ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball: Purdue 11, UIC 9

LOL. Are there basketball players on the baseball team? (Ie why is this here). Jk

LOL. Are there basketball players on the baseball team? (Ie why is this here). Jk

It's obvious that Mason Gillis played in the LLWS and Zach Edey played baseball until 16 (or w.e) and threw out the first pitch at the Cubs game the other day - that this is now a baseball forum.

And of course we are going to suck in basketball now because we lost a player who, "is just tall" so Purdue is a baseball school now.

Living in SEC country, it's unbelievable the support baseball teams get down here. Used to be a huge Cubs fan, Would much rather go watch LSU, A&M, Miss State, etc. play baseball.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
It's obvious that Mason Gillis played in the LLWS and Zach Edey played baseball until 16 (or w.e) and threw out the first pitch at the Cubs game the other day - that this is now a baseball forum.

And of course we are going to suck in basketball now because we lost a player who, "is just tall" so Purdue is a baseball school now.

Missed that on Edey, how cool.

Juuuuuuuusssst a bit outside.

charlie sheen film GIF

Living in SEC country, it's unbelievable the support baseball teams get down here. Used to be a huge Cubs fan, Would much rather go watch LSU, A&M, Miss State, etc. play baseball.
I don't think B1G baseball will ever be that big, but it's come a long way in the last 15 years. The Big Ten Network has done wonders for 2nd tier sports like baseball.

I will say this: at least the B1G competes in baseball. The SEC won't even compete in wrestling while the B1G wins national titles and teams like Iowa and Penn State sell out 15k arenas.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
I don't think B1G baseball will ever be that big, but it's come a long way in the last 15 years. The Big Ten Network has done wonders for 2nd tier sports like baseball.

I will say this: at least the B1G competes in baseball. The SEC won't even compete in wrestling while the B1G wins national titles and teams like Iowa and Penn State sell out 15k arenas.
See your point. I have been living down here for nearly 20 years and don't recall a single conversation with anyone about wrestling. We are not talking WWE, that will get them talking.

Reactions: rgarlitz

The weather makes it difficult for Big Ten teams, a few have had great runs in the tourney, doesn’t happen often. Besides Purdue I root for Indiana State, they for some reason seem to usually be very good in baseball.

Reactions: rgarlitz
It's my understanding that Big Ten baseball was fairly competitive nationally until about the mid-80s. I read somewhere that the NCAA moved the start date earlier to Feb 1--I think sometime in the 80s or 90s, but I don't remember. That's when southern teams really got a stranglehold on the sport.

Meanwhile, baseball became almost an afterthought in the B1G for about 20 years. There was a period in the early 2000s when it was regularly a one-bid league.

Then B1G schools started reinvesting with Big Ten Network money and tv coverage improved in the 2010s. I seem to recall that almost every B1G school has either renovated its baseball park or built a new one within the past 15 years. I believe there was a season when the B1G got 4 or 5 NCAA bids within the last half decade or so.

Went to a game at Miss St. earlier this year. That stadium is unreal. Better than any AAA or minor league stadium I’ve been to! Great fans and gameday atmosphere too!

They should allow northern teams to play baseball in the fall…. infinitely better weather!

It's my understanding that Big Ten baseball was fairly competitive nationally until about the mid-80s. I read somewhere that the NCAA moved the start date earlier to Feb 1--I think sometime in the 80s or 90s, but I don't remember. That's when southern teams really got a stranglehold on the sport.

Meanwhile, baseball became almost an afterthought in the B1G for about 20 years. There was a period in the early 2000s when it was regularly a one-bid league.

Then B1G schools started reinvesting with Big Ten Network money and tv coverage improved in the 2010s. I seem to recall that almost every B1G school has either renovated its baseball park or built a new one within the past 15 years. I believe there was a season when the B1G got 4 or 5 NCAA bids within the last half decade or so.
Similarly, in the early years, the west coast dominated women's volleyball. When other parts of the country decided that the sport was important, the west coast dominance ended.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT