ADVERTISEMENT

Need a new head coach!

Purdue-Fan-Ian

Sophomore
Dec 3, 2004
Wow!!! Boilermaker football is heading south fast! This new head coach is beyond terrible. Just a few years ago under Jeff Brohm we beat #2 Ohio state very soundly at home in the night game. It was a game on Rondale. Moore ran all over the buckeyes, and they had no answer to him. Today at home #3 Ohio State looks like they’re beating up on a high school junior varsity team. We’re getting beat in every phase of the game possible and basically Ohio State is having their way with Purdue. Fire this bum and get a real head coach, now!

Wow!!! Boilermaker football is heading south fast! This new head coach is beyond terrible. Just a few years ago under Jeff Brohm we beat #2 Ohio state very soundly at home in the night game. It was a game on Rondale. Moore ran all over the buckeyes, and they had no answer to him. Today at home #3 Ohio State looks like they’re beating up on a high school junior varsity team. We’re getting beat in every phase of the game possible and basically Ohio State is having their way with Purdue. Fire this bum and get a real head coach, now!
He is a very bad head coach and needs way more experience to take on such a role.

OC Harrell should be given his notice after that debacle at the end of the first half.
First and goal at the half foot line…
Get under center and qb sneak it in the for the sure six?
Nope…shotgun formation.
Idiot…

OC Harrell should be given his notice after that debacle at the end of the first half.
Nope…shotgun formation.
Idiot…
Unfortunately, this falls on our head coach. If, he chooses not to make big coaching decisions his could be a short tenure.

Last edited:
Since the current so-called head coach should not be called as such, he's nothing but a sideline statue with a title, Purdue should immediately being a search for a real 'head coach", unless of course the plan is for Purdue to be a perpetual cellar dweller in Big 10 football, and based on Purdue's out of touch AD's head coach choice perhaps that is the plan!

I'm willing to give him time the rest of the year and next year if he shows progress.Right now we have another Hazell in the making.
I can’t believe the fan base postings. Walter’s was hired late in the recruiting season had to go to the portal to get what he could. He was left with a bare cupboard of players. It's his first year with new schemes on both sides of the ball. It’s more obvious that we lack talent overall than coaching. The good players that he was left with are playing well on both sides of the ball in the new schemes. We just don’t have enough of those players. The coaches are working hard to get the talent they need as evident with 80 players visiting the game. Both lines are struggling. They have only had one season of the new strength and conditioning coach. The old group was pathetic. It will take a couple more seasons to build strength throughout as it is not something that happens overnight. The fact that we are having so many offensive linemen getting rolled on is telling us that they as a unit are not keeping the opponents in front of them. These are things that take a few years to correct with depth.

My advice is to chill and give Walter’s time.

Now as for Harrell, I do believe he could help more with shorter quick passes this year and show more air raid style. RPO takes a little more time for the line to hold their blocks and makes Card stay in one spot for to long putting both at a disadvantage. Not saying I am ready to throw the towel in on him yet. The plays he calls are there but the talent (as in development) isn’t there to execute the calls to their entirety.

I can’t believe the fan base postings. Walter’s was hired late in the recruiting season had to go to the portal to get what he could. He was left with a bare cupboard of players. It's his first year with new schemes on both sides of the ball. It’s more obvious that we lack talent overall than coaching. The good players that he was left with are playing well on both sides of the ball in the new schemes. We just don’t have enough of those players. The coaches are working hard to get the talent they need as evident with 80 players visiting the game. Both lines are struggling. They have only had one season of the new strength and conditioning coach. The old group was pathetic. It will take a couple more seasons to build strength throughout as it is not something that happens overnight. The fact that we are having so many offensive linemen getting rolled on is telling us that they as a unit are not keeping the opponents in front of them. These are things that take a few years to correct with depth.

Now as for Harrell, I do believe he could help more with shorter quick passes this year and show more air raid style. RPO takes a little more time for the line to hold their blocks and makes Card stay in one spot for to long putting both at a disadvantage. Not saying I am ready to throw the towel in on him yet. The plays he calls are there but the talent (as in development) isn’t there to execute the calls to their entirety.
I believe it's the adjustment or lack thereof is the issue. I know you have the Purdue mentality that seems to be the norm but I disagree. No B1G team should wait for talent to come when you can't adjust to what the cupboard has. He lacks the "in-game" adjustment to move pieces that match up in our favor. Every game should be a learning curve for him and he hasn't shown that. Yes, it's early but most will show growth as this usually is a short term job.

Last edited:
Giving Walter's time is not the answer. That's like peeing in the ocean and expecting the water level to rise. It will not happen! He's shown he's not head coach caliber. Just because someone was a good assistant is no assurance that he'll be a good head coach, but unfortunately Purdue's out of touch AD does not understand that. The fault for the fiasco we are seeing is the result of a very poor decision by the AD! Unfortunately Purdue does not have the financial resources or deep pocket alumni needed to buy Walter's out and hire a new coach based on a serious coaching search!

I hear you, I'm in the minority here but we have to give him at least 3 yrs. Next year is his 1st true recruiting class. This year had a hard schedule, no UMass, Delaware's, or Tenn St's. Look at other similar schools like Mizzou, Oregon St, and Rutgers. Their coaches need 4 yrs to show what they can do after lousy seasons. Got to be patient. At a program like Purdue it's not going to be an overnight change. Another coach in his 1st yr., Kenny Dillingham at ASU is currently at 1 - 6 and he was a hot commodity.

Giving Walter's time is not the answer. That's like peeing in the ocean and expecting the water level to rise. It will not happen! He's shown he's not head coach caliber. Just because someone was a good assistant is no assurance that he'll be a good head coach, but unfortunately Purdue's out of touch AD does not understand that. The fault for the fiasco we are seeing is the result of a very poor decision by the AD! Unfortunately Purdue does not have the financial resources or deep pocket alumni needed to buy Walter's out and hire a new coach based on a serious coaching search!
unfortunately, you have to give him time. Last year when he was hired, on a roundtable discussion of new hires on ABC it was either Urban or Dan Mullen said Purdue is a very tough place to excell at due to being in a state that doesn't produce alot of elite talent and if there is they go first to nd, mich, or osu and it's not the easiest place to recruit to w/ a somewhat low ceiling to progress at

Who do you realistically think they could get?

I was at the Fresno game (fortunately sold my Ohio state tickets). Not one time did I see him in the huddle or talking to a player. He isn't a head coach. Period.

Nope…shotgun formation.
Idiot…
Idiot idea would have been to have a qb with a shoulder injury try a qb sneak behind an overmatched O line.

I hear you, I'm in the minority here but we have to give him at least 3 yrs. Next year is his 1st true recruiting class. This year had a hard schedule, no UMass, Delaware's, or Tenn St's. Look at other similar schools like Mizzou, Oregon St, and Rutgers. Their coaches need 4 yrs to show what they can do after lousy seasons. Got to be patient. At a program like Purdue it's not going to be an overnight change. Another coach in his 1st yr., Kenny Dillingham at ASU is currently at 1 - 6 and he was a hot commodity.
I would say he gets 3 years, but not “at least”.

Hazell should have been canned after 3 years.

Reactions: pboiler18
I would say he gets 3 years, but not “at least”.

Hazell should have been canned after 3 years.
I think he gets until it’s obvious there’s no progression. That’s blatantly obvious now but you can’t can a guy after year 1. We have 4 more winnable games on the schedule and I think his hot seat level is determined by how he does in those.

If he has a bad year next year with no progression…with how little the buyout we’d owe him I could see us working the back channels for a new coach. If not and year 3 is bad I could see him being a mid year fire-ee

I think he gets until it’s obvious there’s no progression. That’s blatantly obvious now but you can’t can a guy after year 1. We have 4 more winnable games on the schedule and I think his hot seat level is determined by how he does in those.

If he has a bad year next year with no progression…with how little the buyout we’d owe him I could see us working the back channels for a new coach. If not and year 3 is bad I could see him being a mid year fire-ee
What are the buyout amounts?

Who do you realistically think they could get?
There are many lower division head coaches that would certainly be good candidates. Colorado did pretty good by doing that! The problem with the AD's selection is he was looking for accolades for giving a promising assistant minority coach a head coaching opportunity. Some on this forum say give him 3 years. Well that problem with that it will take many years for the program to recover from 3 years of 2 or 3 wins per year, which is what we are most likely looking at!

Reactions: pboiler18
There are many lower division head coaches that would certainly be good candidates. Colorado did pretty good by doing that! The problem with the AD's selection is he was looking for accolades for giving a promising assistant minority coach a head coaching opportunity. Some on this forum say give him 3 years. Well that problem with that it will take many years for the program to recover from 3 years of 2 or 3 wins per year, which is what we are most likely looking at!
If we only win 2-3 games this year and 2-3 games again next year, he’ll be gone.

Colorado is an outlier, they hired a celebrity as a HC. Maybe use Stanford HC Troy Taylor who is 2 -4 in his 1st season and has like the 22nd ranked recruiting class next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin
If we only win 2-3 games this year and 2-3 games again next year, he’ll be gone.
here's some records by other coaches at similar programs

Drinkwitz ( Mizzou ) 5-5, 6-7, 6-7, 6-1, Schiano (Rutgers) 3-6. 5-8, 4-8, 5-2, Smith (Oregon St) 2-10, 5-7, 2-6, 7-6. 10-3, 6-1 Last week Baylor's AD told HC Aranda he has to make changes to his anemic O, currently they are 2 - 4 his career record their 22 -20 yr 4

Last edited:
Reactions: Riveting-
What are the buyout amounts?

I think it's 75% of his annual base salary left - would be $12.375 million after this year and be reduced by just over $3 million each year.

Base Salary #'s with buy-out in ( ) relating to # after season

Year 2: $4,050,000 ($9.337 million)

Year 3: $4,100,000 ($6.262 million)

Year 4: $4,150,000 ($3.150 million)

Year 5: $4,200,000 (free)

From what I've seen, it's 12th in the conference (excluding Tucker @ MSU and Northwestern, which is a private institution) and 44th nationally.

Lets not waste 3 years. The guy isn't even in the team huddle on the side line. Just watch him. He doesn't do much of anything

You may be correct, but I doubt the AD will be willing to admit, so quickly, that he screwed up! Then when he finally comes to his senses, the coach will walk away with a nice nest egg for being a total failure! Being a failure as a football coach is a great way to make money at Purdue!

Did you fools expect to run with OSU this year? Punch yourself in the nuts if you did. Other than UM the next few games are winnable. Let's see how it goes before we whip out the Haze comps.
I didn’t expect to beat them but any well coached football team could compete for awhile at least. Especially when OSU was banged up at RB and has a glorified statue and the definition of average at QB.

Then add in the red zone blunders, the missed FGs…it was a shit show.

I have never seen a HC who is less involved in a game. He stands on the sidelines, like a statue, gazing into space. I wonder if he even knows where he is or if he even cares. He suckered Purdue into giving him a pile of cash that will keep him living comfortably for the rest of his life. Meanwhile, Purdue is stuck with someone who isn't qualified to coach a junior high school team! Way to go AD!

I have never seen a HC who is less involved in a game. He stands on the sidelines, like a statue, gazing into space. I wonder if he even knows where he is or if he even cares. He suckered Purdue into giving him a pile of cash that will keep him living comfortably for the rest of his life. Meanwhile, Purdue is stuck with someone who isn't qualified to coach a junior high school team! Way to go AD!
Kind of reminds me of Frost at Nebraska, I thought he wasn’t in the game and treated bad plays “like oh well , that’s how it is”!

What percentage of a game do you observe him, and are you able to hear what he says in the link to the coaches in the press box?

This info will help us in evaluating the value of your assessment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT