ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue BBall has the Worst Fan Base in College Basketball

Feb 25, 2010
The absolute Worst... I have one question Purdue has a game at #23 Alabama and a game against #2 Arizona both in December. What will this miserable fan base say if Purdue wins both of those games?

Ohhh and BTW I was in the Mousetrap Bar in Indianapolis a few weeks ago and AJ Hammons was in the bar. Got to sit with him for around 15 minutes discussing basketball. AJ Hammons (he lives in Fort Harrison area NE Indianapolis) told me Matt Painter is a REALLY GOOD COACH. I was telling AJ getting in the NCAA Tournament is basically a lottery ticket and the Purdue fan base trashing Painter out of frustration is pathetic. AJ didn't disagree... AJ Hammons as we all know was never the most motivated player. However meeting AJ Hammons he was very cool. Sat there and bs'd with me for 15 minutes about Purdue BBall.

Last edited:
it's the iu and ky effect (and many others). Winning creates expectations. Fans that wrap too much of their identity in their sports team will be very unhappy and whine like little babies when their team loses.
They will blame the coach, the players, the referees, etc etc
Think of a toddler screaming at the top of their lungs, face bright red = the team bashers here.
One of the top 10 teams for 3 straight years and all they do is whine when the team isn't PERFECT.
Maybe try to stop and sniff a pretty fine flower once in awhile when the sun is actually shining!
Pitiful

That we are happy to have the wins and that we also should have beaten a pretty bad Northwestern team who had a lot of their key guys in foul trouble all night.
Northwestern is not even close to a pretty bad team. Keep telling yourself that so you can feel good about feeling miserable. Purdue was favored by 5.5 points heading into this game. That’s not a line you see for the number one ranked team against a “pretty bad team”. For reference, Purdue was 16.5 point favorites against Xavier and 5.5 point favorites against Gonzaga.

The absolute Worst... I have one question Purdue has a game at #23 Alabama and a game against #2 Arizona both in December. What will this miserable fan base say if Purdue wins both of those games?

Ohhh and BTW I was in the Mousetrap Bar in Indianapolis a few weeks ago and AJ Hammons was in the bar. Got to sit with him for around 15 minutes discussing basketball. AJ Hammons (he lives in Fort Harrison area NE Indianapolis) told me Matt Painter is a REALLY GOOD COACH. I was telling AJ getting in the NCAA Tournament is basically a lottery ticket and the Purdue fan base trashing Painter out of frustration is pathetic. AJ didn't disagree... AJ Hammons as we all know was never the most motivated player. However meeting AJ Hammons he was very cool. Sat there and bs'd with me for 15 minutes about Purdue BBall.
the fanbase is no worse than nd's. When Kelley was your football coach alot on your board didn;t care for him because he'd get nd so far but did win alot

A pretty bad team you lost to twice. Northwestern players got fouls called on them if they breathe in Edeys direction. Edey is talented and a great college player. Braden Smith is quick and is developing into an elite guard but the rest of the team is Meh. NU has more scoring options and a much better defensive team. Buie is an elite player but Barnhizer, Langborg and Ty Berry are all skilled wing players.

A pretty bad team you lost to twice. Northwestern players got fouls called on them if they breathe in Edeys direction. Edey is talented and a great college player. Braden Smith is quick and is developing into an elite guard but the rest of the team is Meh. NU has more scoring options and a much better defensive team. Buie is an elite player but Barnhizer, Langborg and Ty Berry are all skilled wing players.
From that description it sounds like you actually think NW is a better team than PU? If so, what do you think their respective records will be in the B1G?

U will finish 4 games at least behind us in the BT.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
it's the iu and ky effect (and many others). Winning creates expectations. Fans that wrap too much of their identity in their sports team will be very unhappy and whine like little babies when their team loses.
They will blame the coach, the players, the referees, etc etc
Think of a toddler screaming at the top of their lungs, face bright red = the team bashers here.
One of the top 10 teams for 3 straight years and all they do is whine when the team isn't PERFECT.
Maybe try to stop and sniff a pretty fine flower once in awhile when the sun is actually shining!
Pitiful
Winning in March would solve a lot of the issues.

You are letting the win go to your head. It was a nice win for Northwestern, from your post it reads like you think that Northwestern is a better team than Purdue. Northwestern was great last night. Just appreciate it.

Northwestern is a good team that played like a top 10 team in the nation last night. They made every shot they had to and made enough defensive adjustments to slow purdues offense down in the 2nd half. Even with northwestern basically playing a perfect offensive 2nd half, if purdue can stop the turnovers they win.

The team execpt for Edey choked in the 2nd half including painter.

I would enjoy seeing Purdue be great in March, not November

Northwestern is a good team that played like a top 10 team in the nation last night. They made every shot they had to and made enough defensive adjustments to slow purdues offense down in the 2nd half. Even with northwestern basically playing a perfect offensive 2nd half, if purdue can stop the turnovers they win.

The team execpt for Edey choked in the 2nd half including painter.
Also, most teams don't have Buie.

Nah. Buckle up for another conference title and 2nd round or sweet 16 exit in the NCAA tourney. Same achilles heel as last year with this team.

You are letting the win go to your head. It was a nice win for Northwestern, from your post it reads like you think that Northwestern is a better team than Purdue. Northwestern was great last night. Just appreciate it.
Very few believe NW wins at Mackey or at a neutral site. They left it all on the floor and hit some big shots. Purdue can play a lot better…can NW?

Very few believe NW wins at Mackey or at a neutral site. They left it all on the floor and hit some big shots. Purdue can play a lot better…can NW?
They absolutely could do better on rebounds and 3 points. Defense is almost always a strength. Not saying NU is better than PU, but it's upper echelon in the B1G, not a fluke at this point. I would expect PU to win the return match on its home court, but I'd also expect NU to make them work for it.

To be fair half the people complaining are iu or other trolls just stirring the pot. Open free message board so you take the good with the bad.

They absolutely could do better on rebounds and 3 points. Defense is almost always a strength. Not saying NU is better than PU, but it's upper echelon in the B1G, not a fluke at this point. I would expect PU to win the return match on its home court, but I'd also expect NU to make them work for it.
I'm unsure they can play better overall. That was a great 3pt% and quantity of 3s as well. I have no idea where they will finish in the big, but they and many other Big teams will make Purdue work for a W. Who knows...they will get one more shot at Purdue and maybe two. We do know that the players believe they can beat Purdue.

Great story about Hammons.

But I reject your premise about Purdue fans.....which btw was not supported at all in your post.

I think we have great fans as supported by sold out games the whole season.

Last edited:
Northwestern is not even close to a pretty bad team. Keep telling yourself that so you can feel good about feeling miserable. Purdue was favored by 5.5 points heading into this game. That’s not a line you see for the number one ranked team against a “pretty bad team”. For reference, Purdue was 16.5 point favorites against Xavier and 5.5 point favorites against Gonzaga.
Purdue has shown that they can beat very good teams, but they also have a penchant for playing down to their competition and losing to bad teams. I know there are some people in here defending Northwestern, but the truth is they’re going to finish in the bottom half of a weak big ten and outside of Buie, none of their guys get minutes on this Purdue team. I congratulate them on the win, but don’t pretend that this was something new that Northwestern showed us and we just have to tip our cap to the better team. This was another second half meltdown to add to a collection of second half meltdowns. I’m not miserable about it, nor am I saying the sky is falling. I would really just like to see some adjustments for what feels like the same things we are seeing year after year.

Reactions: slydog52
Purdue has shown that they can beat very good teams, but they also have a penchant for playing down to their competition and losing to bad teams. I know there are some people in here defending Northwestern, but the truth is they’re going to finish in the bottom half of a weak big ten and outside of Buie, none of their guys get minutes on this Purdue team. I congratulate them on the win, but don’t pretend that this was something new that Northwestern showed us and we just have to tip our cap to the better team. This was another second half meltdown to add to a collection of second half meltdowns. I’m not miserable about it, nor am I saying the sky is falling. I would really just like to see some adjustments for what feels like the same things we are seeing year after year.
I don’t see it as a second half meltdown as much as Northwestern had life and once they got in the mode of the underdog hunter, they played at a higher level than Purdue. I felt like this game was lost in the last few minutes of the first half and the first few minutes of the second half, when Purdue let Northwestern back in the game. A lot has been made of the 17-3 turnover ratio, and rightly so, but Northwestern was also 10-20 from 3 and seemed to gain confidence as the game went on, while Purdue was 5-19 after a quick start. That’s a huge swing. Northwestern had guys hitting threes who are not three point shooters. If Northwestern goes 7-20 and Purdue goes 6-19, it is a completely different ball game. The point is, that you can’t give a team life in that situation when you have the target on your back and you are playing on the road. If you do, you can still win, but you are going to have to execute at a high level to do so.

Northwestern, but the truth is they’re going to finish in the bottom half of a weak big ten and outside of Buie, none of their guys get minutes on this Purdue team.

Bottom half? No.

I have NW anywhere from 3rd to 6th this year and a possible tourney team. The higher 3/4 is if they can win on the road consistently a few times more than they lose........which I doubt.

5/6more likely. Buie All Big Ten first team.

There are no solutions, just trade-offs. Which trade-offs would you like to see?

Reactions: mathboy
I don’t see it as a second half meltdown as much as Northwestern had life and once they got in the mode of the underdog hunter, they played at a higher level than Purdue. I felt like this game was lost in the last few minutes of the first half and the first few minutes of the second half, when Purdue let Northwestern back in the game. A lot has been made of the 17-3 turnover ratio, and rightly so, but Northwestern was also 10-20 from 3 and seemed to gain confidence as the game went on, while Purdue was 5-19 after a quick start. That’s a huge swing. Northwestern had guys hitting threes who are not three point shooters. If Northwestern goes 7-20 and Purdue goes 6-19, it is a completely different ball game. The point is, that you can’t give a team life in that situation when you have the target on your back and you are playing on the road. If you do, you can still win, but you are going to have to execute at a high level to do so.
Yes, Purdue relaxed after the lead in the first half. That was key. Purdue thought they proved they were different this year and relaxed with maybe 30 minutes to go thinking NW would die, but this was a HUGE game for NW and they were not going to fold. Do you realize how much of a unicorn you are and will be if you start to provide reasons for such and such instead of a generalized opinion. What many forget is that there are NO solutions...just trade-offs and you rarely see anyone break down the trade-offs...rarely past a generality if at all.

I’m willing to guess they finish top half

Nah. Buckle up for another conference title and 2nd round or sweet 16 exit in the NCAA tourney. Same achilles heel as last year with this team.
Why don't you find a better team to root for?
Seems like you'd be happier.
Maybe just pick the #1 team each year and go with them.........
oops........

Why don't you find a better team to root for?
Seems like you'd be happier.
Maybe just pick the #1 team each year and go with them.........
oops........
Who says I’m unhappy? The success of a basketball team doesn’t dictate my happiness. I’m just calling it like I see it. Hopefully, I’m proven wrong!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT