be an excellent teammate for the Boilermakers, but I respect the judgement of Coach Brohm and his recruiting staff based on how they are improving the overall quality of incoming recruits.

I don't get this.

This kid has been written about, has been all over the Friday night TV highlights, has video all over Algore's internet, has been scouted by the best (and all the rest), he is NOT a secret, yet nobody... but NOBODY (except Army and ISU) has offered the kid.

Milwaukee... maybe you've done this before and I've missed it in the endless sea of Charlie Spegal promos ... why do you think that is? I mean, aside from the really silly argument that all the recruiters and CFB head coaches see is a FB and not a RB or a LB (that's foolish). And, it's not because he hasn't been to camps.

You keep promoting him with posts like the last one, positioning him as the equivalent to an NFL RB candidate. You're like a dog with a bone: you won't let go. So, why isn't he getting the offers? He has the lowest rating a recruit can get (2 stars), is listed as the 45th ranked player in the state of Indiana (24/7Sports), yet, doesn't seem to be on the radar of programs in the Midwest that would seem to need him the most. They've ALL seen him. Over, and over, and over again. Yet... crickets. No offers.

Seriously... what are his deficiencies? The guys that get paid to evaluate players and offer (and they've ALL seen him and evaluated him) don't want to touch him. What is it about his skills and abilities that don't translate to the college game? Have I missed that?

Excellent post. Waiting for the answer. I'm no recruiting expert but if his numbers are as they are, you would think at least MAC schools would be offering him. Ball State? Miami? Kent State? I can't imagine that New Pal and Milwaukee are the only people in the college football world who think this kid can be a success at the next level.

Reactions: BlkGoldHoops
Excellent post. Waiting for the answer. I'm no recruiting expert but if his numbers are as they are, you would think at least MAC schools would be offering him. Ball State? Miami? Kent State? I can't imagine that New Pal and Milwaukee are the only people in the college football world who think this kid can be a success at the next level.

Rumor has it that Indiana Wesleyan is coming after him hard.

Charlie Spegal is a special young man, and his parents are outstanding individuals! Met them at several 2019 spring practices in Mollenkopf and each time, Jeff Brohm or Chris Barclay always walked over at some point during the practices to speak with Charlie and his parents, so the coaching staff is aware of the family and appeared to be treating them respectfully.

I am reminded of Dan Dierking and his high school statistics. I was excited when he was recruited to Purdue, as he was "named Illinois Player of the Year by Gatorade and Chicago Sun-Times and Chicago Tribune Player of the Year as senior after rushing for 2,509 yards (8.1 average) and 37 touchdowns ... rushed for 141 yards and two touchdowns in state championship game victory over Mt. Carmel ... totaled 2,020 yards rushing and 35 touchdowns his junior year and 1,780 yards and 26 touchdowns as sophomore ... set school records for career rushing yards (6,309) and touchdowns (98)"

Dan was recruited as a legacy player; his father is Scott Dierking. Dan was a marvelous teammate for the Boilermakers finishing as a Co Captain his senior year because he played on every special team from his freshman year through his senior year, but only started 14 games as Boilermaker. I have no doubt that Charlie Spegal would be an excellent teammate for the Boilermakers, but I respect the judgement of Coach Brohm and his recruiting staff based on how they are improving the overall quality of incoming recruits.
Thank you for your insight. That is the first and only detailed report of interactions that I've seen. I must admit, I've not been on Knucklehead Central since early Haze Daze. I don't know where Charlie will end up, but still believe he'll be an excellent player for some team that will give him the opportunity (not PWO). There are two signing periods, and most teams will close out come Dec. 18. Most people think I'm delusional about this topic, but I still believe he is a diamond in the rough if not for Purdue, then some other team. We'll see how it plays out.

Reactions: SKYDOG
True. I also wonder if Charlie has respectfully held off smaller schools in search of the right opportunity that may or may never happen.

I can't. You may never understand...my son was D1 talent in Soccer and his Club Team kicked butt in WI time and again against 1 particular club (Bavarians) that Marquette, UWM and to a lesser degree UW-Madison would routinely scholarship some of their players. SC Waukesha beat them 3 years in a row for State Cup and not 1 young man got a scholarship from SC Waukesha. Passed over, looked over, and dissapointed.
I see the very same thing happening in this case. Markell Jones & DJ Knox didn't have the eye popping numbers nor "reported" speed, but they were our guys.
Just saying.

Reactions: buffboiler
I can't. You may never understand...my son was D1 talent in Soccer and his Club Team kicked butt in WI time and again against 1 particular club (Bavarians) that Marquette, UWM and to a lesser degree UW-Madison would routinely scholarship some of their players. SC Waukesha beat them 3 years in a row for State Cup and not 1 young man got a scholarship from SC Waukesha. Passed over, looked over, and dissapointed.
I see the very same thing happening in this case. Markell Jones & DJ Knox didn't have the eye popping numbers nor "reported" speed, but they were our guys.
Just saying.

Are you sure about that? Markell Jones had over 3,500 rushing yards and 60 TD’s in his senior season which were single season state records at the time.

Correction: Markel Jones still has the single season rushing record. His 60 TD season was actually 1 less than Darren Evans 61

Wiltfong just wrote a nice piece on him. I have never heard Ralph endorse a kid like he has Charlie.

Just saying.

There is a huge difference between recruiting for college football and soccer. Kids may be overlooked, even frequently, in soccer but the large amount of camp opportunities, college recruiting staffs and dedicated coordinators, available film, recruiting services, etc in football reduces the number of overlooked football players to a minimum. Head coaches, staffs, even recruiting services have analyzed the guy with whom you have an obsession and not seen a P5 level recruit. If he wants to walk on and try to earn a scholarship at Purdue, good luck to him. I'd support him just as I would any good student-athlete. It worked for Horvath after all.

Correction: Markel Jones still has the single season rushing record. His 60 TD season was actually 1 less than Darren Evans 61
I saw Markel in HS. He looked like Barry Sanders like against HS kids. Actually one game senior year vs New Pal in state tourney. Kid had much more speed than Charlie in HS. And to say a diamond in the rough ? This kid is almost 20 years old and one of the strongest HS kids in the nation. He’s not some under developed kid that is going to take some huge steps with some weight training. He is at his ceiling or sure close. He will one day be an almost 24 year old senior or an almost 25 year old RS senior. My big question is seriously if he had that speed , why not attend the camps in the summer and show it off ? It’s not a money thing , because his parents are loaded.

And doesn’t New Pal have 2 D1 commits in the senior class? One going to Toledo and one to MSU? Why wouldn’t they look at him , with an in already with a teammate committed?

Is that supposed to add to the Spegal lore?

There's no question he's a great HS player. None whatsoever. I doubt any other players like that have come out of NewPal, so it goes to reason...
Ralph isn’t talking about his high school career:

“I still maintain his burst out of his cuts when he goes 0 to 10 yards he’s as explosive I’ve seen anybody. Obviously there are people with more top-end speed in the 40-yard dash or 100, but that's not a football guy. You need a guy that can move laterally and then have a good vertical burst after a lateral move, and Charlie is exceptional at that. So strong and explosive. He’s second to none in that 0 to 10-yard increment.”

"He is spectacular. Whoever gets him is going to say wow we stole this kid. We absolutely stole him."

And Ralph was an all-ACC guard at UNC. He has been around some great backs.

And as already mentioned, there are seniors headed to MSU and Toledo, so it’s not like there isn’t a frame of reference.

Last edited:
I saw Markel in HS. He looked like Barry Sanders like against HS kids. Actually one game senior year vs New Pal in state tourney. Kid had much more speed than Charlie in HS.
Disagree. Saw them both multiple times and think they are comparable in terms of explosiveness thru the hole. Markell looked a lot better his junior year behind that stud O line that East had.

What else do you expect the coach to say ? He would be a total Dick if he didn’t support him publicly. New Pal’s O line is very good also. Also no one has answered why he didn’t attend camps to show off this 4.5- 4.6 speed? Markel did. And Markel wasn’t the age of an older college sophomore when he graduated from HS either.
He’s been there 6 years and has never endorsed a player this strenuously. He goes out of his way to praise the kid, and that’s just not his style.

And if you read the piece, you know why Charlies not running all over creation to run 40s all summer long.

He’s been there 6 years and has never endorsed a player this strenuously. He goes out of his way to praise the kid, and that’s just not his style.

And if you read the piece, you know why Charlies not running all over creation to run 40s all summer long.
Didn’t have to run all over. 1 camp. Just 1 camp. Post your times and move on. Call it what you want, but college coaches aren’t stupid. So rumor has it David Bell runs in the 4.6 area right now. We are to believe he is as fast, or faster than David Bell ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT