ADVERTISEMENT

North Texas v. Purdue Game Thread (NCAA - South - round of 64)

Purdue Grad in Texas

All-American
Mar 22, 2010
Good evening Ladies & Gentlemen, and welcome to the 2021 NCAA Tournament. The Purdue Boilermakers tip-off in this first round game @ Lucas Oil Stadium as the #4-seed in the "South" Bracket where their opponent is the #13-seed North Texas Mean Green. Television coverage is on TNT with the scheduled start for 7:25 pm (Eastern time). This is the second meeting all-time between the schools; Purdue defeated North Texas 90-73 all the way back in 1970.

North Texas is an experienced squad that can play a deliberate style/pace. They've relied heavily on its seniors, as Javion Hamlet, Zachary Simmons, Thomas Bell, and James Reese have combined to account for 67 percent of the team's scoring this year and 91 percent of all Mean Green points over the team's last five games. Hamlet has made or assisted on 60 percent of all North Texas field goals over the last five games and has accounted for 34 field goals and 33 assists in those games.

The Mean Green can also play some defense - thanks in no small part to their coach Grant McCasland, which Purdue's Matt Painter has noticed. "I've always been a big fan of his," Painter said Wednesday during his NCAA Tournament press availability. "His teams have discipline and they're consistent. They just do a good job getting into the basketball and making it hard for you to do what you want to do. They limit your paint touches. They're grimy. You just have to be able to probe the defense and work it. Against great defensive teams, you're going to have to earn your baskets, and that's what we're going to have to do against North Texas."

The Boilers could very well be in a lower scoring game with fewer possessions, so they'll need to really execute the offense, take the good shots and good opportunities when they present themselves. Limit the second chance opportunities for North Texas and get a few themselves on the boards. Unlike some of the games this season, the Boilers cannot afford to dig an early hole. This is a team that could hang around all game if they're given the chance with a working lead. I expect Purdue will continue to work inside-outside, and hopefully Eric Hunter, Jr. and Sasha Stefanovic can take up some of the scoring load from the back-court. If Trevion Williams and Zach Edey can be patient and execute in the paint - that will really cause problems for North Texas. I expect Jaden Ivey to continue to impact the game on both ends of the floor. Bottom line - the Boilers needs to come out like they did to start the second half in the BTT game - if they do that, I like their chances.....the stakes have gone up......survive and advance or otherwise the season is done. Can these relatively young Boilers keep the train rolling in Indianapolis?

We shall see in about an hour or so.

Boiler Up, my friends.

isaachayes1x18x10x05xmc.jpg

i
i

Good evening Ladies & Gentlemen, and welcome to the 2021 NCAA Tournament. The Purdue Boilermakers tip-off in this first round game @ Lucas Oil Stadium as the #4-seed in the "South" Bracket where their opponent is the #13-seed North Texas Mean Green. Television coverage is on TNT with the scheduled start for 7:25 pm (Eastern time). This is the second meeting all-time between the schools; Purdue defeated North Texas 90-73 all the way back in 1970.

North Texas is an experienced squad that can play a deliberate style/pace. They've relied heavily on its seniors, as Javion Hamlet, Zachary Simmons, Thomas Bell, and James Reese have combined to account for 67 percent of the team's scoring this year and 91 percent of all Mean Green points over the team's last five games. Hamlet has made or assisted on 60 percent of all North Texas field goals over the last five games and has accounted for 34 field goals and 33 assists in those games.

The Mean Green can also play some defense - thanks in no small part to their coach Grant McCasland, which Purdue's Matt Painter has noticed. "I've always been a big fan of his," Painter said Wednesday during his NCAA Tournament press availability. "His teams have discipline and they're consistent. They just do a good job getting into the basketball and making it hard for you to do what you want to do. They limit your paint touches. They're grimy. You just have to be able to probe the defense and work it. Against great defensive teams, you're going to have to earn your baskets, and that's what we're going to have to do against North Texas."

The Boilers could very well be in a lower scoring game with fewer possessions, so they'll need to really execute the offense, take the good shots and good opportunities when they present themselves. Limit the second chance opportunities for North Texas and get a few themselves on the boards. Unlike some of the games this season, the Boilers cannot afford to dig an early hole. This is a team that could hang around all game if they're given the chance with a working lead. I expect Purdue will continue to work inside-outside, and hopefully Eric Hunter, Jr. and Sasha Stefanovic can take up some of the scoring load from the back-court. If Trevion Williams and Zach Edey can be patient and execute in the paint - that will really cause problems for North Texas. I expect Jaden Ivey to continue to impact the game on both ends of the floor. Bottom line - the Boilers needs to come out like they did to start the second half in the BTT game - if they do that, I like their chances.....the stakes have gone up......survive and advance or otherwise the season is done. Can these relatively young Boilers keep the train rolling in Indianapolis?

We shall see in about an hour or so.

Boiler Up, my friends.

isaachayes1x18x10x05xmc.jpg

i
i
Ready on the beach. Surfs up. It's tourney time!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT