ADVERTISEMENT

Romeo Langford

BigRed, NC is a state with good basketball teams but if you look carefully from where the players come from, very few are from NC. When McGuire won a NC aat UNC in the 1950s, all of the starters were from NYC. Many UNC teams has a lot of key players from NYC metro area. Same has been true for Duke. They recruit from all over. No reason Vandy can't do the same.

Last edited:
IU fans think they will have a superior team next year and I don’t see it. Phinese isn’t going to light the conference on fire next year and they will still lack shooters. Nashville is on a huge upswing right now, including in the sports world and will be a much better experience than back woods Bloomington in my opinion. Having two other 5 stars helps too, one would assume.

Maybe (probably?) it's my crimson-tinted glasses, but:

I think he was a likely Vandy commit (even though Vandy is a Nike school) until four significant things changed:
  1. Simi Shittu recently had what may be a major knee injury.
  2. Rob Phinisee developed physically and became far more dominant
  3. Archie Miller took a team with significant limitations and so far has met or exceeded expectations
  4. Bryce Drew took a team with real potential and experience and is currently 6-12 with that group. He's killed their fan support this year, and they've stunk even with no significant injuries.
I think that Kansas's logjam at the two/three and their potential NCAA issues are relatively minor points, but that Kansas's distance from New Albany is a real issue.

Where he'll end up? Beats me. I like IU's chances IF items three and four from my list more or less hold true throughout the season. I have full faith that Drew will not turn it around, but Archie has a tall task with IU's upcoming schedule.
IU - exceeding expectations again down 20 at half.

BigRed, NC is a state with good basketball teams but if you look carefully from where the players come from, very few are from NC. When McGuire won a NC aat UNC in the 1950s, all of the starters were from NYC. Many UNC teams has a lot of key players from NYC metro area. Same has been true for Duke. They recruitnfrom all over. No reason Vandy can't do the same.

I was talking about fan support. I lived in Charlotte at one point and went to a few HS games (neighbor’s son played for the local team). The talent and coaching at the HS level out there definitely aren’t anything special. The fan support is there though.

Nah, pretty much on-par with our expectations for this game. Especially with them coming off a loss. Sadly, I anticipate a savage beating at the hands of PU as well.
I agree - just poking fun at someone who thought IU was exceeding expectations this season. Just goes to show how the mindset of some of the IU fans has changed.

I agree - just poking fun at someone who thought IU was exceeding expectations this season. Just goes to show how the mindset of some of the IU fans has changed.

Oh I think they are exceeding expectations. My expectations at least. I expected a lot of these games this year and a last or second to last place finish in the league. If IU finishes between 6th and 9th, which I think is possible, we will have done more than I expected.

BigRed, just understand that your expectations are very different than those posted on the other site. I saved the season expectations made there. Yours are radically different from those.

Simply look at the posted predictions for this game. Most did not have a blowout by halftime, which this has been.

Last edited:
BigRed, just understand that your expectations are very different than those posted on the other sssite. I saved the season expectations made there. Yours are radically different from those.

Simply look at the posted predictions for this game. Most did not have a blowout by halftime, which this has been.

Peegs I assume?

Oh I think they are exceeding expectations. My expectations at least. I expected a lot of these games this year and a last or second to last place finish in the league. If IU finishes between 6th and 9th, which I think is possible, we will have done more than I expected.
You had IU getting blown out at home by Fort Wayne and ISU?

But.....But.....Romeo is going to save Little Archie's ass when he comes to Trailer City. If he doesn't come, Archie's a goner according to those on the IU board. And they're already praying for Archie to bring his thugs to Bloomington.

Where's Sampson when you need him.:D

I honestly thought IU might be better this year. There is talent, but they're not smart and have not bought into Archie.

I honestly thought IU might be better this year. There is talent, but they're not smart and have not bought into Archie.
How many 4 star recruits are on their roster? This team isn’t anything like what Crean had his first year. That team actually played harder imo.

How many 4 star recruits are on their roster? This team isn’t anything like what Crean had his first year. That team actually played harder imo.

Johnson, Davis, and Smith were 4 stars. So far, Davis is the only one that hasn’t really looked like his ranking. Smith is a freshman but looks like he Hs potential. Morgan may have been a 4 star on one site but I think the majority had him as a 3 star.

And no, there’s no comparison between this team and Crean’s first. Hell, Crean was recruiting players from the baseball tryouts and even had a team manager suit up his first year. I would’ve agreed about the effort earlier in the season; it was pathetic. The overall effort level has come up with the exception of Green and it’s gotten him a healthy dose of the bench.

I still agree that they aren’t smart. Very little basketball IQ on this team.

So I'm Romeo sitting on my couch watching today's game (Iowa).

hmmmm .... I'm a 6'6" SHOOOTING guard .... and they return Carsen and lose Dakota .... and Eastern will not be the shooter that PJ is.

hmmm ... Do I want to play D for my year or not ....

We're currently the favorite to win it all without any. Didn't UConn win it a few years ago without any also. Butler came within inches of winning it all without any as well. Maryland in 02 won it without any as well.
Wasn't it Kemba Walker that got hot?

Because that's what I was trained and paid to do! I was trained and worked hard for 20+ years to find fault and be critical of others. I was part of the Inspector General! I get enjoyment finding fault in others!
Figures!

Wasn't it Kemba Walker that got hot?

in 2011.....yes....Walker was a McD AA, IIRC. I think 4Purdue was referencing the 2014 team with Napier and Boatright, who were darn good but not McD AA's....they played like they should have been though.

Purdue's back-court is up a notch or two from some previous years.....and that is part of what a team needs to advance far.....we shall see......sometimes, you need some good fortune, too.

in 2011.....yes....Walker was a McD AA, IIRC. I think 4Purdue was referencing the 2014 team with Napier and Boatright, who were darn good but not McD AA's....they played like they should have been though.

Purdue's back-court is up a notch or two from some previous years.....and that is part of what a team needs to advance far.....we shall see......sometimes, you need some good fortune, too.
They didn't have a McDonald's All-american, you are correct. They did have a 5* top 15 player in Deandre Daniels. Daniels wasn't eligible to be selected for the McDonald's All-american game because he went to a prep academy.

But the struggle wasn't the result of those players leaving/transferring. In most cases they WERE the issue. Swanigan left after 2 years, we are doing ok. Smotherman transferred out last year, still ok. Kendall Stephens after only 2 years, we have been just fine.

So to answer your question, yes we do. Why wouldn't we want the best players possible?
I don’t. I would prefer to watch the kids grow and develop. People are forgetting what college sports are meant to be.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I personally don't think Langford is even the best at his position in the class, I would give that nod to Quentin Grimes

I personally don't think Langford is even the best at his position in the class, I would give that nod to Quentin Grimes
Romeo is good but he is not an efficient player. He needs to learn the difference between a good shot and a bad shot. He needs to learn how to drive to his left. He needs to learn how to play defense and not give up on a play so easily. He needs to get stronger and tougher. He has a lot of work to do to become a good college player. He is definitely not a one and done player.

Romeo is good but he is not an efficient player. He needs to learn the difference between a good shot and a bad shot. He needs to learn how to drive to his left. He needs to learn how to play defense and not give up on a play so easily. He needs to get stronger and tougher. He has a lot of work to do to become a good college player. He is definitely not a one and done player.
I watched him on ESPN good player but he will have to learn to defend players are faster stronger in college court is longer 3 point line foot longer will be an adjustment for him and no matter we’re he goes bcuz so many coaches make promises they truly can’t keep will not be the man bcuz said coaches promised all the 5 star recruits the same thing till they get there. If you paying attention to college basketball and watching so many of the top 100 players in class of 17 especially the top 30 all Americans quite a few in his shoes are either not playing, getting limited min some have transferred some can’t play do to FBI stuff going on but the ones that was selected to be all Americans many not getting many min or not playing at all. The kid is a talent but college will be very very different than what he is competing against now let alone the NBA grown men league he would have to compete against. Wherever he chooses to go to school I wish him all the best.

If Romeo were considering Purdue, many on here would be anointing him the greatest player ever to come out of Indiana.

However, since he has no interest in Purdue, people want to say he takes bad shots and can't play defense. He completely shut down Keion Brooks (many on here are very high on him) at the forum classic. Does he take questionable shots right now? Yes he does, but that's because he has free reign. You think he will take the same shots next year?

Saying he is not a one and done is laughable.

I watched him on ESPN good player but he will have to learn to defend players are faster stronger in college court is longer 3 point line foot longer will be an adjustment for him and no matter we’re he goes bcuz so many coaches make promises they truly can’t keep will not be the man bcuz said coaches promised all the 5 star recruits the same thing till they get there. If you paying attention to college basketball and watching so many of the top 100 players in class of 17 especially the top 30 all Americans quite a few in his shoes are either not playing, getting limited min some have transferred some can’t play do to FBI stuff going on but the ones that was selected to be all Americans many not getting many min or not playing at all. The kid is a talent but college will be very very different than what he is competing against now let alone the NBA grown men league he would have to compete against. Wherever he chooses to go to school I wish him all the best.

Wow - I love 52, so this isn't a diss at him, but man, this looks like he changed his name to Treed to post this...And not in the good ways that I love about 52's posts either...lol..it's all good though. Really not trying to be critical, just pointing out my observations...

He may well be a one and done but I would not draft him if I was a NBA GM. This year he has had a history of back troubles. His frame is not ready for more established NBA guards.

The NBA, more than the NFL, is littered with #1 draft picks that turn out to be total busts. I am convinced that the emphasis on drafting very young, and not ready, players is responsible for a lot of it.

He may well be a one and done but I would not draft him if I was a NBA GM. This year he has had a history of back troubles. His frame is not ready for more established NBA guards.

The NBA, more than the NFL, is littered with #1 draft picks that turn out to be total busts. I am convinced that the emphasis on drafting very young, and not ready, players is responsible for a lot of it.
The facts just don't back up your #1 draft pick statement. These are the #1 draft picks in the last 10 years for the NBA:

2008 - Derrick Rose
2009 - Blake Griffin
2010 - John Wall
2011 - Kyrie Irving
2012 - Anthony Davis
2013 - Anthony Bennett (Bust)
2014 - Andrew Wiggins
2015 - Karl Anthony Towns
2016 - Ben Simmons
2017 - Markell Fultz (TBD)

1 Bust in the last 10 years. As it turns out, NBA GMs are smarter than we are when it comes to evaluating talent...

If I were a high school player with the expectation of being drafted in the NBA, I would choose a team where I would start immediately, have the offense centered around me, and have national exposure. Exposure comes from winning! I doubt many one and dones want to play for a losing team unless there is money under the table! If IU was winning, Romeo would have committed long ago. I doubt the addition of Phinisee impressed him as a move of a future winner!

The facts just don't back up your #1 draft pick statement. These are the #1 draft picks in the last 10 years for the NBA:

2008 - Derrick Rose
2009 - Blake Griffin
2010 - John Wall
2011 - Kyrie Irving
2012 - Anthony Davis
2014 - Andrew Wiggins
2016 - Ben Simmons

1 Bust in the last 10 years. As it turns out, NBA GMs are smarter than we are when it comes to evaluating talent...

I don't think you should be too down on the posters of this board! If I was an NBA Gm I would have drafted all those players with the exceptions of Fultz and Bennett. I'm kind of down on Fultz because despite his great stats, his team did nothing! Great players make those around them better! I wasn't that big on Simmons either! For a #1 pick I want a player who can carry a team on his back! Dwayne Wade was that type of player.

Wow - I love 52, so this isn't a diss at him, but man, this looks like he changed his name to Treed to post this...And not in the good ways that I love about 52's posts either...lol..it's all good though. Really not trying to be critical, just pointing out my observations...

“He”is a She...and one of our players’ Mothers so if you want to keep posting here I will politely ask you to be respectful. She can hold her own with you or anyone but the rest of us might take issue with you...

I doubt treed wants or expects any special treatment. As for showing somebody respect, that should apply to all posters! I've disagreed and agreed with her as have many people! The main point is to have a civil interaction. Rather than name calling!

2008 - Derrick Rose
2009 - Blake Griffin
2010 - John Wall
2011 - Kyrie Irving
2012 - Anthony Davis
2014 - Andrew Wiggins
2016 - Ben Simmons

We look at things very differently. I could consider Rose a great disappointment. Same for Wall. Davis has not gotten his team far to date. Same can be said of Simmons. I expect more from the first overall draft pic. Remember Ewing, Olajuwon, the Spurs twins, Kareem, Kobe, etc.?

We look at things very differently. I could consider Rose a great disappointment. Same for Wall. Davis has not gotten his team far to date. Same can be said of Simmons. I expect more from the first overall draft pic. Remember Ewing, Olajuwon, the Spurs twins, Kareem, Kobe, etc.?
Rose was the NBA MVP!!! I'm not sure how you can judge Simmons in his 1st year, but he is putting up great numbers while helping his team get to the playoffs. What do you expect from Wall and Davis? Davis is in the same conference with arguably the greatest team of all time. Wall is in the same conference with arguably the greatest player of all time. To say that any of those guys are busts is crazy.

My only comment is that I believe many posters here are as smart as or smarter than many NBA gms. I've seen a lot of busts in the NBA. Tractor Traylor was a lottery pick while brad miller went undrafted? Drafting Yi to get the Chinese to buy your merchandise?

The only difference is those Gms had connections. I lost an interview to be a AAA baseball statistician because the team gave the position to a former player. he wasn't any better or smarter than me. it was just the owner felt bad for him and gave him the job to keep him off the streets. and the guy doing the interview told me that as part of the interview. it was nothing against me, but they already had their person in mind. i also had a close friend who was an intern for the Bucks. The stories he would tell about their lack of administration.

I truly believe many people here are a lot smarter than the Gms of Milwaukee, Phoenix, Orlando, Pacers, NJ and NY and several other NBA teams. .

Rose was unable to lead the #1 seeded team to the conference finals in his third year. Then, after injury upon injury he has been to the Knicks and the Cavs. Neither did anything with him.

He had potential but the MVP was questionable imo. Certainly his long-term career has been nothing to show as the #1 pick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT