ADVERTISEMENT

Need a new head coach!

here's some records by other coaches at similar programs

Drinkwitz ( Mizzou ) 5-5, 6-7, 6-7, 6-1, Schiano (Rutgers) 3-6. 5-8, 4-8, 5-2, Smith (Oregon St) 2-10, 5-7, 2-6, 7-6. 10-3, 6-1 Last week Baylor's AD told HC Aranda he has to make changes to his anemic O, currently they are 2 - 4 his career record their 22 -20 yr 4
Excellent perspective, thanks!

The guy at Oregon State is particularly interesting considering how they are doing this year (and last). We will see him early next year.

Reactions: drewjin
What percentage of a game do you observe him, and are you able to hear what he says in the link to the coaches in the press box?

This info will help us in evaluating the value of your assessment.
I don't think anyone expected Purdue to win. (although with Brohm we were winning so sort of got used to being good.) But I think that we looked so uncompetitive was a huge disappointment. Shouldn't have to start over every time we change coaches. Look we are primarily going to recruit 3 stars, so development is necessary. But with the transfer portal this should be easier.

Reactions: BoilerAlumni12
I don't think anyone expected Purdue to win. (although with Brohm we were winning so sort of got used to being good.) But I think that we looked so uncompetitive was a huge disappointment. Shouldn't have to start over every time we change coaches. Look we are primarily going to recruit 3 stars, so development is necessary. But with the transfer portal this should be easier.
Except the transfer portal was how we lost some key offensive line guys when CJB left. The guys who came in are just not as good, sadly, and there is little margin for injuries, as we have seen.

It seems that recruiting is going pretty well, so I am optimistic about the future.

Excellent perspective, thanks!

The guy at Oregon State is particularly interesting considering how they are doing this year (and last). We will see him early next year.
Are you saying we should show him around the new facilities?

I guess a lot of people forgot the steaming pile of dogshit that Brohm left for Walters to start with? Hell, our best players graduated, others left with Brohm along with the entire coaching staff. Brohm even poisoned the well by leaving his brother to coach that travesty of a bowl game. Walters gets hired with virtually no time to recruit last fall along with no experience as a head coach. Starts with one of the hardest schedules in the country. He recruits well but if you looked at the list of injuries before the OSU game and thought we had a chance against them, then you are dumber than an IU football fan.

Only if he flys back to WL with our lads after the game.
Sorry I forgot this was the road game for the home/home match up. This looks more and more like a good win in the CJB era.

Hey! Got my avatar to work. Getting PC savvy now days.

Reactions: Riveting-
I guess a lot of people forgot the steaming pile of dogshit that Brohm left for Walters to start with? Hell, our best players graduated, others left with Brohm along with the entire coaching staff. Brohm even poisoned the well by leaving his brother to coach that travesty of a bowl game. Walters gets hired with virtually no time to recruit last fall along with no experience as a head coach. Starts with one of the hardest schedules in the country. He recruits well but if you looked at the list of injuries before the OSU game and thought we had a chance against them, then you are dumber than an IU football fan.
We ignoring what Brohm inherited? 4 win team in 4 years to be bowl eligible in year one. Dont you dare give credit to Hazel. It was scheme and talent development under Brohm.

The cup board looks bare because current regime is incompetent.

We ignoring what Brohm inherited? 4 win team in 4 years to be bowl eligible in year one. Dont you dare give credit to Hazel. It was scheme and talent development under Brohm.

The cup board looks bare because current regime is incompetent.
Incompetent? Dare? Did Brohm have to play the schedule that Walters had? Did Hazel leave and take all the coaches and best players with him? Which season was it before Brohm started a quarterback he recruited? Try to get a little bit real. If we are looking at the same situation next year at this time I'll concede we made a mistake. Until then we all need to chill.

Last edited:
Incompetent? Dare? Did Brohm have to play the schedule that Walters had? Did Hazel leave and take all the coaches and best players with him? Which season was it before Brohm started a quarterback he recruited? Try to get a little bit real. If we are looking at the same situation next year at this time I'll concede we made a mistake. Until then we all need to chill.
it's hard enough to get a really good coach to come to Purdue but if you add an administration to get a rep for axing a coach after 2 yrs, you'll have a hard time landing the next one.

True. I was just trying to add some common sense to the discussion. Some of these dolts are ready to fire Walters today.
Not fire, but definitely changes or adjustments. I'm trying to see what B1G team wouldn't ask for that. Maybe IU but you'll have 7-8 years of backpedaling.

If, he doesn't show any improvements after next year. Yes, the writing's on the wall.

I totally agree. Watch what happens when MSU and NW hire new coaches and do well early. It's the big ten, many proven coaches would come here. Purdue has recruited very well in the past, I don't have to mention their names, but you can recruit to Purdue.

Wow!!! Boilermaker football is heading south fast! This new head coach is beyond terrible. Just a few years ago under Jeff Brohm we beat #2 Ohio state very soundly at home in the night game. It was a game on Rondale. Moore ran all over the buckeyes, and they had no answer to him. Today at home #3 Ohio State looks like they’re beating up on a high school junior varsity team. We’re getting beat in every phase of the game possible and basically Ohio State is having their way with Purdue. Fire this bum and get a real head coach, now!
You're right, the sky is falling, fire the coaching staff, bench Card, blah blah blah. Get a life. This is the first year and basically a whole new team of coaches AND players. This is the ONLY game where we were totally over-matched. All the other losses could have gone our way with few less mistakes. But sure go ahead, let's clean house and start over. Then we can beat Ohio State the next time we play them. ROTFLMAO

Hazell’s “best players” who won 1 conference game? Lost 50-7 to Maryland, 45-17 to Northwestern, 62-24 to Penn State…etc etc.

Walters didn’t inherit any worse situation than Brohm did.

Hazell’s “best players” who won 1 conference game? Lost 50-7 to Maryland, 45-17 to Northwestern, 62-24 to Penn State…etc etc.

I’m just interested to hear what the excuse will be next year. And the year after. And the year after that. And the people who will defend him mercilessly for 3 years will be the same who will say they knew he was bad and wanted him gone right away when the AD and fan base stop showing up and come to their senses.

Reactions: BoilerAlumni12
I’m just interested to hear what the excuse will be next year. And the year after. And the year after that. And the people who will defend him mercilessly for 3 years will be the same who will say they knew he was bad and wanted him gone right away when the AD and fan base stop showing up and come to their senses.
Why don't you apply to be AD since you have all the answers.

LOL. How many of Hazel's players left with Hazel and how many transferred via the portal when Brohm stepped on campus? Hint: there was no portal at the time.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: GolfHacker1
I believe fans and posters here need to start realizing how and why Purdue and Brohm beat Ohio state on that special day in Boilermaker history! It’s not that we were better than Ohio St or that brohm did an outstanding coaching job. It was a special day for a special person and Purdue would have beaten any team they played that day! If you go to the archives and read the game day thread, you will notice even the refs ensured that Purdue would win! Even the fans noted that there were several questionable calls and also non calls that all favored Purdue. That game was not about football. It was a special day. And when looking back, fans should stop look back at the stats and stop talking about how z Brohm beat Ohio st so he must be a great coach! Rather you need to know the context of what else was going on that week! The atmosphere of that game was much like the first game the Saints played at home after Hurricane Katrina! If you believe in voodoo, supreme beings or karma, or WWE wrestling outcomes, you knew the Saints were going to win that night! I’m not saying either game was scripted or rigged! What I’m saying is both teams were at an emotional peak that will never be able to be attained again. You could see it before the game began! So going forward, when you count accomplishments, that win should not be counted as a win for Brohm or Purdue. It was a gift from a much more powerful coach !

I believe fans and posters here need to start realizing how and why Purdue and Brohm beat Ohio state on that special day in Boilermaker history! It’s not that we were better than Ohio St or that brohm did an outstanding coaching job. It was a special day for a special person and Purdue would have beaten any team they played that day! If you go to the archives and read the game day thread, you will notice even the refs ensured that Purdue would win! Even the fans noted that there were several questionable calls and also non calls that all favored Purdue. That game was not about football. It was a special day. And when looking back, fans should stop look back at the stats and stop talking about how z Brohm beat Ohio st so he must be a great coach! Rather you need to know the context of what else was going on that week! The atmosphere of that game was much like the first game the Saints played at home after Hurricane Katrina! If you believe in voodoo, supreme beings or karma, or WWE wrestling outcomes, you knew the Saints were going to win that night! I’m not saying either game was scripted or rigged! What I’m saying is both teams were at an emotional peak that will never be able to be attained again. You could see it before the game began! So going forward, when you count accomplishments, that win should not be counted as a win for Brohm or Purdue. It was a gift from a much more powerful coach !
kinda like when the Raiders got screwed by the tuck call, Game played 4 mos after the towers went down , can't have a team called the Raiders beat the Patriots

Wonder why a 1-8 roster wasn’t ransacked by the competition…. 🤔
Hazel was a crap coach, no doubt. However he didn't exactly leave the cupboard bare. Blough, Sindelar, Markell Jones, Markus Bailey, JaWhan Bentley, Gelen Robinson, Antonio Blackmon, DJ Knox, Joe Schopper, Jackson Anthrop,, Cole Herdman, Brycen Hopkins, Austin Larkin, Navon Mosley, Jordon Roos, Jacob and Brennan Theineman, Anthony Mahouganou, Danny Ezechukwu, Lorenzo Neal, and several others. That group alone shows what a terrible coach Hazel was to have had the results he had with this talent. It also shows that Brohm did indeed have a good base to start with.

Last edited:
Hazel was a crap coach, no doubt. However he didn't exactly leave the cupboard bare. Blough, Sindelar, Markell Jones, Markus Bailey, JaWhan Bentley, Gelen Robinson, Antonio Blackmon, DJ Knox, Joe Schopper, Jackson Anthrop,, Cole Herdman, Brycen Hopkins, Austin Larkin, Navon Mosley, Jordon Roos, Jacob and Brennan Theineman, Anthony Mahouganou, Danny Ezechukwu, Lorenzo Neal, and several others. That group alone shows what a terrible coach Hazel was. It also shows that Brohm did indeed have a good base to start with.
1-8 says otherwise. You are what your record says you are.

• Haha
Reactions: z_one
So you are saying Hazel left the cupboard bare for Brohm? Just because Hazel sucked doesn't mean the players he left sucked. There were some darn good players in that group.
There were a few OK players left in 2017. Not many that would start for a bunch of other B1G schools. Which is why they couldn’t beat any of the other B1G schools, including IU.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: z_one and Riveting-
I didn’t expect to beat them but any well coached football team could compete for awhile at least. Especially when OSU was banged up at RB and has a glorified statue and the definition of average at QB.

Then add in the red zone blunders, the missed FGs…it was a shit show.
I guess our team being banged up counts less than a much better team being banged up. Logical !

Reactions: z_one
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT