ADVERTISEMENT

Romeo Langford

So if as fans you would have welcomed JJJ and he would have started and left after one year! Then as fans you need to throw out every post you ever made about not wanting to recruit and sign a one and done player. Because the reality is you'd love to have guys like Romeo and JJJ on this team.

2 teams since 1978 have won without a McDonald's All-american. The Uconn team had 5 star Deandre Daniels who wasn't eligible to be a McDonald's All-american, because he went to prep school.
Folks have mentioned one-and-done many times in this thread. I consider McD all Americans different. Not exactly the same set of players.

Yes, we wanted him. Yes, he would have started. Yes, he would still be a one and done.

This is why, 5 reasons, I think Haarms is better for this year's team (and the future). As dissapointed as everybody was to miss on JJJ and as many people were down on Haarms for his low rating I am sure we got the right player. I wouldn't make that trade if MSU offered (and it were even possible).
1) Haarms doesn't mind coming off the bench). JJJ would want/need to start, and that would affect the lineup. Option 1 JJJ starts at the 5, which is something he didn't want to do. Option 2 he starts at the four, Vince becomes the 3, Dakota the 2, and Carsen at pg. Now we are relying on Taylor/Ewing (before he left) to back up the 5. What the team needed is exactly what Haarms provides and zero ego/pride to go with it.
2) Haarms is the elite rim defender we needed. He just isn't afraid to get dirty even though he could use to continue to bulk up. He is having a spectacular year and doing very special things as a true freshman on the defensive end.
3) He doesn't commit as many silly fouls as JJJ, although he certainly does make freshman mistakes and he doesn't play as many minutes.
4). Haarms brings energy every night and gets everybody around him jacked. He is willing to do whatever it takes for the team and he is very close with all of his teammates. That extra half year with the team allowed him to learn from Biggie and helped gave him a huge advantage. Not to mention a year and a half with Haas. If Haarms can develop a dominant offensive game, he will go pro early.
5) We get him in the future! Next year's team would really be hurting without some sort of veteran leadership in the post. Haarms will have been in the system for a year and a half to start the season. Can't rely on Taylor at this point, as much as everybody would like to. I imagine he stays on because of his experience though.

But this thread is not about cheeseburgers in Paris! It's about Romeo - a rumored one and done type player! And I have issues with fans who all said they wanted JJJ and then after he signed elsewhere, they then say this is a great team and we don't need no one and done type players ! Those same posters were drooling out of their ears at the thought JJJ was considering Purdue! A bunch of two faced hypocrites!

This is why, 5 reasons, I think Haarms is better for this year's team (and the future). As dissapointed as everybody was to miss on JJJ and as many people were down on Haarms for his low rating I am sure we got the right player. I wouldn't make that trade if MSU offered (and it were even possible).
1) Haarms doesn't mind coming off the bench). JJJ would want/need to start, and that would affect the lineup. Option 1 JJJ starts at the 5, which is something he didn't want to do. Option 2 he starts at the four, Vince becomes the 3, Dakota the 2, and Carsen at pg. Now we are relying on Taylor/Ewing (before he left) to back up the 5. What the team needed is exactly what Haarms provides and zero ego/pride to go with it.
2) Haarms is the elite rim defender we needed. He just isn't afraid to get dirty even though he could use to continue to bulk up. He is having a spectacular year and doing very special things as a true freshman on the defensive end.
3) He doesn't commit as many silly fouls as JJJ, although he certainly does make freshman mistakes and he doesn't play as many minutes.
4). Haarms brings energy every night and gets everybody around him jacked. He is willing to do whatever it takes for the team and he is very close with all of his teammates. That extra half year with the team allowed him to learn from Biggie and helped gave him a huge advantage. Not to mention a year and a half with Haas. If Haarms can develop a dominant offensive game, he will go pro early.
5) We get him in the future! Next year's team would really be hurting without some sort of veteran leadership in the post. Haarms will have been in the system for a year and a half to start the season. Can't rely on Taylor at this point, as much as everybody would like to. I imagine he stays on because of his experience though.
I hate to point this out, but we could have had both JJJ and Haarms! So all that stuff you just said is a wash! If we had signed JJJ, Ewing would have been the big we passed on, not Haarms!

IMO this year's team would be better with JJJ than Haarms. This is the year we may be able to win a championship. Next year's team will not be a contender.

Rethink your thoughts! Haarms signing was never in doubt. And after we received Haarms' commitment, Painter continued to pursue JJJ until the last day! We could have had both Haarms and JJJ!

Haarms would back up Haas and JJJ would have been happy at PF and yes one of our Seniors would have ended up coming off the bench! Is that so bad?

This is all mute. Accusing posters/fans of being hypocrites is mute. No one expected Haarms to be what he is. No one thought JJJ would be as foul-prone. Most thought JT would be a force.

But, JJJ is foul-prone, Haarms is what he is, and JT is not a force.

Hindsight is always 20-20 .... if we all waited to be sure, this forum would not exist. There are a ton of hypocrites around, but I don't think this situation fits that definition.

I believe it is hypocritical to say how much you want a specific one and done player in one thread. And then post in a different thread. How you believe we don't need or want a one anddone type of player!

I'm not even using hindsight! If Romeo listed Purdue, you know everyone on this board would want Painter to sign him . And those same posters are the ones saying our team is great without one and done players

I believe it is hypocritical to say how much you want a specific one and done player in one thread. And then post in a different thread. How you believe we don't need or want a one anddone type of player!
then you can find posts everywhere in this forum that make nearly everyone hypocrites ... or poor prognosticators ... If your life is fulfilled by finding hypocrites, you are in fertile grounds.

But why waste your time doing that when you could be living the life enjoying the team and the season .... why?

then you can find posts everywhere in this forum that make nearly everyone hypocrites ... or poor prognosticators ... If your life is fulfilled by finding hypocrites, you are in fertile grounds.

But why waste your time doing that when you could be living the life enjoying the team and the season .... why?
Because that's what I was trained and paid to do! I was trained and worked hard for 20+ years to find fault and be critical of others. I was part of the Inspector General! I get enjoyment finding fault in others!

Because that's what I was trained and paid to do! I was trained and worked hard for 20+ years to find fault and be critical of others. I was part of the Inspector General! I get enjoyment finding fault in others!
carry on then ....

I was paid to solve problems. I have no desire to continue to do that. I plan to enjoy my day ....

Perfectionists rarely enjoy the thrill that I experience every day.

Romeo has some interesting choices. If he goes to IU he'll be slobber ed over by a bunch of IU crazies that believe his arrival will guarantee a FF and an another banner in his one year on campus. I don't believe any freshman guard is going to carry the remnants of the Insane Clapping Posse that far. If he goes to Vandy he may help them turn around their mediocre program. One choice he'd be just another guy in a long line if he didn't deliver a title. The other choice he'd likely be well regarded forever just for choosing them.

Reactions: Purdue85
carry on then ....

I was paid to solve problems. I have no desire to continue to do that. I plan to enjoy my day ....

Perfectionists rarely enjoy the thrill that I experience every day.
I used to be that way! The military changes us in different ways!

IMO this year's team would be better with JJJ than Haarms. This is the year we may be able to win a championship. Next year's team will not be a contender.

And JJJ completely changes the complection of the team and causes PJ to come off the bench. This team is better than last year's team because they needed a backup pg and an elite rim protector. Purdue lost one of the better boilermakers in their history, and yet ended up with better chemistry and a more complete roster. If Biggie came back or JJJ signed, Haarms wouldn't be on the floor doing what he is doing. They would be just like last year's team. Dang good, but still missing a piece or two. Also, If PJ was pushed to a backup, Eastern would be getting even fewer minutes and his size, defense, and rebounding would all be lost. Eastern will be crucial when March rolls around.

Even if Haarms still signed, keeping Biggie or signing JJJ would have completely changed the dynamic of the team, unless JJJ was coming off the bench. Then would JJJ be disgruntled? A distraction? Haarms isn't.

It's neither here nor there because it is impossible to prove or disprove. I feel this team is best with it's current roster compared to the other scenario. I don't see JJJ making it any better, even as good as he is, unless he was going to buy in and be willing to take a backup role. That wouldn't lead to being a one and done. If he bought in? Yes, he would in theory be better. No way to know though.

I love this team. I was high on this team before the season. I was one of the ones saying this team was at least a sweet 16 team and would give MSU a run for conference title. Didn't expect MSU to have two early stumbles, OSU to be as good, or Haarms and Eastern to have such an incredible impact. I was expecting Carsen to improve, and his improved decision making is turning him into an elite college player. Vince has thrived snagging up double doubles by the boatload and he has been a lot more consistent than in years past. I love the chemistry. We are ranked 3rd currently and I wouldn't change a thing.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I used to be that way! The military changes us in different ways!
I have two sons that are career military. I understand what you say, but neither of them have changed to where you appear to be. Both have multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. One has a mini-farm and spends his off-time gardening and one spends his off-time with rescue dogs. The military has actually caused them to mellow out.

And JJJ completely changes the complection of the team and causes PJ to come off the bench. This team is better than last year's team because they needed a backup pg and an elite rim protector. Purdue lost one of the better boilermakers in their history, and yet ended up with better chemistry and a more complete roster. If Biggie came back or JJJ signed, Haarms wouldn't be on the floor doing what he is doing. They would be just like last year's team. Dang good, but still missing a piece or two. Also, If PJ was pushed to a backup, Eastern would be getting even fewer minutes and his size, defense, and rebounding would all be lost. Eastern will be crucial when March rolls around.

Even if Haarms still signed, keeping Biggie or signing JJJ would have completely changed the dynamic of the team, unless JJJ was coming off the bench. Then would JJJ be disgruntled? A distraction? Haarms isn't.

It's neither here nor there because it is impossible to prove or disprove. I feel this team is best with it's current roster compared to the other scenario. I don't see JJJ making it any better, even as good as he is, unless he was going to buy in and be willing to take a backup role. That wouldn't lead to being a one and done. If he bought in? Yes, he would in theory be better. No way to know though.

I love this team. I was high on this team before the season. I was one of the ones saying this team was at least a sweet 16 team and would give MSU a run for conference title. Didn't expect MSU to have two early stumbles, OSU to be as good, or Haarms and Eastern to have such an incredible impact. I was expecting Carsen to improve, and his improved decision making is turning him into an elite college player. Vince has thrived snagging up double doubles by the boatload and he has been a lot more consistent than in years past. I love the chemistry. We are ranked 3rd currently and I wouldn't change a thing.
I'll agree to disagree.

I have two sons that are career military. I understand what you say, but neither of them have changed to where you appear to be. Both have multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. One has a mini-farm and spends his off-time gardening and one spends his off-time with rescue dogs. The military has actually caused them to mellow out.
I'm not a veteran but was raised among many vets in my family and spent every work day the past 18 years with them at a VA hospital. No two come out of the experience the same. Thankfully you have two good outcomes.

Reactions: AZBoilerFan

Why do folks get so wrapped up on who is the "5", who gets bumped to the "4", the "3", then the "2", etc.????

we need someone to run the team (the "point"). That's PJ or Nojel.

Beyond that, who gives a fat rat's arse?

If we have 4 who play the "3", or one of those 4 who play the "5" vs the others who play the "4, 3, 2"???

Really?

Just PLAY!

Match up and play.

Haarms will evolve into someone who will look like a "3". Book it. He'll drop out, hit a 3-pointer, then defend the other team's best player.

Who gives a d@mn?

Play!

This is all mute. Accusing posters/fans of being hypocrites is mute. No one expected Haarms to be what he is. No one thought JJJ would be as foul-prone. Most thought JT would be a force.

Hindsight is always 20-20 .... if we all waited to be sure, this forum would not exist. There are a ton of hypocrites around, but I don't think this situation fits that definition.

"moot". Not "mute".

I know I'm looking like the 'grammar nazi', but it's "moot". Let's get better. Please.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I was never able to release the tension! I

I don't know the statistics, but how successful are the 1-&-done's in the NBA, long-term? I have this nagging doubt about how well they do in terms of longevity. My suspicion is that they would be better served spending another year or so (1) understanding the game better (2) getting into better shape, and (3) refining their game. An extra year of coaching - with a coach that is known to develop their kids - might mean a far longer more productive NBA career.

For example, Romeo (the topic of this thread) might be best served if he planned on staying 2 years in school. He might also want to look hard at the development capability of any coach before committing. All these might be best, rather than simple going to a name school.

A lot of one and dones are total busts. Kyree Erving is not . Look at the Milwaukee Bucks picks. Neither Gianni's or thon maker went to college they drafted Brogden who was great but Alexander and Wilson who we're total busts. They drafted tractor traylor and pryzzybilla minn who were also experienced and total busts. They drafted big dog and Abdul jabber and ray Allen and moncrief and also Julius Ervin. On the other side, how is experienced players of the year doug mcbuckets doing and the guard from Kansas? Kansas Jackson has been a bust! There have been a lot of busts - look at the Pacers

I don't know the statistics, but how successful are the 1-&-done's in the NBA, long-term? I have this nagging doubt about how well they do in terms of longevity. My suspicion is that they would be better served spending another year or so (1) understanding the game better (2) getting into better shape, and (3) refining their game. An extra year of coaching - with a coach that is known to develop their kids - might mean a far longer more productive NBA career.

For example, Romeo (the topic of this thread) might be best served if he planned on staying 2 years in school. He might also want to look hard at the development capability of any coach before committing. All these might be best, rather than simple going to a name school.
Completely disagree. If you are good enough to be drafted in the 1st round (Romeo will be a top 10 pick), then you go 100% of the time.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
A lot of one and dones are total busts. Kyree Erving is not . Look at the Milwaukee Bucks picks. Neither Gianni's or thon maker went to college they drafted Brogden who was great but Alexander and Wilson who we're total busts. They drafted tractor traylor and pryzzybilla minn who were also experienced and total busts. They drafted big dog and Abdul jabber and ray Allen and moncrief and also Julius Ervin. On the other side, how is experienced players of the year doug mcbuckets doing and the guard from Kansas? Kansas Jackson has been a bust! There have been a lot of busts - look at the Pacers
It’s more to that list I found of rookies getting waived in G league or not playing at all. They taking money and run. Harty hiles out for good for the season hasn’t played a game yet. Look at rosters I️t will show u who is playing and who isn’t getting min at all it’s astonishing how many rookies not playing at all. Kentucky team with 8 all Americans won’t even make to sweet 16 they just long and athletic but not basketball players. They have hard time guarding man to man leads me to say some will enter draft may get picked but never really play. Bottom line many many of theses kids not ready to play in big boy league for example Markell fultz might be a bust when it’s all said and done with. Being an athlete is not enough now to play in the nba gotta have a skill set and many of these kids don’t. Experience will win championship not athletes Gonzaga Oregon South Carolina and NC was in final 4. Purdue literally cud go all the way this year even beating more athletic teams why bcuz the experience they have and done athletes who defend well can hold their own against a Kansas kentucky duke teams why Kentucky or duke can’t guard man to man they both play zone that will cause both teams problems. Rebound slow them down make them defend and shoot bcuz neither are good shooting teams we could win. But teams like villinova Gonzaga or other teams with experience will be a better matchup. I see final 4 this season like I said way b4 season began this team was gonna be good and now they showing it

Completely disagree. If you are good enough to be drafted in the 1st round (Romeo will be a top 10 pick), then you go 100% of the time.
He will not he hasn’t played one college game yet and I’m watching right now as we speak so many top 25 to 30 guys in 2017 class sitting on the bench in college not playing much or transferring bcuz could not cut I️t at this level. Look at box scores look at the list of top 100 players and tell me how many are playing right now and how they doing. A lot of hype players bcuz someone said a so and what he might be doing in HS is not what he will do against college age grown men. Don’t get confused over all Americans or the ranking of a Kentucky kid none won’t mean nothing till those all Americans step foot on a college campus. Kid at USC Charles obannon not getting any playing time was top 40 all American Jordan brand classic player and sitting on the bench. I have a list of them sitting on benches.

I've seen Romeo play in person several times, and will again tomor (game is on ESPN). I hate to see an IN kid leave the state, but I also don't want to see him in Crimson and Cream. Archie was at a game a month or so back (vs Floyd Central), and all Romeo's HS coaches will be sitting behind the IU bench for the vs PUR game.

He was a Louisville lean before their implosion. Now who knows. He is very hush hush. I hope he picks Vandy.

He's pretty good (duh). Painter visited him early.

Like you said, Kansas filled up. That's the reason Self cancelled his trip to see Romeo last week. (This is according to the insiders on the IU site)

edit; Self WAS there either last week or the week before. That's a fact.

Last edited:
Reactions: CMPurdue
I don't think I would under-estimate next year's team so quickly. With our returning players all working on their game all summer and having more experience and some of the new guys coming in, I think we will be pretty good next year. Will it be hard to match this year's team - sure, but I think we will still be a top 25 team and be a contender.

Reactions: Inspector100

There are a lot of busts out of the one-and -done group, but that is also where the best players in the league come from. Anthony Davis, Karl Anthony-Towns, Kevin Durant, Kyree Irving, John Wall, etc...

The counter-argument to the stay in school, get stronger/better mantra is that players can do that much more easily in the NBA, where they don't have to worry about anything else except basketball, with unlimited team resources geared towards improving players.

It would be interesting to maybe look at lottery picks from the start in the 1-and-done era (2008?) through maybe 2014, and see if any specific class (fresh, soph, jun, sen) performed better in the NBA.

Reactions: mathboy

I thought Haarms would be an impact. He was so tall and moved well for someone of that size. I'm wrong 80% of the time on this stuff so I will brag. So there. Tongue out.

Reactions: StickPurdue
He will not he hasn’t played one college game yet and I’m watching right now as we speak so many top 25 to 30 guys in 2017 class sitting on the bench in college not playing much or transferring bcuz could not cut I️t at this level. Look at box scores look at the list of top 100 players and tell me how many are playing right now and how they doing. A lot of hype players bcuz someone said a so and what he might be doing in HS is not what he will do against college age grown men. Don’t get confused over all Americans or the ranking of a Kentucky kid none won’t mean nothing till those all Americans step foot on a college campus. Kid at USC Charles obannon not getting any playing time was top 40 all American Jordan brand classic player and sitting on the bench. I have a list of them sitting on benches.
He's one of the best (if not the best) players to ever come out of Indiana. No matter where he goes next year he will be a top 10 pick. Go back and look at all the recent nba drafts. Almost all lottery picks are one and done players. We aren't talking about just a top 100 player. We are talking about a top 10 player and the best guard in the class. There is a big difference between a top 10 player and someone ranked 50+.

I've seen Romeo play in person several times, and will again tomor (game is on ESPN). I hate to see an IN kid leave the state, but I also don't want to see him in Crimson and Cream. Archie was at a game a month or so back (vs Floyd Central), and all Romeo's HS coaches will be sitting behind the IU bench for the vs PUR game.

He was a Louisville lean before their implosion. Now who knows. He is very hush hush. I hope he picks Vandy.

He's pretty good (duh). Painter visited him early.

edit; Self WAS there either last week or the week before. That's a fact.
Self was not there. He sent Howard (lead assistant) instead.

So Izzo’s tears actually backfired. (TIC)

He's one of the best (if not the best) players to ever come out of Indiana. No matter where he goes next year he will be a top 10 pick. Go back and look at all the recent nba drafts. Almost all lottery picks are one and done players. We aren't talking about just a top 100 player. We are talking about a top 10 player and the best guard in the class. There is a big difference between a top 10 player and someone ranked 50+.
We shall see time will tell time will tell

We shall see time will tell time will tell
We shall see only time will tell sir. Markell fultz #1 pick last years draft been hurt since season has started we shall see how he does this season. Not just getting to the league but having a long career in the league. Not hating on the kid I’m just staying my own personal opinion bcuz I’ve seen all these kids play and whatever you think his play in High School will be the same in college it will not he will have his struggles too. Again only time will tell.

We shall see only time will tell sir. Markell fultz #1 pick last years draft been hurt since season has started we shall see how he does this season. Not just getting to the league but having a long career in the league. Not hating on the kid I’m just staying my own personal opinion bcuz I’ve seen all these kids play and whatever you think his play in High School will be the same in college it will not he will have his struggles too. Again only time will tell.
Fultz signed a 50 million dollar contract at age 19, and you are questioning if he has been successful basketball player? That's more money than you or I will ever see in our lives.

Fultz signed a 50 million dollar contract at age 19, and you are questioning if he has been successful basketball player? That's more money than you or I will ever see in our lives.
No I’m not questioning him signing 50 million contract absolutely if you are picked to go 1st round Bennet comes to mind #1 draft pick back when turn out to be a bust it’s about 2nd contract money you want to live comfortabl the rest of your life. You take that money I’m simply saying mock drafts don’t mean anything till you prove your worth. My pint is till he proves his worth not what he doing in HS what he does in college only time will tell if he is a lottery pick Sir.

Reactions: mathboy
No I’m not questioning him signing 50 million contract absolutely if you are picked to go 1st round Bennet comes to mind #1 draft pick back when turn out to be a bust it’s about 2nd contract money you want to live comfortabl the rest of your life. You take that money I’m simply saying mock drafts don’t mean anything till you prove your worth. My pint is till he proves his worth not what he doing in HS what he does in college only time will tell if he is a lottery pick Sir.
All signs point towards Romeo being a very good college player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT