ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodFamilyCountryPurdue

All-American
Aug 5, 2014
I cannot stand Alabama or anything SEC. With that being said, I get chills watching this. I’m sure most of you have seen this all over social media lately. It would be awesome if in my lifetime we get this kind of fan base at Purdue.

Reactions: crazyboiler
They must have brought that back after Saban complained last week. It's a tradition that the school ended a few years ago due to the extra lyrics the students made up.

I was at this game! It was a blast. Really cool experience. Highly recommend checking out a game at Alabama if you can.

Work with a guy who's son was recruited by Brohm when he was at WKU. Said that Brohm's camp was second only to Saban's. Really high praise!

One thing I think would be cool if we adopted would be if we handed out black and gold shakers. People shake them pretty much the entire game and it looks really cool. They just have huge buckets of them as you're walking in.

Wow, so they have little brother syndrome too, huh? See the "Beat Auburn" in the middle of that? And if they're doing this at every game...well, clearly they are obsessed. TIC.

They piped in crowd noise to drown out the original saying **** AUBURN that got it banned. Was pretty hilarious.

Reactions: Swoosh13
And what song would we use? They have Dixie Land Delight. WVU has Country Roads. What classic folk/ballad is about trains?

GFCP, Do you have season tickets now and attend games?
I haven’t had season tickets for a couple years because most games interfere with my kids’ games. I usually go to any game that doesn’t conflict with that schedule. Do you want to tell me what kind of fan I am, now?

I would love to see Purdue get their hands on a massive old steam engine, have it fully restored, and then have railroad tracks that run through campus. On game days, the train would make its way through campus prior to games, with a small passenger car that would carry significant dignitaries and celebrities, have it followed by the all American marching band. The train Arrives in the south endzone of the stadium, stretched east & west across the endline just prior to the team taking the field. When we score touchdowns, it lets out a huge train whistle and huge plumes of steam.

Now THAT would be some tradition!

I would love to see Purdue get their hands on a massive old steam engine, have it fully restored, and then have railroad tracks that run through campus. On game days, the train would make its way through campus prior to games, with a small passenger car that would carry significant dignitaries and celebrities, have it followed by the all American marching band. The train Arrives in the south endzone of the stadium, stretched east & west across the endline just prior to the team taking the field. When we score touchdowns, it lets out a huge train whistle and huge plumes of steam.

But traditions can’t be started. They must already exist! (tic)

I agree with the train. Maybe not the whole campus tour idea only because it’s not really feasible. But I have said for a long time we need a Victorian era locomotive sitting outside the stadium that can roll into the SEZ during the game and blows steam when we score like at Minute Made Park in Houston. I’ll freely admit I don’t love the boilermaker special (but I do love the xtra special), though I see its purpose. A real train would be awesome.

I cannot stand Alabama or anything SEC. With that being said, I get chills watching this. I’m sure most of you have seen this all over social media lately. It would be awesome if in my lifetime we get this kind of fan base at Purdue.
I’m a Purdue alum and fan through and through but my wife is from Alabama and a 5th generation grad of Alabama. I’ve been to Tuscaloosa to many a game and there is absolutely no comparison to anything in the Big10 (including Michigan and OSU) Dixieland Delight sends chills down your spine with 100k singing in unison....it is pretty awesome

I’m a Purdue alum and fan through and through but my wife is from Alabama and a 5th generation grad of Alabama. I’ve been to Tuscaloosa to many a game and there is absolutely no comparison to anything in the Big10 (including Michigan and OSU) Dixieland Delight sends chills down your spine with 100k singing in unison....it is pretty awesome

I was once at a PSU whiteout. I can't imagine anything beating that.

Reactions: Bully4OldPurdue
I haven’t had season tickets for a couple years because most games interfere with my kids’ games. I usually go to any game that doesn’t conflict with that schedule. Do you want to tell me what kind of fan I am, now?

I recall several years ago, in response to me and some others encouraging fans to attend games to support the team, you boasted that you were smarter (than us) to park it in your barcalounger and watch from home, cause it was cheaper and more convenient. So roll your eyes and "oh brother" it all you like, but recognize that we'll never see the Purdue fan base you think it would be awesome to see at some point in your life time, if Purdue fans don't get off the sofa and attend games. The fact that there are still tons of tickets available for Iowa and Wisky says a lot about why it will be difficult for Purdue to retain Brohm.

There’s nothing creepier than 100k rednecks doing anything in unison.

Jesus, Alabama didn’t have its first African American football player until 1971. In 1970, those 100k rednecks were celebrating segregation in unison.

Reactions: patj11288
I recall several years ago, in response to me and some others encouraging fans to attend games to support the team, you boasted that you were smarter (than us) to park it in your barcalounger and watch from home, cause it was cheaper and more convenient. So roll your eyes and "oh brother" it all you like, but recognize that we'll never see the Purdue fan base you think it would be awesome to see at some point in your life time, if Purdue fans don't get off the sofa and attend games. The fact that there are still tons of tickets available for Iowa and Wisky says a lot about why it will be difficult for Purdue to retain Brohm.
I probably said I’d rather stay at home so I wouldn’t have to listen to wannabe football experts sitting around me. Several years ago, huh? You’ve been bothered by that for several years? Sorry. Like I said, back then I’m assuming I had season tickets. I’ve had them most years.

Jesus, Alabama didn’t have its first African American football player until 1971. In 1970, those 100k rednecks were celebrating segregation in unison.
Thanks asshole.... gotta bring your liberal political arrogant bullshit here in almost ever single thread you write don’t you!? I’m from Alabama and for you to judge anything is a farce- do you know me or my family or who we are??? No you’re just an insecure little piss ass social justice wannabe... get over yourself please and keep the board to relevant “sports topics”

I probably said I’d rather stay at home so I wouldn’t have to listen to wannabe football experts sitting around me. Several years ago, huh? You’ve been bothered by that for several years? Sorry. Like I said, back then I’m assuming I had season tickets. I’ve had them most years.
No, I haven't been bothered by it. But I have a good memory and thought it was ironic to see this thread started by someone who doesn't even attend games. I'm all for it, more Purdue fans in the stands, that is, but it starts at home, with each of us individually, rather than wishing others would put their money where our mouth is.

Such a hater. At least recognize good football when you see it. And btw, Bama was the first team in the SEC to have an African American player. And they don’t lose to Eastern Michigan

Reactions: NYProf
"Hey guys! Wouldn't it be neat if a song was played, and the stadium yelled derogatory things about our rivals during it? It'd send chills down your spine."

"'IU SUCKS' is immature, and makes us seem like we have little brother syndrome."

Btw, a horrible song being piped over the PA will give about as many chills as "Shout."

Reactions: DamienSandow

I Absolutely love this idea and I will have to say that I posted this many years ago!! Great minds think alike!

Reactions: woggy718
"Hey guys! Wouldn't it be neat if a song was played, and the stadium yelled derogatory things about our rivals during it? It'd send chills down your spine."

"'IU SUCKS' is immature, and makes us seem like we have little brother syndrome."

Btw, a horrible song being piped over the PA will give about as many chills as "Shout."
Ahhhh Another self righteous tool - go back to your day job

I was at this game! It was a blast. Really cool experience. Highly recommend checking out a game at Alabama if you can.

Work with a guy who's son was recruited by Brohm when he was at WKU. Said that Brohm's camp was second only to Saban's. Really high praise!

One thing I think would be cool if we adopted would be if we handed out black and gold shakers. People shake them pretty much the entire game and it looks really cool. They just have huge buckets of them as you're walking in.
I really hate the pompom idea. My wife gets hers out for big Alabama games and she calls it a shaker. It’s a damn Pom Pom!
Her family has season tickets to Alabama games every year and I’ve been to a couple. It’s about two and a half hours from my house. Their stadium is huge and really nice. Makes Ross-Ade look like a high school stadium. I don’t think the game day stuff was any better than most places like that. Penn State, Michigan, and Ohio State are just as good and better sometimes. Some of the crazier places I’ve been are Penn State and Virginia Tech.
Football in Alabama is on another level though. It can be fun, and luckily there are almost as many big ten fans as SEC fans where I work.

I’d like a huge train - something that can’t be ignored. The field parts and train tracks come up. And it’s a ghost version of the old dead boilers. And we are singing freebird and yelling at Auburn.

No thanks.

Go Purdue!!

Such a hater. At least recognize good football when you see it. And btw, Bama was the first team in the SEC to have an African American player. And they don’t lose to Eastern Michigan
Not true, UK integrated SEC football in 1967. Bama didn't integrate its football team until 1971.

Reactions: mk_peters
Not true, UK integrated SEC football in 1967. Bama didn't integrate its football team until 1971.

Well, the reason is Kentucky had a black player abused in practice that died a week earlier.

“A week before the Kentucky vs Mississippi contest, Northington started in the Wildcats season opener against Indiana in Bloomington, In. Although it marked the first time an SEC team took the field with a black player in the starting roster. Despite the milestone, the day was a dark one. The Wildcats lost 12-10 and Northington dislocated his shoulder (later that week the team would bury the squads other black player, Greg Page, who died from injuries he received in fall practice).”

It was a huge deal at the time and the SEC denied Kentucky the integration honor after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT