ADVERTISEMENT

Next years lineup?

I think he's serious. I'm not positive, but I suspect everyone who "liked" his post was serious, too.

I want Morton to be hugely successful as well, but nothing that he's shown at all this year would lead one to believe he's going to be special. I hope he proves me wrong, but I've yet to see him put together a 5 minute stretch of play that has me excited about his future. Could he be a serviceable role player? Sure. But I'm still waiting for him to show why he was so highly recruited.

I truly believe Ethan Morton is the most misunderstood player on the team. I will leave it with that.
I’m not sure what that means but it sure is a great statement to generate a lot of likes. You can get likes from people who think he’s going to be great, those that think he’ll be a contributor and those that think he’s a disappointment.

I’ll do you one better. I think a lot of people on this board are accurate in their assessment of Morton’s potential.

I want Morton to be hugely successful as well, but nothing that he's shown at all this year would lead one to believe he's going to be special. I hope he proves me wrong, but I've yet to see him put together a 5 minute stretch of play that has me excited about his future. Could he be a serviceable role player? Sure. But I'm still waiting for him to show why he was so highly recruited.
That's OK. While you look for more opportunities to make negative comments, the Purdue coaching staff will continue to make their judgement of his role based on what they see every day in practice. We already know that no matter what he does from this point forward, you have made up you mind that he is not "special" (whatever that means). You will be the first to point out his mistakes and you will disappear when he has a good game.

Every player on Purdue's team is a role player.

That's OK. While you look for more opportunities to make negative comments, the Purdue coaching staff will continue to make their judgement of his role based on what they see every day in practice. We already know that no matter what he does from this point forward, you have made up you mind that he is not "special" (whatever that means). You will be the first to point out his mistakes and you will disappear when he has a good game.

Every player on Purdue's team is a role player.

Lil Andy, that's not true. Reread what I wrote. I hope Morton is outstanding for Purdue, I hope he's the starting PG on multiple FF teams, I hope he makes me say "wow, he proved me wrong". But, the fact of the matter is, right now, he hasn't shown anyone anything to justify a top 75 ranking (or whatever he was), while at the same time, Ivey, Newman, Gillis and Edey have all shown massive potential and production.

Lil Andy, that's not true. Reread what I wrote. I hope Morton is outstanding for Purdue, I hope he's the starting PG on multiple FF teams, I hope he makes me say "wow, he proved me wrong". But, the fact of the matter is, right now, he hasn't shown anyone anything to justify a top 75 ranking (or whatever he was), while at the same time, Ivey, Newman, Gillis and Edey have all shown massive potential and production.
No reason for the Lil Andy...it's a discussion. Internet tough guys always make me laugh. I've had many discussions calm when they meet me face to face. Relax, buddy...its a free board.

Last edited:
This isn't the first time you have heard this, but every year you pick a Purdue player that you think is not worthy of getting minutes, and then you take jabs at the player at every opportunity. Just like you did here in your out-of-the-blue response to Mandeville's post. For some reason you think that the player has to prove something to you to deserve playing time, ranking, scholarship, etc.

Reactions: jindy
No reason for the Lil Andy...it's a discussion. Internet tough guys always make me laugh. I've had many discussions calm when they meet me face to face. Relax, buddy...its a free board.

Lil Andy and I have a history.....

Reactions: Poprudy
This isn't the first time you have heard this, but every year you pick a Purdue player that you think is not worthy of getting minutes, and then you take jabs at the player at every opportunity. Just like you did here in your out-of-the-blue response to Mandeville's post. For some reason you think that the player has to prove something to you to deserve playing time, ranking, scholarship, etc.

I'm not taking jabs, I'm stating opinion and some fact.
But, maybe you're watching a different Morton than I am?
Honestly, can you name a stretch that he played where he did anything that make you really excited about his future?
Like I said, maybe he still dealing with mono or whatever, but for someone so highly recruited, he just hasn't shown much.

I'm not taking jabs, I'm stating opinion and some fact.
But, maybe you're watching a different Morton than I am?
Honestly, can you name a stretch that he played where he did anything that make you really excited about his future?
Like I said, maybe he still dealing with mono or whatever, but for someone so highly recruited, he just hasn't shown much.
Yes you are. Someone mentioned Morton in a positive way and you go negative. It's some kind of compulsion and you don't even seem to know you are doing it. You find someone on the team every year who you claim doesn't deserve a scholarship, so you spend the season cutting and pasting your reasons over and over. And over. Remember your posts about Grady? Remind me, who did you think he was stealing minutes from as he was helping lead the team to the Elite 8?

Reactions: Russ Ford and jindy
When I posted this I did for fun, think next year will be a great one. I wasn't expected fights to come out of possible Purdue starting lineup next year, come on folks, we don't need that lol. After watching the Nebraska game I'm fine with Sasha being 6th man next year, he'll buy in and be a perfect guy to lead the bench mob. Williams/Gillis/Newman/Hunter/Ivey will be the game 1 lineup barring unforeseen circumstances, Sasha, Kaufman, Edey, Furst anchor the second unit.

My assessment of Morton as a player has very little to do with his play this year. The kid is a baller. You will see.

My assessment of Morton as a player has very little to do with his play this year. The kid is a baller. You will see.
Yea, he'll be fine next year, however might be 2 years away from major minutes, not sure he's going to get many next season. Going to be a dogfight for #8-10 players especially if Wheeler returns to get playing time. I hope everyone including Dow return and Purdue has the full allotment of 13 scholarship players, guessing 1 or 2 don't return though.

Yea, he'll be fine next year, however might be 2 years away from major minutes, not sure he's going to get many next season.
If true, that's OK.

There are only 5 players who will be first-team All-B10 selections. The league is really tough and there are some fantastic players across the league. You can not have all 13 players on your roster be first-team All-B10. Or even combined 1st, 2nd, and honorable mention.

I hope these are obvious statements, but some people have a hard time accepting the obvious (not you, purduedavie).

Wheels has a chance for Euro ball with his measurables. I love his attitude, but I think if he wants to pursue a basketball career after college, he needs to go to another league where he can have suffient game experience. If he decides not to be a career bballer, I would love to see him to stay and get his Purdue degree.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
After reading all the other posts, I stand by this one. IMO if all these players play about 20 minutes a game, we can be an elite 8 in 2022 and the National Champ in 2023.

Please keep in mind, I have only seen flashes of Morton and nothing of Furst and Kaufman. I am really hoping Wheeler has an epiphany and comes back with more self-confidence and at least 20 pounds of muscle. If not, he will be the 12th man along with IT and I will be rooting for both Furst and Kaufman to be as good as advertised.

In 2023, I also see Newman in the starting lineup. I had put him with the "elder statesman" lineup because they need a slasher. Then again, I see Gillis as the glue to provide muscle at the 3 and set the tone. I selected Furst to red-shirt because I want an extra year from one of the bigs when Edey graduates. Morton seems to be a pass-first PG, who can slash and dish but can hit the open shot when needed. I love Edey just like I loved Haas. Their D presence is overlooked but needed when the other team is slashing to the basket. There is a reason when they miss what should be layups.

I wrote the above as a reply to people who thought my post was off the wall. I had pretty much split our teams into two units between our veterans and the starring players in two years. I put Gillis as a SF next year and split Brandon and Jaden to give the vets a needed slasher. I saw splitting time with Tre and Zach but my major controversy was giving Aaron the starting PF.

At another post, a more knowledgeable poster mentioned how Aaron needs to consistently jump and I saw that his hands were incongruent. Hopefully a coach read our babble and made the correction. I am so happy Zach and Aaron saw the encouragement, kept working hard, and made the adjustment. I was projecting for next year but as many analysts remark the end of the year gives many the needed experience to make changes. I am glad the team as a whole has been growing all year long.

Reactions: drewjin
If true, that's OK.

There are only 5 players who will be first-team All-B10 selections. The league is really tough and there are some fantastic players across the league. You can not have all 13 players on your roster be first-team All-B10. Or even combined 1st, 2nd, and honorable mention.

I hope these are obvious statements, but some people have a hard time accepting the obvious (not you, purduedavie).
Well stated, I agree. I hope Purdue brings all 13 players back next year, even Dow if his health is fine. I stated in another post that my guess is 2 maybe 3 players leave or in Dow's case retire from playing because of his health. I'm sure those can figure out the players that I think might be at other places next year. Also, having players leave happens everywhere, that's why I'd doubt that all 11 scholarship players this year return.

We will start the same lineup we have, we will have a million options to adjust, big, Small, slow or fast, a million options, a lot of situational matchups and we have it all. But we will use the same starting line-up to start with.

I didn’t like the look on Big Tre’s face during the end of the game today. Edey was in because of his FT percentage but Big Tre didn’t look happy. You don’t suppose....
I’ll bite my tongue.

Reactions: Bill4411
I didn’t like the look on Big Tre’s face during the end of the game today. Edey was in because of his FT percentage but Big Tre didn’t look happy. You don’t suppose....
I’ll bite my tongue.
I thought the same thing, Tre was just frustrated, wouldn't look that much into it. Tre starts next game and plays better, Zach deserves minutes though, I can see Tre getting 23 to Zach's 17. Also, how does Zach not start next year? I really believe those two for at least 5 minutes a game play together next season.

Reactions: drewjin
We’ll need the juniors in the Big Dance. The Elite 8 experience from a couple years ago will help. That’s what’s great about this team. You can’t focus on 1 player like with past teams. Anyone can step up.

Tre knows that this is his team, may be not happy with how he played today.
For a better or for a worse, he will carry us into the field of 64.
Everyone else contributes any shape or form to the march.

Look what forgotten worriers has given us for the last few games.
Aaron, Edey, Sasha, and Ivey in big ways,
while IT does little things

It will be a great and fun year for these kids to grow into an awesome team!

Boiler Up!!

Dakich said on his show today that Ivey could possibly be a 1 and done, he is that talented. I know he needs to improve his shot , but the NBA draft on potential only , hope this wont be true, but.....?

Dakich said on his show today that Ivey could possibly be a 1 and done, he is that talented. I know he needs to improve his shot , but the NBA draft on potential only , hope this wont be true, but.....?
He'd have to have 1 helluve tournament, if that happens that's the way it goes, Purdue wouldn't be the only school that goes through this. My guess is that he'll be back, haven't saw his names on any NBA draft boards this year or next, maybe that's changed, haven't looked in the last few weeks.

Reactions: buffboiler
8 of the projected first 11 are his size and most are his position. That should be most of the teams looking for a player like Ivey

It’s not impossible, but Dakich has been known to exaggerate.

That said, if Ivey comes back and starts hitting threes like he’s E’Twaun Moore, I think the lottery is in his future. He’s so talented that it won’t surprise me if he does. I really have never seen a player like him in a Purdue uniform. With an improved shot he’ll almost be “unguardable”.

Yea, he'll be fine next year, however might be 2 years away from major minutes, not sure he's going to get many next season. Going to be a dogfight for #8-10 players especially if Wheeler returns to get playing time. I hope everyone including Dow return and Purdue has the full allotment of 13 scholarship players, guessing 1 or 2 don't return though.
Morton is going to be an excellent contributor in his upperclass years. That wiley upperclassman that knows what his coach and opposing coach are trying to do all the time and just makes the team on the floor better offensively and defensively. He is tailor-made for high level college basketball. it's difficult to see his value right now because he doesn't have any stand-out tangible strength. But watch as he gets older in the system. He is going to be a valuable valuable contributor to team success.

I wish he can work on his jumper to just become even a decent shooter. I don't see him being a good shooter (guys who are not good shooters in HS rarely ever become one in college. It just almost never happens). Becoming a decent shooter will elevate his game a lot

Last edited:
Tre knows that this is his team, may be not happy with how he played today.
For a better or for a worse, he will carry us into the field of 64.
Everyone else contributes any shape or form to the march.

Look what forgotten worriers has given us for the last few games.
Aaron, Edey, Sasha, and Ivey in big ways,
while IT does little things

It will be a great and fun year for these kids to grow into an awesome team!

Boiler Up!!

iu had a good defensive game plan and got Tre frustrated. I think they got in his head a little bit and Tre started really pressing, resulting in some bad turnovers and bad shots.
Tre will be fine. He's been here before and knows Painter has faith in him.

He'd have to have 1 helluve tournament, if that happens that's the way it goes, Purdue wouldn't be the only school that goes through this. My guess is that he'll be back, haven't saw his names on any NBA draft boards this year or next, maybe that's changed, haven't looked in the last few weeks.

If Ivey comes back, he's a lottery pick after next year.

Possibly, he needs to improve his shot, Ayo from Illinois was thought to be a one and done, now he'll probably be a late rounder in the first round after 3 years. I do agree that keeping him after next year might be difficult, that's fine, would love for Purdue to have a lottery pick. Pretty sure he returns next year at least, still think we could get 2 more out of him though.

Possibly, he needs to improve his shot, Ayo from Illinois was thought to be a one and done, now he'll probably be a late rounder in the first round after 3 years. I do agree that keeping him after next year might be difficult, that's fine, would love for Purdue to have a lottery pick. Pretty sure he returns next year at least, still think we could get 2 more out of him though.

I agree that he comes back, but then he's done. Hopefully Painter is talking to guards with similar skill sents and looking for the next Ivey.

Reactions: purduedavie
I agree that he comes back, but then he's done. Hopefully Painter is talking to guards with similar skill sents and looking for the next Ivey.
Maybe Brown from PA? This next years lineup thread has been a hit lol. When I did it the Boilers weren't playing that great, it's really took off since! Let's be honest, next year should be really fun, this offseason will be interesting as well, guessing besides Dow 1 or 2 players leave, that's ok though, will happen everywhere!

Morton is going to be an excellent contributor in his upperclass years...

He surely has the potential. Ethan had 5 assists in the 2nd game of his career, and that was against an ACC team. He followed it up with a 6 assist performance the next game. While he had way too many TOs, he was among the top freshmen in the nation in assist rate while he had a larger role with Hunter's injury.

The role of facilitator could be very important given the amount of scoring talent there appears to be among the wings and bigs on this team in the coming years, and Ethan could be poised to take that role with a little growth and improvement.

Reactions: jtanoos1

I love watching Jaden Ivey play. He is the best finisher from the guard position I've seen at Purdue, but.....

Do people on this board realize that around 40% of the shots in the NBA now come from 3 point range and most teams shooting percentage from the extended 3 point line is between 35% and 40%.. 49% of the Utah Jazz's shots are from 3 and they are making them at a 40% clip.

IMO Jaden will need to show he can hit 3 pointers consistently before he even gets drafted, let alone be a lottery pick. No one really knows if he will or won't, so I don't see how anyone can definitively say one way or another without some kind of caveat.

I'd put it this way; If Jaden can show he can be a consistent three point shooter, I believe he will get drafted.

Only time will tell.

I love watching Jaden Ivey play. He is the best finisher from the guard position I've seen at Purdue, but.....

Do people on this board realize that around 40% of the shots in the NBA now come from 3 point range and most teams shooting percentage from the extended 3 point line is between 35% and 40%.. 49% of the Utah Jazz's shots are from 3 and they are making them at a 40% clip.

IMO Jaden will need to show he can hit 3 pointers consistently before he even gets drafted, let alone be a lottery pick. No one really knows if he will or won't, so I don't see how anyone can definitively say one way or another without some kind of caveat.

I'd put it this way; If Jaden can show he can be a consistent three point shooter, I believe he will get drafted.

Only time will tell.

yeah.... that's been discussed in numerous threads, the observation that he needs to develop his outside shot, to be really attractive to the NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT