ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin v. Purdue Game Thread

Him and Edey
They came through when the Badgers were shutting down the typical scorers but take away a few bad bounces by the ball and Purdue was solid on D against Trice but their bigs shot well and with Tre struggling it made it tougher on the good guys

Not getting in anyone's bidness brother. Just pointing out as I usually do that a win is a team win and a loss is a team loss. Now, it's time to put an end to the Archie MIller/TJD show.
IU will break if Purdue comes out strong

Reactions: Zaphod_B
You might be correct on both ends. TJD needs to come back another year, I'm sure he's not hurting for money, he has a lot that he needs to improve on. Having said that, doesn't matter if he goes this year or next he's not going to be a first round pick.
Hey TJD, you chose the candy stripes and chose to play for him. Don't blame him for the stupid mistake you and your people made.

Not sure what the Sasha comment is about? The dude played solid D, had 8 assists, and had a couple of key buckets in the early going. That's not any kind of liability...

I missed the memo. We moved from targeting Wheeler to targeting Sasha on this forum.

I've got to get caught up on my email.

Wisconsin lost their legs in the last 5 minutes. We ran them to ground in an ugly game. Waves of Boilermakers just kept coming off the bench.
The depth has allowed Purdue to keep pressure on D and push the ball as needed and still supply a threat to score. About the time someone has some idea that a player doesn't belong, we find that person down the road helping. I think the refs helped turn this game into an ugly one breaking up any runs...which typically has been helpful to Purdue this year.

It appears that Purdue has enhanced the half court man pressure a bit the last few games which will be the constant Purdue needs. That said...Purdue still has to prevent falling for eye candy and understand the environment. There is a small range about the number of possessions a team gets...use them wisely. The winner of the game is not reaching a score, but being ahead when the clock runs down. The result is that clock usage AND scoring go together more often than not and smart decisions are a thing that may be under control that determines the outcome. Play hard with focus and intensity, play smart, play within yourself and be tuned in to the four guys that don't have the ball...and the results more times than not will be favorable...

the armchairs can't make up their mind on who they want to skewer. It's like before each game they need to post a guide so the rest of us can keep up.
Actually there rarely is a guide or breakdown as to the reasons why the comment from an O and D perspective as an individual and within a team. It is a feeling based upon many times a single or even couple of feelings on what happened in his or her eyes. This is nothing new, and you will find fans of every school with a myopic view at all levels. Opinions have no prerequisite of understanding to post and so just understand it happens all over and will continue to happen... :(

Here we go again...
Early in the year and since, I've typed my opinion on the overall value of the 3 ball as well as what it doesn't do. I said more often than not when Purdue is shooting 24 plus times it is not a good sign and would prefer to keep that number to no more than 18/20 with a preference of maybe 15-20 just due to the understanding that there exists a finite number of possession in a game and too much looking pretty doesn't win games...doesn't get you in bonus...doesn't punish the other team and loosen the D and definitely doesn't remove teh chess piece on the other team.

As long as the other team values a players ability to score (and can score), that player enhances offense.

Liability on the court, if he can't make 3s
Just when I thought this forum couldn't get more ridiculous. I guess you either are not watching him or didn't watch the games when he was out and the team struggled more.

He plays solid D and just having him on the court makes the opposing teams defense change. Stop being such a blockhead, come on man.

How many players have 15pt games this year? We are so deep and talented.

Seven - Trevion Williams; Sasha Stefanovic; Eric Hunter, Jr.; Jaden Ivey; Brandon Newman; Zach Edey; and Isaiah Thompson.

Mason Gillis (12) and Aaron Wheeler (11) have also been in double figures with points this year.

Depth really pays off in games like last night.

Another big game Saturday in the regular season finale with Indiana.

Here we go again...
Just when I thought this forum couldn't get more ridiculous. I guess you either are not watching him or didn't watch the games when he was out and the team struggled more.

He plays solid D and just having him on the court makes the opposing teams defense change. Stop being such a blockhead, come on man.

I was making fun of whichever poster insists Sasha sucks unless he makes shots. Wasn't really clear, my bad.

Early in the year and since, I've typed my opinion on the overall value of the 3 ball as well as what it doesn't do. I said more often than not when Purdue is shooting 24 plus times it is not a good sign and would prefer to keep that number to no more than 18/20 with a preference of maybe 15-20 just due to the understanding that there exists a finite number of possession in a game and too much looking pretty doesn't win games...doesn't get you in bonus...doesn't punish the other team and loosen the D and definitely doesn't remove teh chess piece on the other team.

As long as the other team values a players ability to score (and can score), that player enhances offense.

They've definitely gotten better at being a little wiser on shot selection from beyond the arc, TJ....IMO. 5/14 last night and several good looks that just didn't go down....a couple forced but not too bad. Sasha Stefanovic had only one attempt, and it looked like Wisconsin didn't want him to get going. CMP still wants to play inside out rather than outside in, whether it's Trevion Williams or Zach Edey down low. Big Tre is also done well lately forcing the defense to show it's hand before he gets bottled up.

Wisconsin is a good team.....they've worn down a little, but they've been ranked all year....I'd expect them to get to win a game or two in the NCAA tournament....of course, you never know how the match-ups will line up.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
They've definitely gotten better at being a little wiser on shot selection from beyond the arc, TJ....IMO. 5/14 last night and several good looks that just didn't go down....a couple forced but not too bad. Sasha Stefanovic had only one attempt, and it looked like Wisconsin didn't want him to get going. CMP still wants to play inside out rather than outside in, whether it's Trevion Williams or Zach Edey down low. Big Tre is also done well lately forcing the defense to show it's hand before he gets bottled up.

Wisconsin is a good team.....they've worn down a little, but they've been ranked all year....I'd expect them to get to win a game or two in the NCAA tournament....of course, you never know how the match-ups will line up.
No question that overall there has been growth in decision making throughout the game, but they are not there yet to take the next step and we might find teh Minny and Maryland games show up soon...which I hope is not the case. One of the biggest improvements is Jaden's probing and driving under control. Earlier he just dropped his head an went full bore..now he is reading the D a bit and seeing what is there. THAT is big. Relative to the 3 ball... 14 shots is an indicator that Purdue was in the grind and I much prefer 15-20 a game as opposed to 25-30 which has happened before. My "shot selection" is not confined to "who" and "where", but also includes "when".

When down to a single possession, consistent execution which includes all three (who,where &when) is paramount and the team that "executes" typically by those most efficient inside the guidlines of who, where and when usually determines the winner. There was a 3 ball early in the clock in the final couple of minutes that was not needed and there was a couple of passes that were thrown with too much velocity that also resulted in empty possessions.

If you are to beat the really good teams, which should be a goal, then you have to perform as mentally sound as possible. That game could have easily went the other way. That said...the youth is well ahead of the learning process, but they shouldn't be satisfied and I'm sure they are not...knowing a few things different and that game is not that close. Gotta be extremely happy with the growth of the youth in understanding the game, but the next step requires a bit more mental work since the physical is what there is at this time...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT