ADVERTISEMENT

Where does Purdue sit with Rob Phinesse?

I think Purdue would love to have him but with Boogie and Eastern, not sure that position looks so attractive for a kid who wants to starts and play often.

If he can buy into the team concept he may be a possibility, but will need to understand it may be his sophomore year before major minutes come his way.

Not sure a kid of his level will buy into that......

Plus IMO I think he wants to go out of state.....maybe Virginia.

Reactions: samcboiler
He is a priority but if he chooses to go elsewhere I am sure there will be the naysayers that say:
1. He isn't that good anyway
2. CMP is an idiot for just letting him get away from campus
3. CMP didn't recruit him in the first place

I think we can safely say there is interest in him. I just don't like saying such and such player is a "high" priority unless we've heard that from somewhere official or actions have made that obvious. People will take that and run with it.

He may well be a high priority. I don't know. I just don't recall ever reading that or that we are staking out his high school tennis matches like back when we were recruiting Gordon Hayward. Actions like that speak just as loud as words but I haven't seen reports suggesting that type of elevated recruiting attention either.

Reactions: euchre13
I think Purdue would love to have him but with Boogie and Eastern, not sure that position looks so attractive for a kid who wants to starts and play often.

If he can buy into the team concept he may be a possibility, but will need to understand it may be his sophomore year before major minutes come his way.

Not sure a kid of his level will buy into that......

Plus IMO I think he wants to go out of state.....maybe Virginia.

I can agree on the wanting to start part and likely not starting over Eastern or CE unless Eastern plays the 3. Truth is we still will have lots of minutes available at the guard position. It would be a stretch to expect even 30 minutes apiece from Eastern or CE. More likely in the 25-28 range and that leaves nearly 25 to 30 minutes for other guards. We easily have room to take on another ball handling PG especially if Eastern is capable of playing the 3. I can see him going to IU then being somewhat recruited over if they are able to get any of their top end guards they will be targeting.

Has anyone here seen him play? He looks to be good but not great from the brief video clips I've seen online - which are really difficult to use for assessing a player

Priorities can be judged by where Painter spends his & his staff's time. They have spent time attending his games & I am sure based on game visits they go beyond this & they have done their recruitment due diligence, etc.

So yes, apparently he is for CMP a priority.

Has anyone here seen him play? He looks to be good but not great from the brief video clips I've seen online - which are really difficult to use for assessing a player

I have not. Read some. Good athlete, driver and slasher. Needs work on outside game?

Seems like someone went to a game of his recently and posted some on him. Don't know if that was OB52 or someone else...but thought it was someone else.

Priorities can be judged by where Painter spends his & his staff's time. They have spent time attending his games & I am sure based on game visits they go beyond this & they have done their recruitment due diligence, etc.

A priority and a "high priority" are different things. No doubt there's interest there. He's not the only player they've gone to watch and I'm not aware that he has or hasn't spent more time watching him as opposed to another recruit like Damezi Anderson. To me, suggesting someone is a high priority means that we are targeting that player above other recruits and I'm simply wondering if we know that to be the case here or not. I haven't seen any evidence of such but there could certainly be things out there that indicate a higher level of interest in him that I'm not aware of and that's all I'm asking here.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
He is a priority but if he chooses to go elsewhere I am sure there will be the naysayers that say:
1. He isn't that good anyway
2. CMP is an idiot for just letting him get away from campus
3. CMP didn't recruit him in the first place

Purdue is also after Hunter and Carmody. Phinisee is a smaller guard and doesn't have elite speed. Hunter is the best guard prospect in that class. Carmody would be a great fit as well. If we miss on Phinisee but we get Carmody and/or Hunter, it won't be a big miss.

I thought Isiah Thompson was a bigger priority. But no inside info; I thought I read it here.

Thompson is in the '19 class with Campbell and Francis (who will likely be making a choice soon. His father went to OSU and his stock is rising. Signing Purdue this early wouldn't make that much sense for him, so I am guessing OSU. Francis is a big athletic guard who will be very good. Would be nice to lock him up early.

He is in our backyard. Costs next to nothing to visit him. So he may be getting more attention that others. It wouldn't necessarily mean he is a higher priority. He will be a very good PG, but he is a little on the short side.

Reactions: nagemj02
I hope Painter doesn't land Carmody. Did CMP not watch the game against Kansas? Purdue has had plenty of slow-footed guards in its history and during Painter's tenure. He doesn't need to add yet another one.

Reactions: skfboiler
One time, but really wanted to see Isiah Thompson. Let's just say in the single game I saw he didn't leave me as impressed as I was when I saw Chris Thomas as a freshman go toe to toe with Jason Garner as a senior. He obviously is good, but if he were not in the backyard...would he get as much attention...I don't know. I know Old Boiler is pretty high on him and has seen him several times. I also know I talked to the Phil Cox at Applebees when he was a freshman and he thought he would be a D1 player in a few years. I guess, I'm not convinced he is a great get, but I also admit I haven't really seen him but ONE game

I hope Painter doesn't land Carmody. Did CMP not watch the game against Kansas? Purdue has had plenty of slow-footed guards in its history and during Painter's tenure. He doesn't need to add yet another one.

Carmody is white, but he isn't "slow footed". He is a top 100 prospect and has been dunking since he was a freshman. He is 6'4 and is a more athletic version of Dakota. Mixing a player like him in with Eastern, Wheeler, And Edwards going forward would be a great fit. He will be a very nice player going forward. Purdue doesn't need a team with nothing but elite athletes. Purdue needs shooters and players with high basketball IQ. Purdue also needs players that fit the system. My order of preference on 2018 guards would be Hunter, Carmody, and then Phinisee. Would like to see us get 1-2 of that group and I would consider it a win. Butler is after all three as well.

Carmody is white, but he isn't "slow footed". He is a top 100 prospect and has been dunking since he was a freshman. He is 6'4 and is a more athletic version of Dakota. Mixing a player like him in with Eastern, Wheeler, And Edwards going forward would be a great fit. He will be a very nice player going forward. Purdue doesn't need a team with nothing but elite athletes. Purdue needs shooters and players with high basketball IQ. Purdue also needs players that fit the system. My order of preference on 2018 guards would be Hunter, Carmody, and then Phinisee. Would like to see us get 1-2 of that group and I would consider it a win. Butler is after all three as well.
Carmody had a lot of good schools after him if I recall. Phinisee is more PG than the other two I think...but I like the other two better off video and who is recruiting them.

You should use YouTube and watch Carmody and his slowness.

Sometimes I'm not sure if you just enjoy trolling or are stupid - no offense

Just because he can dunk doesn't make him an above-average athlete. Who looks more athletic between him and former Boilermaker guard Chris Kramer?

Lol, oh, of course, no offense! That's like if I said to you, "ChoiceBeef is a stupid name for a screen name, no offense."

Last edited:
Just because he can dunk doesn't make him an above-average athlete. Who looks more athletic between him and former Boilermaker guard Chris Kramer?

Lol, oh, of course, no offense! That's like if I said to you, "ChoiceBeef is a stupid name for a screen name, no offense."
To answer your question, are you talking about Kramer as a senior and DPOY in the Big Ten or the kid we recruited out of high school? If it is the later, Carmody is the correct answer.

I'm sure you feel the opposite because Nag knows all. The most elite couch recruiter in the country. The likes of Coach K, Cal and Izzo are banging on your door to help them evaluate recruits.

No offense is in the Geneva Convention - look it up

To answer your question, are you talking about Kramer as a senior and DPOY in the Big Ten or the kid we recruited out of high school? If it is the later, Carmody is the correct answer.

I'm sure you feel the opposite because Nag knows all. The most elite couch recruiter in the country. The likes of Coach K, Cal and Izzo are banging on your door to help them evaluate recruits.

No offense is in the Geneva Convention - look it up

Kramer was as athletic coming into Purdue as he was leaving Purdue. So, the answer is Kramer.

Carmody had a lot of good schools after him if I recall. Phinisee is more PG than the other two I think...but I like the other two better off video and who is recruiting them.

Carmody can drive with his left and right hand. He can also can finish at the rim with his left or right hand. His ball handeling was just as impressive going left as it was right. I really hope we get Carmody. I think we could use 1-2 guards in the '18 class and I am pulling for Hunter and Carmody. Both are more scoring guards than true point guards, but I like the size and athleticism they both bring. The extra offense is nice and they are both arhletic enough to guard multiple positions and switch without causing huge mismatches.

From what I have seen lately is players that are early IDed as prospects we might want usually go elsewhere. Look @ the 17 class. Other than Eastern, the class we ended up with isn't the one CMP was after early on.

I like Hunter but I wouldn't be disappointed if we got Carmody. He seems fast and athletic enough. I don't understand where this "slow-footed" criticism comes from.

Watched the videos and I see plenty of foot speed there, plus some crafty ball handling. I think he would be a good recruit. I don't get Nag's post about lack of speed, but then again,... (no offense). :cool:

Last edited:
Watched the videos and I see plenty of foot speed there, plus some crafty ball handling. I think he would be a good recruit. I don't get Beef's post about lack of speed, but then again, it is Beef (no offense). :cool:
Pardon? That was Nag who said he is slow footed and unathletic.

I'm a fan of Carmody.

PS - I'm not offended

I like Hunter but I wouldn't be disappointed if we got Carmody. He seems fast and athletic enough. I don't understand where this "slow-footed" criticism comes from.
Are you new here? Have you not seen any of Nag's posts?

Personally out of the 3 in order of preference it goes Carmody, Hunter then Phinisee but I would be happy getting any 1 or 2 of the 3. Add 1 between Jallow and Anderson, Nance and maybe a big and that is a fantastic 4 man class.

Kramer was 236 in his class. Carmody is 83. This is a ranking system similar to golf so lower numbers are better. Unlike bowling where higher scores are good.

Again I realize you are the recruiting expert.

#NagKnowsAll

My question was who's more athletic between Carmody and Kramer and based on your response, the answer was Kramer. That's all I needed to know. I didn't bring up the recruiting rankings and I would still pass on Carmody.

My question was who's more athletic between Carmody and Kramer and based on your response, the answer was Kramer. That's all I needed to know. I didn't bring up the recruiting rankings and I would still pass on Carmody.

WTF Why?

"Athletic wing Robby Carmody demonstrates talent as a straightline athlete and spot-up jump shooter." --Rob Harrington (Scout.com)

"I look at Robby and see his size, athletic ability, smarts, competitiveness and skill level, and in my opinion he’s a high-major player." --Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

"A 6-foot-4 shooting guard, he's a natural scorer with sneaky athleticism and deep range. John Beilein extended a scholarship in early August, making him one of only four players in the class currently with a known offer." --Brendan Quinn (mlive.com)

Reactions: Boilerkid18
WTF Why?

"Athletic wing Robby Carmody demonstrates talent as a straightline athlete and spot-up jump shooter." --Rob Harrington (Scout.com)

"I look at Robby and see his size, athletic ability, smarts, competitiveness and skill level, and in my opinion he’s a high-major player." --Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

"A 6-foot-4 shooting guard, he's a natural scorer with sneaky athleticism and deep range. John Beilein extended a scholarship in early August, making him one of only four players in the class currently with a known offer." --Brendan Quinn (mlive.com)

I just don't think he's the type of guard that will be an upgrade for Purdue.

Last edited:
I get it, and you're entitled to it. But I'm not sure we have the luxury of passing on a consensus Top 100 player, especially when we have available schollies in 2018.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy

On paper and according to his 40 and vertical Kramer would be the more athletic just guessing off of what Carmody would put up. Kramer never played at the speed his 40 would suggest nor did he play above the rim like his vertical leap would suggest. Sure he had a dunk or two but he did not play to the metrics he was measured at. There are lots of kids who can test well at certain areas but at the same time cannot play at the speed or height they jump at. Track athletes are notorious for this. My point is on paper Kramer is by far the better athlete, but that doesn't mean it is or was fully represented on the court. I haven't watched enough from Hunter but I wouldn't put Phinisee's athleticism above Carmody at this point especially when you consider the height difference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT