ADVERTISEMENT

Saint Peter's v. Purdue Game Thread (NCAA Tournament - East Regional Semi-Final)

But let me see, Purdue teams under Painter have consistently down this …. What’s the common denominator? He let this game get away in the first 5 min of the second half which a good coach never would allow to happen. THIS WILL BE OUR CEILING!!!
Exactly. He either recruits the same deficient players after all these years or his coaching philosophy is the issue. Also not a fluke his best seasons come with top drawer assistants.

But let me see, Purdue teams under Painter have consistently down this …. What’s the common denominator? He let this game get away in the first 5 min of the second half which a good coach never would allow to happen. THIS WILL BE OUR CEILING!!!
What would you have done to not let it get away? Told Ivey to shoot more? To toss up more air balls?

The most bias ref job you could EVER DO!!! Holy shit they were awful. Don’t call obvious fouls but call touch fouls? Gtfoh! They helped them win that game 100%.
Imagine being fouled all game without fouls being called while shooting and that leads to a missed shot. Frustrating to watch as a fan imagine being a player in that situation.

Last edited:
St Peters plays well as a team and understands who they are. Ivey is a great talent but at times is very immature and thinks he can just flip the switch and change the game. He couldn't do that tonight. Gotta play hard and smart every minute. We didn't do that. Painter may coach 5 players who aren't NBA talent better than he can coach a superstar. Ivey needed some bench time or some very direct talk at times during the season and I'm not sure he got either.

Under CMP Purdue has had too many games to count now where they looked exactly like tonight. Deer in headlights. This is nothing new and also why quite a few in here knew from about 5 minutes left in the first half they were going to lose... It's a pattern and it doesn't matter who is playing. A pattern developed over 17 years means its not the players but the coach... If people can't understand that then fine. Be happy with sweet 16 ceilings and maybe 1 or 2 more B1G championships in the next 20 years... If that's your happy place more power to you, but I believe the rich history of Purdue basketball can accomplish and deserves more...
So, did the great Cal at UK have a deer in the headlight look?

Reactions: Zaphod_B
St Peters plays well as a team and understands who they are. Ivey is a great talent but at times is very immature and thinks he can just flip the switch and change the game. He couldn't do that tonight. Gotta play hard and smart every minute. We didn't do that. Painter may coach 5 players who aren't NBA talent better than he can coach a superstar. Ivey needed some bench time or some very direct talk at times during the season and I'm not sure he got either.
Didn't we have our biggest lead and looked the most collected and under control when Ivey was on the bench the first half? I was kind of hoping that would have continued.

Your alleged superstar doesn't toss up three air balls and throw it away six or seven times in the most important game of the year.

Well, our PG's haven't been great. Does he realize why we struggle and can't guard teams that are guard oriented? It's because you need good, tough guards. We don't have tough nosed guards. Even our NBA prospect is soft.
PG is the key in the NCAA. I thought Ivey could be that player but not

We rode the Ivey train to what exactly? What did the team ever win with him? A preseason Cheez it tournament? Painter made his bed when he chose to put 100% in on Ivey. And he gets exactly what he deserved. But good for Ivey. Got national exposure, some real good dunks and lay ups to his mix tape and a some neat individual accolades. Most pathetic leader I've ever seen in my life. And his fan bois think he's the next coming. Hah. Learn basketball.

We rode the Ivey train to what exactly? What did the team ever win with him? A preseason Cheez it tournament? Painter made his bed when he chose to put 100% in on Ivey. And he gets exactly what he deserved. But good for Ivey. Got national exposure, some real good dunks and lay ups to his mix tape and a some neat individual accolades. Most pathetic leader I've ever seen in my life. And his fan bois think he's the next coming. Hah. Learn basketball.
Ivey obviously had a very bad game but we might not even make the tournament without him. Without him, we are probably a .500 team.

When I did my bracket I picked boilers to win 1 game due to turnovers, poor defense, free throw shooting has been lacking, and generally poor play last few weeks. So based on that they overachieved. Still doesn’t take the sting away from losing a game you would win going away if everyone just played well.

Iveys decision making and Edeys hands cost us this game

Said that the whole game! That team fouled more than Texas but some how our bigs barely shot any free throws? Explain that one to me cause I’m confused
b/c the refs heard all the shit about the "freethrow imbalance" from the Texas game and determined they weren't going to do it, so let St. P players just foul all night without calling it... I couldn't believe what they were getting away doing to Zach and Tre *all* night, not to mention how their guards played D like it was 2005 or something with hands all over the Purdue guards.... Then on the other end, touch foul, touch foul... I definitely thought the refs set the tone of the game that greatly benefited St P's...

Will be interesting to see how Ivey performs at the next level. He has flaws.
Would be interesting to know the story behind Newman this year.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT