ADVERTISEMENT

I'm actually glad it's NC State

BBG

All-American
Jun 18, 2001
Global
www.beeradvocate.com
As others have said, I think we have several advantages and Zach SHOULD be too much for them to handle. He most certainly will be better than Burns... by a lot and Zach has 25 pounds of muscle over Burns.

Now.. NC State got to a FF for a reason. Their seeding was likely too low and the team certainly cannot take them for granted (which I have little doubt that they won't anyway).

Play our game and we could win by double digits. UT had the single best defense we have faced all season and we found a way to win.

One game at a time.. COME ON SATURDAY!!!

As others have said, I think we have several advantages and Zach SHOULD be too much for them to handle. He most certainly will be better than Burns... by a lot and Zach has 25 pounds of muscle over Burns.

Now.. NC State got to a FF for a reason. Their seeding was likely too low and the team certainly cannot take them for granted (which I have little doubt that they won't anyway).

Play our game and we could win by double digits. UT had the single best defense we have faced all season and we found a way to win.

Think we are good unless NCSt outside shooters go all NE on us. Can't wait!!

I have to admit, Burns getting 29 pts in 29 minutes in an Elite Eight game is very impressive. He does a lot of damage in his time on the court. People comparing him to Trevion is a good comparison, I think. Burns isn't as well conditioned as Trevion was, but Burns appears to have a similar skill set and is unstoppable (so far) around the basket.

I have to admit, Burns getting 29 pts in 29 minutes in an Elite Eight game is very impressive. He does a lot of damage in his time on the court. People comparing him to Trevion is a good comparison, I think. Burns isn't as well conditioned as Trevion was, but Burns appears to have a similar skill set and is unstoppable (so far) around the basket.
I don't know how well Trevion was conditioned but I think he only had to play 20 mpg his senior year because he was splitting the game with Edey about 50-50 unless one was in foul trouble.

Reactions: BoilerAndy

I think their seeding was just right…they finished 17-14 and then got hot at the right time.

Zach has 7 inches and 25 pounds on Burns —who is a great story and player in his own right, but he’s never seen someone like Zach. Zach is stronger than others he’s played against.

They like to get out in transition and their guards are playing great—knockin down shots. If we play like we did this past Sunday, not sure we get it done. BUT, if we play how we normally do, we will be in a good position to win!

Obviously the question is whether they do a hard double often when Zach gets the ball down low. There's clearly nobody LIKE Zach that they have played, but what about other strong, skilled bigs in their league. How did they handle Bacot the multiple times they played UNC? I'm not sure outside of him there was a lot of post talent in the ACC this year. Duke didn't have it. Clemson didn't have it.

I don't know how well Trevion was conditioned but I think he only had to play 20 mpg his senior year because he was splitting the game with Edey about 50-50 unless one was in foul trouble.
Thanks. For some reason I had forgotten that. I remember how he transformed his body once he came to Purdue, and in my mind he was playing a lot of minutes. In my mind... :cool:

Reactions: TC4THREE
I think their seeding was just right…they finished 17-14 and then got hot at the right time.

Zach has 7 inches and 25 pounds on Burns —who is a great story and player in his own right, but he’s never seen someone like Zach. Zach is stronger than others he’s played against.

They like to get out in transition and their guards are playing great—knockin down shots. If we play like we did this past Sunday, not sure we get it done. BUT, if we play how we normally do, we will be in a good position to win!

Indeed, going to need a more balanced offense with our typical outside shooting. Shooting 20% from 3 rarely gets it done, unless there is an all world, 2 time All American around who has the best game of his career.

If I'm them, I double/triple team Zach and let the shooters try to beat us. Is it more difficult to shoot the ball in a cavernous stadium as compared to an arena? I would think there would be a difference. Of course, Fletch won the high school 3-point contest at the final four a few years ago, so maybe it won't bother him.

Reactions: Dryfly88
If I'm them, I double/triple team Zach and let the shooters try to beat us. Is it more difficult to shoot the ball in a cavernous stadium as compared to an arena? I would think there would be a difference. Of course, Fletch won the high school 3-point contest at the final four a few years ago, so maybe it won't bother him.

It is more difficult. The last time Purdue played there in the NCAA tournament a lot of our players made comments how difficult it was to shoot because of the visuals.

I’m confident in Purdue, but I don’t think that this NC State team should be taken lightly at all. Watching them play now, they clearly have a lot of talent. I think that they must have been underachieving all year heading into the ACC Tournament and since then they have been playing with no pressure as underdogs.

Reactions: tjreese
If I'm NC State, I bring the double as soon as the ball is in the air headed to Edey. I do not let him get 30 points. Someone (s) else is going to beat me. As other have said, we are playing in a football stadium. If I'm their coach and we get beat by guys hitting 3's I live with that and sleep well at night. If I play Edey single and he goes off for 40 I don't forgive myself.

Reactions: TopSecretBoiler
If I'm NC State, I bring the double as soon as the ball is in the air headed to Edey. I do not let him get 30 points. Someone (s) else is going to beat me. As other have said, we are playing in a football stadium. If I'm their coach and we get beat by guys hitting 3's I live with that and sleep well at night. If I play Edey single and he goes off for 40 I don't forgive myself.

What should help in that first game is having rested legs for our three-point shooting.

Reactions: JerseyBoiler
What should help in that first game is having rested legs for our three-point shooting.
I'm not saying we won't make 3's. I'm simply saying what I would do if I were their coach. There is no way I let Edey go off or get my whole front line in foul trouble. Force him to get rid of it and see if the other players produce. If they do, tip the cap.

I’m confident in Purdue, but I don’t think that this NC State team should be taken lightly at all. Watching them play now, they clearly have a lot of talent. I think that they must have been underachieving all year heading into the ACC Tournament and since then they have been playing with no pressure as underdogs.
They put their current starting PF in the starting lineup a little bit before the ACC tournament and after a rough start with it have taken off since

Their seeding was pretty much perfect. Only reason they made the tourney was because they won the ACC tourney. They're on a crazy run. Were on a 4 game losing streak going into the ACC tourney, now on a 9 game winning streak.

But... I think Purdue wins pretty easily. This is when 11 seeds always fizzle out finally. UCLA, VCU, George Mason and others. Edey goes for 30+. We get the Edey-Clingan matchup people want.

Burns was also his regions MVP and seen stated that he is one of the best physical matchups Zach will see.
Don't let the Charles Barkley body fool you, the kid can play.

Burns was also his regions MVP and seen stated that he is one of the best physical matchups Zach will see.
Don't let the Charles Barkley body fool you, the kid can play.
Best physical matchup? Eh, doubtful. Zach also flourishes with those kinds of matchups as that means he won't have 3 people hanging on him.

I don't doubt the kid can play, he scored what 30 on Duke? Flipside is though he has never played against anyone like Zach .. ever.

Best physical matchup? Eh, doubtful. Zach also flourishes with those kinds of matchups as that means he won't have 3 people hanging on him.

I don't doubt the kid can play, he scored what 30 on Duke? Flipside is though he has never played against anyone like Zach .. ever.

When Zach gets to go one v one, no one can stop him. Burns may stop him on a few plays early on, but Zach keeps comin at ya for 40 min and that’s what wears teams down.

Reactions: DrEss and pushal
Their seeding was pretty much perfect. Only reason they made the tourney was because they won the ACC tourney. They're on a crazy run. Were on a 4 game losing streak going into the ACC tourney, now on a 9 game winning streak.

But... I think Purdue wins pretty easily. This is when 11 seeds always fizzle out finally. UCLA, VCU, George Mason and others. Edey goes for 30+. We get the Edey-Clingan matchup people want.
Anyone remember where NC St was seeded the year they won it all under Valvano?

I believe they were a 6 seed. If I remember correctly there will still only 32 teams then. Expansion to 64 didn't happen until 1985.

52 - with preliminary games for the four #12-seed spots to get to 48, so top 4-seeds had a first round bye.

NC State won the ACC championship to make the field and survived two-one point games, including the West Regional Final against Virginia after surviving a two-point win in two overtimes in the first round. They needed a semi-miracle against Pepperdine, who had a six-point lead late in the first overtime - then Pepperdine's starting guard missed two one-and-one front ends in the last 20 seconds and NC State tied it off its own FT miss.

I remember staying up late to watch that game....crazy how NC State pulled that out of the abyss.

Oh by the way, Pepperdine's coach - Jim Harrick, who then went on to UCLA and Rhode Island.

I haven't watched them, but their top four players have been at college 19 years! They are old and making this their last run! close to half the assists come from Burns and O'connell...probably a pg and 5. Suspect Burns has seen doubles and gets his assist passing out or just crafty at scoring and passing. Sixth year player...old, mature and cagey? just glancing at some data

I mean 3/15, really hard to shoot much worse.

Reactions: northside100
See if you can dig up the videos of Trevon, running his preseason mile times his junior and senior years. He was an excellent condition, that was not an issue as an upperclassman.

And to think if NC State doesn't bank that 3 or (I forget who they were playing) the opposing team makes the front end of a 1 and 1.... we likely are playing someone else.

They are on a heater right now for sure, but then again really so are we and even if both teams struggle, our talent (in theory) is MUCH higher than theirs.

What I can't stand is I saw some CBS sports moron clamor for NC State to talk about fouls during every press conference leading up to the game... to "get in the officials heads" as it were. Then he went on to whine about a 3 second rule while........ not knowing the rule (you can have one foot in)

Everyone wants Zach to foul out and then will cheer if it happens..... it won't because he plays smart... but even so I think we have enough to beat NC State should that even come close to happening. If we play OUR game.. they have no answers for us.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
And to think if NC State doesn't bank that 3 or (I forget who they were playing) the opposing team makes the front end of a 1 and 1.... we likely are playing someone else.

They are on a heater right now for sure, but then again really so are we and even if both teams struggle, our talent (in theory) is MUCH higher than theirs.

What I can't stand is I saw some CBS sports moron clamor for NC State to talk about fouls during every press conference leading up to the game... to "get in the officials heads" as it were. Then he went on to whine about a 3 second rule while........ not knowing the rule (you can have one foot in)

Everyone wants Zach to foul out and then will cheer if it happens..... it won't because he plays smart... but even so I think we have enough to beat NC State should that even come close to happening. If we play OUR game.. they have no answers for us.
It’s insane how ppl have made fun of/don’t take Purdue serious since last year at every possible turn (on any platform) and then are in shock when Purdue overcomes all of it and continue to root against them because “the fix is in” and the ncaa “wants Purdue” in the finals.

It may be even more astonishing that the talking heads have no idea what the actual three second rule is in men’s college ball, which is the only league that is different than all others.

It’ll be everyone rooting for the underdog in NC State…which is fine, it’s been that way all year vs Purdue. Everyone wants to Purdue fail. First, whenever we lost, it was “they are frauds!” And now it’s “they’re protected by the refs”! But it’s fine, the team will keep going and hopefully complete its ultimate goal.

I haven't watched them, but their top four players have been at college 19 years! They are old and making this their last run! close to half the assists come from Burns and O'connell...probably a pg and 5. Suspect Burns has seen doubles and gets his assist passing out or just crafty at scoring and passing. Sixth year player...old, mature and cagey? just glancing at some data
To your point: they are losing most of their roster after this weekend, so their coaches are hosting portal visits RIGHT NOW…

He's got a bit of Trevian in his game for sure. Hopefully the team not taking them as lightly as many fans are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT