ADVERTISEMENT

Tyger Announcement

It is what it is. Not sure why an Indiana kid would want to play for UCLA and Alford, but so be it. Besides I like the guys and the team we already have, I wasn't convinced how Tyger's role with the team would have worked anyway.
Wouldn't call him an Indiana kid just because he played ball at a prep school based in Indiana. That's like calling Miles Bridges a West Virginia kid because he went to Huntington Prep.

Wouldn't call him an Indiana kid just because he played ball at a prep school based in Indiana. That's like calling Miles Bridges a West Virginia kid because he went to Huntington Prep.
My bad, I wasn't sure. I guess he was from Nashville before he went to LaLum. Starting to bug me that we lost a recruit to Alford! :mad:

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
My bad, I wasn't sure. I guess he was from Nashville before he went to LaLum. Starting to bug me that we lost a recruit to Alford! :mad:
Someone else said it earlier - some of staying on Tyger might have been for appearance sake to keep in LaLums "good graces" with other kids we are recruiting.

Time will tell but won't call not getting "Tyger" a miss.

Reactions: Purdue0034
Someone else said it earlier - some of staying on Tyger might have been for appearance sake to keep in LaLums "good graces" with other kids we are recruiting.

Time will tell but won't call not getting "Tyger" a miss.

still not sure I follow that thinking entirely.
if its primarily for appearance and he actually commits, it seems like there would be increased chances for unfavorable outcomes... and those could hurt any relationship far worse than simply not offering 1 player.

just seems risky and un-painter like.
especially after not having the "right" guys in recent years.
wonder how often we do this

if its primarily for appearance and he actually commits, it seems like there would be increased chances for unfavorable outcomes... and those could hurt any relationship far worse than simply not offering 1 player.

You're right.

Clarity on my end would help. I don't doubt Painter and his staff wanted Tyger - just not sure how bad they wanted or needed him. He might be a kid you don't really walk away from because LaLum has this vaunted status and it would look like we were burning a bridge.

Not sure if that totally makes sense.

PS I read somewhere that if we get this thread to over 20 pages, he will sign with us....

Reactions: BoilerBiker and BBG
Would Painter go after a player who may not fill a need in order to potentially land a bigger fish who is his friend in a different year group? Or as an attempt to make some inroads into a recruiting hot bed school like LA Lum? I know Painter keeps recruiting players from La Lum with mixed results. The bridge isn't burned, but it sure seems like Purdue just isn't good enough for many of their players' interest.

La Lum seems to me to be for those whose goal (realistic or not) is one or two and done. I don't think CMP's recruiting style coupled with his candor plays particularly well with that mindset, and is ok with me. It would be nice to land some of these, but I am not convinced that it would necessarily work well ultimately.

Rafael Davis and Jay Simpson played there but they were already committed. Not sure what happened with the relationship there after they left. Was it a change in coaches? Did Lalu focus on basketball start when Davis/Simpson first attended?

Rafael Davis and Jay Simpson played there but they were already committed. Not sure what happened with the relationship there after they left. Was it a change in coaches? Did Lalu focus on basketball start when Davis/Simpson first attended?

that's why I am perplexed. Purdue and Painter have had previous success recruiting players at La Lum, and he continues to recruit their players. I don't believe painter burned any bridges. but it just seems like their players are currently being influenced to look elsewhere. and I'm not sure what Painter or Purdue ever did to turn off their coaches. Their is a lot of talent at la lum. it would be nice to be able to tap it for at least one player a year.

Don't take the "theory" all the way to either end of black or white - keep it in the 40% light gray to 40% dark gray area. In other words, no, a coach would rarely do this with someone he did not want or would regret getting. But he would do it with a player that he was OK if he didn't get. He would also do it with a player who he knew if he backed his attention back a bit would probably go somewhere else.

One of the mantra's of recruiting is for the recruit to go where they want him/her the most. Now, with 5-stars, there are usually many that want him, but when you get to lower rated, often one team stands out as wanting "you" more. Generally, those who go there are happier than those who go more where they want to go.

Reactions: BoilerBiker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT