ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern at Purdue: MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

The game can be looked at differently. Our guards continually got beat off the dribble, we needed a ton of ft's or we missed a ton of ft's and they needed to shoot lights out. Bottom line....we got the W.
They hit over 50% of threes and some of those were tough ass shots where our guards and team played great defense and they had to chuck up a 3 at the end to beat the shot clock and made it.

Really? You want to play the team that nearly swept us and took borderline luck to win at home?

I would rather not see them again this year, they have our number.

100% I want to see them again! Of course! Playing good teams that shoot lights out get's you more ready for March. Plus it's a fun game to watch, no?

I don’t want to see them solely so Zach isn’t injured or hurting from playing them. Their strategy was hack a Zach (worked cuz he didn’t hit FTs) and dare refs to call the fouls. They called a good amount but still missed a bunch.

Also love that Collins went at Courtney Greene. Just told him what we all want to tell him…that he sucks at his job
They were leaning and pushing with their body on Zach every possession and I wonder how much of that wore Zach down and contributed to his misses. I think they hit 2 or 3 3s on last second shot and until the fouling started at the end I think they shot better from the 3 than Purdue did from the line

Last edited:
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
They hit over 50% of threes and some of those were tough ass shots where our guards and team played great defense and they had to chuck up a 3 at the end to beat the shot clock and made it.
I wouldn't say all of those 3's were with great D or even getting into the paint against us. Yes, did they hit some great shots....sure, but there were a ton of plays were our defender got lost. They have great offensive guards and have that ability. Let's not make this something it wasn't.

I'm just glad we won. This isn't something new against us. We have had problems with good offensive guards but it's usually a loss. Once again, I'm just glad we won.

Last edited:
I will have to watch his press conference. But I think he thought the game was over and he was going to get his pound of flesh for the whole game. I could be wrong, but I don't think it was over one call.

Could be....like Painter with his one ejection @ Illinois years ago. All he needed was a chair..... haha.

100% I want to see them again! Of course! Playing good teams that shoot lights out get's you more ready for March. Plus it's a fun game to watch, no?
I don’t want to expend that kind of energy on the Sunday before the NCAA tournament.

Would rather lose on Friday or Saturday.

Reactions: Schnelk
Could be....like Painter with his one ejection @ Illinois years ago. All he needed was a chair..... haha.
They started riding the refs the first timeout trying to let it be more physical inside. The best defense against Zach is physical play it makes it harder to make baskets and wears him down.. Boo never got the floaters he usually gets as Purdue tried to bottle him up and appeared to keep him more on the left side of the court

It's not hard. We play inside/out and they play outside/in. We are going to get more calls. We have a 7'4" 300lb beast that gets great position. Every team has a foul problem against us. I can remember when Shaq shot 31 ft's in a game.

I looked at the "hook" on Jones and it definitely was a kick out of the knee. His heel was lifted because he couldn't set it.

My overall take on this game:

We took Northwestern's absolute best shot and won. We had TONS of shots at the rim roll off the rim, including 2 on the same possession in the second half. We still won. We missed 17 Free Throws, including at least 2 (I couldn't watch the first half) front ends, so really that's 19 misses. We still won.

On to Wisconsin.

Meanwhile a top-10 team is about to lose a home game to an unranked fringe tournament team in overtime.

Not very common, but it happens.

I thought you were referring to that last 3 where there was no call. Just saw you said foul...my bad.

My overall take on this game:

We took Northwestern's absolute best shot and won. We had TONS of shots at the rim roll off the rim, including 2 on the same possession in the second half. We still won. We missed 17 Free Throws, including at least 2 (I couldn't watch the first half) front ends, so really that's 19 misses. We still won.

On to Wisconsin.

One of the front end misses in the first half (ZE) ended up with a Gillis rebound foul, and Gillis converted the two FT's.....

Zach Edey just had one of those nights....and he missed short, long, sideways......every which way. TKR looked like he had no confidence with his. I like Lance Jones' form tonight - he's going to probably be one that will get fouled at the end of games down the line.....

Good gut check kind of game with a little good fortune too. Nice to see the Boilers get some payback from Northwestern.

Reactions: Schnelk and Poprudy
ZE could have had a 40/15 game and it didn't even seem possible. Man, he gets points and rebounds in bunches.

Reactions: 02BoilerUp
I wouldn't say all of those 3's were with great D or even getting into the paint against us. Yes, did they hit some great shots....sure, but there were a ton of plays were our defender got lost. They have great offensive guards and have that ability. Let's not make this something it wasn't.

I'm just glad we won. This isn't something new against us. We have had problems with good offensive guards but it's usually a loss. Once again, I'm just glad we won.
We have lost twice this year and once was to this team and the other to a team that shot over 60% from 3. And I’ll give you Berry hit some wide open ones, but they also hit a decent amount of not just tough 3s but tough 2s too, let’s not try to say they didn’t. Sometimes in basketball a guy is just feeling it and is just on. Other times they are just off…This team has also shot 27% from 3 and Nebraska shot horrible the next two games after us.

Whats more impressive to me is that we almost shot 50% from 3. We continue to hit the 3 balll (for the most part)…at least a whole lot bette than last year.

We have problems with good offensive guards because we only have one guy who can guard them and he wasn’t here last year. This year is way better than last year. Hopefully, smith (good off ball defender), loyer (somehow), Colvin (somehow), Heide (improving) and Harris and maybe even cox can be better than what we have been this year and last.

Carsen and the E8 ended with Minnesota beating us In the quarters so not the end of the world and no reason to have those guys beat up Zach with awful B1G refs not calling anything.

Step 1: Get the ball inbounds.
Step 2: Make the FTs.

You never want to throw it in to the corner, especially right at their bench.
Obviously.

But - When you know step 2 isn’t likely, you start looking for any other option.

And step 1 is Mason not throwing a bad pass into the corner to begin with, putting us in that situation, where Fletch can’t move.

Obviously.

But - When you know step 2 isn’t likely, you start looking for any other option.

And step 1 is Mason not throwing a bad pass into the corner to begin with, putting us in that situation, where Fletch can’t move.
The one thing that Braden does at least once is go to the corner on the press. Like dude, stop that. You know better. I hope we have some better inbounding plays against the press for the tourney. We have done well though against it all year. I’d assume Matt is saving some for then.

I will have to watch his press conference. But I think he thought the game was over and he was going to get his pound of flesh for the whole game. I could be wrong, but I don't think it was over one call.
Maybe, he was frustrated, I’m fine with it, he shook hands with Painter, gave Edey a hug etc.

Reactions: Abugabby
Correct, however, we had fans on here bitching about the refs, that’s the nature of these things, it’s always the refs fault when things go bad. I thought the refs were fine, they blew a few both ways, Purdue got some home cooking, happens on every home court gym.
The no-call on the hook-and-hold on Edey was absolutely ludicrous. And Northwestern just shoved and hacked on every possession. Complaining that it was called 67% of the time is ludicrous. Gillis had two fouls called against him that were very questionable, and the charge call against Jones was definitely a block on Barnhizer.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
The no-call on the hook-and-hold on Edey was absolutely ludicrous. And Northwestern just shoved and hacked on every possession. Complaining that it was called 67% of the time is ludicrous. Gillis had two fouls called against him that were very questionable, and the charge call against Jones was definitely a block on Barnhizer.
And some obvious double dribbles that weren’t called, a ball that went off Northwestern was incorrectly given to them, and on and on…

Reactions: Schnelk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT