ADVERTISEMENT

Saint Peter's v. Purdue Game Thread (NCAA Tournament - East Regional Semi-Final)

Purdue Grad in Texas

All-American
Mar 22, 2010
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Tonight, it's the first of two regional semi-final games in Philadelphia for the 2022 NCAA Tournament's East Region with the #15-seed Saint Peter's Peacocks taking on the #3-seed Purdue Boilermakers. This is the first of the four regional games - tip-off at approximately 7:09 pm (Eastern) with television coverage on CBS. Saint Peter's has won nine straight and has garnered a lot of media attention in the tournament due to its upset of the #2-seed Kentucky and following that up with knocking off the #7-seed Murray State. They'll likely have a little bit of the crowd behind them as the underdog. Purdue would be wise to try and neutralize some of that with a good start and avoiding an early deficit.

Saint Peter's has won nine straight, and although the Peacocks don't have good offensive numbers over the course of the season, ranked No. 266 in effective field goal percentage and No. 310 in turnover rate, they have been shooting well from the 3-point arc and have solid offensive rebounding numbers, which has allowed them to salvage some of their possessions. The Peacocks are facing a Purdue defense that is No. 87 in adjusted efficiency. Guard Daryl Banks III leads Saint Peter’s with 11.4 points per game, while forward KC Ndefo is adding 10.7 points and 6.2 rebounds. Guard Doug Edert is only averaging 9.7 points per game, but he scored 20 points in the MAAC title game and added 20 points against Kentucky.

Purdue comes into this game ranked second in KenPom’s adjusted offensive efficiency ratings and has been at or near the top all season. The Boilers are also outstanding on the offensive glass, ranking No. 13 in offensive rebounding percentage. But Purdue is facing a Saint Peter’s defense that is No. 28 in adjusted efficiency. KC Ndefo is one of the nation’s most dangerous, well rounded defenders in the country. He’s only 6’7” but he has a top 10 block rate on the season. He moves all over the floor, able to hound horizontally and rise vertically to challenge shots. He was a physical force against Kentucky and continued it against that Murray State, where Ndefo had 17 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal, and 6 blocks. Expect a tough battle from Saint Peters on both ends of the floor, as the Peacocks have been bolstered from the clutch shooting of junior Doug Edert. He had 20 points against Kentucky, most of them coming late when the game seemed to going back to Kentucky. He’s scored 33 points in two tournament games while only taking 13 shots.

Saint Peter's does play at a pace comfortable for Purdue, and they'll have some difficulty matching up/defending Jaden Ivey. Purdue will need the same type of intensity and effectiveness on the defensive end as it had in the second round game with Texas. Look for the Boilers to continue to try and establish a post presence on offense with Zach Edey and Trevion Williams and work inside/outside. They have also been able to get to the FT line a lot the first two games. What could really turn this game is how well Purdue limits the turnovers, as possessions will be a premium in this game - give away some to turnovers and missed FT's or allow Saint Peters to get second chances, and this could definitely be a battle to the end. If the Boilers get the same level of play/production from Jaden Ivey and Eric Hunter, Jr., they will be tough to beat, especially if Sasha Stefanovic can get back on track, as he has struggled a little during the latter stages of the season.

Should be a very good entertaining contest tonight. Can the Boilers continue the good play and take one more large step toward their ultimate goal? We shall see starting in a couple of hours

Boiler up, my friends.

isaachayes1x18x10x05xmc.jpg

i
i

Who does Ndefo guard? It’s logical for him to guard Gillis, right?

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Tonight, it's the first of two regional semi-final games in Philadelphia for the 2022 NCAA Tournament's East Region with the #15-seed Saint Peter's Peacocks taking on the #3-seed Purdue Boilermakers. This is the first of the four regional games - tip-off at approximately 7:09 pm (Eastern) with television coverage on CBS. Saint Peter's has won nine straight and has garnered a lot of media attention in the tournament due to its upset of the #2-seed Kentucky and following that up with knocking off the #7-seed Murray State. They'll likely have a little bit of the crowd behind them as the underdog. Purdue would be wise to try and neutralize some of that with a good start and avoiding an early deficit.

Saint Peter's has won nine straight, and although the Peacocks don't have good offensive numbers over the course of the season, ranked No. 266 in effective field goal percentage and No. 310 in turnover rate, they have been shooting well from the 3-point arc and have solid offensive rebounding numbers, which has allowed them to salvage some of their possessions. The Peacocks are facing a Purdue defense that is No. 87 in adjusted efficiency. Guard Daryl Banks III leads Saint Peter’s with 11.4 points per game, while forward KC Ndefo is adding 10.7 points and 6.2 rebounds. Guard Doug Edert is only averaging 9.7 points per game, but he scored 20 points in the MAAC title game and added 20 points against Kentucky.

Purdue comes into this game ranked second in KenPom’s adjusted offensive efficiency ratings and has been at or near the top all season. The Boilers are also outstanding on the offensive glass, ranking No. 13 in offensive rebounding percentage. But Purdue is facing a Saint Peter’s defense that is No. 28 in adjusted efficiency. KC Ndefo is one of the nation’s most dangerous, well rounded defenders in the country. He’s only 6’7” but he has a top 10 block rate on the season. He moves all over the floor, able to hound horizontally and rise vertically to challenge shots. He was a physical force against Kentucky and continued it against that Murray State, where Ndefo had 17 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal, and 6 blocks. Expect a tough battle from Saint Peters on both ends of the floor, as the Peacocks have been bolstered from the clutch shooting of junior Doug Edert. He had 20 points against Kentucky, most of them coming late when the game seemed to going back to Kentucky. He’s scored 33 points in two tournament games while only taking 13 shots.

Saint Peter's does play at a pace comfortable for Purdue, and they'll have some difficulty matching up/defending Jaden Ivey. Purdue will need the same type of intensity and effectiveness on the defensive end as it had in the second round game with Texas. Look for the Boilers to continue to try and establish a post presence on offense with Zach Edey and Trevion Williams and work inside/outside. They have also been able to get to the FT line a lot the first two games. What could really turn this game is how well Purdue limits the turnovers, as possessions will be a premium in this game - give away some to turnovers and missed FT's or allow Saint Peters to get second chances, and this could definitely be a battle to the end. If the Boilers get the same level of play/production from Jaden Ivey and Eric Hunter, Jr., they will be tough to beat, especially if Sasha Stefanovic can get back on track, as he has struggled a little during the latter stages of the season.

Should be a very good entertaining contest tonight. Can the Boilers continue the good play and take one more large step toward their ultimate goal? We shall see starting in a couple of hours

Boiler up, my friends.

i
i
I'll be with all of you in spirit, but this will be a bit different game for me. I set the recording to watch later, but have agreed to watch the game with a few couples (10 of us?). This is a new experience for me with Purdue. I have no problem in social gatherings, but this is a Purdue basketball game. Three of the ladies, Kim being one, always exchange texts during the game. I'm just not much of a talker while the game is going on. It is more of a we didn't need that...we need 3 stops and one score...the clock is your friend, what the hell are you doing...bring it back out...wrong angle and so forth and so I hope this game does NOT get close...which it shouldn't. Kim just came in and is making a few things (she gave it a name but I don't know what she said...cheese, sausage etc plate) and I'll take some Jack and Makers Mark to share. Anyway, it is all about what is going on between the lines and hope I don't hear things that make me bite my lip...but I will. ;) Enjoy Boilers and if I can chime in at any time I might, but getting on the phone may be a bit rude and so I'll probably be muffed, but with all of you in spirit.

I'll be with all of you in spirit, but this will be a bit different game for me. I set the recording to watch later, but have agreed to watch the game with a few couples (10 of us?). This is a new experience for me with Purdue. I have no problem in social gatherings, but this is a Purdue basketball game. Three of the ladies, Kim being one, always exchange texts during the game. I'm just not much of a talker while the game is going on. It is more of a we didn't need that...we need 3 stops and one score...the clock is your friend, what the hell are you doing...bring it back out...wrong angle and so forth and so I hope this game does NOT get close...which it shouldn't. Kim just came in and is making a few things (she gave it a name but I don't know what she said...cheese, sausage etc plate) and I'll take some Jack and Makers Mark to share. Anyway, it is all about what is going on between the lines and hope I don't hear things that make me bite my lip...but I will. ;) Enjoy Boilers and if I can chime in at any time I might, but getting on the phone may be a bit rude and so I'll probably be muffed, but with all of you in spirit.
Hopefully, your fee for in-game expertise is fully appreciated. This board can always carry the load when we're down a man.

Hey....I have a job offer for you. Send me PM if interested.

Wow... good luck with that, TJ.

Not sure I've ever shared this, but my wife is (usually) much more vocal than I. Sometimes I need to help her chill.

But, that goes with her hoops background, and her love for Purdue.

In fact, if (during a game) she finds out I went to the garage for any reason AND we went on a run, she send me back out there. I'm sure she'll be monitoring my whereabouts throughout the game, looking for ANY edge...
🤣

I said it before the MSU BT Tournament, Purdue was going to the BT finals.

I didn't say it before the Iowa BT Tournament Championship, we lost.

I said it before the Yale game, Purdue was going to the Final 32.

I said it before the Texas game, we were going to go to the Final 16.

We are going to the Final 8 tonight, yeah I said it.

Also, I am sending this from a couch. I am supporting the team from having knee surgery this morning. Not feeling great, but I wanted to support our team. A win would help to ease this pain.

Boiler up, my friends.

i
i
Any word on the officiating crew?

Not sure I've ever shared this, but my wife is (usually) much more vocal than I. Sometimes I need to help her chill.

In fact, if (during a game) she finds out I went to the garage for any reason AND we went on a run, she send me back out there. I'm sure she'll be monitoring my whereabouts throughout the game, looking for ANY edge...
🤣
That's why there's a big screen and fridge in your man cave. Like me. Btfu!

charcutier plate

🤣
My wife was NEVER a sports fan until our kids started playing, NOW>>> OMFG NOW ... She gets pissed early and often. My fav phrase is "It's a 40 minute game, sweetie."

Can someone feed Seth Davis a big fat d***k! Man, why does he hate on Purdue so much.

Just walked in from two days in the hospital ... BUT!!!! I finally, after three years and three months have a SUPER clean bill of health and have identified what has caused me to pass out three times in public places and just have zero energy for weeks at a time ... DEHYDRATED .. super dehydrated. TAKE HEED my drinking buddies.
Glad you’re better. This is for you

Just walked in from two days in the hospital ... BUT!!!! I finally, after three years and three months have a SUPER clean bill of health and have identified what has caused me to pass out three times in public places and just have zero energy for weeks at a time ... DEHYDRATED .. super dehydrated. TAKE HEED my drinking buddies.

Glad you're A-OK now, DDD. Keep the electrolytes and Boiler ups.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT