ADVERTISEMENT

Morton

ChoiceBeef

All-American
Feb 19, 2017
Lot to be excited about from the short clip.

The way he breaks off the “pick” to get to his spot for the shot. He has a clean release and in perfect alignment toward the basket.

Would like to see him get a chance to work with a Dakota or even Cline on accelerating through the apex of the pick. That is where both became high impact because that is how you got that open look.

The way he breaks off the “pick” to get to his spot for the shot. He has a clean release and in perfect alignment toward the basket.

Would like to see him get a chance to work with a Dakota or even Cline on accelerating through the apex of the pick. That is where both became high impact because that is how you got that open look.

You know who really helped Dakota? Joey Burton.

If Morton is ready right away, then this Purdue team is going to be scary good.

I know you're referring to someone who just transferred, that I won't name. But both Hunter and IT played point last year, and both did a pretty nice job in hitting shots and free throws.

Yes. I'm a fan of both IT and Hunter.

I think we all agree that the defense can sag, and things just don't work well on offense, at those points in the game where your point guard is not threat to make a jump shot. Also, we would also agree that it is a detriment if you must remove a key player at the end of the game because you fear that he might be intentionally fouled.

He's going to be a special player for us. Thanks for sharing.

Think its time to let this die.
I don’t think so. Not until he finds a landing spot. You have no idea how many times we looked the other way and how many times we bent over backwards and how many times we didn’t say what we wanted to say and how many times somebody deleted a thread in the best interest of his mama . She could talk all day long on this board but we could never reply or disagree with her. Period!

I believe eastern is deserving of the same treatment given to every other player who has left. People bash the Johnsons and nobody gives a hoot or complains. So why is eastern still receiving special treatment? Do me he needs to be treated the same as everybody else.

I don’t think so. Not until he finds a landing spot. You have no idea how many times we looked the other way and how many times we bent over backwards and how many times we didn’t say what we wanted to say and how many times somebody deleted a thread in the best interest of his mama . She could talk all day long on this board but we could never reply or disagree with her. Period!

I believe eastern is deserving of the same treatment given to every other player who has left. People bash the Johnsons and nobody gives a hoot or complains. So why is eastern still receiving special treatment? Do me he needs to be treated the same as everybody else.

Bigs, you truly are the king of straw-man arguments.

Can't disagree!

Classic Wole....this is an argument just to have an argument. So until he finds a landing spot we will continue to bring it up ad nauseam???? At what point do you just say "we get it?" We get it! Nothing you are saying is controversial. I think its pretty well acknowledged.

And there was only one Johnson that is bashed (and is brought up SPORADICLY and that's Ronnie for being too saucy....

Classic Wole....this is an argument just to have an argument. So until he finds a landing spot we will continue to bring it up ad nauseam???? At what point do you just say "we get it?" We get it! Nothing you are saying is controversial. I think its pretty well acknowledged.

And there was only one Johnson that is bashed (and is brought up SPORADICLY and that's Ronnie for being too saucy....

the entire message board experience is vastly improved if only a couple posters are placed on ignore.

particularly if that poster chronically has long, rambling, often incoherent posts.

The more you respond the more it prolongs!

He should be fair game. The younger Johnson certainly was and deservedly so.

Reactions: hoosierdog1

While you certainly can only tell so much from a short clip intended to make someone look good, one thing I've noticed from the few clips of him playing (on campus and in HS) is he's much more athletic and stronger than he looks from the neck up. The floppy hair and "skinny" face is a bit misleading.

This kid was a steal from day one. He can fill up his stat sheet....or his teammate's stat sheet. Great size, good head on his shoulders, and athletic enough..... what's not to like? Too bad he can't shoot.;)
It’s funny how quick some of the Loosiers go from
“That recruit can’t shoot, he’s not athletic enough, too short, too big, too tall, yada yada” to “DAMMIT WE LOST TO THEM AGAIN!!! WHERE DOES PAINTER GET THESE GUYS!!!???”

Hasn't the knock on Morton always been his outside shot?
While it's nice to see him knocking down some shots in drills, and maybe he's made a lot of improvement, wasn't there a bunch of video of Eastern doing the same thing?
I'll wait to see what he can do in a college game, with tight D, under pressure, before I get excited about his outside shooting abilities.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
I saw on a quick Google search. 81% and 85% from the FT line. I also saw that he shot over 50% from the field. I saw a 3 point percentage of 33%. These stats were from different years and different articles.

My takeaways:
1. Anyone who shoots above 80% from FT line can shoot.
2. If he shoots over 50% from the field he can shoot.
3. He’s 6’5 ish so he can use his size to get shots. Maybe even drive theblane decently.
4. 33% isn’t great, but he’s a threat. He will work on it and may get in the high 30’s at some point. That is not out of the question but he would need work. Definitely achievable.

If he’s as good of a facilitator as people say, he will be a huge asset to the team. The team will function at an above average level offensively for the foreseeable future. We would have a chance to be elite.

Defensively, we will miss the athleticism of the 2 departing guys. I think we more than make up for it with better offense. Not worried.

From his highlights a lot of his assists appear to come from creating transition opportunities. Hopefully we'll have some bigs on the court the next few years who can run the court, reliably catch the ball on the move, and finish. The transition game could be a big area of improvement.

I saw on a quick Google search. 81% and 85% from the FT line. I also saw that he shot over 50% from the field. I saw a 3 point percentage of 33%. These stats were from different years and different articles.

My takeaways:
1. Anyone who shoots above 80% from FT line can shoot.
2. If he shoots over 50% from the field he can shoot.
3. He’s 6’5 ish so he can use his size to get shots. Maybe even drive theblane decently.
4. 33% isn’t great, but he’s a threat. He will work on it and may get in the high 30’s at some point. That is not out of the question but he would need work. Definitely achievable.

If he’s as good of a facilitator as people say, he will be a huge asset to the team. The team will function at an above average level offensively for the foreseeable future. We would have a chance to be elite.

Defensively, we will miss the athleticism of the 2 departing guys. I think we more than make up for it with better offense. Not worried.
He didn’t shoot 3s often in high school, so that’s how he was over 50% from the field. He was an awful shooter in AAU which is where the “can’t shoot” label comes from.

I’m not ready to say he’s fixed his shooting woes based on a 30 second video where he hits 3 in a row.

Very smart player. GREAT passer. Very good teammate. I’m just going to need to see him hit some threes in games before believing he turned the corner there.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
I know and Joey also helped Carsen. Wondered why we didn’t have anyone on this years team use him?
Word is Nojel was setup to work with Joey but refused and instead worked back at home last summer. I have heard a number of different reasons why it didn’t come to fruition but obviously we know the results of what occurred by not going.

He didn’t shoot 3s often in high school, so that’s how he was over 50% from the field. He was an awful shooter in AAU which is where the “can’t shoot” label comes from.

I’m not ready to say he’s fixed his shooting woes based on a 30 second video where he hits 3 in a row.

Very smart player. GREAT passer. Very good teammate. I’m just going to need to see him hit some threes in games before believing he turned the corner there.

I agree. I think he’s got potential to be a good shooter/scorer from 18 feet in. I am saying I see signs that he could be an above average shooter. He probably won’t be great as it’s. It his natural strength.

I agree that I want to see it play out at the college level before I make any true judgment.

For some reason, this kid reminds me of Dakota Mathias. Hope he has the same impact.

Yeah....can see some similarities in mannerisms....look, etc. 'Ol Pennsylvania Cowboy could maybe pass for one of Stockburn's Deputies.....hopefully with a much better end result. If he develops anywhere close to DM's shot......yikes.....sky's the limit.

Looking forward to seeing him and Branden Newman, Jaden Ivey, and Mason Gillis work their way into the team....hopefully in just a couple of months.

CMP has his limitations so far on the recruiting front - but not toward knowing talent and the nuances of the game - when he said Mr. Morton was ready last year, I took that to heart and as high praise - also his passing skills and just knowing what/how it takes to win. We shall see......ok.....now removing my Old Gold & Black glasses.

Boiler up, my friends.

985e61c6a0416ef5aa01861e9c703035.jpg

Word is Nojel was setup to work with Joey but refused and instead worked back at home last summer. I have heard a number of different reasons why it didn’t come to fruition but obviously we know the results of what occurred by not going.
He needed to be at home to get his head right!

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
Hasn't the knock on Morton always been his outside shot?
While it's nice to see him knocking down some shots in drills, and maybe he's made a lot of improvement, wasn't there a bunch of video of Eastern doing the same thing?
I'll wait to see what he can do in a college game, with tight D, under pressure, before I get excited about his outside shooting abilities.
To my eye, there is no comparison between Eastern and Mortons shot. Eastern had way to many moving parts and they were erratic and disjointed. Mortons shot looks good! I would put my money on Morton being a good shooter throughout his career.

JohnnyDB, good to see you are still here. I sent you an email around 2 months ago to the address in the moderator area. Did you get my email? Care to respond?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT