ADVERTISEMENT

Sydney Curry and Keion Brooks Jr!

Poprudy

All-American
Jan 26, 2012
Painter there ya go! One will be a 5 star and legit player at the college ranks. Free up the guard and let them play a little...and you will land one!

Keion Brooks could have played at Purdue...in retrospect. He wasn't that caliber recruit coming out of h.s. but blossomed late in his sr. year and let North to a deep tourney run in 95. He is in the Wright St athletics Hall of Fame and I believe torched Kentucky for something like 30+ points in Rupp his senior year. I have no doubt in my mind his kid will be a stud. Needs to be a priority for 2019. I've been told (not verified)Curry's dad played at Butler (Lewis) and, like his dad, he will be built like a brick...well, "house". Also one to look after.

GS

Last edited:
Keion Brooks could have played at Purdue...in retrospect. He wasn't that caliber recruit coming out of h.s. but blossomed late in his sr. year and let North to a deep tourney run in 95. He is in the Wright St athletics Hall of Fame and I believe torched Kentucky for something like 30+ points in Rupp his senior year. I have no doubt in my mind his kid will be a stud. Needs to be a priority for 2019. I've been told (not verified)Curry's dad played at Butler (Lewis) and, like his dad, he will be built like a brick...well, "house". Also one to look after.

GS

who is "North" you reference in the deep tourney run?

Painter there ya go! One will be a 5 star and legit player at the college ranks. Free up the guard and let them play a little...and you will land one!
This is the type of thing that really misrepresents Purdue. The guard play is not nearly as locked down as you are saying here. The PG is free to play within the system and create his own shot and score where necessary. Sure we are post-first and for good reason, but the PG isn't nearly as stymied as some believe.

This is the type of thing that really misrepresents Purdue. The guard play is not nearly as locked down as you are saying here. The PG is free to play within the system and create his own shot and score where necessary. Sure we are post-first and for good reason, but the PG isn't nearly as stymied as some believe.

Yep. RJ did whatever he wanted. What did that gain the team?

I think if you look at what Octeus did last year at PG, I'd consider that a great representation of what Painter wants the PG to do within the system. Run the motion offense and if you see an opening to drive or make a play then do it, if not keep running the motion.
Exactly right. Play within the system and you have all the opportunity you want to make plays. RJ didn't buy in to that and the results speak for themselves.

Yep. RJ did whatever he wanted. What did that gain the team?

There is an enormous difference in what RJ did, and what a good point guard should do. I don't want to keep beating on this same ex-player, so let's let RJ pass quietly from the program. Instead, let's talk, in general, about a point guard using good judgement to recognize (or better yet, create) a good shot opportunities.

When you have dominant post players, the key is to get the ball to them when they are in the right position. Other teams know that too and work very hard to prevent it. The PG must force the defense to play those dominant posts with some honesty. That means feeding the posts the ball as much as possible. Once that happens, good shots will open up for the PG. A good PG will work to put the very best coordinated effort toward using the teams strengths, and disguessing the team's weaknesses. SImply attempting to drive and score every play is not the hallmark of a good PG, and is a sign of an inflexible and selfish approach to the game.

Painter wants the PG to actually run the team, not a dude that will drive and try to score, regardless of the quality of the shot, or the position of the defense. The opportunity here is huge for a PG, considering all the weapons he can utilize. A PG that makes this team boil will get plenty of great publicity for his work, regardless of his scoring average.

:cool:

There is an enormous difference in what RJ did, and what a good point guard should do. I don't want to keep beating on this same ex-player, so let's let RJ pass quietly from the program. Instead, let's talk, in general, about a point guard using good judgement to recognize (or better yet, create) a good shot opportunities.

When you have dominant post players, the key is to get the ball to them when they are in the right position. Other teams know that too and work very hard to prevent it. The PG must force the defense to play those dominant posts with some honesty. That means feeding the posts the ball as much as possible. Once that happens, good shots will open up for the PG. A good PG will work to put the very best coordinated effort toward using the teams strengths, and disguessing the team's weaknesses. SImply attempting to drive and score every play is not the hallmark of a good PG, and is a sign of an inflexible and selfish approach to the game.

Painter wants the PG to actually run the team, not a dude that will drive and try to score, regardless of the quality of the shot, or the position of the defense. The opportunity here is huge for a PG, considering all the weapons he can utilize. A PG that makes this team boil will get plenty of great publicity for his work, regardless of his scoring average.

:cool:
Aaron Craft comes to mind.

Reactions: BoilerFan89
I saw Brooks wants to hear from Kansas... Another one looking specifically at blue bloods. Hopefully he comes on a visit and leaves extremely impressed.

Some people have lost interest in Curry, but he has been working hard to get back. His physical attributes are looking very good, mentally he still is working to get that right. He will be a force for Northrop this year. I think CMP will keep tabs on him now that he moved back to the 2020 class.

As for KB jr. I know many we're contesting my MSU lean but I might even put Kentucky at a very high 2 spot over IU. Remember this will be a business move for Sr. not Jr. And If jr. made his own decisions he would've move to La Lumiere. I could be wrong or it could change but sticking.

We are not serious contenders for Brooks at this point. MSU and IU have a clear lead, and he has offers from UK and UNC already.

Some people have lost interest in Curry, but he has been working hard to get back. His physical attributes are looking very good, mentally he still is working to get that right. He will be a force for Northrop this year. I think CMP will keep tabs on him now that he moved back to the 2020 class.
Wrong

We are not serious contenders for Brooks at this point. MSU and IU have a clear lead, and he has offers from UK and UNC already.

You need to go educate our coaching staff asap so they stop devoting resources to his recruitment!

I see your point.
How has that worked out for us in the post conference play ?
We probably don’t need to go a lot more athletic and up and down the court fast, just steady eddy with 1980’s Keadyball-esqe philosophy?
That’s what all the AAU teams are preaching right? You know the place where all of the most talented high school players populate.
The place where most dream of NBA stardom.
Apparently we aren’t that appealing in current form.
Square peg round hole approach is just bound to work on the national stage someday, yes?
Meantime, just repeat to anyone who’ll buy it, next year and we’re going win it all ................................................someday!

They already know. Painter is confident in getting Gillis. He knows he isn't getting Brooks or TJD.

So recent articles with quotes from both Davis and Brooks are bs? What is the basis for your claim that they aren't coming to Purdue?

I believe you are correct on both accounts

image.jpg

So recent articles with quotes from both Davis and Brooks are bs? What is the basis for your claim that they aren't coming to Purdue?
Correct. I sat with Painter at 3 New Castle games this year. He is really good friends with former NC coach Steve Bennett (gives Gillis private workouts). He was asked by a relative of the Center Grove head coach (Zach Hahn - Former NC player) how he felt about his chances with TJD. He said TJD is all but signed with IU. The same person then asked about Brooks. Painter said "To be honest, I think we are a long shot there as well. That's the reason I'm sitting here watching Gillis."

Correct. I sat with Painter at 3 New Castle games this year. He is really good friends with former NC coach Steve Bennett (gives Gillis private workouts). He was asked by a relative of the Center Grove head coach (Zach Hahn - Former NC player) how he felt about his chances with TJD. He said TJD is all but signed with IU. The same person then asked about Brooks. Painter said "To be honest, I think we are a long shot there as well. That's the reason I'm sitting here watching Gillis."
Saw someone post on Twitter that it was surprising TJD hasn’t gotten any additional offers this spring. Needless to say one of the first comments was “yeah well he and his family should stop telling people he is a lock to IU”.

I wouldn’t 100% rule out Brooks because you never know where and when the dominos will fall.

Reactions: BoilerIron

Sound reasoning.

Even if your interpretation of events & quotes is accurate, and I have no reason to think otherwise, there remains the possibility things change moving forward. To say either of them aren't coming to Purdue is too strong for my taste, and we need look no further back than Biggie to see an example how recruiting can change.

The way I see it, the chance of Brooks committing to us alone is next to nil. The chance of him committing to us if TJD commits to us first would be over 40%. That said, the chance of TJD committing to us first is 10%, tops, unless IU gets caught with something that earns them an serious NCAA sanction in the next six months.

Not being pessimistic, jut being realistic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT