ADVERTISEMENT

Saint Peter's v. Purdue Game Thread (NCAA Tournament - East Regional Semi-Final)

When I did my bracket I picked boilers to win 1 game due to turnovers, poor defense, free throw shooting has been lacking, and generally poor play last few weeks. So based on that they overachieved. Still doesn’t take the sting away from losing a game you would win going away if everyone just played well.
In November, Purdue wins this game by 20 +.

The most bias ref job you could EVER DO!!! Holy shit they were awful. Don’t call obvious fouls but call touch fouls? Gtfoh! They helped them win that game 100%.
Imagine being fouled all game without fouls being called while shooting and that leads to a missed shot. Frustrating to watch as a fan imagine being a player in that situation.
maybe the coach should defend his players instead of chewing his nails while the game pisses away.

Ivey obviously had a very bad game but we might not even make the tournament without him. Without him, we are probably a .500 team.
This is a gross overstatement made out of frustration. Purdue had a flaw - depth at point guard. Ivey is not a point guard. Hunter is OK but not a real PG. Good PGs do not turn the ball over. They make good entry passes to the post. I am not unconvinced that a Braden Smith is not a step up at PG next year. Loyer is in the 3 pt shooting contest. He is at least as good as Sasha. Edey is likely back as is Gillis and Furst. TKR is a newby but skilled. Purdue will be OK next year. WHo in the B1G will be expected to be better?

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Why is it a terrible comparison? Shouldn't a coach with 4 rings do better against SP than a coach with none?
You pretty clearly didn't comprehend anything I wrote in my post. The post was about CMP's entire tenure at Purdue and how he has a pattern for these types of losses... Then you wanted to bring up Cal... What is the pattern with Cal? a first round exit to a 15 seed? You know as well as I that is not a Pattern for UK... But keep bringing up the 2 teams losses this year because that completely diminishes the point I made in the initial post...

Reactions: Poprudy
This is a gross overstatement made out of frustration. Purdue had a flaw - depth at point guard. Ivey is not a point guard. Hunter is OK but not a real PG. Good PGs do not turn the ball over. They make good entry passes to the post. I am not unconvinced that a Braden Smith is not a step up at PG next year. Loyer is in the 3 pt shooting contest. He is at least as good as Sasha. Edey is likely back as is Gillis and Furst. TKR is a newby but skilled. Purdue will be OK next year. WHo in the B1G will be expected to be better?
No, we don't win a lot without Ivey. That's pretty obvious. Our other guards down the stretch have been bad, maybe with the exception of Hunter...

Reactions: Poprudy
I won't be surprised if Edey enters the portal. He looked totally frustrated the last few games. And Smith will certainly get a lot of playing time early.

• Haha
Reactions: johnboiler123
You pretty clearly didn't comprehend anything I wrote in my post. The post was about CMP's entire tenure at Purdue and how he has a pattern for these types of losses... Then you wanted to bring up Cal... What is the pattern with Cal? a first round exit to a 15 seed? You know as well as I that is not a Pattern for UK... But keep bringing up the 2 teams losses this year because that completely diminishes the point I made in the initial post...
I comprehend fully. You're frustrated with the loss and you want to blame Painter. Simple.

I comprehend fully. You're frustrated with the loss and you want to blame Painter. Simple.
Lol your reply had nothing to do with my post... You brought up Cal and UK... Clearly you didn't understand my post or he wouldn't have been used to defend CMP... If not IDK what to say... Because it didn't do a thing to disprove anything I wrote..

But thats kind of my point. If you think Smith is an upgrade, what does that say about this team with Ivey. Even with good forwards and the ability to play more small ball next year, our guard play is a HUGE concern. Loyer wont be able to guard anyone either so he will be a clone of SS. At least in year one. Obviously, I hope I'm wrong.

b/c the refs heard all the shit about the "freethrow imbalance" from the Texas game and determined they weren't going to do it, so let St. P players just foul all night without calling it... I couldn't believe what they were getting away doing to Zach and Tre *all* night, not to mention how their guards played D like it was 2005 or something with hands all over the Purdue guards.... Then on the other end, touch foul, touch foul... I definitely thought the refs set the tone of the game that greatly benefited St P's...
Wow, that is so weak. St. Pete’s had more guys in foul trouble all night. It made no difference in the game. The fact is Purdue looked completely unprepared and made way too many turnovers and let St. Pete’s stick around when they should have buried them.

Look at the B1G next year: Wisconsin loses a lot of talent but will still be good. Iowa loses a lot. Illinois loses a lot. Michigan is over-rated and loses some. OSU loses Liddel (most likely.) MSU has been disappointing. I see Purdue as no worse than 3rd in the B1G next year.

Look at the B1G next year: Wisconsin loses a lot of talent but will still be good. Iowa loses a lot. Illinois loses a lot. Michigan is over-rated and loses some. OSU loses Liddel (most likely.) MSU has been disappointing. I see Purdue as no worse than 3rd in the B1G next year.
Who freaking cares about the B1G?!?

• Love
Reactions: drewjin
No Big Ten Championship, no Big Ten Tournament title, sweet 16 loss to an inferior team, split the season with our biggest rival, but we reached number 1, then failed to win a single game with that ranking. Average Purdue season. The only difference between this season and every other Purdue season is that this Purdue team gave us hope early on that our team might be better than it really is. That hope made this season more painful than normal Purdue seasons. Shame on us for raising our expectations. We should know better.

Under CMP Purdue has had too many games to count now where they looked exactly like tonight. Deer in headlights. This is nothing new and also why quite a few in here knew from about 5 minutes left in the first half they were going to lose... It's a pattern and it doesn't matter who is playing. A pattern developed over 17 years means its not the players but the coach... If people can't understand that then fine. Be happy with sweet 16 ceilings and maybe 1 or 2 more B1G championships in the next 20 years... If that's your happy place more power to you, but I believe the rich history of Purdue basketball can accomplish and deserves more...
That's not my happy place. This loss seems to be swinging some of the Painter nut huggers to the other side.

This team just never was the same after December. It's a damned shame. You just can't ask for better breaks in the bracket than we got this year. Couldn't score against a 15 seed and couldn't stop turning the ball over like mad men. Short of a miracle, this is pretty damned disappointing, which is yet again, par for the course for Purdue in the tournament. :(
We would never beat North Carolina if we had a rematch. Striking how different the directions the teams are trending

That's not my happy place. This loss seems to be swinging some of the Painter nut huggers to the other side.
Every critique that he and Purdue gets after this is probably warranted. Except, Virginia (not including Texas Tech due to injury), we havent lost to a better team in a while. Always a small team with quick guards who cause havoc on our slow, spot up shooters.

Every critique that he and Purdue gets after this is probably warranted. Except, Virginia (not including Texas Tech due to injury), we havent lost to a better team in a while. Always a small team with quick guards who cause havoc on our slow, spot up shooters.
It is almost like we are so predictable teams can game plan to take away what we want to do . . .

maybe the coach should defend his players instead of chewing his nails while the game pisses away.
He used to. He used to be all over the refs. I have said it more than once this year that he has not had the fire this year. Not sure why.

Painter has recruited well the past few years. He has developed a culture. He represents Purdue extremely well. He does seem to be closed minded / stubborn / or just afraid to make changes. I am not sure which is appropriate. He seems at times tighten up under pressure situations. Painter needs to learn from his mistakes and continue moving forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT