ADVERTISEMENT

Will Robert Phinisee be the next to commit to IU.

You have entirely too much common sense for an IU fan ;).
i'm thinking this may be jim or something like that and I think we may have shared a lot of similar thoughts on education and such on the cooler years ago when I used to post over there some

He didn't want to come to Purdue. Plain and simple.

Again you are the only person who can't comprehend this.

Again, you have zero idea what you're talking about. I totally comprehend he didn't want to come to Purdue. Oh, I get it. And, that's on Painter. I realize some of you have taken this personal. With your obvious emotional outbursts because someone dare question your Lord. LOL. Sorry, he let RP get away IMO. Doubt the level of his talent.......fine. There is no answer to that question for quite a while. But, no doubt, he offered a local talent at whatever level.....and lost to a new coach miles away who is a bitter rival. Not good.

Lol these iu guys are hilarious! They grab 4 role players and are beating their chests on a teams board who is the reigning big ten champ and representing the USA currently.

Then they wonder why we call them little brother . Get a life lol

Not to mention Archie was like option e of a long list. But hey they just grabbed coach k
It's The Movement #2.

Wait. That's redundant.

Again, you have zero idea what you're talking about. I totally comprehend he didn't want to come to Purdue. Oh, I get it. And, that's on Painter. I realize some of you have taken this personal. With your obvious emotional outbursts because someone dare question your Lord. LOL. Sorry, he let RP get away IMO. Doubt the level of his talent.......fine. There is no answer to that question for quite a while. But, no doubt, he offered a local talent at whatever level.....and lost to a new coach miles away who is a bitter rival. Not good.
Deuce, I can't figure out your concerns here. Choice Beef said RP didn't want to come to Purdue. I am not following what Beef got wrong? As far as I can tell, RP indicated this preference early on, hence Painter backed off. That's is what I call "not wanting to come to Purdue".

You seem emotionally invested in this situation. I think that is why folks are giving you that "step back from the ledge" stuff. If a kid doesn't want to come to Purdue, no amount of salesmanship will change that. You have to realize that Purdue may not be the dream college/dream team that you perceive. West Laffy is not the best college town around either.

SO, regardless of how much you don't want to buy a Subaru, and it was made in your backyard, if you choose any other brand, maybe a Toyota that was made in Southern Indiana, it's the fault of the Subaru salesman that you chose not to buy a Subaru?????

i guess i'm not understanding the timeline anymore from the comments above.
so when did either purdue backed off RP or knew he was not high on Purdue to begin with?

-purdue offered january 2016
-painter was at least still visiting thru march it appears (retweeted by RP)
-RP was brought up with a similar question back in may, but gbi's report confirmed he remained a target and not aware purdue had cooled or anything.

Last edited:
my issue is that when Purdue loses out on a targeted elite player, posters always say, well, he wasn't our top priority, or the next class will be even better. This is about the 4th year in a row, people have said that, and the next class hasn't been better. And there is no guarantee those 2019 targets will sign with Purdue.

This is the year 2017, and we still have 4 scholarships to give out. I don't want those scholarships to go out to just anybody who likes Purdue. I don't want to write the class of 2018 off and say , I guarantee 2019 will be that top recruiting class. rather than shifting our focus to 2019, can we concentrate on 2018 for awhile? it's one of our bigger classes in the past decade.

Just once I'd like to see Purdue have a version of the Fab 5. We have good recruiting classes, but it would be nice to see Painter be able to recruit an elite class of 5 elite players.

and before replying, rather than comparing classes of players that were signed, I'd like you to compare the classes of the players who were targeted/offered. I'd like to land a class of 4-5 of our plan A priority targets. Painter has a great eye for talent. We need t o find a way to reel them in.

Reactions: boilersallthewaynow
my issue is that when Purdue loses out on a targeted elite player, posters always say, well, he wasn't our top priority, or the next class will be even better. This is about the 4th year in a row, people have said that, and the next class hasn't been better. And there is no guarantee those 2019 targets will sign with Purdue.

This is the year 2017, and we still have 4 scholarships to give out. I don't want those scholarships to go out to just anybody who likes Purdue. I don't want to write the class of 2018 off and say , I guarantee 2019 will be that top recruiting class. rather than shifting our focus to 2019, can we concentrate on 2018 for awhile? it's one of our bigger classes in the past decade.

Just once I'd like to see Purdue have a version of the Fab 5. We have good recruiting classes, but it would be nice to see Painter be able to recruit an elite class of 5 elite players.

and before replying, rather than comparing classes of players that were signed, I'd like you to compare the classes of the players who were targeted/offered. I'd like to land a class of 4-5 of our plan A priority targets. Painter has a great eye for talent. We need t o find a way to reel them in.

IT's F'ing August.....if it was May of 2018, then yes it would be an issue. I seem to remember a U19 Team USA guard that CMP reeled in relatively late...hmmmm.

Does it suck that these kids haven't chosen Purdue...yes. However; it isn't as if CMP is just throwing the towel in or sucking at recruiting. His way of doing things (which looking at guys like Bruce Weber; when you get away from what you do well...it'll end badly) got Purdue to a point that better recruits were truly giving Purdue a look. Right now, you are looking at the 1 & 2 positions being locked down for the next three seasons. You also have what appears to be the 5 and possibly 4 locked up as well in Taylor/Haarms at the 5 and Wheeler and Ewing along with Williams playing somewhere in there as well.

What you have are young men looking at their prospects at Purdue and seeing that they may not be good enough personally to crack that starting position for 3-4 years and being turned off by that. There really are only minutes at the 3 to go around...hence why Hunter and a few others are incredibly important.

IT's F'ing August.....if it was May of 2018, then yes it would be an issue. I seem to remember a U19 Team USA guard that CMP reeled in relatively late...hmmmm.

Does it suck that these kids haven't chosen Purdue...yes. However; it isn't as if CMP is just throwing the towel in or sucking at recruiting. His way of doing things (which looking at guys like Bruce Weber; when you get away from what you do well...it'll end badly) got Purdue to a point that better recruits were truly giving Purdue a look. Right now, you are looking at the 1 & 2 positions being locked down for the next three seasons. You also have what appears to be the 5 and possibly 4 locked up as well in Taylor/Haarms at the 5 and Wheeler and Ewing along with Williams playing somewhere in there as well.

What you have are young men looking at their prospects at Purdue and seeing that they may not be good enough personally to crack that starting position for 3-4 years and being turned off by that. There really are only minutes at the 3 to go around...hence why Hunter and a few others are incredibly important.
Bravo. That is just the best response yet to all of this garbage.

Matt must want a player and the player must want Purdue. I just don't know how much of a priority RP is for Purdue recently. I can read what is printed, but talk about him has been little I can recall for several months. STill, if I'm RP what are my thoughts about playing time...will Purdue provide the minutes? I just don't see that. Now for what its worth, I did see "ONE" game to watch Isiah Thompson at Zionsville go against the McCutcheon team. McCutcheon had more overall talent and won as expected, but I was shock in the last quarter and a few minutes of the third with Isiah's ability to stay with RP on D and being a year younger. I agree with you JohnnyDoeBoiler, but just wanted to add a bit to your comments.

RP may have a wonderful career for IU adn be a thorn in the side for Purdue, but Purdue's prospect in Isiah may be solid and it just doesn't seem to be the immediate need for purdue at this time to grab RP. It hurt a lot more to actually lose a player to the prostitutes of Louisville. ;) Wish RP well, but life goes on and Purdue will manage to just be fine.

Matt must want a player and the player must want Purdue. I just don't know how much of a priority RP is for Purdue recently. I can read what is printed, but talk about him has been little I can recall for several months. STill, if I'm RP what are my thoughts about playing time...will Purdue provide the minutes? I just don't see that. Now for what its worth, I did see "ONE" game to watch Isiah Thompson at Zionsville go against the McCutcheon team. McCutcheon had more overall talent and won as expected, but I was shock in the last quarter and a few minutes of the third with Isiah's ability to stay with RP on D and being a year younger. I agree with you JohnnyDoeBoiler, but just wanted to add a bit to your comments.

RP may have a wonderful career for IU adn be a thorn in the side for Purdue, but Purdue's prospect in Isiah may be solid and it just doesn't seem to be the immediate need for purdue at this time to grab RP. It hurt a lot more to actually lose a player to the prostitutes of Louisville. ;) Wish RP well, but life goes on and Purdue will manage to just be fine.
Painter attended 3 of RPs games in Vegas a couple of weeks ago. Why would he spend so much time at the games if he wasn't making RP a priority? We keep saying the point guard spot is locked up for years to come at Purdue, but what if it isn't? What if Eastern can't play PG at the Big Ten level? We would have no PGs on the roster after this year. IMO we have to take a PG in this class.

Painter attended 3 of RPs games in Vegas a couple of weeks ago. Why would he spend so much time at the games if he wasn't making RP a priority? We keep saying the point guard spot is locked up for years to come at Purdue, but what if it isn't? What if Eastern can't play PG at the Big Ten level? We would have no PGs on the roster after this year. IMO we have to take a PG in this class.
He didn't go to Vegas just to watch Rob - he went to watch other people we are recruiting.

Jaxson Hayes, Eric Hunter - just to name a few.

He didn't go to Vegas just to watch Rob - he went to watch other people we are recruiting.

Jaxson Hayes, Eric Hunter - just to name a few.
Obviously. I never said he only went out there to watch RP. The point I was making is that he did watch 3 of his games. That's a lot of time for someone that "Isnt a priority".

thanks.
so presumably that would be NE committing in nov 2016, coupled with watching CE thru the season. possibly even SS committing in Feb. although not as likely.

this later timeline makes a bit more sense, as painter was still visiting games and gbi discussing thru spring time... rather than the idea of knowing for a long time RP was not interested or vice versa.

oh well. at least being a local, purdue didn't have to spend as much time and money on the recruitment. and after the spring timeline, that left a few summer months to focus elsewhere.

This is so ridiculous bottom line kid didn't want to go to Purdue. Yes Matt Painter still wanted him, I doubt he didn't like Purdue. I'm sure he realised that getting playing time here with the guard situation wasn't going to be easy

Why is it so hard to admit

Why would he spend so much time at the games if he wasn't making RP a priority?.
Because that is what it means to "recruit" someone and you can look at our roster and see that his position isn't one of 'need' so no he isn't a priority.

Isn't Eastern a PG? Not the traditional little guy, but that's what makes him so appealing. If he plays up to his potential, it could be difficult to convince another PG to want to be a backup to him.

Isn't Eastern a PG? Not the traditional little guy, but that's what makes him so appealing. If he plays up to his potential, it could be difficult to convince another PG to want to be a backup to him.
Yep that is another one. Basically a PG coming in would have to essentially wait just to be a backup to Eastern.

This is so ridiculous bottom line kid didn't want to go to Purdue. Yes Matt Painter still wanted him, I doubt he didn't like Purdue. I'm sure he realised that getting playing time here with the guard situation wasn't going to be easy

Why is it so hard to admit
Agree on first part... I think Miller needed/wanted RP more than Painter did, and accordingly recruited him harder, and ultimately got a commitment from him. I don't think it was that Painter no longer liked a top-100 player, I think RP was just more interested in IU and OSU than Purdue. (if you believe recruiting rumblings - and they're sometimes trash - OSU was the next strongest school for RP). So it's not so much that Painter lost to IU on RP, but that there was somewhat of a mutual "de-prioritization" by both sides, as evidenced by Painter not going after him as hard as Miller and Holtmann.

I'm not sure I totally buy into to the playing time argument though. If you're committing to a school for 4 years, you're not going to be the only point guard on the roster the whole time. You KNOW (or would be truly stupid to not know) that there are others players who have similar skills and can play the same position as you if you don't continue to hone your craft. Unless the guy in front of you is an obvious 5* talent, the idea that you can't compete and get minutes is kind of silly. And you'd have to also believe that same obvious 5* talent that you can't beat out is going to be there for the duration of your career.

At IU, RP will have to compete with unproven PG Deonte Green and Al Durham, the former of which will be a junior when RP gets there. Here he would have to compete with Carsen, who is a more dynamic player, but somewhat unproven from the standpoint of being the primary ball-handler. He's best with the ball in his hands, but it's more so because he's as much a playmaking SG trapped in a PG's body as he is a PG. Is Eastern guaranteed to be that much harder to beat out for minutes than IU's players? Maybe, maybe not. If RP were truly afraid of competing for minutes as some think though, he'd have gone to OSU as they've got a truckload of minutes with all their roster turnover.

You are not going to see a Fab 5 here. At least I hope not. That whole thing was rife with scandal and cheating.
Even the top four programs in the country rarely, if ever, achieve that benchmark.
Painter has told the world what he is looking for and Michigans fab five doesn't fit the bill.
If your happiness depends on landing five players covering all positions at the same athletic caliber of the fab 5 and who fit the culture Painter has built, well good luck. You will be miserable.

Agree on first part... I think Miller needed/wanted RP more than Painter did, and accordingly recruited him harder, and ultimately got a commitment from him. I don't think it was that Painter no longer liked a top-100 player, I think RP was just more interested in IU and OSU than Purdue. (if you believe recruiting rumblings - and they're sometimes trash - OSU was the next strongest school for RP). So it's not so much that Painter lost to IU on RP, but that there was somewhat of a mutual "de-prioritization" by both sides, as evidenced by Painter not going after him as hard as Miller and Holtmann.

I'm not sure I totally buy into to the playing time argument though. If you're committing to a school for 4 years, you're not going to be the only point guard on the roster the whole time. You KNOW (or would be truly stupid to not know) that there are others players who have similar skills and can play the same position as you if you don't continue to hone your craft. Unless the guy in front of you is an obvious 5* talent, the idea that you can't compete and get minutes is kind of silly. And you'd have to also believe that same obvious 5* talent that you can't beat out is going to be there for the duration of your career.

At IU, RP will have to compete with unproven PG Deonte Green and Al Durham, the former of which will be a junior when RP gets there. Here he would have to compete with Carsen, who is a more dynamic player, but somewhat unproven from the standpoint of being the primary ball-handler. He's best with the ball in his hands, but it's more so because he's as much a playmaking SG trapped in a PG's body as he is a PG. Is Eastern guaranteed to be that much harder to beat out for minutes than IU's players? Maybe, maybe not. If RP were truly afraid of competing for minutes as some think though, he'd have gone to OSU as they've got a truckload of minutes with all their roster turnover.
I doubt there is a single issue, but immediate playing time is important for many. Used to...coaches would tell players they would not recruit over them and try to have a year between n players of similar ability..."IF" possible. I think playing time was a factor...location next possibly, but only RP knows the "REAL" reason(s). Bottom line Purdue is fine...whatever the reason

my thoughts differ a bit...
I don't think we will see CE as the primary PG at Purdue. I think NE will take that mantle and CE will play as a 2. Although they may become somewhat interchangeable by CE's senior year, especially if NE adds a three to his arsenal but he is the PG of the future. Hopefully IT comes in and becomes the backup for both until CE leaves.

I don't think anyone was recruiting RP to come in and start right away. I think RP is going to be a backup for his first few years in college no matter what. IU is still recruiting other PGs in this class even with the RP commitment. They also believe Devonte Green will be the starter at PG after this year unless they get Darius Garland or Dort.

I don't think anyone was recruiting RP to come in and start right away. I think RP is going to be a backup for his first few years in college no matter what. IU is still recruiting other PGs in this class even with the RP commitment. They also believe Devonte Green will be the starter at PG after this year unless they get Darius Garland or Dort.
I will need to find the article again, but the one here in Fort Wayne contradicts what you are saying. The people you list aren't true PGs and RP was recruited to come in and play essentially right away. I am paraphrasing, but that is the premise of that article.

I will need to find the article again, but the one here in Fort Wayne contradicts what you are saying. The people you list aren't true PGs and RP was recruited to come in and play essentially right away. I am paraphrasing, but that is the premise of that article.
Darius Garland is the #1 rated PG in 2018. Dort is listed as a SG, but IU is recruiting him to play PG (Similar to Purdue recruiting Eastern to play PG even though he was listed as SF). Everything I have heard (I have IU premium board access as well as Purdue premium board access) indicates Phinisee was recruited as a backup for the 1st few years.

Darius Garland is the #1 rated PG in 2018. Dort is listed as a SG, but IU is recruiting him to play PG (Similar to Purdue recruiting Eastern to play PG even though he was listed as SF). Everything I have heard (I have IU premium board access as well as Purdue premium board access) indicates Phinisee was recruited as a backup for the 1st few years.

http://www.news-sentinel.com/sports...ing_on_recruiting_trail_20170821&profile=1013

Pay attention to 'Phinisee told reporters after his commitment Saturday that Miller and IU assistant Bruiser Flint texted him two or three times a week and told him he was one of the most important parts of the class because of the need for a point guard.'

Sorry but what you have heard appears to be incorrect.

http://www.news-sentinel.com/sports...ing_on_recruiting_trail_20170821&profile=1013

Pay attention to 'Phinisee told reporters after his commitment Saturday that Miller and IU assistant Bruiser Flint texted him two or three times a week and told him he was one of the most important parts of the class because of the need for a point guard.'

Sorry but what you have heard appears to be incorrect.
No where in that statement does it say they want him to be the starting PG right away. Of course they need a PG for next year, because Green will need a backup if they can't get Garland or Dort. The same reason Purdue needs a PG in this class, because Eastern will need a backup.

No where in that statement does it say they want him to be the starting PG right away. Of course they need a PG for next year, because Green will need a backup if they can't get Garland or Dort. The same reason Purdue needs a PG in this class, because Eastern will need a backup.
Again you are not correct, it clearly implies that he will be or at the very least first off the bench, not third like here. Duke is probably going to land the #1 PG which means RP will have even more of a chance to play sooner rather than later. The situation is vastly different than ours because unlike IU and the article and our own roster show that.

They may be recruiting those 2, but your logic is a little upside down. If he's only a backup because of uncommitted guys who MAY be on the team IF they committ, then I would say he's not the backup until such time.

p.s. I also know people with IU premium accounts... and they are pretty confident neither of those 2 guys are an IU lean (Garland going to Duke or Vandy, Dort likely staying east).

Again you are not correct, it clearly implies that he will be or at the very least first off the bench, not third like here. Duke is probably going to land the #1 PG which means RP will have even more of a chance to play sooner rather than later. The situation is vastly different than ours because unlike IU and the article and our own roster show that.
I suppose it's open to your interpretation, but nothing about that line suggests he will be a starter to me. As for the situations being a lot different, again I disagree. Looking at the PG and SG spots for Purdue and IU that year with RP on either team they look like this (right now).

For Purdue:

Eastern/RP
Carsen/Cline/Sasha

For IU:

Green/RP
Jones/Andersen/Durham

Either way RP is first off the bench at the PG spot. Before you spew off that CE will be the "backup" PG, think about how thin that back court would be.

They may be recruiting those 2, but your logic is a little upside down. If he's only a backup because of uncommitted guys who MAY be on the team IF they committ, then I would say he's not the backup until such time.

p.s. I also know people with IU premium accounts... and they are pretty confident neither of those 2 guys are an IU lean (Garland going to Duke or Vandy, Dort likely staying east).
I agree, they are not IU leans. I also said Devonte Green would be the starter if neither of them committed. RP will currently be the backup. A commitment from either of those two would push him to third string.

Before you spew off that CE will be the "backup" PG, think about how thin that back court would be.
CE ran the point against UAE just fine, so no it wouldn't be thin it appears that it would work immensely. Then you throw in what Statey said and your entire argument is essentially negated.

Sorry, RP wasn't a 'need' for us, he would of been a 'nice to have' and he will get much more playing time at IU. Period.

A commitment from either of those two would push him to third string.
Which would then make him in a similar situation like here and could force a transfer if that all were to fall in place. Since like here, he wouldn't see the floor much.

CE ran the point against UAE just fine, so no it wouldn't be thin it appears that it would work immensely. Then you throw in what Statey said and your entire argument is essentially negated.

Sorry, RP wasn't a 'need' for us, he would of been a 'nice to have' and he will get much more playing time at IU. Period.
Agree to disagree. I believe Purdue still needs a PG in this class. RP would be the backup at either IU or Purdue with current commits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT