ADVERTISEMENT

Where does Purdue sit with Rob Phinesse?

While it's nice to have a home town star play for a team, I've never really known Painter to recruit a player based on their home town or high school. I believe he follows certain AAU teams as much as he does high schools. Painter recruited JJJ hard. and he recruits La Lum hard, and he signed Sasha, but I don't see him limiting himself or his program to just Indiana basketball players.

Will Painter make signing Phinisee a top priority? Or will he treat him like Sasha and make an offer if he has an extra one to give? I don't know. it's always nice to have a commitment from a top 150 recruit. Painter has already given out a lot of offers. At what time do you expect to start seeing player verbal commitments ?
He does not do too well with LaLu

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Painter recruits La Lum hard,

Really, he does? I did not know that....can't think of too many LL players that were not already recruited prior to their stop @ LL that we have added?

just inquiring....as I thought just the opposite of what you said...

He does not do too well with LaLu

I've noticed that lately. But he keeps on trying. Perhaps if the players he did sign from La lum had better experiences/results at Purdue, Painter would have better results recruiting players from La Lum. Weren't Smotherman and Marcelious(sp) both from La Lum?

I've noticed that lately. But he keeps on trying. Perhaps if the players he did sign from La lum had better experiences/results at Purdue, Painter would have better results recruiting players from La Lum. Weren't Smotherman and Marcelious(sp) both from La Lum?
Lol. His players from LaLu have had a fin experience here. He doesn't do well there because the staff doesn't really like him.

Ray Davis went to LaLu. So did Jay Simpson. You were right on Sandi, who had a fine time at Purdue.

Smotherman went to Heritage Christian and Lawrence North.

You can't tell me Painter hasn't recruited la lum hard. He recruited Epperson hard last year as well as JJJ . he didn't just stop recruiting JJJ when he transferred to la lum. Painter has recruited a lot of other players that attended la lum. he's just not had a very good success rate.

and the statement about not adding/recruiting somebody prior to their stop at La la land is misleading as Painter recruits many players early as freshmen/sophomores, and very few players start out their high school with the idea of going to la lum for their entire high school. Most players go to la lum for one thing - to get a Div 1 basketball scholarship .

Painter recruits la lum hard. but there just seems to be something/somebody at la lum that continues to steer their players away from Painter. I have a belief if several players didn't attend la lum, they would have signed with Purdue.

You can't tell me Painter hasn't recruited la lum hard. He recruited Epperson hard last year as well as JJJ . he didn't just stop recruiting JJJ when he transferred to la lum. Painter has recruited a lot of other players that attended la lum. he's just not had a very good success rate.

and the statement about not adding/recruiting somebody prior to their stop at La la land is misleading as Painter recruits many players early as freshmen/sophomores, and very few players start out their high school with the idea of going to la lum for their entire high school. Most players go to la lum for one thing - to get a Div 1 basketball scholarship .

Painter recruits la lum hard. but there just seems to be something/somebody at la lum that continues to steer their players away from Painter. I have a belief if several players didn't attend la lum, they would have signed with Purdue.
No one is saying he doesn't recruit them hard.

They don't really steer people away, they just don't try to help Purdue but help other programs.

You can't tell me Painter hasn't recruited la lum hard. .
Don't think anyone is saying that. They are saying his recent success hasn't been good.

Quad said earlier the staff doesn't like/care for Painter.

Lutz seemed to have success with getting Epperson to Creighton so maybe he will be the lead on getting players there in the future.

Let's word it a different way. I have to believe Painter attends as many la lum games as he does any Indiana high school games. and he has recruited and offered players who have attended La lum as much as he has recruited players from other schools. Each year, there is somebody at la lu that has received an offer from Painter. Can any other high school in Indiana make that same claim that they have at least one player every year to receive an offer from Painter ? the players at la la lum know Painter will try recruiting them and watch them play. To me, that fits the definition of recruiting a school hard.

Reactions: tjreese
it sure seemed like boiler buck just did. Maybe I misinterpreted his reply.
I won't speak for Buck but don't think he was saying we haven't tried - it is our success rate has been low.

I am sure Painter and staff attend a lot of their games and tries his best but if the staff doesn't like you - it is hard to get in with the players. Similar to dating a girl if the dad doesn't like you.

I won't speak for Buck but don't think he was saying we haven't tried - it is our success rate has been low.

I am sure Painter and staff attend a lot of their games and tries his best but if the staff doesn't like you - it is hard to get in with the players. Similar to dating a girl if the dad doesn't like you.
I thought La Lu was full of Domers and IU people. Kind of figures why they don't help Painter.

Yes, I don't think Painter recruits LaLu hard at all. This is no slight at Painter. CMP is famous for time management and placing his time where results are most efficient--this is not been LaLu as of late and results show evidence for what I am saying. Only LaLu's that played @ Purdue were recruited by CMP prior to attending LaLu......perhaps with one exception.

BTW--this thread has awhile to reach the 372 post count for one thread recorded during the Kansas game. :)

Got it. Thought that might be the case.

So in that case @boiler-deuce, the comparable number is 67, which is what Eastern is on 247.

Got it. I guess we need to consider rankings to be more opinion based as much as the importance of landing a prospect per individual posters here. We can go back and forth on who thinks who the priority needs to be. I've got my opinion, stand by it still, as well as those who disagreed. I accept the position of minority. You know I still think I'm right. LOL. The thing is, in all likelihood, we'll never know who was truly right. Any commentary would be built on "coulda, woulda, shoulda" scenarios that never take place. But, it's fun having a spirited but respectful debate about it. Cough, cough, he's a must get, cough cough. :)

I believe we can agree Painter's success recruiting players at La lum has not been good. But, as speculated above, if Phinisee were to go a prep school next year, and if it were la lum, Painter would still follow and recruit him.

Got it. I guess we need to consider rankings to be more opinion based as much as the importance of landing a prospect per individual posters here. We can go back and forth on who thinks who the priority needs to be. I've got my opinion, stand by it still, as well as those who disagreed. I accept the position of minority. You know I still think I'm right. LOL. The thing is, in all likelihood, we'll never know who was truly right. Any commentary would be built on "coulda, woulda, shoulda" scenarios that never take place. But, it's fun having a spirited but respectful debate about it. Cough, cough, he's a must get, cough cough. :)

I'll will agree phinisee is a must get if you agree we need to also add a dominant big man to our recruiting class like Shaq or Dwight Howard. I don't want a recruiting class of Hunter, Romeo, Carmody, Phinisee and some grad transfer. I want to see some big men, and some actual 6'8 Sf added rather than making 6'4 and 6'5 guards play forward. I want to see a replacement for Haas and biggie not named taylor. I have nothing for or against Phinisee, but I do believe Painter's current 2018 targets are very guard oriented.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I'll will agree phinisee is a must get if you agree we need to also add a dominant big man to our recruiting class like Shaq or Dwight Howard. I don't want a recruiting class of Hunter, Romeo, Carmody, Phinisee and some grad transfer. I want to see some big men, and some actual 6'8 Sf added rather than making 6'4 and 6'5 guards play forward. I want to see a replacement for Haas and biggie not named taylor. I have nothing for or against Phinisee, but I do believe Painter's current 2018 targets are very guard oriented.
Umm, we'd all take Hunter, Romeo, Carmody, and Phinisee in a second. I could be the grad transfer and that would still be a top 5 class.

Oh absolutely!! Remember the Keady years? Could not land the bug guy. Well, Matt Ten Dam. LOL!! But, but....he's a black belt in Karate!!

Umm, we'd all take Hunter, Romeo, Carmody, and Phinisee in a second. I could be the grad transfer and that would still be a top 5 class.

I can agree that would be a top 5 class! However, I would never want to see an entire class made up of 4 top 150 guards! Now if they were 4 top 100 big men , I'd be ecstatic! And yes, I remember Matt Von Dunk as he was so labeled.

I can agree that would be a top 5 class! However, I would never want to see an entire class made up of 4 top 150 guards! Now if they were 4 top 100 big men , I'd be ecstatic! And yes, I remember Matt Von Dunk as he was so labeled.

Last time I checked college is a guards game. That would be an awesome class. CMP plays 3 guards alot.....hss played 4 guards too at times.

By 2018 you have at least Haarms, Wheeler, Ewing to play as well as Eastern who is a versatile 6-6 so as long as you add a 6-8+ grad transfer for depth you are good to go.

Not ideal as far as roster balance for sure.....but as far as talent.......put Romeo with anybody = flat out awesome.

Reactions: atmafola
Think about it! You already have C Edwards and Eastern. No way do you want your 2018 class to be 4 more elite guards no matter how good they are. Because there will just not be enough playing time for 6 guards, and it will be like Hummel and Martin dilemma and you will see 2-3 transfer out. And when sobidyleaves, you rarely replace them with a player of equal talent!

Seriously? Russell Cross, Scheffler, both of them, Mel McCants, Brad Miller, Matt Keifer were all pretty darn good.

I'll give you Cross. Scheffler only emerged his Senior year. McCants wasn't a center and Miller had a much better NBA career than college. I'll never forget his last "Bloody" game as a boiler. I still hate Stanford.... and Keifer? Wow, that's a low bar. LOL. I think we're talking about much better talent than those you listed. And some weren't even Centers. LOL

Think about it! You already have C Edwards and Eastern. No way do you want your 2018 class to be 4 more elite guards no matter how good they are. Because there will just not be enough playing time for 6 guards, and it will be like Hummel and Martin dilemma and you will see 2-3 transfer out. And when sobidyleaves, you rarely replace them with a player of equal talent!
We're not going to get 4 top 150 guards. You can relax!
Painter is well aware of who he needs.

We're not going to get 4 top 150 guards. You can relax!
Painter is well aware of who he needs.

That's why some people are more interested in Carmody who is big enough to play 1-3. Hunter is good/big enough to play 1-2. Then grab a wing and a big man and there you go. Class complete. Keep in mind, if we have a chance at Langford, he is ideal, but realistically it would be an huge shock if we land the best SG in the nation and the third best overall player. He is a program changer. If he went somewhere other than the typical blue bloods, he could carry them. He is just that good. Would make Purdue a top 5 team easy, but I would still target the other guards because he is a sure fire one and done barring injury.

That's why some people are more interested in Carmody who is big enough to play 1-3. Hunter is good/big enough to play 1-2. Then grab a wing and a big man and there you go. Class complete. Keep in mind, if we have a chance at Langford, he is ideal, but realistically it would be an huge shock if we land the best SG in the nation and the third best overall player. He is a program changer. If he went somewhere other than the typical blue bloods, he could carry them. He is just that good. Would make Purdue a top 5 team easy, but I would still target the other guards because he is a sure fire one and done barring injury.
We are in good shape with several guys. I think Lutz will give us a nice boost and a fresh set of eyes with our recruiting.....as well as put us on some new kids (Bieniemy).
Lots going on the next few weeks, the staff is going to be very busy. Can't get too up or down with this stuff, just have to see how things play out.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
A coach I know and have talked to raves about Eastern calling him elite. This is the same coach that says Purdue hasn't recruited an

You don't want a class of Hunter, Romeo, Carmondy and Phinisee? Are you stupid? Any clas that includes Romeo will be our best ever under Painter. He might end up being the #1 player in the country!!!!!

A coach I know and have talked to raves about Eastern calling him elite. This is the same coach that says Purdue hasn't recruited an

You don't want a class of Hunter, Romeo, Carmondy and Phinisee? Are you stupid? Any clas that includes Romeo will be our best ever under Painter. He might end up being the #1 player in the country!!!!!

I'm not stupid. Please read and comprehend my post. it would be stupid if our 2018 class was totally comprised of Romeo, Hunter, Phinisee and Carmody as we already have Eastern and Edwards as guards, and we don't need to add 4 more elite guards to our current mix. if we signed all 4 of those players, the likelihood is 2-3 of them would transfer after one year.

it would be smart if we signed maybe 1-2 of those players along with a wing and post player. it would be stupid to sign all of them.

An eight-page thread on Rob Phinisee? Really? Solid player, but let's stop acting like this is Caleb Swanigan here. We're in on several guards at or above the ability of Phinisee. Not a big deal if he goes elsewhere. Heck, half of you guys complaining about the possibility of not getting him would create a new account the day he committed to Purdue and throw a hissy fit about how we recruited a small 3* guard who can't shoot.

An eight-page thread on Rob Phinisee? Really? Solid player, but let's stop acting like this is Caleb Swanigan here. We're in on several guards at or above the ability of Phinisee. Not a big deal if he goes elsewhere. Heck, half of you guys complaining about the possibility of not getting him would create a new account the day he committed to Purdue and throw a hissy fit about how we recruited a small 3* guard who can't shoot.

For me the problem is not landing Phinisee per say, the problem is not landing any of the 6, or only 1 of the 6 guards mentioned above. That has happened before as recently as 2017 when all the original CMP recruits except Eastern went elsewhere.

Now no doubt CMP will get some nice players that just might turn out OK. But it would be nice to land a higher % of plan A offers as there is a higher probability of success with the plan A offers. I hope we trend in that direction as CMP works with his new staff.

Now no doubt CMP will get some nice players that just might turn out OK. But it would be nice to land a higher % of plan A offers as there is a higher probability of success with the plan A offers. I hope we trend in that direction as CMP works with his new staff.
Yeah, darn those kids for making their own choice on where they want to go to college. CMP should learn to do hypnosis so he can force them to come to Purdue.

I'm not stupid. Please read and comprehend my post. it would be stupid if our 2018 class was totally comprised of Romeo, Hunter, Phinisee and Carmody as we already have Eastern and Edwards as guards, and we don't need to add 4 more elite guards to our current mix. if we signed all 4 of those players, the likelihood is 2-3 of them would transfer after one year.

it would be smart if we signed maybe 1-2 of those players along with a wing and post player. it would be stupid to sign all of them.

My ideal lineup for '18 would be Carsen, Eastern, Langford, Wheeler, Brooks. Bring in Carmody, Phinisee (or Hunter), Cline, Haarms, and Ewing off the bench.

If Purdue signs Langford, Purdue should still sign two other guards. Langford is a one year rental and he has the size to guard 1-3. Once Cline leaves, the only scholarship guards on the roster would be Eastern, Carsen, and Sasha. Eastern has the size to allow us to play two smaller guards and have him guard the three. Carmody has some size and would allow that 3 guard look as well since he can guard the 3. If you view them as potential 3's, Painter could sign one other guard with Carmody in '18, and still target Campbell, Francis, Thompson in '19. I don't mind Painter targeting four guards as a priority, because Purdue needs to land 1-2. I don't think anybody is saying we should land all three, but it is important to treat them all as top priority until Purdue gets atleast one to commit (and based on versatility Carmody would be my preference at who Purdue lands first.)

It is also important to mention that Purdue's guard play has been vastly considered the weakest link for the past few years. We have Carsen and Eastern, but it is important that there is a very good backup behind them. Not to mention if they are good enough they could play 3 guards based on the size of Eastern and some of the other targets. Other than Eastern, nobody else was a long term target. Painter will find some wings and big men to mix in.

Yeah, darn those kids for making their own choice on where they want to go to college. CMP should learn to do hypnosis so he can force them to come to Purdue.

Well I don't know about hypnosis, but an objective look @ CMP's recruiting would bear out what I am saying.

Well I don't know about hypnosis, but an objective look @ CMP's recruiting would bear out what I am saying.
I am looking at his recruiting objectively. He most certainly does all he can to get a player here, but in the end it is that player that makes the decision on where he wants to go, not the coach.

I am looking at his recruiting objectively. He most certainly does all he can to get a player here, but in the end it is that player that makes the decision on where he wants to go, not the coach.

Well within his current skill set that is true regarding CMP's effort.

However, I am simply looking at CMP's recruiting success vs. say Xavier, Virginia, MN, MD, Arkansas, OK, Miss. State, etc. -- coaches in CMP's relative tier group. While I will take CMP as an X's and O's guy anyday....his recruiting, while certainly getting better, always has been lacking vs. his peer group.

To say he could not use improvement in recruiting his own plan A guys, and just saying it is the kid's choice.....is looking at it with Black and Gold glasses.

(I never know why statements that say a guy is getting better, and tries hard, but could sure improve, bothers some posters?)

To say he could not use improvement in recruiting his own plan A guys, and just saying it is the kid's choice.....is looking at it with Black and Gold glasses.
No it isn't it's looking at it realistically. Are there things CMP can do better? I am sure, but that still doesn't change the fact that in the end, the player makes the decision.

People on here like to act like just because CMP walks in to a room every recruit should be begging him to take them. That just isn't going to happen here at Purdue. But every account that is ever told about CMP and his recruiting is that he is honest, upfront and professional with recruits but yet recruits choose other places to go. Now I know the common narrative is to 'blame' Painter for that recruit deciding to go elsewhere, but the reality is the player makes the ultimate choice on where to go. Not the coach. Period. And the reasons a recruit chooses one school over another could be anything from he wants to play for Coach K or his girlfriend goes to that other school.

We aren't going to get every recruit and the reason they don't come here has less to do with CMP than the narrative likes to think.

No it isn't it's looking at it realistically. Are there things CMP can do better? I am sure, but that still doesn't change the fact that in the end, the player makes the decision.

People on here like to act like just because CMP walks in to a room every recruit should be begging him to take them. That just isn't going to happen here at Purdue. But every account that is ever told about CMP and his recruiting is that he is honest, upfront and professional with recruits but yet recruits choose other places to go. Now I know the common narrative is to 'blame' Painter for that recruit deciding to go elsewhere, but the reality is the player makes the ultimate choice on where to go. Not the coach. Period. And the reasons a recruit chooses one school over another could be anything from he wants to play for Coach K or his girlfriend goes to that other school.

We aren't going to get every recruit and the reason they don't come here has less to do with CMP than the narrative likes to think.[/QUOTE]

Could you list the reasons a kid chooses a school in order of importance? Would be interested to see where you place "coach" on your list.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT