ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin v. Purdue Game Thread

Purdue Grad in Texas

All-American
Mar 22, 2010
Good evening, Ladies & Gentlemen. Well, it's "Back Home Again in Indiana" for the 23rd-ranked Purdue Boilermakers as they have finished off their last road trip of the regular season and close out the conference slate this week at home in Mackey Arena. And with the BTT and NCAA tournaments being conducted in Indianapolis and surrounding locales, the Boilers will likely not leave the State of Indiana for any more games this season.

Tonight's contest features the only regular-season match up with the Wisconsin Badgers, who come into Mackey Arena on a little bit of a downward trend, though they are still formidable enough and ranked 25th. Wisconsin is currently 16-9 (10-8) and in 6th place in the conference. With Ohio State's loss on Sunday, Purdue has climbed into fourth at 16-8 (11-6). The Badgers have dropped four of their last six, while the Boilers have won four of their last five. This game could shape up into a classic old-school battle as Wisconsin has enough to battle Purdue in the Paint with Nate Reuvers, Aleem Ford, and Micah Potter coming off the bench. Trevion Williams/Zach Edey and Mason Gillis/Aaron Wheeler will get a challenge on both ends of the floor....if they can stay out of early foul trouble, this match-up can favor the Boilers. Wisconsin is also quite capable if the back-court heats up from behind the arc with D'Mitric Trice and Brad Davison. Trice nearly staged a one-man comeback against Illinois scoring 19 points in the last 2+ minutes, hitting five 3-point FG's and four FT's. Purdue's Eric Hunter, Jr. is likely to get the assignment on Trice....this will be a key match-up for the Boilers to control.

Wisconsin leads the conference in scoring defense (Purdue is 4th), and both of these teams are in the lower half of the league in scoring (Wisconsin is 13th), so this could be a fairly low-scoring game. Purdue needs to limit Wisconsin's extra possessions and be efficient on offense....they'll get their opportunities. If Sasha Stefanovic, Eric Hunter, Jaden Ivey, and Brandon Newman can knock a few down from beyond the arc, that will potentially open things up on the inside for Trevion Williams. If Purdue comes out with energy and focus, and limits the avoidable mistakes, I like the Boilers' chances. This is a big game for both teams.

Scheduled tip coming up at 9:00 (Eastern time) with television coverage on ESPN2.

One final note....as many now know, Purdue lost long-time broadcaster, Larry Clisby, over the weekend. Sadly, "Cliz" can no longer be with us in person, but I'm sure he will be in spirit. Here's to many "Bullseyes" tonight and for the rest of the season in his honor.

Boiler up, my friends.

isaachayes1x18x10x05xmc.jpg

i
i

Good evening, Ladies & Gentlemen. Well, it's "Back Home Again in Indiana" for the 23rd-ranked Purdue Boilermakers as they have finished off their last road trip of the regular season and close out the conference slate this week at home in Mackey Arena. And with the BTT and NCAA tournaments being conducted in Indianapolis and surrounding locales, the Boilers will likely not leave the State of Indiana for any more games this season.

Tonight's contest features the only regular-season match up with the Wisconsin Badgers, who come into Mackey Arena on a little bit of a downward trend, though they are still formidable enough and ranked 25th. Wisconsin is currently 16-9 (10-8) and in 6th place in the conference. With Ohio State's loss on Sunday, Purdue has climbed into fourth at 16-8 (11-6). The Badgers have dropped four of their last six, while the Boilers have won four of their last five. This game could shape up into a classic old-school battle as Wisconsin has enough to battle Purdue in the Paint with Nate Reuvers, Aleem Ford, and Micah Potter coming off the bench. Trevion Williams/Zach Edey and Mason Gillis/Aaron Wheeler will get a challenge on both ends of the floor....if they can stay out of early foul trouble, this match-up can favor the Boilers. Wisconsin is also quite capable if the back-court heats up from behind the arc with D'Mitric Trice and Brad Davison. Trice nearly staged a one-man comeback against Illinois scoring 19 points in the last 2+ minutes, hitting five 3-point FG's and four FT's. Purdue's Eric Hunter, Jr. is likely to get the assignment on Trice....this will be a key match-up for the Boilers to control.

Wisconsin leads the conference in scoring defense (Purdue is 4th), and both of these teams are in the lower half of the league in scoring (Wisconsin is 13th), so this could be a fairly low-scoring game. Purdue needs to limit Wisconsin's extra possessions and be efficient on offense....they'll get their opportunities. If Sasha Stefanovic, Eric Hunter, Jaden Ivey, and Brandon Newman can knock a few down from beyond the arc, that will potentially open things up on the inside for Trevion Williams. If Purdue comes out with energy and focus, and limits the avoidable mistakes, I like the Boilers' chances. This is a big game for both teams.

Scheduled tip coming up at 9:00 (Eastern time) with television coverage on ESPN2.

One final note....as many now know, Purdue lost long-time broadcaster, Larry Clisby, over the weekend. Sadly, "Cliz" can no longer be with us in person, but I'm sure he will be in spirit. Here's to many "Bullseyes" tonight and for the rest of the season in his honor.

Boiler up, my friends.

isaachayes1x18x10x05xmc.jpg

i
i
Hope Tre has a typical game for him and the Badger bigs are cold away from the bucket. I'll be surprised if the Badger guards are enough of a factor without the Bigs shooting well.

Purdue really pushes the ball but must make good decisions with the push...no turnovers or bad shots

Looking forward to this game for several reasons, one of which is to recognize Cliz and all the great calls he spoke over the years, namely Bullseye! You could feel the joy in his voice when things were good and the pain when they went the other way. Let's win this tonight Boilers. BTFU!

But deep downn I really do think that too TJ. I just needed someone like you to reassure me. Thank you😉

Reactions: tjreese
I’m literally sitting on a plane in ATL on our way to Houston. Getting ready to push from the gate. I better be able to get WiFi on this bird

Reactions: PU pit bull
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT