ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern at Purdue: MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

Look for Loyer to have a monster game @ home, and then maybe not so much @ Wisky. Jones a key in both games to support our big 2 & guard the heck out of guys.

Morton likely a bigger than normal minute player @ Wisky guarding Klessmit. Hope I can handle watching the offense when he is out there. Might drive me nuts. Lol.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Look for Loyer to have a monster game @ home, and then maybe not so much @ Wisky. Jones a key in both games to support our big 2 & guard the heck out of guys.

Morton likely a bigger than normal minute player @ Wisky guarding Klessmit. Hope I can handle watching the offense when he is out there. Might drive me nuts. Lol.
Watch out for Northwestern’s defensive scheme of having Coach Collins guard Fletch on that end of the floor…dude has slow feet and grabs a lot, so hope it doesn’t impact Fletch’s play at all 😏

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. This evening, it will be the Northwestern Wildcats (15-5; 6-3) visiting Mackey Arena to take on the #2-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (19-2; 8-2) in a key conference tilt. Tip is scheduled for approximately 6:30 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on the Big Ten Network.

Projected Starting Line-ups:

Northwestern - Matthew Nicholson, Ty Berry, Brooks Barnhizer, Ryan Langborg, and Boo Buie

Purdue - Zach Edey, Trey Kaufman-Renn, Lance Jones, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

This is the second match-up for these two teams, as Northwestern won the conference opener 92-88 in overtime back in December. Purdue had no answer for Boo Buie (who had 31 points in 43 minutes), and Northwestern's ability to make shots from long-range combined with the Boilers' propensity to turn the ball over erased a double-digit deficit. Lance Jones fouling out late in the game probably sealed Purdue's fate in that contest.

On the season, Northwestern is averaging 74.4 points per game on 47.4% shooting (6th Big Ten), 38.1% shooting on 3-pt FG's (2nd Big Ten), and 75.2% from the free throw line (3rd Big Ten). Boo Buie is the offensive leader this season, averaging 18.5 points per game while contributing 3.4 rebounds, 5.3 assists, and 1.4 steals. Brooks Barnhizer leads the Wildcats on the glass, averaging 6.6 rebounds per game while recording 14.7 points and 2.9 assists. Defensively, Northwester is 5th in the conference, giving up 68.2 points per game while allowing opponents to shoot 44.3% (35.8% from beyond the arc).

Purdue's recent struggles with Nortwestern, especially the last couple of contests, have primarily been turnovers and the inability to defend the arc in key possessions. Boo Buie has also been lethal in ball-screen action against the Boilers. Lance Jones will have his work cut out, but that match-up will be a big indicator of how Purdue may fare in the re-match. Purdue still has a decided advantage inside, so look for Purdue to try and establish him early.

Braden Smith had 6 of Purdue's 17 turnovers last time.....he and the rest of his teammates definitely need to clean that up this time around - if they do, Northwestern will be hard-pressed to come out victorious. Purdue also had a decided edge on the glass last game but really struggled from long-range in the second half.....IF they can shoot somewhere more near the season average and maintain a decent edge with the boards, they will be in really good shape.

This is a big game for both squads in order to keep pace with conference leader Wisconsin, where Purdue travels to this weekend. Can the Boilers keep the momentum on track and avenge the earlier loss? We shall see, starting in a few hours.

Boiler Up, my friends....

i
i

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. This evening, it will be the Northwestern Wildcats (15-5; 6-3) visiting Mackey Arena to take on the #2-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (19-2; 8-2) in a key conference tilt. Tip is scheduled for approximately 6:30 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on the Big Ten Network.

Northwestern - Matthew Nicholson, Ty Berry, Brooks Barnhizer, Ryan Langborg, and Boo Buie

Purdue - Zach Edey, Trey Kaufman-Renn, Lance Jones, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

This is the second match-up for these two teams, as Northwestern won the conference opener 92-88 in overtime back in December. Purdue had no answer for Boo Buie (who had 31 points in 43 minutes), and Northwestern's ability to make shots from long-range combined with the Boilers' propensity to turn the ball over erased a double-digit deficit. Lance Jones fouling out late in the game probably sealed Purdue's fate in that contest.

On the season, Northwestern is averaging 74.4 points per game on 47.4% shooting (6th Big Ten), 38.1% shooting on 3-pt FG's (2nd Big Ten), and 75.2% from the free throw line (3rd Big Ten). Boo Buie is the offensive leader this season, averaging 18.5 points per game while contributing 3.4 rebounds, 5.3 assists, and 1.4 steals. Brooks Barnhizer leads the Wildcats on the glass, averaging 6.6 rebounds per game while recording 14.7 points and 2.9 assists. Defensively, Northwester is 5th in the conference, giving up 68.2 points per game while allowing opponents to shoot 44.3% (35.8% from beyond the arc).

Purdue's recent struggles with Nortwestern, especially the last couple of contests, have primarily been turnovers and the inability to defend the arc in key possessions. Boo Buie has also been lethal in ball-screen action against the Boilers. Lance Jones will have his work cut out, but that match-up will be a big indicator of how Purdue may fare in the re-match. Purdue still has a decided advantage inside, so look for Purdue to try and establish him early.

Braden Smith had 6 of Purdue's 17 turnovers last time.....he and the rest of his teammates definitely need to clean that up this time around - if they do, Northwestern will be hard-pressed to come out victorious. Purdue also had a decided edge on the glass last game but really struggled from long-range in the second half.....IF they can shoot somewhere more near the season average and maintain a decent edge with the boards, they will be in really good shape.

This is a big game for both squads in order to keep pace with conference leader Wisconsin, where Purdue travels to this weekend. Can the Boilers keep the momentum on track and avenge the earlier loss? We shall see, starting in a few hours.

i
i
Let Boo get his and stop the other four. Simple and effective.

i
i
There are some on here who would suggest sit Smith or Loyer and start Colvin. But then, there's that tricky little thing called defense

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I have my favorite recliner safely immobilized. Drinking Jack and Cokes from Avon. I’m ready. Let’s go Boilers!!!

i
i
Mason on fire. Catching ball on move and shooting. Fletch off so far a little flatter shot than usual. Lance hitting on baseline. Myles hitting and Braden. Cam so so on makes . Caleb shooting jump hook over his LEFT shoulder on baseline. Got here a little bit later. Couldn’t find Dave Shellhase to sign his book.

You got to love this essentially one hour of Purdue pregame. Now, let’s win this game!!

Just to pass it on. I feel fine, don’t think Purdue is going to have an issue in this one. I am typically have elevated BP by now

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT