ADVERTISEMENT

North Texas v. Purdue Game Thread (NCAA - South - round of 64)

BS. We shouldn't lose this game. Period. 4 seed vs 13 seed. It was poorly coached. Our juniors didn't show up.
bingo. the opponents prepared and Purdue coaching didn't. poor substitution and Thompson doesn't stop or even bother anyone who can easisy shoot over him. Why didn't Painter put in both big men in OT? piss poor coaching and not the greatest officiating. as long as Painter produces in the big ten as good enough then blow tourneys he;ll keep his job. Only coach that doesn't get fired up. need a Keady personality coaching. Now he'll find a decent assistant to do his job until they leave

If Newman can get better handling the ball, we can run those same types of ball screens with him and Ivey. But you have to have guard play on the tournament or be a good shooting team. We were never a good shooting team. We had a few games where we got hit. I don’t know how or why we thought we were a good shooting team.

Edey wasn't awake tonight, Wheeler and Sasha didn't play well, and the help defense got burned so many times it was sickening. Gotta make the plays at crunch time, Purdue doesn't seem to be able to do that

IT had no business playing as much as he did in OT, especially on the D side of the ball. Just basic coaching brain fart.

Edey wasn't awake tonight, Wheeler and Sasha didn't play well, and the help defense got burned so many times it was sickening. Gotta make the plays at crunch time, Purdue doesn't seem to be able to do that

UNT was the better team today.....played smarter and got the Boilers out of their game. Not much else to say right now other than a disappointing way to end the season.
Shot selection could have been better. Slow to board slow to loose balls. No stops on D the whole game. Over help...loss players on D and no real containment without help. Could Hamlet have scored enough if Purdue didn't help? Who knows?

Happy just to get to OT again and settle for first possession shot. NT did everything they wanted

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
This game was lost in the first half while our "coach" watched 3 pointer after 3 pointer clanked off the rim. But, you know, not his fault. But hey, we gave North Texas the first tourney win EVER!!! At least we can hang out hat on that major accomplishment! Congrats y'all!
yep. And every team used the same play to get the guy in the corner wide open. Saw it again and again with no coach fixing it all season

that set the tone for the whole ot
It usually does. Ball toss was horrible and helped Purdue get the tip and then lack of mental discipline on selection wasted the possession and Hamlet scored 3 times in a row

Well there is always football to look forward too.....lol.......Hopefully one of the freshman can come in and take away minutes from Gillis to give us more size.... And i hope we can get a transfer guard to come in..
I won't hold my breath ever since a coach before rand the program in the ground

This team better learn how to light a fire under their a** early in games next year or we’ll see the same results we saw tonight all season long and it starts with Tre!! So frustrating to watch a team with so much talent piss away games because they can’t put 2 good halves together or a freaking overtime!

I won’t rip the players. There is enough blame to go around. Missed four free throws in the last two minutes of regulation including the front end of a 1 and 1. Could’ve been much different.
Team will be better next year. Much better.

Reactions: HarrysPostGame13
No, we need to stop playing Hunter...our junior guards need to be subs in the future..?
Hunter is just bad. But, he’s our closest thing to a PG. Unfortunately, he just can’t do ANYTHING a PG should do.

Why didn’t Sasha play? Criticize his D, but no one else stopped the floater. You only win if you score more than the other team.

Reactions: ihateiu
Hunter is just bad. But, he’s our closest thing to a PG. Unfortunately, he just can’t do ANYTHING a PG should do.

Why didn’t Sasha play? Criticize his D, but no one else stopped the floater. You only win if you score more than the other team.
Hunter and Sasha no longer have any business starting next year after the debacle we saw from each of them the past 2 games when it really counted. Newman and Ivey next year should be getting a majority of the minutes...

As bad as most everyone was tonight, this loss is all on Painter and the lack of offensive consistency and developing some type of consistent PG play over the course of the year. If hunter wasnt going to be the answer (clearly is NOT), put in Morton or put Ivey at the 1. Do something different! The offence 75% of the time looks horrible if Hunter runs the show unless Ivey or Williams can bail it out.
Yes the defense was bad tonight but North Texas also made some tough shots. The offence and lack of consistency is what hurt the most tonight IMO

Did anybody notice that our D regressed when Newman went out and Ivey won the starting job? Ivey definetly deserved the job, but looked lost a lot on the half court D. Our guards don't communicate on switching for some reason. I would still have him in than Sasha.

CMP not adapting to NT shooting (and mostly making) at the back of the shot clock to limit our possessions was egregious. My 12 year old pointed it out a few mins in.
news flash. Painter can't win big games. Never makes an adjustment. No attempt to knock them off their plan and they dictated the tempo. It's March, expectations are low.

As bad as most everyone was tonight, this loss is all on Painter and the lack of offensive consistency and developing some type of consistent PG play over the course of the year. If hunter wasnt going to be the answer (clearly is NOT), put in Morton or put Ivey at the 1. Do something different! The offence 75% of the time looks horrible if Hunter runs the show unless Ivey or Williams can bail it out.
Yes the defense was bad tonight but North Texas also made some tough shots. The offence and lack of consistency is what hurt the most tonight IMO
our defense is what lost us the game. too many times we let them shoot wide open 3s. on offense, we should have been going inside all night long but instead we jacked up bricks from 3. poor coaching in my opinion letting this get out of hand in the first half

That spot is Newman's to take, but he hasn't produced since that 29 point game. Sasha is a 9th man on a legitimate Final Four team. Newman needs to take that spot in the off-season.
Newman has the potential to do it and we all know he can shoot the ball but if he’s gonna expand his game he definitely needs to work on dribbling and keeping his dribble alive while being strong with the ball. He turned into a totally different player half way through the season and you could definitely tell it messed with his confidence once he started loosing playing time.

our defense is what lost us the game. too many times we let them shoot wide open 3s. on offense, we should have been going inside all night long but instead we jacked up bricks from 3. poor coaching in my opinion letting this get out of hand in the first half

We only gave up 61 in regulation. We lost because only 1 guy showed up for 2 halves. I give credit to Williams for have a good 2nd half. Ut other than that, not much. Just not going to beat a lot of teams with that little punch.

The good news is that we have all of these players back next year. The bad news is we have all of these players back nest year.
The good news. These players finished fourth in the toughest Bigten in possibly all time. That should count for something when compared to one bad game I’m the tourney.

You have to wonder in hindsight that if you never help as much and covered Mcbride??? if Hamlet could have made the difference. Purdue took open shots, but the selection to shoot those a bit too much hurt Purdue. NT was better in every phase of the game it seemed...certainly quicker. Poised and more mature.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT