ADVERTISEMENT

Next years starting 5

Ok, so what if a player became a dorm manager. And was provided free room and board and considered to be a university employee and paid zero fees. Or if he was on an internship for a company. Would that be considered a scholarship?

• Haha
Reactions: Heads up BOILER
Ok, so what if a player became a dorm manager. And was provided free room and board and considered to be a university employee and paid zero fees. Or if he was on an internship for a company. Would that be considered a scholarship?
You cannot get around the scholarship limit by taking the money from a different pool of money. As many others have stated, schools would have been doing this long ago. There would never be a scholarship crunch at any school.

Also, the school cannot pay a player as an "employee".

I believe there would be a huge difference if Catchings played the 3. That would put Harris, Loyer and Myles fighting for minutes at the 2. Tkr and Heide at the 4 and Jacobson at center! That would be a huge difference than what others are predicting

You cannot get around the scholarship limit by taking the money from a different pool of money. As many others have stated, schools would have been doing this long ago. There would never be a scholarship crunch at any school.

If this were Alabama or Auburn they would just give the player the money

I believe there would be a huge difference if Catchings played the 3. That would put Harris, Loyer and Myles fighting for minutes at the 2. Tkr and Heide at the 4 and Jacobson at center! That would be a huge difference than what others are predicting
Kinda limits you doesn't it? Do you really want Harris, Colvin and Loyer all fighting for one position?

Catchings at 4 gives you a 6-9 athlete that is a mismatch for most other teams 4s. Same with Heide at 3.

I think it may be like this year. Same starters, but the perceived most productive players will get the most minutes. My expectation is that both Cam and Myles will see huge minutes next year.
Depending on how early practices go, either Gicarri or Kanon may crack the starting line-up or not. Should be a deep team that can score.

I think you're correct about the plan, but I don't think it's Berg. I think someone else has already agreed to give up their Scholarship. I can think of at least one guy that got a Scholarship that was somewhat of a surprise. I think the plan has always been for him to give it up should P need it.
If you are correct, perhaps the loss of the scholarship can be offset by some NIL money.

Kinda limits you doesn't it? Do you really want Harris, Colvin and Loyer all fighting for one position?

Catchings at 4 gives you a 6-9 athlete that is a mismatch for most other teams 4s. Same with Heide at 3.
Can you imagine Braden , Colvin, Heide and Catchings starting at the 1-4 ? You might need a bigger body at the 5 than TKR in that scenario.

I suspect Fletch realizes a few things at this point in his career:

1) Purdue needs an infusion of athleticism in its backcourt in order to be a true contender in 2025 and beyond.

2) There will be a meaningful place for Fletch on this team if he works hard, plays within the system, and maximizes what he can do.

I think we will get a number of different looks early in the season. Many of our best potential players can play at more than one slot. TKR - 4 or 5, Heide - 3 or 4, Colvin, Fletcher - 2 or 3, Catchings (speculative) - 3 or 4.

I think a lot of what happens will depend on how ready the big guys are. If Berg comes in ready to play this year I think it shifts everything to a tall lineup with Berg, TKR, Heide, Fletcher/Colvin, and Smith as the starters. If the Bigs aren't ready then it's TKR, Catchings/Heide, Colvin, Fletcher, Smith. All of this is contingent on the Freshmen outside of Catchings not being ready to take over as a starter on day 1. If any of the other 5 freshmen come in ready to play I have no clue what the lineup will be.

Regardless of what happens we will have at a minimum a very, very solid 7 man rotation (Smith, TKR, Fletcher, Heide, Colvin, Berg, Catchings). Hopefully one or two of the freshmen (besides Catchings) are ready to play so we have depth, because I see us running a ton more with next years lineup so we will need more rest for our starters.

It doesn’t really limit me. Burgess and Jacobson were rated just as high as Harris, Heide and Myles were.

I think it would be awesome if Jacobson claims the starting center position and TKR starts at the 4, catchings starts at the three and Myles and Harris battle with Loyer to start at the 2.

Just think how great we could be if we had Furst, Heide, Burgess, Colvin and Harris all coming off the bench. Colvin, Heide and Harris are getting the majority of attention by fans here, but Burgess and Jacobson and Catchings are just as good if not even better!

I think we will get a number of different looks early in the season. Many of our best potential players can play at more than one slot. TKR - 4 or 5, Heide - 3 or 4, Colvin, Fletcher - 2 or 3, Catchings (speculative) - 3 or 4.

I think a lot of what happens will depend on how ready the big guys are. If Berg comes in ready to play this year I think it shifts everything to a tall lineup with Berg, TKR, Heide, Fletcher/Colvin, and Smith as the starters. If the Bigs aren't ready then it's TKR, Catchings/Heide, Colvin, Fletcher, Smith. All of this is contingent on the Freshmen outside of Catchings not being ready to take over as a starter on day 1. If any of the other 5 freshmen come in ready to play I have no clue what the lineup will be.

Regardless of what happens we will have at a minimum a very, very solid 7 man rotation (Smith, TKR, Fletcher, Heide, Colvin, Berg, Catchings). Hopefully one or two of the freshmen (besides Catchings) are ready to play so we have depth, because I see us running a ton more with next years lineup so we will need more rest for our starters.
I don’t see any way Harris isn’t in the rotation. He’s an upgrade defensively over Fletch on day 1.

Completely agree but I believe that walk ons can and do get NIL $. Not saying that Purdue would do this but I'm not sure that they couldn't ask someone to use their NIL $ to pay for cost of attendance.

I don’t see any way Harris isn’t in the rotation. He’s an upgrade defensively over Fletch on day 1.
Individual defense yes, team defense, doubtful, but hopefully he picks it up quickly. Agree that he's in the rotation (unless Cox beats him out) as someone has to back up Braden and serve as another primary ball handler.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
Completely agree but I believe that walk ons can and do get NIL $. Not saying that Purdue would do this but I'm not sure that they couldn't ask someone to use their NIL $ to pay for cost of attendance.
You are correct. Walk-ons can receive NIL $$. It's just a matter of time before a school legally uses this to get around the scholarship limit.

Reactions: northside100
People here keep talking about smith needing a backup. The guy would play all 40 minutes every game if painter would let him. Smith doesn’t need a backup at pg
We need someone to step in if Smith is injured or has foul trouble. We'd also be stronger if we could get Smith five minutes of rest per game. I can see Harris or Cox filling that role.

You are correct. Walk-ons can receive NIL $$. It's just a matter of time before a school legally uses this to get around the scholarship limit.
I have not read all of this thread. RUMOR has it that Purdue could do this to land Carey Booth.

People here keep talking about smith needing a backup. The guy would play all 40 minutes every game if painter would let him. Smith doesn’t need a backup at pg
Injuries and future player development are 2 good reasons.

Edit: I typed the above before seeing seeing RDUBoiler's post. Foul troubles are a 3rd reason.

I have not read all of this thread. RUMOR has it that Purdue could do this to land Carey Booth.
Just saw a pick for Illinois but I hope you're correct.

I think this was discussed before and how schools people will get around it.

Everyone keeps talking about how we can get around the 13 scholarships. Does anyone think that we even need or want more than 13? Even if we could figure out a way to have more than 13, why would we? We're only going to play 8 maybe 9 guys anyway. After that, it really doesn't matter. All you would end up doing is having more guys sitting on the bench during the game. When has CMP ever played more than 9 guys in a regular rotation? You need 8 or 9 guys and the rest is just practice and mop time guys.

Everyone keeps talking about how we can get around the 13 scholarships. Does anyone think that we even need or want more than 13? Even if we could figure out a way to have more than 13, why would we? We're only going to play 8 maybe 9 guys anyway. After that, it really doesn't matter. All you would end up doing is having more guys sitting on the bench during the game. When has CMP ever played more than 9 guys in a regular rotation? You need 8 or 9 guys and the rest is just practice and mop time guys.
I wonder the same thing. More guys sitting on the bench and more guys in the portal at the end of the season. The plus side is you have a bigger pool of talent to work into your 8 or 9 player rotation and more talent challenging them in practice. I don't know the right answer.

Reactions: northside100
Yeah, there are only so many minutes every game, and if some people on here are all set to play Smith 40 minutes every game, that reduces that number even further. Thirteen scholarship players is plenty.

Out of the 7 guys returning, five have significant game experience and the other two are Berg and Waddell. I think ideally you still want to see what Berg can do and Waddell is a nice insurance policy if he wants to stick around. Agree that it's not the end of the world for the program if they have to cut to get down to 13.

It doesn’t really limit me. Burgess and Jacobson were rated just as high as Harris, Heide and Myles were.

I think it would be awesome if Jacobson claims the starting center position and TKR starts at the 4, catchings starts at the three and Myles and Harris battle with Loyer to start at the 2.

Just think how great we could be if we had Furst, Heide, Burgess, Colvin and Harris all coming off the bench. Colvin, Heide and Harris are getting the majority of attention by fans here, but Burgess and Jacobson and Catchings are just as good if not even better!
Heide and Colvin have a year headstart in the program so saying they are all rated the same, particularly when they don't all play similar positions doesn't say much.

Catchings is a one or two and doner. No one is disputing that. It seems pretty clear to me TKR is the starting center. It also seems clear to me Heide is the starting 3. That to me puts Catchings at the 4 as an athletic 6-9 guy who will cause serious mismatches against other 4s. Loyer and Smith obviously start the season as well.

Your lineup seems to me be based on the idea that TKR shouldn't be the 5. Which I don't get.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
If he's as athletic as he appears to be, I would think decent. We know TKR is a good rebounder. So is Heide as well as Smith for that matter.
TKR is a good rebounder for a 4. When Zach was out and he slid to the 5, it was a bit shaky.

But then again, maybe I’m spoiled from watching Zach get every rebound he desires…

Reactions: 02BoilerUp
TKR is a good rebounder for a 4. When Zach was out and he slid to the 5, it was a bit shaky.

But then again, maybe I’m spoiled from watching Zach get every rebound he desires…
I think that's certainly the issue. We aren't going to rebound like last year no matter who we start. How could we?

But we can rebound good enough. And we can compensate with better pick and roll coverage and more steals and transition baskets.

The main issue I see is we currently have 14 and people were/are looking for ways to keep everyone that is committed/signed. I’ve not noticed a huge push to further recruit more players than the 13 allows. Yes people discussing ways around it though mostly to solve a current situation. That being said the limit used to be 15. I guess there’s an outside chance it could be increased back up to 15 at some point.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
Ok. I’m not sure that’s a common take. Yes he doesn’t want to leave the floor because he’s that competitive! Does that mean if there’s a guy who can handle the position and rest him, fill in as needed, offer a little change of pace that he shouldn’t be used? I don’t believe so. I think Psinter saw a need otherwise this recruiting class would have a different makeup!

Ok. I’m not sure that’s a common take. Yes he doesn’t want to leave the floor because he’s that competitive! Does that mean if there’s a guy who can handle the position and rest him, fill in as needed, offer a little change of pace that he shouldn’t be used? I don’t believe so. I think Psinter saw a need otherwise this recruiting class would have a different makeup!
I have no idea why you wouldn't want a backup to Smith

Playing 40 minutes is super unwise
Injuries happen, even minor ones
Smith eventually leaves and you'd kinda like someone with experience and talent replacing him the next year. You aren't going to just plug in another true frosh four year starter.

I believe from things both Painter and TKR have alluded to that TKR will given lots of opportunity to be the 5. It’d be great if Jacobsen comes in ready for significant minutes at the 5 but I’d be surprised if he was a starter. I think from what I’ve seen Catchings has the handles and ability to play the 3. I think Heide plays the 4 but possibly some at the 3. I believe Loyer is pushed at the 2 and would not be surprised at all if someone else gets the starting nod or at least significant minutes. Harris can likely compete at 1-3 spots. Colvin could play 2-3 and could surpass Loyer with his potential if he works hard to make a jump! Just my thoughts.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
The main issue I see is we currently have 14 and people were/are looking for ways to keep everyone that is committed/signed. I’ve not noticed a huge push to further recruit more players than the 13 allows. Yes people discussing ways around it though mostly to solve a current situation. That being said the limit used to be 15. I guess there’s an outside chance it could be increased back up to 15 at some point.
I keep wondering the same thing. With the portal pulling players from teams, it may even make sense. I have not seen a big push in the media to increase the number, but it may be happening. The downside is that it would make NIL even more difficult to manage. More slices of the pie.

Can you imagine Braden , Colvin, Heide and Catchings starting at the 1-4 ? You might need a bigger body at the 5 than TKR in that scenario.
I think this could very well be the starting lineup. I think TKR will get the nod at the 5. He gives a ton of potential scoring down low, actually moves pretty well and evidently has a great work ethic to try to improve. He matched up well with Burns and some other bigs this season. I would not be surprised if Berg surprises some folks and gets some time on the court. With the athletic abilities and the hops several of them have it could be a good rebounding lineup. All of them could hit the boards, hell Smith is a really good rebounder and is often the smallest on the floor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT