ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern at Purdue: MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

Yeah but I was originally talking about the one that did get called and Berry made 3 FTs. 37 seconds left in reg. Went from up 2 to down 1.
Right that's what I thought. Never saw a good angle. Braden might have made contact but didn't see the point of Morton jumping toward him on the ground. Just a chance to roll into his feet and make contact with no chance to change the shot.

Yeah but I was originally talking about the one that did get called and Berry made 3 FTs. 37 seconds left in reg. Went from up 2 to down 1.

Thought that's where Purdue might lose the game on that exchange. Zach Edey gets the basket and foul - misses the FT's, and as you state - Berry makes three FT's. The other big play before that was with Purdue down five and Lance Jones makes a huge three.....just over two minutes left. Boilers were on the brink there. Game was a roller coaster and easily could have gone either way a number of times.

b0132543-ccc9-4c4e-a8ce-76eabe8b12d6_text.gif

They were leaning and pushing with their body on Zach every possession and I wonder how much of that wore Zach down and contributed to his misses. I think they hit 2 or 3 3s on last second shot and until the fouling started at the end I think they shot better from the 3 than Purdue did from the line
he missed free throws all game as did most everyone else except gillis. i kept yelling for painter to take out tkr and put in mason. gillis is a better offensive player and free throw shooter while getting tough rebounds. he would be my choice to start over tkr.

It's not hard. We play inside/out and they play outside/in. We are going to get more calls. We have a 7'4" 300lb beast that gets great position. Every team has a foul problem against us. I can remember when Shaq shot 31 ft's in a game.
add to that they have 3 5s that are not needed on offense and hack a zach makes a lot of sense. They would gladly reduce Purdue's 5 and compare the other four. It appeared to me that part of Matt's game plan was to NOT put them at the line based upon what I saw relative to 2 pt shots. I don't always trust my eyes from the stands on particulars since I'm fighting dry eyes, but there really wasn't an aggressive contend on 2 pt shots and we know shooting 3s should not get fouls...part of my posts in the past that shooting 3s does not draw fouls and replace pieces. They were hot behind the arc though.

early in the game in front of NW's bench they were holding Fletch really obvious and I couldn't believe he never got a call and then the same defender (think it was Barnhizer) came up and really gave a shove to Zach to get around him. It was very physical and no call. Towards the end of the game I mention to the guy on my left that Purdue has no fouls and it could work against them if they have to send NW to the line since NW was ahead. A bit later Purdue had 4 which worked out GREAT.

Purdue had 2 TOs left and he was wanting Caleb to replace Zach on D thinking that Purdue needed a bit more quickness to handle Boo or Berry if needed. I told him I think Zach stays on teh court, not that his idea was lacking merit just that you also need Zach on teh court on O and you might not be able to sub him without using one of those TOs...which Purdue used one if not both a bit fuzzy there, but think Purdue only used one and Matt probably figured he might need it later. Another roll the dice and hope it works out... ;)

Reactions: Poprudy
Really? You want to play the team that nearly swept us and took borderline luck to win at home?

I would rather not see them again this year, they have our number.
Purdue is just a bad matchup. That said, they shoot more normal behind the arc and Purdue shoot more normal at the line and it is a double digit win in regulation probably

he missed free throws all game as did most everyone else except gillis. i kept yelling for painter to take out tkr and put in mason. gillis is a better offensive player and free throw shooter while getting tough rebounds. he would be my choice to start over tkr.
He took him out due to him and Zach missing Fts and wasn't going to take zach out. Matt liked what Trey was doing a LOT, but realized he came up empty at the line and knew how critical Fts would be. Even Braden missed FTs and he is almost automatic there

He took him out due to him and Zach missing Fts and wasn't going to take zach out. Matt liked what Trey was doing a LOT, but realized he came up empty at the line and knew how critical Fts would be. Even Braden missed FTs and he is almost automatic there
speaking of Gillis, I wouldn't mind him sticking around for another year and have someone like Furst ( 1 yr left) transfer out.

Reactions: mryankee2397
speaking of Gillis, I wouldn't mind him sticking around for another year and have someone like Furst ( 1 yr left) transfer out.
Matt seems to know his scholly situation. What I wonder and not intended to start a rumor is how many hours does Purdue have applicable to med school for Caleb after taking classes for four years? FWIW, I posted or attempted before the forum shut down a post while in Mackey that Caleb was shooting some right handed jump hooks before the game. I have never caught that before, but I generally look on the perimeter during warmups

Collins crying was funny . Really a 42-8 discrepancy in foul shots . 4 came after game was over cause of technicals . And his game plan was to foul Edey everytime and see how many the reds will call

Reactions: mryankee2397
Smith is only shooting 76% at the line . Why ? Tired legs ? Lack of concentration ? He needs to be in the 85 neighborhood like last year. Plays a great floor game but free throws count

Collins crying was funny . Really a 42-8 discrepancy in foul shots . 4 came after game was over cause of technicals . And his game plan was to foul Edey everytime and see how many the reds will call
FTs are a meaningless stat when trying to understand the refs calls on fouls. Start with foul counting to get a better look. Purdue had 15 fouls on Purdue and NW had 31. Pretty easy to see a team that is shooting threes versus a team looking inside. If you ever see this in a different game it will be the same reason. Some of that difference is also reduced due to some late fouling by NW to try to get back in the game. One foul for Purdue was in that situation as well by lance. 21 out of the 31 fouls and remember that 31 contained intentional fouls to stop the clock were called on 4 and 5 players spots for NW. The comments about Zach fouling out your front court was again pretty true

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT