ADVERTISEMENT

Morton

Possibly being in Kaufman's final 3 after many believed he would not play along Furst. This gives me some hope that they were wrong. I definitely can see neither coming as well. I guess, I will hope for the best.
TOS and the national media seem to think we are in a distant third right now for Kaufman.

I also have a tough time believing in Ingram considering all the 5* recruitments we have been letdown by in the past.

Reactions: Poprudy
Anyone who thinks Morton won’t play much is pretty clueless. Ironically if his playing time is limited it will be due to his defense. The “worst offensive player” comments are hilarious.
Give your minutes breakdown for the 6 guards. Which of the other 5 guards is he better than offensively? Are you one of those people that think every freshman is better than the returning players? The truth of the matter is that freshmen that aren't elite recruits don't have a big impact their first year in college basketball.

Give your minutes breakdown for the 6 guards. Which of the other 5 guards is he better than offensively? Are you one of those people that think every freshman is better than the returning players? The truth of the matter is that freshmen that aren't elite recruits don't have a big impact their first year in college basketball.
I believe Morton is ahead of IT and on par with Hunter as a freshman. The PG position is his the following year. Not slighting IT or Hunter at all but, Morton is going to be huge competition for those guys and can do more than they can by getting to the glass and rebounding. He will score at an equal level if not better than Hunter or IT.

Reactions: hoosierdog1
I believe Morton is ahead of IT and on par with Hunter as a freshman. The PG position is his the following year. Not slighting IT or Hunter at all but, Morton is going to be huge competition for those guys and can do more than they can by getting to the glass and rebounding. He will score at an equal level if not better than Hunter or IT.
What makes you think Morton will be able score on a level equal or better than IT or Hunter? Morton is not known for scoring. Averaged around 4 points in AAU.

Hunter may be our best player this year. You are way overestimating Morton. You will be disappointed if you think he will be on par with Hunter this coming season.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
What makes you think Morton will be able score on a level equal or better than IT or Hunter? Morton is not known for scoring. Averaged around 4 points in AAU.

Hunter may be our best player this year. You are way overestimating Morton. You will be disappointed if you think he will be on par with Hunter this coming season.
Have to agree here. Can't see Morton averaging anywhere near the same ppg as Hunter. I think morton will turn out to be a good player, but I also think he's being highly overrated by some regarding how much he'll contribute next season.

Reactions: PurduePete98
Have to agree here. Can't see Morton averaging anywhere near the same ppg as Hunter. I think morton will turn out to be a good player, but I also think he's being highly overrated by some regarding how much he'll contribute next season.
Morton does not have to score a bunch of points to be effective in our offense. Have you guys not seen how generally inept, other than with Cline or Mathias, we have been feeding the post? We have a great post player who is a good passer who rarely got the ball when he was in the proper position. This will lead to other guys getting a ton of wide open threes the next two years. Do you not see that?

Morton does not have to score a bunch of points to be effective in our offense. Have you guys not seen how generally inept, other than with Cline or Mathias, we have been feeding the post? We have a great post player who is a good passer who rarely got the ball when he was in the proper position. This will lead to other guys getting a ton of wide open threes the next two years. Do you not see that?
So then would you agree that just teaching our other guys (all better scorers than Morton) to feed the post properly would be the best strategy?

The comment i was responding to was about Morton's scoring ability next year, not how "effective" he'll be in the offense(whatever that even means).

Reactions: PurduePete98

Your PG doesn’t have to be an elite scorer. PJ averaged 2 points as a freshman, 5 as a sophomore, and 7 as a Junior. Purdue had a lot of success with PJ at the point. The difference? Morton is listed at 6’4 and PJ was listed at 5’10. Morton has potential to be a much better defender earlier in his career based on length. I think if you get Morton to Burton, he has the potential to be one of the best players in the Big.

Now, I don’t think he will start off 20 minutes a game, but if he shows he can handle it, it certainly could happen. I’m just not sure how Hunter and IT will handle full time PG duties yet. If there are turnover issues, I could see Morton moving up. But there is no doubt right now Hunter and IT are way ahead of Morton offensively. I really like both of those players and expect them both to take a big leap forward as their minutes increase.

Reactions: Schnelk
Your PG doesn’t have to be an elite scorer. PJ averaged 2 points as a freshman, 5 as a sophomore, and 7 as a Junior. Purdue had a lot of success with PJ at the point. The difference? Morton is listed at 6’4 and PJ was listed at 5’10. Morton has potential to be a much better defender earlier in his career based on length. I think if you get Morton to Burton, he has the potential to be one of the best players in the Big.

Now, I don’t think he will start off 20 minutes a game, but if he shows he can handle it, it certainly could happen. I’m just not sure how Hunter and IT will handle full time PG duties yet. If there are turnover issues, I could see Morton moving up. But there is no doubt right now Hunter and IT are way ahead of Morton offensively. I really like both of those players and expect them both to take a big leap forward as their minutes increase.
After his freshman year, PJ shot 40+% from 3. He didn't score a ton, but his shooting ability made him a threat. Defenses couldn't pack the lane like they did with Nojel. As far as shooting from deep goes, Morton is far closer to Nojel than he is to PJ. Could that change over the course of his career? Absolutely. Should anyone expect him to be even a decent 3pt shooter (33% and above) his freshman year? Not IMO.

You suggest Morton's height and length will help on defense. I'm actually of the opinion he won't be able to guard opposing teams' PG, because he isn't a quick/fast player. He isn't at all known for his defense. Purdue could easily slide Hunter or Ivey over to guard the PG, but if Morton is a defensive liability and the worst of the 6 guards offensively, should he be getting a ton of minutes when we have 5 other guards? I've long said that I think Morton will be a good player for us down the road. I just don't expect him to help much as a Freshman.

This /\ /\

Reactions: hoosierdog1
After his freshman year, PJ shot 40+% from 3. He didn't score a ton, but his shooting ability made him a threat. Defenses couldn't pack the lane like they did with Nojel. As far as shooting from deep goes, Morton is far closer to Nojel than he is to PJ. Could that change over the course of his career? Absolutely. Should anyone expect him to be even a decent 3pt shooter (33% and above) his freshman year? Not IMO.

You suggest Morton's height and length will help on defense. I'm actually of the opinion he won't be able to guard opposing teams' PG, because he isn't a quick/fast player. He isn't at all known for his defense. Purdue could easily slide Hunter or Ivey over to guard the PG, but if Morton is a defensive liability and the worst of the 6 guards offensively, should he be getting a ton of minutes when we have 5 other guards? I've long said that I think Morton will be a good player for us down the road. I just don't expect him to help much as a Freshman.
Morton is closer to NE than PJ as a shooter from deep is BS. Helen Keller was closer to NE from deep not Morton!

Reactions: Purdue85
You haven’t watched or researched Morton apparently.
I haven't watched him, but nothing in the stats I can find online suggest he's a Nojel level shooter. His AAU stats listed say 8-20 (40%), and I've seen 33% and "a tick under 40%" (via his coach, so take with a huge grain of salt) bothqboth as his high school %.
He's not Dakota, but I think you're selling him a bit short.

Reactions: Purdue85
I haven't watched him, but nothing in the stats I can find online suggest he's a Nojel level shooter. His AAU stats listed say 8-20 (40%), and I've seen 33% and "a tick under 40%" (via his coach, so take with a huge grain of salt) bothqboth as his high school %.

After these numerous years on this forum, I still don't get why people insist on "talking down" recruits.

Show me where his AAU stats show 40% lol. Or even show me where his stats show 33%.

The following link will show you has stats from the 2019 AAU season. He was 1/15 from 3.

http://aaustats.com/seasons/45/players/37380

I’ve watched him live 5 or 6 times. I’ve done the research on his shooting numbers. I’ve viewed what scouts and recruiting analysts say about him. The only place you will see that he is considered even a decent 3pt shooter is on this site.

After these numerous years on this forum, I still don't get why people insist on "talking down" recruits.
How is being realistic about a player’s abilities talking down about them? Stating that a freshman guard isn’t as good offensively as the other 5 guards on the team is not degrading that guard.

In fact, the poster above stating that Morton was equally as good offensively as Hunter or IT would be the closest thing to knocking Purdue players in this thread.

I think it's more important for some people to convince everyone that they no things that you don't and are never wrong than it is to support our recruits. Another good reason to put someone on ignore.

Reactions: Schnelk
Show me where his AAU stats show 40% lol. Or even show me where his stats show 33%.

The following link will show you has stats from the 2019 AAU season. He was 1/15 from 3.

http://aaustats.com/seasons/45/players/37380

I’ve watched him live 5 or 6 times. I’ve done the research on his shooting numbers. I’ve viewed what scouts and recruiting analysts say about him. The only place you will see that he is considered even a decent 3pt shooter is on this site.

This was the first site I found showing 40% in AAU. It looks like 2 years ago, and a small sample size, but here's the link you wanted me to show you.
https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Ethan-Morton/Summary/132641

Here's his coach saying just under 40%
https://theathletic.com/970472/2019...-who-can-do-it-all?source=user-shared-article

Here's an GBI old thread and article Post Gazette 33%
https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/quick-update-on-2020s.187670/

I appreciate that you're a professional high school basketball scout, but I'm just saying I don't believe he's nearly on Nojel's level. And 15 shots is a terrible sample size.

Last edited:
FWIW, having seen Morton in two AAU games, against high level athletes he is a bit slow for a guard, and a bit slow with his shot release. Because of this, he is not a confident shooter and defers to teammates. In lower competition level hs ball he shined.

To venture a guess, Ivey will be significantly more ready to contribute as a freshman. I am a fan of Ivey, and I think he gets less than merited acclaim on this board.

I think there’s a thread here that shows workout videos from Morton and Ivey. While both players’ videos show shots going in, Ivey’s video does so at a much faster pace.

No, everyone does not disagree with me there. @StickPurdue even said in his previous post that Hunter and IT are far ahead of Morton offensively right now. This site has reported not to expect much from Morton in terms of stats this season.

First I would like to point out that saying IT and Hunter being ahead offensively is not a knock on Morton. They are both very good scorers. But, Painter values the ball. And if Morton is better at passing and makes the offense more efficient, he will see the court. Nojel forced and rushed things. It wasn’t just that he couldn’t shoot, he made awful decisions. Comparing Morton to Nojel would be a big mistake.

Second, Morton had one bad AAU year shooting. But his form looked good and he had no issues scoring the ball in the 3 on 3 tournament when he represented team USA. Don’t hold one bad summer against him.

Third, he isn’t slow and unathletic. Nojel was able to shut down the opposing teams best player regardless of speed because of his length. You could see that with Morton. You don’t need Junior/Senior year Dakota on offense for him to get things rolling.

Also, somebody scoring less than 3 points a game isn’t a threat. You aren’t game planning that, I don’t care if he did shoot 40%. If Morton shows he can hit an open 3, you can’t sag off of him like they did on Nojel. Again... PJ had a nice role off the bench and I think Morton will start in a similar fashion. I could see him moving up if those in front don’t take care of the basketball. Morton played on National teams and won’t take a step back as competition increases. He also has a ridiculous court IQ which is why he is such a good passer. I for one am very excited to see him play.

Interesting discussion. If we get to play this year, we will find out who has Morton figured out. 98 makes some great points, and I think he has some solid reasons for his perspective. As a general rule of thumb, I try never to put high expectations on freshmen. The games from high school to college are very different.

On the other hand did not Matt Painter say these two guys could have played last year, and could have helped the team? I think I recall a statement like that. I do trust Painter's scouting more than 98’s scouting, no knock on 98 as Matt is excellent at picking out talent.

Morton sounds like he has a motor to get better and is a gym rat. I'm not saying NE wasn't, but makes me wonder if ol' Tread made him think he was better than he actually was. Wasn't NE recruited as a SG? Then obviously scouts can get things wrong. I think Morton will be just fine.

Last edited:
This was the first site I found showing 40% in AAU. It looks like 2 years ago, and a small sample size, but here's the link you wanted me to show you.
https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Ethan-Morton/Summary/132641

Here's his coach saying just under 40%
https://theathletic.com/970472/2019...-who-can-do-it-all?source=user-shared-article

Here's an GBI old thread and article Post Gazette 33%
https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/quick-update-on-2020s.187670/

I appreciate that you're a professional high school basketball scout, but I'm just saying I don't believe he's nearly on Nojel's level. And 15 shots is a terrible sample size.
The thread you linked is of a guy literally saying he is a Nojel clone haha.

Real GM gets their stats submitted by high school coaches and parents.

I hope he proves me wrong, but I haven’t seen anything from him to expect he will be better than the other 5 guards. For that reason, I think he will have limited playing time (ie. 10-15 mpg).

First I would like to point out that saying IT and Hunter being ahead offensively is not a knock on Morton. They are both very good scorers. But, Painter values the ball. And if Morton is better at passing and makes the offense more efficient, he will see the court. Nojel forced and rushed things. It wasn’t just that he couldn’t shoot, he made awful decisions. Comparing Morton to Nojel would be a big mistake.

Second, Morton had one bad AAU year shooting. But his form looked good and he had no issues scoring the ball in the 3 on 3 tournament when he represented team USA. Don’t hold one bad summer against him.

Third, he isn’t slow and unathletic. Nojel was able to shut down the opposing teams best player regardless of speed because of his length. You could see that with Morton. You don’t need Junior/Senior year Dakota on offense for him to get things rolling.

Also, somebody scoring less than 3 points a game isn’t a threat. You aren’t game planning that, I don’t care if he did shoot 40%. If Morton shows he can hit an open 3, you can’t sag off of him like they did on Nojel. Again... PJ had a nice role off the bench and I think Morton will start in a similar fashion. I could see him moving up if those in front don’t take care of the basketball. Morton played on National teams and won’t take a step back as competition increases. He also has a ridiculous court IQ which is why he is such a good passer. I for one am very excited to see him play.
He actually had two poor AAU seasons. In the link I posted above, you can see his stats from the 2018 AAU season as well. 3V3 isn’t real basketball.

Morton is significantly slower than Nojel. He won’t be in the same universe as Nojel was defensively (although will be much better offensively in time).

I actually expect Morton’s numbers to be very similar to PJ’s freshman year. I think he will be really good in time, but I think it’s a big mistake for anyone to think he will be playing at a high level this year. That isn’t a knock on him specifically. It’s unfair for high freshman expectations of any non elite recruit.

I mean, using the site you linked, he shot 30% in 2018 with a larger sample size. Are you saying that was his other bad AAU Season?

I mean, using the site you linked, he shot 30% in 2018 with a larger sample size. Are you saying that was his other bad AAU Season?
Absolutely. 30% from the high school line against high school competition is really bad. Now when you add both 2018 and 2019 together to create a very large sample size, you get around 22% from 3.

Edit: Including both seasons he was 11/48 (23%) from 3. Even more concerning was his FG% for the two years. He was a combined 33/115 (29%) from the field during the two seasons.

Last edited:
Irrespective of if you think that's really bad, since when is the Nike circuit "high school competition"? It is Elite AAU basketball

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT